/osrg/ OSR General

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Trove:
pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd

>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous thread:
That other thread will be a shithole, I promise you.

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/m/product/64332
docs.google.com/document/d/17e1ltFE_rjXfBHI1HRXiU5GIngrO35BlqHMD9s3M578/edit?usp=sharing
kickstarter.com/projects/pandesmos/the-swordfish-islands-hot-springs-island-an-rpg-he
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the most OSR magic item you've made, Veeky Forums?

I don't let them have magic items. But my favorite magic item is the +1 Mace

How come?

I small item that "changes the moon and the night sky". In actuality it replaces the entire planet with another's orbit somewhere else in the universe and who knows where you might end up or what might happen.

Who says they were for PCs? What about the staff of turn into toad the goblin shaman gets that turns into a toad when they die?

Because I'm going to kneecap you with it.

Shepherd's crook of Turn Undead.
Point it at any skeleton to rotate them 90 degrees. Very useful when getting an undead army to march in formation.

Worth using?

>Adds randomness to character creation
>Creative.
>Won't break the game.
>Fun

Yes.

>rpgpundit has always seemed like a whiny grating bitter faggot
>turns out he’s also an alt-right asshole
Quelle surprise

>[5] Evoker
>HD- d4
>saves- As MU
>Forces of arcane magic and elemental power flow through you. Each day, equal to your level+1, you may Evoke a blast of elemental energy. This requires a d20+Evoker level attack roll and, if successful, deals 1d6 in magic damage. Against enemy's that are weak to it, it deals 2d6.
As badly written as this is, I'm intrigued by the idea of elementalists. Are there any good OSR classes like that? Innate spell-learning blaster casters?

Better than the faggots at RPGS.net. I don't think there could be a more gay website.

Shut the fuck up, enough politics

So if you were to give each player a magic ability, how would you say this characters gained it? via a pact? training?

Their choice. Could be inherent, could be via training, could be a pact. Depending on how it was acquired the ability could have different strengths or perhaps incur an XP debt (lose 10% of the next 1,000 XP you gain, as an example) or some other drawback.

Is BRP an OSR? After DnD must be the oldest one, and plenty of people is doing a sort of renaisence with it.

What "Greg Gorgonmilk" doesn't understand is that this wasn't political, one of the easiest ways to grow your audience in OSR is to cannibalize another developer and to do this if people can't take what you said out of context they will straight up lie.

Sorta? BRP has always been somewhat the same, hell, the new editions are even better than the old ones. People suggest RQ6/Mythras over anything else.
OSR is kind of based around the fact that all the old D&D stuff is better than the new stuff in most if not all aspects, plus we have our bevy of Dragon and White Dwarf magazines to draw content from.

>Currently Smoking: Lorenzetti Oversize + H&H's Chestnut
T O P K E K

This is some of the cringiest shit I’ve read in my life

Again, no.

>cannibalize another developer
He was kicked out of a fucking DM thread for posting memes. Y’all motherfuckers need to stop hyperventilating.

>Y’all

Friends expressed in playing ttrpg, and I thought of using OSR.
I was skimming through swords and wizardry core rules which look interesting. Would you recommend it for beginner play?
Another question, how do you know which modules are compatible out of the box with which system?

One of the cornerstones of OSR is that you should be able to put content from one system into any other OSR system with minimal work.

Y'all motherfuckas need Jesus.

S&W is a fine choice for starters. It's mostly a clone of original D&D from 1974, with a few small changes -- notably the five saving throws are folded into one, which is easier on the bookkeeping, but doesn't let you say cool stuff like "save versus death" anymore. So it's a tradeoff.

Y'all missing the point.

It really isn't senpai.

Honestly, I'd rather have one universal save throw, it should flow better.
What would be a good module for beginner players (and a not so confident GM)?

>What would be a good module for beginner players (and a not so confident GM)?
The Keep on the Borderlands.

There is absolutely no way in hell a non-thief can lockpick and remove traps, especially with 50% odds. Get the fuck out of here.

Why the shit does DCC have no rules about dungeon exploration

Isn't DCC mostly about "hilarity ensues during combat"?

Cause it has XP for combat, so getting in and out with the loot quickly is not the game

I'm pretty sure DCC is a joke system that somehow took off.

I dunno, it's got a really great origin story.

