/wfg/ Warhammer Fantasy General

Majestic Boobsnake Edition

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/2EJLZq7a
WFRP: pastebin.com/NX6t6eYa
Novels: pastebin.com/Uzp9RQ9i

>We're looking for these novels for the archive:
pastebin.com/t5kdcfVm

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/WQTJDtUV

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

>Warhammer Video Games.
pastebin.com/396cm1Jp

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisse_(folklore)
ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/020/168/211/e36ae041c22575546440c13cc6bc58fa_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1518102566&auto=format&q=92&s=321af01f08eb31ce9307f0d65ecc4326
ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/020/168/321/3d648098768b457279fef13c0ea259c7_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1518103089&auto=format&q=92&s=752856a89d3b57dcc462a0eff16951fe
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do you think WHFRP 2e would be better if attacks were tested to hit based on opposed WS tests between the attacker and defender opponents rather than a fixed value regardless of how characters compare to each other?

While Parrying and Dodging does indeed represent opponents acting against their opponents chances of hitting them I don't think it does well. Low WS opponents are still rarely hitting opponents and those same characters are rarely dodging their opponents as well.

I personally think that parrying should only be a thing if your character is actively doing so, either with a parry stance or carrying a shield/buckler. Don't know what to do with Dodging.

With those two modifications, low WS enemies are going to have good chances of hitting each other and an unskilled opponent will have reduced chances of hitting a skilled opponent, instead of equal chances of hitting a skilled and unskilled opponent. In a similar manner, striking a helpless opponent should hit automatically.

>Friendly reminder that models can't be moved out of contact with enemy models during combat, command models must always be placed in the front rank and morathi will never sit on your face

I just bought some templates off of ebay because my flgs is filled with thieves but chose the THICK green 40k city fight (spl?) set, are they the same dimensions as fantasies?

Also some 15ml dropper bottles to swap my citadel paints into, does anyone have any recommendations for good medium brands?
Don't want to over thin the paints, especially the base coats as I'm repainting my dark elves red.

Just imagine, if you serve Slaanesh well you can BECOME that boobsnake. Or if you serve Slaanesh poorly. It kind of breaks down the same really.

yeah theyre the same. i think the templates originally came from fantasy.

Sure. Opposed WS tests for melee combat, BS vs AGI for ranged attacks. Each degree of success is +1 damage.
Be mindful with modifiers.
Make dodging a half action, as well.

But the Boobsnake is a Daemon.
If you serve Slaanesh well you can get the Boobsnake for yourself though.
Objectively the best Daemonic Mount/Pet

>Yo dawg I heard you like boob snakes, so we put a boob snake on your boob snake.

Danke user.

Ranged attacks are going to vary in how fast they are, with bullets being too fast to dodge and such so I think keeping ranged attacks as is is fine. I'm mainly thinking of how the Roleplaying game compares to the tabletop.

>Boobsnake Daemon Prince with a trusty Boobsnake Mount
what

What's the actual name for the boobsnake?

I'd love to have a pair of big tits with demonic sucking nipples

Oh it's one of them, neato!
Is you army mono-Slaanesh?

>But the Boobsnake is a Daemon.

Daemonhood is a potential reward for serving chaos. Always has been. There's an old short story where an aspiring champion of Slaanesh ends up as a steed of Slaanesh after "ascending"

>morathi will never sit on your face
I prefer mage chan or spellsinger chan myself.

Yes it is, I still need to paint all my dudes though.
And strip the paint off some dudes I got second hand but they were such a good bargain.

I thought ascending just made you a Daemon Prince.
That's pretty cool.

Chaos gods are bitches, you can't be sure about what "reward" you'll get.
If I were Slaanesh, I'd give 2 cock, 6 boobs and a vagina to everybody.

I like Slaanesh, and I honestly wouldn't even be mad to get turned into a Steed, I get to go fast, and I get a mad whip tongue, and I probably have some weird mutant reptilian horsecock/hemipenes

She's my favorite god aswell, followed by Tzeentch, but I'm not sure I'd like to end as a steed.Being a deamonette on the other hand...

Noice, love me some Slaanesh guys. What does your army consist of?
>Still need to paint all my dudes though.
I know that feel brah. I've got like 4 units in total finished and none of them is an infantry unit.

