/osrg/ - old school rot general

Hey man, can we hold off on the copyright infringement for future threads?

Totally understand that most here are probably not content producers, but some of us are. cavegirl is totally cool in a game/in context, but she's not necessarily someone I want to associate with. As the most known namefag of OSRG, it feels like taking part in this thread implies my support of piracy.

Have always found the OSR crowd to be inclusive, just want to stay part of the discussion. Thank you :)

>Previous thread:

>Trove:
pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

Other urls found in this thread:

incunabuli.com/2017/02/on-books.html
paperspencils.com/2013/08/26/a-use-for-bookshelves-rumor-tables/
youtube.com/watch?v=K5CZ74ybnbE
mirrorworld.co.uk/news/index.php/chinese-mirror-myths/
jrients.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-dumbest-sword-ever.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-table-of-camp-followers.html
campaignwiki.org/wiki/LinksToWisdom/Non_Player_Characters
patreon.com/wizardthieffighter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I kinda hate that the sarcastic/irony of Veeky Forums humor has morphed into utter insincerity and bait at all times.

This isn't Reddit, you don't get points for getting (you's). There is so much garbage on the internet, why contribute to it. Why can't you just have a normal conversation, like a normal human being without resorting to bait.

>utter insincerity and bait
Not all jokes you don't like are bait. Some aren't up your alley. Some just aren't funny.

He's purposely baiting because he knows that for one people on Veeky Forums pirate a lot of shit and except for shitposters on /v/ no one cares about copyright infringement. And two inclusive is a hot buzzword right now used by liberal media.

>Wow this generic capeshit movie has black people so inclusive

>We should dumb down ttrpgs to make the hobby more inclusive, stop gatekeeping baka!

This is intentional bait, not a joke.

Hope you all enjoyed the OP picture for the last thread.

Any requests for tables or encounters?

Reposting this from last thread

So, I'm mucking around with ACKS and thinking of creating some cleric variants, specifically neutral and chaotic ones. I've got most of the spells worked out, but I'm conflicted on whether the Craftpriest should be able to take up these alternate faiths. On the one hand, they /are/ a cleric of sorts. On the other hand, dwarves are traditionally lawful, so letting them be neutral, never mind chaotic feels...wrong.

Heartbreaking Works of Poetic or Literary Genius Found Half-Burned In A Pile (and their summaries)

>He's
It's lost now, but when you posted you could have told from the poster count that I was OP.
You can say to don't trust me but you CANNOT say my speculation is wrong. It's not speculation.

Things that get you when your foot falls asleep.

incunabuli.com/2017/02/on-books.html
or
paperspencils.com/2013/08/26/a-use-for-bookshelves-rumor-tables/
or
just window dressing?

Yeah pretty much like the first one.

Gee bill how come your Mom lets you have TWO OSR threads?

Because my Mom is blase about childhood obesity.
>Things that get you when your foot falls asleep.
I am suddenly worried in a way I have never been worried before.
Make up separate Dwarven alternates? Fire fellows, organization fellows, metal fellows, delving fellows?

>13th Ebb
Detailed account of the beginning and end of the world before this one.

>Goosesong
Satire of the late king's war of succession. All the battles are replaced with orgies, and so on.
Uses failed historical figures as stand-ins for the author's (quite successful) political rivals.

>Godfather Death
Similar to the actual work by the same name.
Includes surprisingly detailed instructions for apprenticing newborns to death.

>Sasafrus's Last Theorem
A 30 page proof for some highly abstract math problem, all in tiny font. Has a symphony encoded in it.
Worth a duke's ransom if you can get the opera house and wizard's tower to start a bidding war.

Some OC. The treasures are kind of meant to be things both the monsters treasure, and the things humans can steal from them for money.

>To Serve Man
heh
Thanks for the goodies as always.

4 reminds me of the golden silk orb-weaver shawl and cape. For reference, they took 3.2 million spiders and 6 years to make.

OSR was a mistake

Settings bloat was a mistake.

Paying per word was a mistake.
And they say it's still haunted by all 3.2 million spider ghosts. By my estimate, they form a cloud "way too fucking big" across.
Nice!
Also nice.

Your image conflicts with the words of your post, you offer only baseless praise and no constructive critique.

