What's the point of creating your own homebrew setting when there's already settings that cover every range of...

What's the point of creating your own homebrew setting when there's already settings that cover every range of adventure you can possibly have and your players won't care about the world if they can't read the information about it on a wiki

sounds like your players are the problem

Having enough pride in your work to do it right?
Honestly, this is the mentality that's killing the board. Nobody puts enough passion or care into anything because they care too much about what others think. I WISH the board had more autism, it'd mean we'd have more people who were unaware of others and hyperfocused on their hobby long enough to make something interesting.
And no, don't start blaming the loss of Quests for this. The mentality of caring too much about what others thought is what killed them, not the other way around. Quests left because QMS did a Shit lazy job and fell back on Yuri/Franchise Quests instead of trying something new. If they'd made content worth keeping, we'd still have them. Instead they half-asses it. Same goes for just about anything else on this board.

I know those feels, bro. Been running a game for three years, have written out a players guide for the world, printed it out for everyone, and I still have to remind them who the gods are. There are 5 main gods. Can't take 5 god damn minutes to read three pages of info.

I just enjoy making settings, couldn't care less if the players want to read all my lore (if anything a game where I'm constantly explaining history and culture to them sounds boring as hell to run)

You could always make a wiki, or some equivalent, for your home brew setting.

This. Or maybe your setting is not that interesting.

>there's already settings that cover every range of adventure you can possibly have
That's wrong though dummy.

It's fun, and more enjoyable than being beholden to some other assholes shitty homebrew world.

Because someone else isn't going to cater to my specific tastes and values that's why

Tbh this is probably true. I stopped working on a GUMSHOE campaign when one of the friends I was GMing for spent like 2 hours or so arguing about how much he didn't like the system we were using without even reading the PHB I had sent him. Or playing the game. I should have just been doing it for myself, but it still really hurt that he just kind of dug into something I'd been working on for quite a while without even reading up to see if his opinions supported in the manual. I just gave up on it because it felt like it was out of spite I guess.

Because it's fun, this is a hobby user, people are in it for the love of it and they wouldn't or shouldn't force themselves to do things if that's not the case. There's nothing stopping you from making a wiki for your own setting if you really want, just digitise your notes.

My players can't even remember the king's name, and they're working for him.

To be fair, whenever I'm a player in a campaign I can almost never remember NPC's names even IN a prepublished setting.

>Quests left because QMS did a Shit lazy job and fell back on Yuri/Franchise Quests instead of trying something new. If they'd made content worth keeping, we'd still have them.

Pretty sure they were kicked off of this board because we got a mod who didn't like having them here after moot v.1 decided that all the shitty harem-builder quests on /a/ needed to be on Veeky Forums.

Because some of us are not creatively bankrupt and have an imagination with a shit, unlike 95% of nu/tg/pol/.

>blaming QMs for leaving
Wow, that's some seriously revisionist history there. You went and swallowed that blue pill they fed you and have no clue as to what really happened.

Whats the point of doing anything when entropy will inevitably reduce all works of man to cold sterile vacuum?

I'm rewriting the rules to Genesys to accommodate my Level 4 Civilization that exists outside time and space to control and affect the universes around them as they wish, a la Amber.

Because it’s fun

I enjoy it and I find it fun. I like having total complete freedom to switch stuff about the setting rather than digging deep into lore books.

This mindset of perpetual existencial crisis is killing your creativity, user(s).

Obviously there isn't a setting for EVERYTHING and there wasn't a setting for what you consider "everything" before it was created by someone with as much creative potential as anyone that would seriously consider venturing into the fuckhuge challenge that is homebrewing.

In other words, do the fucking thing even if your players won't give a shit. External validation isn't the only important thing when placing value to a creative endeavor.

Running a game in an original sci-fi setting. Players engage with it fully, and a lot of their character building has actively added to the lore, fleshing out the cultures they're from and giving me new points of view on my own material.

This is largely not an issue I find myself having.

Same reasons you make your own character instead of using pregens: It'd take longer to find a perfect one or retrofit a close match than to just build it from scratch, and also it's fun.

Of note, settings also function like characters in that players don't typically give a shit about them beyond their immediately relevant qualities. Most players don't care who the king is any more than they care how many siblings their tank has. This varies quite a bit by player and the quality of the thing being discussed, of course, but you shouldn't expect players to get super invested in a given detail just because it's there.

>you shouldn't care what others think
>but this thing was justly purged because people thought they were shit
Given your current level of pride in this sentiment, do you have it in your to see if you can find any flaws in this reasoning?

Autist can't make anything interesting user. They have zero creativity. Anything they do make is basically Traveler except worse, where the GM rolls on endless tables and players sit there and get told what happens as a result of RNG they have no part of.

He actually thinks quests left of their own accord and the writers wanted to leave. I don't think his 'opinions' matter if he bases the on made up head-facts.

Not all autists are simulationists, although a bunch of them sure are.

When I make sonething up on the fly I don't have to worry about it contradicting something in the setting because there's nothing for it to contradict. It's like rendering in a video game. Things come into existence when you look at them. With an established setting I either have to remember a bunch of stuff I don't care about or discard the stuff I don't remember. In the latter case, I'm basically homebrewing a setting anyways.

You say that like I ever play with anyone

That isn't the problem. It's their OCD type interface with reality that makes them unable to create from whole cloth, not their adherence to simulationism.

Came here to say this. Or even in the form of blog posts. If you were going to write it all down anyway you might as well put it somewhere that is accessible from a web browser and in a format that is most comfortable for people to read if you want them to read it.