Mrs Boobsnake

>Not giving everyone glam rock guitars instead of arms.

I've got a Boobsnake Lord, 20 Warriors, 15 Marauders, a Chariot, and 5 Knights.
A good chunk of the Warriors and ALL of the Marauders are second hand, there's something that might be supposed to be a Chariot, but it's metal and there's no yolk for the horses, which are plastic, and two Warriors appear to be modeled to be Heroes. Also the Chariot Rider is a single magnetized Warrior so I've just written that off as me having only one Chariot while I figure out what to do with that.
But I'm painting the Lord for now, then I can base the armor color for the army on what I decide for him/her it's wearing a skirt and fuck me heels and has a boobplate for half the chest I honestly can't tell, the thin waist is not helping this armor is practically a corset

I see. Are you thinking about making some slaaneshi conversions to the units or are they already converted?

No conversions yet, but I'm planning on converting some Howling Banshees into Forsaken with some Daemonette and Chaos Spawn bits, maybe some less tech versions of Possessed bits if I have any I like.
My Chariot does have the Slaanesh specific head and some whips and flails because I like the look of them.
I haven't thought of any conversions for my Warriors or Knights though, I like the way they look already.

That Forsaken idea seems pretty dang neat.

And yeah the warriors and knights are really good without any conversion work.

Oh I like those shields, I wouldn't have minded giving my warriors greek plumes but a lot of them have topknots and ponytails.
That's pretty close to the colour scheme I was thinking, but I was going to go for a darker pink and purple for the shields.

The uniform look is kinda goofy when its supposed to be a ragtag group of tryhards

Chaos Armor is literally the strongest armor you can give to core troops and is a good option for Lords and Heroes.

It's just a demonic mount.

What makes you think chaos warriors of the big S are supposed to be ragtag?

Those are okay choices I guess, but you'll probably just end up with a smooshed face under that bony elf-ass.

What is the current state of Fantasy in general. Specifically in Europe.

Has people moved to 9th Age or KoW en masse or have they just stored their armies until the revival of the genre?

Not intereseted at all in AoS, I just want a rank and file game to play...

Steed of Slaanesh.

If you find a player who still has his things on square bases ask if he wants to play 8th edition Fantasy instead.
I've got a small amount of players at my GW/LGS it's not a GW store but he sells almost exclusively GW stuff
The small amount of players is the Store Owner and I so I just got lucky that he prefers Fantasy over AoS

>The uniform look is kinda goofy when its supposed to be a ragtag group of tryhards
That's not always the case though, especially not with followers of a god who is really into aesthetics.

i read somewhere that norscans didnt use to worship chaos and were just normal raiders until it got changed, is that true?

why isnt !notBritain albion fleshed out as much as other places in fantasy are?

It's impossible to say. Without GW each region just does as it pleases now. In my town people seem to favour T9A but I personally prefer KoW and play that with my mates. We obviously sometimes all play 8th as well.

>i read somewhere that norscans didnt use to worship chaos and were just normal raiders until it got changed, is that true?
I wouldn't be the surprised if that was the case, since the same thing is true for atleast some of the kurgan tribes.

I know this well and good but what I'm saying is its funny that they're all dressed the same when they're just all people from all over the world trying to impress the gods

That's the models limitation and why conversions exist?

Albion isn't fleshed out for the same reason as Ind and Nippon and Cathay not being fleshed out, GW never got around to it since they spent their time on expanding on the already better known stuff

Yeah? What is your point at this stage, even?
I'm just pointing out that the whole unit looking the exact same like in the original picture looks funny since they're supposed to be individuals

I don't even know what my point is, glad we're on the same page at least.

Both the Kurgan and Norscans had pre-Chaos worship that has shaped and influenced how they understand their gods to this day. Kurgan arr generally animist in their leanings, while Norscan worship of Old World gods notably Favored more primal, violent interpretations.

Are you seriously arguing that a Chaos Lord of Slaanesh wouldn't be capable of employing an army with a 'uniform'?

>i read somewhere that norscans didnt use to worship chaos and were just normal raiders until it got changed, is that true?
True both in and out of universe. Pic related. The Norse used to be just vikings with Dwarf allies.

The important thing to remember is that by serving Chaos you get what they want you to get, not what you want to get.