But I am le tired.
In both cases, the content is both light and difficult to critique. It might not be what I would have done... but I didn't do it, and it's got good ideas in it. It's existence is a net positive; the maximum possible value provided is low. Critique to "improve" them wouldn't really do much.

Rolled 7 (1d50)

>And they say it's still haunted by all 3.2 million spider ghosts.
Far more than that! They only used female spiders, and a lot of spiders they caught ate each other.

As utility goes, 19 and 23 seem like they give they most mileage. 48 might come close.

>Far more than that! They only used female spiders, and a lot of spiders they caught ate each other.

They also had to catch the spiders by hand, since they don't breed in captivity. Some rich bastard in the late 1800s had a bed canopy made of the stuff.

>Have harmless sucker cups inside their mouth- jump onto bipedal creatures that pass by and wrap their mouth around their head.
>Since the majority are either undead, golems, or wearing helmets they often don't notice and the fish can use them to jump between different underground bodies of water.
>Very startling to get your head swallowed by a fish if you aren't in the above category, but not dangerous.
>You get +1 AC to the first attack aimed at your head with this fish on it.
Was Robert de Masmines the inspiration?

What is this? Also, probably?

He's exactly the guy pictured. A well off German knight from the turn of the 15th century.

We also have two near-identical naturalistic painting of him by a famous painter, for some reason.

The fish bit, not the Robert de Masmines bit; I know who Robert de Masmines is. Where's the fish from?

Oh. Mansefag's blog. Apropos of that, it occurs to me that flying squid in caves would be pretty spooky.

Any OSR resources for underwater campaigns? I've been mulling over writing one, but didn't know how to communicate depth well on a map.

Skerples Veinscrawl hexmap with its depth being colour coded and distances being relative, seems perfect for such a concept.

Cave squid are pretty standard.
Cave cuttlefish would be scary too: youtube.com/watch?v=K5CZ74ybnbE
Floating Eyes from the AD&D MM remind me of these guys.

>Skerples Veinscrawl hexmap with its depth being colour coded and distances being relative, seems perfect for such a concept.
Don't bite. It's really, truly and example of driving screws with a hammer. His clay caves thing suits your needs well though. Maybe use toothpicks to indicate height above surfaces?

It's not even done yet, user! Too early to judge it. Let me publish it with notes and /then/ you can belittle it.

Think about it. Everyone is midning their own business, walking through a dry cave then all of a sudden everyone is wet, a few people have fallen over, and the torches have gone out.

Oh~ no~! People comparings threads in the morning will see one more post in ours!
We heard you the first two times. No need to repeat yourself.

_Would it_ kill you to do a pointcrawl?

And it could be anything! Goblins with water buckets! Kobolds shooting murderous lampreys from blowguns. An incursion from the Nightmare Sea. A sudden flash flood somewhere above.

But user, a hexcrawl /is/ a pointcrawl, just a dense and highly connected one. Also, you know the exact length of each path from node to node.

Fantastic hydraulicking squid.

Not even slightly, but it would completely miss the point for this particular application.

A pointcrawl is Interesting Things separated by Paths. Works for some scenarios, but not for this one.

A hexcrawl is just Interesting Things. Every hex a feature. Hexes are just a way to track paths and distance and time. In a maze of caves, without clear paths, without clear relationships between locations, a pointcrawl would feel limiting. How do you go in circles in a pointcrawl? And even if you can, wouldn't a hexcrawl do it better?

Considering how twisty and turny the tunnels would get, that doesnt seem like useful information. If you wanted to space nodes out on a pointcrawl to always represent equal travel time, you totally could.

How does /osrg/ feel or present "ego" or "intelligent" weapons?

Personally, I like the idea of them since it gives fighters a reason to conquer really powerful legendary weapons or armors late into the game. However I prefer them less on the nose; they don't talk or necessarily possess your character if they try to wield it without a high enough level or skill. They're more like the one ring, which will subtly betray you if you aren't powerful enough to master it.

so /osrg/ what are some interesting things you'd use as inspiration for an adventure, personally I think a Yoon-Suin or maybe a Weird Adventures campaign based on The Fauna of Mirrors concept would be pretty bitching if done right;

mirrorworld.co.uk/news/index.php/chinese-mirror-myths/

>so /osrg/ what are some interesting things you'd use as inspiration for an adventure

Mostly video games- Legend of Zelda's Breath of the Wild and Monster Hunter world at the moment. I've also been considering going to my local library and renting out some Conan books to get into the Sword & Sorcery mood; though I'm sure I could just pirate some online easier.