Not that user, but probably because he wants magic items to actually feel magical

There's an adventure that is meant for S&W beginners called MCVII or something, look around for it online, it's free and pretty good

Tomb of the serpent king is good (despite the memes), as is Tower of the Stargazer

If you really don't want any of those just go with the classics: either B2 or B4

Because dungeon exploration isn't the point, it's more about cool room interactions, solving puzzles and creatively winning combat (or winning by pure luck with a spell)

Has anybody a combined edition of B/X and can share it? (Not LL)

>Not LL
Why?

Anyways, I'm 98% sure there's a combined B/X in the trove

I have a copy, but for some reason they changed it to ascending AC.

drivethrurpg.com/m/product/64332

Does anyone have the LL AEC with pictures? Both versions in the trove are picture free and I need them to entertain my puny brain inbetween reading the big bad words

B/X Essentials by Necrotic Gnome is probably the most faithful combined B/X if you don't want LL.

B/X is more concise. LL changed a lot just for copyright reasons.

Thanks. Seen this before but didn't save it.

That's LL.

Nice idea but not finished and for such small rules I don't get why there needs to be 4 books.

If WotCs realizes it's a good idea, they may just make the originals print on demand like they have with the Rules Cyclopedia. Can't wait for mine to come in.

>for such small rules I don't get why there needs to be 4 books.
I've got a theory that it's a cost-cutting method so they can offer "premium heavyweight" much cheaper than if they were bound together.

They already have at dmsguild.com. Just not in a combined edition.

Those are pdf only, not pod.

Did you get the RC in softcover or hardcover? Not sure which is better desu. My 5e hardcovers are falling apart

I prefer hardcover as a rule, so I got that. I already have an old copy, but it'll be nice to have a newer one.

Also a warning: the quality of shit from Necrotic Gnome dropped off a cliff from after they unpersoned Greg, avoid anything past Wormskin Issue 6.

It's "not OSR" because it has modern design elements and is not compatible with OSR material. It is old school, and it's a nifty system (I've heard excellent things about Mythras/RQ6), but it's very heavy, very crunchy.

Yes, you're right. Strange decision.

GHOST TRACKER
docs.google.com/document/d/17e1ltFE_rjXfBHI1HRXiU5GIngrO35BlqHMD9s3M578/edit?usp=sharing

>Posts one of the worst game creators of the century
Triggered.

Reading through this I already found something that was left out. Retainers from page B21. I am disapoint.

Then you'll really hate when I bring up Auto-tomato as a reference point for OSR.

It's pretty good. Even if you aren't part of the Gamma World crowd, the apocalypse being so far back that the pawns of the two great powers are wondering what they're even doing anymore since the bosses have long since turned to dust WORKS in OSR. A proxy war between constructs with no creators is a good hook.

Maybe we'll bug Skerples into making a hacker class for GLOG

Why would I hate a good plot? Unless you're saying they'll do a shit job with it.

Guys, go to the actual thread

Make sure to hide posts and not give him You's.

No it doesn't, it has XP for encounters. Encounters =/= combat.

"Each encounter is worth from 0 to 4 XP, and those XP
are not earned merely by killing monsters, disarming
traps, looting treasure, or completing a quest. Rather,
successfully surviving encounters earns the characters
XP in DCC RPG. A typical encounter is worth 2 XP, and
the system scales from 0 to 4 depending on difficulty."

B&X
>they changed it to ascending AC.
>I found something that was left out. Retainers from page B21. I am disapoint.

B/X Essentials
>for such small rules I don't get why there needs to be 4 books.

Then there's that thing that's just Labyrinth Lord and it's AEC copy-pasted.

Why can't anyone combine B/X without fucking it up? Is it like trying to draw Sonic all normal?

The B/X Essentials line is because the author specifically wanted it broken up: the character book for players, the spells for wizards, etc. But he's said that when it's all done he'll be combining it all into one book for those who want that option too. In the meantime each release gives a chance for any errata to be caught through to the final, which is nice.

This should be done for DCC instead.

Just discovered that the B/X essential stuff is available for free in text. That is fucking awesome. Gonna include my house rules right in the text.

>Why can't anyone combine B/X without fucking it up?
Because It's the same fucking people, there's a tiny group (

Does anybody know of an "injury recovery table"? To determine whether your wounds get infected, etc...

Also funnily enough Skerples acquired art from the same guy who did a lot of art for B/X essential because fuck having a unique product identity.

