Playing D&D 5e with a party of 6

>Playing D&D 5e with a party of 6
>DM "Suddenly the stairway in front of you becomes a very steep slope of stone. It's dark, so you can't see the end of the way"
>"Oh shit, what do?"
>Bard "I thrust my dagger against the wall and then tie a rope"
>Ranger "And then I start walking down slowly using the rope"
>Meanwhile Wizard, Barbarian and Pally (me) think of options
>DM "Ok Ranger, make an athletics roll"
>Ranger almost let go of the rope, but keeps walking down without being able to see the end
>Bard starts climbing down
>Cleric, who was quiet all along, starts laughing
>"What's the matter?"
>Cleric "I press my shield against my chest and rocket-throw myself down the slope"
>"What the fuck?"
>DM, in awe and smiling "Ok, you start going down at full-speed. Ranger and Bard make a Dex saving roll"
>Both fail and get dragged by Cleric
>"God this can't be happening"
>ohgodohgodohgod
>Cleric finds out that the slope was 140ft long and, waiting at the end of it, was a huge granite block
>DM "You smash your face at full-speed against the block. 14d6 of damage"
>Cleric "Shit, I'm dead"
>Ranger and Bard meet Grany the Block and die too
>Wizard, Barbarian and Pally stare at the end of the slope, in awe and shock
>"Bunch of retards"
>Wiz "I cast Feather Fall to the three of us"
>DM "Gently gliding, you reach the end of the slope. Your three party members lay there, disfigured and blood-splattered against a block
>"Don't want to play with you guys anymore"

It sucks but you gotta admit the cleric's move was 10/10

ok, so cleric is a tool. did this somehow come as a surprise?

let ranger and bard roll new characters. meanwhile send cleric home and never play with him again.

>Playing 5e
>Session with 5 players, 3 in active combat
>Orc alchemist fails 3 death saves, dies
>Wounded dwarf wizard and orc barbarian continue on without, meet elf wizard and goblin cleric
>Investigate ruins
>Find a statue
>It springs to life, gets the drop on the party, cleaves dwarf wizard's head in two with a critical hit
>He would've survived if he'd asked the cleric for a heal

That was my first time getting permanent party kills. I felt an elated high. It was like a drug.

The two most powerful words in a DM's vocabulary to prevent game-ending cockups like this:

>You sure?

Have you tried not playing D&D?

words have no power on the ignorant

If I was in the party I would have found it hilarious if he didn't absolutely fuck 2 other players while doing it. Impulsiveness can be fun if it doesn't ruin it for others.

It doesn't always work. I've seen "You sure" lead into an even stupider plan than the one originally conceived.

"YES!! ITS GONNA BE FUNNY! XD"
"W-wha!? My ACTIONS have CONSEQUENCES???"

>players want to get into a party they weren't invited to
>fighter wants to kick the door in and just waltz in
>"are you sure you want to do that?"
>"uh....no?"
>proceeds to get the party to help burn down the mansion by starting fires at every exit
It wasn't even related to what they were doing.

Murderhobory: not even once.

>players want information on a local figurehead, try the most respectable inn in a very rich town
>one wealthy patron makes one askance look as he spots their rogue trying to steal brandy
>party now wants to kick his head in, in full view of the rest of the bar

"Are you sure you want to do that?"

So instead they merely set fire to the entire building and totally fucked that town for themselves by killing several of the wealthier men on that side of the continent.

>not communicating and clarifying risks of an action
Mediocre GM.

It shouldn't be up to the gm to tell people the risks of their plans; it's up to the people planning to calculate them.

I'm also quite partial to
>DM Rolls dice for enemy
>"You might wanna edge that."

man there's an element of realism to this. You'll never be able to fully immerse players enough that they'd just inherently understand all the risks and impacts of their actions accurately. Asking 'you sure' serves as a sort of intuition you just can't accomplish with perception checks.

I don't really understand why the DM would just kill his players like that. I understand that what the cleric did was pretty dumb, but the brutal and random death of half the party would be a pretty fucking traumatic thing in-character. You can have consequences without simply murdering the PCs. That's not fun. That's gay.

Different user.
Sometimes you have shit like that slope and block already planned out for that dungeon and them flying at it with no airbag at 120mph head first is just a choice they fucking made that just happened to kill 2 people from save fails.
I could fudge the fuck out of that situation and back but why plan anything or do half my job if I'm going to throw it all out the window every turn.
It's a learning experience for ALL the players in both not trusting that guy and not doing stupid shit.

>"I open the door"
>As your hand extends towards the door a voice enters your head, "If you open the door then there could be chances of a hobgoblin barracks, warg pits, an ogre/bugbear den, a treasury, a slave pit, a commanders quarters, the exit, a warehouse, a cellar entrance, a trap, an ambush, a tunnel/staircase into a lower floor of the base, a staircase into a higher floor of the base, and a small chance of a solid brick wall because shitty engineers."
>"Just wanted to clarify that with you :)"
Shitty DM detected.

Improvising is DMing 101, right along with adapting to player actions. If your block is going to wipeout half the party on a whim, flex your brain and get rid of the block.