Literally every published setting that exists was somebodies shitty ass homebrew/story at one point or another.

I enjoy creating for its own sake. I wish I could stick to a project and finish it though. I either wind up hitting some insurmountable snag in my thoughts that make me sick of the project, or I just lose interest in favour of something else.

>Step 1 get a notepad or notebook
>Step 2 write down people's names, names of locations and other important information such as items you posses or rules you'd like to remember.
>Step 3 remember those things and re-read them when you forget and become less shit at the game for it.

You've met a bunch of shit autists, then. Most autists I've met including myself get attached to something that's not reality, realize that it doesn't line up, and use it as inspiration anyway. Assuming they've learnt some decent social skills, I've found their sheer dedication to the setting infectious and their games have been the better for it.

>fun
Veeky Forums is an AntiFu board user, I think you should leave.

Why would I ever take the time and effort to learn somebody's elses creative world when I am perfectly capable of making one myself?

Worlds and games you create can be shifted and changed to suite your own needs, and can be adapted to better fit what your players want as well. I'll never understand how people can think it's fun to memorize a bunch of factoids about a "published setting" and use that instead of creating their own thing.

I'm the sort of player who doesn't care about a setting if I can't go read up about it somewhere. Seriously, if I can't research the world, what's the point? My character might as well be an amnesiac since I have to ask my GM about every little thing in the world.

If I want to play a character that already exists in the world, I want to be able to think like him and make decisions like he would. Without the information about the world readily available to me, I'm just guessing and hoping I'm right.

Don't make the setting on your own
Have each of the players take part in the creation of the setting
There are even rulesets/games for creating settings
If they're personally involved in the creation of the setting they'll be more likely to feel invested in it

>I'll never understand how people can think it's fun to memorize a bunch of factoids about a "published setting" and use that instead of creating their own thing.
Except your players will have to memorise a bunch of factoids about your shitty homebrew setting, so what's the difference. I'd rather go memorise a bunch of factoids about a professionally written, well planned setting than whatever knock-off fantasy realm your autism will create.

mental masturbation
or if you publish your homebrews it's partially to make money

>money
Unless you're one of the top 10 publishers, you make fuck all money from tabletop.

I didn't say you'd make good money, just that the effort put into worldbuilding will make you more than no money if you sell your games

You'd make more panhandling on the side of the road.

Here's what I think: I believe that the Mod is primarily responsible for the removal of quests, however if there had been more substance and effort put into Quests as a concept then there would have been enough attachment to them as part of the board culture that the outcry of removing them would have been more unanimous.
What I'm saying is if there had been more Veeky Forums quests that actually were Veeky Forums, not /a/, or more specifically not just ripping off of a setting or pandering to Yurifags, and they tried doing something original, Quests wouldn't have been something anons disliked enough to require them to be removed.
I'm saying this as someone who is Pro-Quests.

Well yeah, nobody is going to argue that it wasn't a stupid decision to herd all the haremshit quests from /a/ onto Veeky Forums. That's what gave the fun police something to sink their teeth into.

Because it's fun.

Wow, what a shit bunch of players.

Played a character once who was a bookworm Lore Bard. He took notes on everything, and to mirror that i kept an extra blank notebook with my character sheet and kept notes on literally everything when we weren't in combat. Shits useful.

Because the act of making a setting is fun. The journey is more important than the destination

Sounds like you had shit vacations in your life.

>your players won't care about the world if they can't read the information about it on a wiki
Your players read anything? My players almost violently refuse to read shit.

Every single thread where the OP bitches about specific game rules always ends up being his own fault for playing with shitty people or being shitty himself. They never have anything real to say.

My players could care less which demon god fucked who to make which random race of fiend dragon hybrid, and neither could I. I reuse a lot of names and stuff from FR, but the execution is different. Is it better? I can't tell, but haven't gotten any complaints so far.

Being able to make stuff up in the fly, and if something didn't work I'll just retcon.

My setting is for me, because I find it fun and fulfilling to implement my players' actions into a world I developed myself. The fact that they enjoy recurring characters and revisiting locations from past games in different contexts with different players makes it even more fulfilling. As long as I don't design an entire premade world I can keep adding to it as we go along.

I create settings and characters generally without thinking based off things I find neat

>Age of Sail setting featuring magical girls and boys who act as an idol/ace in the hole for ships
>Cape setting where legacy characters have a strong inworld reason to pass down the mantel
>Adventurer School setting featuring 9 different races split between 3 themes who then joins 4 different houses within the school
>Bleak as fuck meguca setting where the girls are brainwashed puppets of the megacorps

And more, most of these ideas are just scraps and thoughts but I'm pretty sure I could start fleshing them out if I had a reason

Where can you publish your setting

Because it's easier to bullshit things on the spot without some faggots correcting me because they know the setting better than I do. That and I couldn't give two shits about reading and memorizing a bunch of setting books when I can just make up my own.

Then your definition of autism is wrong. You're probably just an asshole.

I like how you blame yurifags when anyone who bothered counting knew that less than one third were yuri based quests. Maybe a bit of personal bias going on there?

This

>I like how you blame yurifags when anyone who bothered counting knew that less than one third were yuri based quests.

1/3 of all quest threads being yuri is a huge amount. Fuck moot for moving all the shitty /a/ quests onto Veeky Forums.

Because making things is fun?
It is for some people, at least. Plus, getting to say that "this is mine" is always somewhat satisfying.