I'm going to rewrite the spell list because I'm a hipster.

Wish me luck. Advice is also appreciated.

>Unnameable delights and strange dalliances one could partake of in a decadent, orientalist port where almost anything is allowed

Stuff like:

>Having your feet tickled by a giantess using feathers from a Golden Rukh

shit like that

Nice, thanks!

What’re you trying to achieve by rewriting the spell list?

Monsters in an abandoned extradimensional garden.

Nice

Not really.

Best of luck. Do try to think about your spells in a dungeon context.

Yeah, I'm kind of curious as to where you're going with this. I did the same thing, but towards a specific overall game design goal.

Do you run play online? What's it like? Is prepping and running a game any different than face to face play?

>Splitting the thread

Good job guys, real great way of making things better

Hey OP, you forgot the copypasta

>Do you run play online?
Yeah

>What's it like?
A lot more convenient

>Is prepping and running a game any different than face to face play?

Yeah, but in a good way. Personally my group uses Roll20, but there's many different tools and ways of doing it. Roll20 has a built in grid, music players, built in character sheets, random tables and things like that to make life a bit easier

Some people prefer Tabletop Simulator (For those people who miss rolling dice too much) or Maptools (for oldfags)

Guys, go to the actual thread

They're the ones who split it and that pasta changes every week.

Don't worry user, I can appreciate the joke.

There's a hacker class on goblinpunch. It's not GLoG specific, but it's only 2 levels and you could port it directly.

jrients.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-dumbest-sword-ever.html

Not really a huge fan. They seem more obnoxious than anything. And that's without having to deal with the moral issues. Is an intelligent item a person with natural rights?

Was thinking lately about plundering La-Mulana for dungeon crawling material. Both the concept of La-Mulana (an entity that have spawned civilizations to carry her back to the stars) and how each civilization built on top of the other is a nice seed for a big dungeon.

>La Mulana

Now THAT'S a game I haven't heard of in a while

The concept of a megadungeon filled with deathtraps and all sorts of ancient goodies, runes, and mythological beasts from all over the world is perfect for a OSR game, I'll probably be stealing that idea

Are natural rights a well established concept in your setting? It's certainly not a medieval concept.
If nothing else, magic swords have rights to anything they can bargain for. A share of treasure, at least.

I've never used them, but putting a trusted player in charge of them might work nicely.

I need to get around playing that. It's been in my backlog for ages.

They are in my mind, at least. And the "morality" of the setting's primary church typically follows my own for the most part.

You do you, but if you haven't tried branching out you should at least give further away views a shot. Roleplaying isn't just for players!

Is that meant as an xp tax or as a bonus for the owner?

What happens when a party member dies? Do they just wait two hours till the party completes the dungeon and comes back to town?

Depends on the situation. Ideally, you give them control of a hireling for the rest of the session. Then when they make it back to town, you can promote them to a level one whatever, assuming you hadn't been employing hirelings with class levels.

If they're idiotic enough to travel without backup, have already exhausted their hirelings through repeated application of the previous case, or are high level enough to not need hirelings, that's when things get tricky. If it makes sense, I'll have them find a replacement PC outside or even inside the dungeon. They will have to wait a while and the replacement PC will be level one and have no gear.

In the worst case scenario, they have to wait until they get back into town. The only advantage of this process is that it gives the player some time to create a decent personality and short backstory for their new character. I don't like lavish histories, but I do like my Players' PCs to have come from somewhere and a good reason to tag along.

>high level enough to not need hirelings
I never realized carrying capacity scaled to level.

>A fighting retreat allows a character to move backwards at
>1/2 normal encounter movement. However, there must be a
>clear path for this movement.

>A full retreat occurs when a character moves backwards at a
>faster rate than 1/2 of encounter movement. The character
>making the movement forfeits his attack this round, and his
>opponent attacks with a +2 to hit. In addition, if the retreating
>character is carrying a shield, it does not apply to the
>character's armor class during the retreat.
>Any attacks made on characters from behind ignore the
>influence of the attacked character's shield, if any.