Anyone have any good tables/resources/charts for hirelings?

Can someone fix Greyharp's OD&D rules please?

Delving Deeper?

I really like the idea of mechanics that encourage characters to act the part. For example, Magic-Users are often characterized as ardent scholars of forbidden lore, and the spellbook mechanic encourages MU players to be constantly on the hunt for new spells.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much limited to MUs, and there aren't really in-game rewards for engaging in certain behaviors. How can I use mechanics in a similar way to encourage Clerics to act like Clerics, Thieves to act like Thieves, and Fighters to act like Fighters?

Check ACKS

Hike up thief XP requirements just a /little/ bit and give them more XP from stealing shit. Alternatively, give them bonus XP for the most valuable thing they stole whenever they return to town. Fighters...I dunno. If your issue is that they're not getting into fights as much as you like, maybe beef up their combat abilities, maybe a cleave ability of some sort. Clerics are even trickier. I'd recommend Arnold's "Towards a Better Cleric" post, but in play it kind of sucks. You didn't mention elves and dwarves, but one way I've found to ham them up is to slightly boost their abilities (or lower their XP requirements a bit) and slap some thematic folkloric restrictions on them.

>encourage Clerics to act like Clerics
That was the entire point of alignment, but people couldn't wrap their head around the idea that a god of justice and law wouldn't appreciate a chaotic mass murder.

Clerics abilities are emboldened by great and pious deeds done in the name of their god.

How so? In most systems Clerics cast spells just like MUs, their power isn't dependent on deeds.

Sure, if the Cleric starts robbing peasants the DM can rule that their deity strips them of their powers. But gameplay-wise there's no difference between a good-aligned adventurer with Cleric written on his character sheet, and a Cleric who prays to his deity, raises temples, attracts followers, feeds the poor, etc..

This is in stark contrast to the Wizard, whose wizardly behaviors are rewarded with extra spells for his book.

>s. How can I use mechanics in a similar way to encourage Clerics to act like Clerics,
Make it so cleric spells aren't prepared by sitting there meditating. Instead, performing a particular religious rite prepares a particular spell.
For example,in order to prepare Cure Light Wounds, you have to hear somebody's confession. To prepare Purify Food And Drink, you need to say grace over a meal. Etc etc.
Suddenly the cleric is doing religious rites day to day.

>slightly boost their abilities (or lower their XP requirements a bit)
remove level limits, give them folklory limits instead.

Does anyone have the Heroic Fantasy Handbook for ACKS, or AXIOMS issues 2-4?

>cavegirl
give her -4 strength

>cave
-2 strength, you fuck

Zak Sabbath is cool enough to put a GWAR graphic on this or was it someone else?

kickstarter.com/projects/pandesmos/the-swordfish-islands-hot-springs-island-an-rpg-he
Not Zak. The kickstarter is over, but this is the book that's from. It's been well received by those who've got a copy, but is pretty new and books are only available in the US so word has been a bit slow to get out. PDFs are available though.

He was talking about GWAR you fool, not that map.

He asked who put the graphic on the map.

How should I stat a PC lich in Godbound? How do I do the same in Basic Fantasy?

Holy shit you're dumb.

a+ contribution, friendo

>Sorta
This is a point that gets made far too little when it comes to pointless bickering over where the borders of the OSR sit.

Most other games don't change that much when new editions come out. BRP has always pretty much stayed BRP. I'm not familiar enough with either WFRP or WoD to know exactly how they've changed, but I know that new editions of those games tend to be reviled compared to their earlier versions—and, D&D excluded, they're the outliers. Most RPGs just don't change that much.

But D&D got bought out by a company which has, since 2000, released three separate and mutually incompatible replacement systems, none of which are genuinely akin to TSR D&D in spirit. D&D need the OSR; other games mostly don't.

Hello thread, as stupid as your OP might be, we'll be joining you shortly. Congratulations on lasting this long.

What's wrong with this OP? He used his occult power to make a prediction, and it came true.

It wasn't a shithole, more of a crap-pit. Also, I actually like this version of the satanic OP pic than the usual red one. The dice eyes are a nice touch.

I call them as I see them.

Same here, putting "okkult satanic ritual general" in the image really gets that Satanic Panic thing across, too.

>No! Blackleaf is dead!

We can go blunter.