>make dungeon inhabited by evil creatures, bandits, secretive cult, what the fuck ever else that does not want intruders to continue with a pulse for very long and actively make lethal traps to help in this task
>I don't really understand why the DM would just kill his players like that.

What the fuck else is he supposed to do? If they end up getting attacked by an enemy group and someone dies because they ran out of HP and death saves would you ask the same thing?

>You can have consequences without simply murdering the PCs. That's not fun. That's gay.
The consequence of falling into a potentially lethal trap is, what for it, potentially lethal.

>What the fuck else is he supposed to do? If they end up getting attacked by an enemy group and someone dies because they ran out of HP and death saves would you ask the same thing?
No, because that's a fight structured by rules where the players have a fighting chance and the danger is clear. A slope isn't an obviously deadly trap, in fact a sudden slope is usually a non-lethal trap as opposed to a sudden pit, but because the DM willed it, the rash action of one player in a situation he wasn't fully aware of got half the party killed because of some dumb shit.

>Steep slope of stone
>It's dark, and you can't see the bottom

>"K, imma jump off :D"

Nah, there's only so much bullshittery players can pull before they kill themselves and others

Different user but it the block did jack shit and the PCs found a way to SAFELY get to it almost instantly and then a stupid fuck ruined it all. The block and dm have no fault or blame here only the idiot and now everybody learned not to let him do that shit or at the very least not to trust him.

>oh no my min/maxed drow ranger is dead this game sucks

Cleric doing everyone a favor

>you sure?

I mean... I would tell them, you can't tell what is at the bottum, its pitch black and very steep. If you jump down you will obviously pick up some speed from what you can see. okay? we good? LETS GOOOOO SPLAT

What really surprises me is the Wizard din't have Light ready, and get a copper piece from the rouge. It's like the oldest trick in the book. Cast light on something of very little worth and toss it down there, and see for yourself what's going on.

This was an obvious trap. There might as well have been yellow and black stripping around it. Any more obvious and even Admiral Akbar would have spotted it.

Neither of those things hint at it being lethal. A sudden stone slide is a classic "Now you're here" trap, not a "Now you're dead" trap.

The DM obviously wanted to kill the cleric, based on his reaction, and he deliberately included the players who were cautiously going down it by making them roll to live. The DM just killed them for no reason.

>Join a 5e pickup game. Use a random generator to create a Dwarf Rogue named Brogkil Battlehammer.
>Nickname him Broggy.
>DM is continuing from a previous session, so we start in a tavern, apparently at the tail end of a quest.
>Paladin is apparently shell-shocked from the troubles of having to acquire a bottle of Troll Piss and some Dragonberries. 50 yard stare and all that.
>Still trying to NOT give the bottle of Troll Piss and Dragonberries to the Old Woman running the Inn for free.
>Broggy, a bystander in all of this, manages to ask for another beer at just the wrong time.
>Almost immediately after getting his beer, the argument escalates and suddenly the Barbarian attacks the Innkeeper, who turns into a Hag, and then turns invisible.
>The door to the inn slams shut.
>Roll_Initiative.gif
>Broggy reasons that if he tosses flour in the room it'll reveal someone who's invisible. So he hops in back and looks for some some Bread.
>Meanwhile the Party Barbarian decides to take his Broadaxe and slap the flat side of it in a huge pot of soup on the table, splash it all over the place, and get the same effect. He crit fails and DM says he splashes soup all over himself and buries his axehead in the table.

>Broggy goes to the back, looking for flour. He doesn't find flour anywhere, but he does find bread.
>Must be some interesting bread if it doesn't use flour. Broggy decides to take a bite out of it experimentally.
>DM says I'm making a Con Save against poison next round.
>Meanwhile our Wizard is trying to figure out if she can use magic to find the hag, while our Paladain maintains a 50 yard stare.
>Would later find out that this was because he had to witness a troll penis in order to get the piss.
(Our GM isn't into the Magical Realm thing, he's just an immature jerk sometimes)
>Our Barbarian now tries to remove his axe from the table.
>Another Crit fail on Athletics and DM says he lifts the axe and the table over his head, and promptly falls over with the table on top of him.
>Broggy makes his Con Save, and even with Advantage gets a 9. DM says Broggy is hallucinating.
>Broggy takes a good look at the world and has a nice scream.
>What he just witnessed was a table coming to life and attacking the Barbarian.

>Or have the cleric go splat into the wall, and the other two tumble down an a bloody but still living heap.

If they weren't on the cleric's improvised sled, why are they dead too?