If you're powerful, devoted, and champion their cause they very well may make you a Prince or an Everchosen.

Then again, if you consistently fail, seem too prideful, or if Tzeentch slept on his arm weird and is a bad mood, you may get the Be'lakor treatment and be turned into a gibbering mass of nothing.

On the subject, is there any redemption from serving the Chaos Gods?

I recall a lot of Norse tribes serve them only out of fear or because they fall for their lies ("OH YEA THE DUDES IN THE OUTSIDE WORLD WILL TOTES DEVOUR YOUR FAMILIES"), but even with those initially loyal, what if they decide that the CGs are a bunch of pricks and go for other Gods?

The closest thing I know of is Morr, who if you're faithful to and if you get buried right he tells Chaos to fuck off from your soul, but would any of the other Gods, especially Sigmar or Asuryan, forgive you if you were once a full on Chaos worshiper? Or would they just throw you to the wolves or kill you themselves?

It's not a "fixed value though". You can dodge, parry, or perform maneuvers to avoid attacks. The attacker's skill in swinging a sword is just that, his own. A peasant could be fighting a knight and both only have so much ability in swinging a sword. It's the fact that the knight would know how to block, parry, and dodge that would let him kill the inexperienced peasant. If the knight is standing still though, the peasant will still be able to theoretically hit him. The knight's ability to react doesn't affect the peasant's ability to strike, it just determines whether or not he hits.

Doing it your way would honestly turn the game into even more of a killfest. A group of dudes with average 30 WS against a boss of 50 WS and two 30 WS minions will be slaughtered even more quickly.

I see where you're going with it though and my own argument isn't perfect, but we already have the dynamic of an unskilled opponent not being able to hit a skilled opponent, and I feel like making everything a dually opposed test will slow the game down significantly, and it's already not that fast.

It is depressing to think of how WHFB died an ignoble death. On a more nostalgic note, I ran into this random image in Citadel Journal volume 1...apparently there were actual rules for Hellblaster Wagons.

I really don't see why not, as long as you aren't marked or have sold your soul otherwise. The faint glimmer of hope and promise of redemption is always a great element.
At the very worst, you can get turned into a Vampire or at least Wight and be forever free from the threat of Chaos.
Unless you subscribe to the turbofaggy Chaos Is Inbincibul and The Strongest Ever!!! school

I'm not sure. I vaguely remember some lore about a Norscan turning full-on worshiper of Manaan, but I don't know of Norscans or Kurgan would ever go 'well I don't like the Chaos Gods.' They're just kind of a fact of life for them.

Ironically, WHFB is still doing better here than before it got cast out.
It doesn't get to be played on all three suitable tables of the three GW stores and has less visibility this way, but the community that stuck around has significantly softened up to the idea of using third party models and playing older editions. Where there used to be GW STORE GW RULES GW MODELS FINAL DESTINATION only, there's now a wild world of many editions and manifacturers.

Also a surprising amount of homebrew. I personally disagree with the raw for a bit of t9a but it helps there are a lot of players nearby for me too.

why was it changed?

For 8th ed, I've come across a scenario that apparently seems to be controversial, the "skirmish contraction." I want to know your thoughts and if it's a legit trick or gaming the system.

When a unit charges, it must move straightforward but is allowed a single turn of up to 90 degrees. It cannot charge if there are any intervening enemy units.

Let us suppose I have a unit of Skirmishers...let's say Skinks. The Skinks face at a 45-degree angle to a block of infantry, and only one or two of the Skinks are in the front arc of the infantry unit.

Because the Skinks are in front, they would block the infantry unit from attempting to charge another unit. However, if the unit attempts to charge the Skinks, the Skinks could Stand and Shoot upon which they immediately contract, are no longer in the front arc of the infantry unit, and no longer are an eligible charge target. RAW redirection can only happen versus a Flee! reaction and so the infantry unit can only move forward D6 inches.

Is this legit, or is this a bug?

One should also bear in mind that the Chaos gods are cruel and fickle enough to 'reward' their devotees with debilitating gifts aswell. For instance Scyla Anfingrimm was gifted with insanity for one of his great deeds.