If one combatant makes a full retreat, do you let the opponent to make an immediate attack "out of turn", that is, as a "reaction"/attack of opportunity?

Are MU's allowed to use staff's?

Yes, unless the opponent's encounter movement is less than half of the retreating combatant's.

No but they can use canes and walking-sticks

So this happens AFTER the retreater moves? And the attacker has to follow them? Not immediately when they turn their back as an "attack of opportunity"?

As in 2e, for example:
>The enemy is allowed a free attack ... at the rear of the fleeing character. This attack is made the instant the character flees

I was replaying it lately and there's so much of this game that fills in the OSR mold it's crazy.

The idea that all civilizations in the world are "childrens" created by "Mother" who fell from the stars. They develop civilization, mythologies, built on top of La-Mulana, fail to return Mother to the stars, are destroyed by mother and replaced by a new civilization.

And the sections of the Dungeon: the Endless Corridor, the Twins Labyrinth, the Tomb of the Giants, the Temple of the Sun and its mirror the Temple of the Moon, when you discover that each area has a mirror one... Finding towers that were planned to be used as space rockets.

This whole game is waiting to be reused as modules.

Yeah, the "Back fields" of each part of the Dungeon will probably fuck with PC's once that's discovered (Yeah, the dungeon is actually twice as long as you thought it would be)

Also you can get into some fun white plume mountain shit with the Tower of the Goddess

Oh, and the gate of illusion will be FUN

Oh yeah, it's an "attack of opportunity." I don't think this is explicitly clarified in anywhere but 2e, so it's all up to interpretation. The reason I use the whole half speed restriction is for really fast characters going up against slowpokes where it's plausible they could turn and run before the enemy could reach out to whack them.

Only if they known STAFF.

I did? Sorry, I don't think I've seen the art version of B/X essentials, come to think of it.

Running a 2e game with a cult of evil clerics, trying to summon a demon.

They're gathering items for a ritual to gate a lesser Tana'ri in. What should they have to get?

>2e

FOE GYG

See, with 2E's one minute combat, wouldn't this actually mean that their attack this round is made at +2 if they make one? Simultaneous combat and all?

Make your own thread.

What?

>being this new

aight

Pretty sure LotFP or Carcosa has plenty of rules for stuff like this, but if not:

-Liver of a blasphemer, executed for crimes
-Silver used to pay for a murder
-Dog with two front white paws and to black rear paws
-sulphur
-dribbly candles made from particularly evil bees (ask the local beekeepers; they know).
It's a dumb meme, user. You're silly.

An anegl's feather, nails from the coffin of a falsely accused but guilty criminal, and an the aid of an honest politician. Or three small bits of wood and 4cc of mouse blood..

Didn't you hear? Scrap Princess illustrated B/X Essentials. For real though, Luka Rejec makes good art.

He could be an old guy who's only just returned. It's a fairly recent in-joke.

Not even sure where to start. Every part of this is wrong.

Please don't.

Didn't you hear? Scrap Princess illustrated the Sistine Chapel. It's called the Sistine Scrapel now.
Also, UV Grasslands is amazing. I am much excited for grassland times.

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-table-of-camp-followers.html
campaignwiki.org/wiki/LinksToWisdom/Non_Player_Characters

awesome, thanks ppl
well shit too late

Good job, thread.

Oh /osrg/. So special.

I already got great stuff from just two posts in this thread alone. That thread I made can die honestly, I only saw these two posts a second after I made that one.

The cambion's umbilical cord seems like a good component to make sure you get the right incubus. Also any uncashed child support checks.

>UV Grasslands is amazing

¿Que es?

>Our psychedelic metal stratometaship has landed in the weird para-apocalyptic steppelands criss-crossed by wandering caravans, biomechanical weirdness, master cats, and a mysterious rainbow-predilection. This is the art-loaded, heavy-metal inspired, RPG point-crawling patreon you've always wanted to support.

Luka Rejec's setting.

Do they have a specific demon in mind?
Because I like the idea of thematic stuff
>weapons for mariliths
>burnt/shocked things for balors