An important distinction to remember is that the norscans are in general polytheistic rather than henotheistic. As such they don't really discard gods, which desu is quite stupid to do in a place where that deity can literally turn their hands into writhing worms if you displease them.
Think of the Chaos Gods more like super powerful hustomtar who treats you right if you follow their rules and live up to their expectations but are likely to mess your shit up if you in anyway displease them.

>However, if the unit attempts to charge the Skinks, the Skinks could Stand and Shoot upon which they immediately contract, are no longer in the front arc of the infantry unit, and no longer are an eligible charge target.
That's a dick move and I hope that you haven't played with someone who tried to do that. I know that 8.5 disallows it but I'm not sure about the official 8th edition.

>hustomtar

I've never heard of that word, and google isn't helping.

Funny enough that GW's attempt to kill off WHFB and turn it into shit so people would go to AoS failed miserably, because most people just ignore their shit changes and don't play AoS and stick with the old stuff or AUs like 9th ed.

It's the plural for the scandinavian folklore-entity hustomte (a.k.a nisse). In short they're a protective spirit that safeguards the wellbeing of a farm/house and its animals. It's basically a cranky yet easily bribed magical granddad who looks like a miniature santa.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisse_(folklore)

Please provide data.

Probably to bring the threat of chaos a little closer to the Old World proper.

Also because straight-up vikings is pretty boring.

WFRP 4E will be released in July.

On?

Most people.

Like a garden gnome but not made of porceline and it helps you out

i dont like it. normal, semi realistic vikings are better than cliche 80s heavy metal naked chaos vikings

I am genuinely curious as to why anyone would voluntarily play AoS. I am unsarcastically asking for an explanation, as someone new to the hobby. It seems like a completely dumbed-down and neutered version of the game, and the models/factions/races whatever all make me vaguely queasy to look at.

Can anyone one who is/was a fan of WHFB explain the appeal of AoS to me?

I dunno. Like, part of my bias may be because such a trick did have historical precedent (Alexander's skirmishers at Gaugamela "opening" their ranks to let Persian chariots go straight through), but it's one of those scenarios where I think WHFB's action/reaction system should have been more extensible as opposed to the formalized flowchart of:

"Charge."
"Flee or Stand (and Shoot)"
"Redirect if opponent fled (as opposed to if the opponent became ineligible via other means)"

How would them shooting somehow remove the skins from the front arc
If the charger can either just go straight into a unit or wiggle past, they can charge just fine

Normally in 8th, Skirmishers are deployed in a "loose" formation that looks like a WHFB rank-and-file, except each model is half an inch away from the other.

Whenever a Skirmisher unit wishes to charge, or to perform a charge reaction that is not a Flee!, they immediately "close ranks" around the centermost model in the front rank (if a unit has an even number of files, you choose one of the two centermost models to form up around).

Thus, by standing and shooting, the Skinks form ranks around one Skink, their unit frontage is a lot smaller, and they are now no longer in the front arc of the unit that tried to charge them.

You close ranks once you make contact with a unit

Quoting the book:

If skirmishers declare a charge (or a charge reaction that does not involve fleeing) they immediately tighten their loose formation into a 'normal' formation *before* the charge distance is rolled. This happens 'for free' at the moment the unit declares the charge or is called upon to make a charge reaction.

The *before* was in italics.

In the 6th edition it was called a Steed of Slaanesh. Raptor-seahorse steeds have existed since the 80's, but the 6th edition was a time of changes for all armies and because the 98(?) mounted daemonettes were so ugly, GW didn't include them in Hordes of Chaos and instead created the boobsnake as a mount for characters. Raptor-snakes returned a year later, but since the name Steed of Slaanesh was taken, they were just called mounts (of Mounted Daemonettes). In the 7th edition GW renamed Mounted Daemonettes Raptors and took the name of Steed of Slaanesh back, while the boobworm was relegated to being just a common Daemonic Mount.

Guys i have been reading up on 40k and i have been hit by a landslide of thoughts my biggest is could mazdamundi be a old one that didn’t evolve into a god like being and instead stayed mortal to rule over the lizard men?

In 3rd Norse were just a mercenary contingent you could add to one of the core armies hence the lack of options.

In 2nd they were more of a full army. Similar mixture of Viking style humans and some Norse Dwarf units, but with access to allied Dwarf units and Giants and mercenary Empire, Kislev and Ogres.

Also you could buy shapeshifters who could be hidden in units. They would have to take a willpower test within 15" of an enemy and if failed they would randomly turn into either a were-Bear, Wolf or Rat, go Frenzied and cause fear in creatures under 10' tall.

No.

Got a few questions for you anons:
1- I can get battalion boxes for both VC and O&G, for £60 each. Are they worth it? I can't quite compare the value with third party stores with discount due to several miniatures being webstore only.

2- Buying pic related and these
ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/020/168/211/e36ae041c22575546440c13cc6bc58fa_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1518102566&auto=format&q=92&s=321af01f08eb31ce9307f0d65ecc4326
ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/020/168/321/3d648098768b457279fef13c0ea259c7_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1518103089&auto=format&q=92&s=752856a89d3b57dcc462a0eff16951fe
for a wood elves bog-themed army, along with a few Albion fen beasts. Good idea or terrible idea?

That kind of sounds like what they did with Kislev and its spirits?

There's a reason they're called the Lost and the Damned.

You get Household Spirits in the folklore of most european countries.
Kislev just uses the Slavic versions pretty much unaltered. To the point where Something Rotten in Kislev has illustrations just straight-up traced from Ivan Bilibin. Pic related.

How are the Director's cuts of the Enemy Within PDFs?

Either way they already had the charge declared on them so the unit who declared gets to roll and try to charge as normal, you don't do the move before determining whether they can be charged or not.
All they need is one model to have contact in the end for it to succeed

The OG box is pretty good aside from the Spider Riders

So I started painting a new Nurgle Ogre today. These pics are a very early WIP I took this afternoon but I thought I might aswell post them to document the process. If people think that's annoying I won't do it in the future. There is after all a WIP-thread even though Fantasy isn't particularly popular in it.

Atm I've waiting on some washes to dry as I begin to enter the final stages of the painting.

They're pretty alright, considering they're just The Enemy Within.

Oh, cool. I'm looking forward to WFRP

You would just redirect the charge. It's nice in theory but wouldn't really work

I'm in the same boatas you. I think AoS is utter garbage but the problem is that others like it. My flgs called me a grognard for not liking AoS and still wanting to play 8th but honestly it is so much more interesting. Unit position matters and it feels like a proper battle.

As to why people like aos, some people like the simplified game and it is easier to appeal to children, also being able to start small and build up is a factor. Whfb was hard for normies to get into as they need hundreds of models. AoS is just a shit game though. I tried playing and the extent of the tactics is if your buffing unit is in range of most of your battle line units. I just hate the mechanic of it and I hate that everything hits and wounds on a fixed number. So stupid

>I am genuinely curious as to why anyone would voluntarily play AoS
Same reason some people play 40k, it's the only game anyone plays nearby.
Sure you can make that fancy army of dark elves for 7th ed fantasy or that viking force for Impetus, but you can't play as just one man.

Looks good so far, keep it up!

The problem is that Redirection can only be done versus a "fleeing reaction." This is not necessarily the Flee! reaction RAW, since GW likes using plain English, but the fact is the Skinks are using a Stand and Shoot reaction and thus haven't actually fled.

Personally I would allow it, and believe that Redirect should be allowed in any situation where you cannot attempt a charge against your original target, but ymmv.

The thing is, the charge was already declared so any fiddling around with the skirmish stuff to cheat them out of a charge is pointless, they don't need to re-declare the charge after you react, they declared it already

I honestly am perplexed myself. I imagine the main advantage (in theory) is that since everything moves in 40k-ish squad coherency, you feel like units are more than just glorified wound-counters and static CR-boosters for the front rank (or few front ranks if 8th). Arguably, GW has more "creative freedom" (or freedom to Blastify, ymmv) since they can create new kits without having to adhere to "can they all neatly fit on a movement tray?"

And of course, there's Dwarf Airship Pirates. I consider the "balloon" bits idiotic design (A drunken Montgolfier notjetpack is just goofy, when they could have easily based their Dwarfs off The Rocketeer), but the generic Arkanaut Crew makes for good kitbash fodder if you're planning to do a Treasure Hunter Warband for Mordheim.

Mind, everything I said was me trying to be a Devil's Advocate. Between Rule of One, and the fact you roll to see who acts first in each game turn leading to the "double turn" phenomenon, AOS is a mess of game design failures even before you account for the fluff changes.