>Concludes that it must be the work of mimics, draws his shortsword, and immediately attacks the table.
>Do some pretty good damage, manage to slice the table in half in one go, and narrowly missing the Barbarian.
>Broggy is screaming about Mimics and how he just saved the Barbarian's life.
>Wizard's turn comes up. She casts Firebolt trying to take a blind shot at the hag. Now she crit fails, and DM says she's now lit the bar-back on fire.
>Broggy witnesses this as the Inn now breathing fire.
>"THE WHOLE DAMN INN IS A MIMIC!"
>Paladin still comatose.
>Barbarian tries to push half of the table off of himself and throw it against the door. Broggy is on top of the table pieces still.
>To Broggy the Table Mimic comes back to life and flies against the door. Obviously the mimic is trying to avoid getting eaten by the Inn and is making a break for it.
>Broggy assumes the most logical course of action is to escape through the window at the front of the Inn.
>There's just one problem.
>The entire area leading up to that window is filled with tables and chairs. All of which Broggy is convinced is Mimics.
>Broggy rolls Acrobatics to avoid attacks of opportunity from all the tables and chairs in the room. Unsurprisingly, he succeeds.
>In Broggy's mind he's pulling ninja moves and dodging attacks from every angle. In reality, he sort of drunkenly stumbles across the room, and heroically tosses himself through the window.
>Manages to make the dex save, and lands safely outside the Inn.
>Turns around and starts attacking the Inn with everything he's got.
>Everyone else just walks out of the burning inn, and tries to calm Broggy down.
>Only after all this does he FINALLY succeed on his Con Save and stop hallucinating.
Good times. Probably won't ever play Broggy again, but if I did, I'd probably start taking levels in Ranger(the good version) for Favored Enemy: Mimics.

A slope so deep that you can't see the bottom usually means a long and deadly drop, dumbass. As for the other two, the cleric just jumped off of the steep slope, not a slide (with his shield in front of his body which they were already descending by way of rope. There really isn't a whole lot they could do to avoid their retarded cleric barreling at them in that situation.

Just because something sounds like it'll be funny doesn't mean it will automatically end well, a DM has to draw the line somewhere when it comes to players acting recklessly and stupidly.

i like

All Hail Broggy, Slayer of Mimics!

This.

>Or have the cleric go splat into the wall, and the other two tumble down an a bloody but still living heap.

If they weren't on the cleric's improvised sled, why are they dead too? They just rolled down fast, but not deadly-velocity.

Bro, you're definitely watching different episodes of Scooby Doo than me because this trap usually ends with Shaggy getting dropped into the basement, not sudden death.

And not every campaign is Scooby Doo, and the Cleric wasn't shaggy to the best of my knowledge.

As far as traps go, this was a situation where the floor didn't just disappear from under their feet and nothing was pushing them towards the edge, they had time to inspect the situation and weigh their options (Which three of them did, while two took a slight risk at using a rope fastened to a dagger to descend somewhat safely). The cleric laughed and decided to just jump down with his shield up with no warning or even an attempt to form a plan, so the end result is he got himself and two companions thoroughly dead without consulting anyone else for ideas.

Still pretty funny though. I know that may make me a bad roleplayer in your eyes, but in my experience I've never met anyone actually good at roleplaying, so you might as well be retarded.

No, they don't, thats the point of roleplay.

>It wasn't even related to what they were doing.

LOL, it was like it was a meme or something! So epic. Like, as if he had a ghetto-blaster that also fired missiles! Killing people! Haha.

>the point of roleplay is that your actions don't have consequences
Is that what you're trying to say?

>being this garbage tier
So glad I'll never meet you.

>A slope so deep that you can't see the bottom usually means a long and deadly drop, dumbass.
Not really. It generally means you're going to slide down somewhere without a chance to stop yourself. And again, the DM didn't "draw the line", he was excited. I guess I don't really believe in punishing players with something as dull as "You die", with or without proper warning. Which there wasn't.

Because it was a kill-trap, period. Cleric would have died without the shield too.

See, most people with a functioning brain would know that flinging yourself face first down into a pit of darkness is probably not the most prudent course of action to take. Most would probably, oh i don't know, drop a light source down there or something. Maybe check to see if there isn't some sort of flesh shredding monstrosity down there, or something you would impale yourself on. Or maybe to check if there's actually a bottom.

I think the poster means that consequences shouldn't be something that means you should only take the best course of action at all times.
I have a DH death cult assassin who prefers to settle all problems with a (daemon)sword, not matter what the other guy has.
Is it dangerous? Yes. Stupid? Yea, almost got me killed repeatedly. But that is the basis of the character, and so I do it.

Yeah, it wasn't smart. But the players who were smart got no reward aside from not dying while the players who were stupid just roll up new characters and don't actually suffer any interesting consequences. Well, I say "players who were stupid" but it was just the one who actually dragged two other smart ones with him, so that was fair.

Probably bait, but

>but in my experience I've never met anyone actually good at roleplaying.

Not my problem, dude. I don't have problems with some funny hijinks or players doing crazy things from time to time, but there are instances where shenanigans go too far and everyone starts to stop having fun because of it.

That's when I start having problems, when players start taking the fun out of the game for everyone else but themselves.

>That's when I start having problems, when players start taking the fun out of the game for everyone else but themselves.
Yeah, the DM should have restrained himself. There was no reason to kill three players like this.

user, the GM didn't kill the players, he just played it straight.

The cleric didn't jump down a pit, he slid down a slope.

I slid down a slope once too and ended up in a frozen river.
You can gain a lot of speed and the sudden stop is often unpleasant. That said, I would have had the other two take half damage.

And that cleric ... was Leeroy Jenkins.

A steep slope with his two companions in the way, and nothing to slow them down until the hit the ground.

You laugh, but this was a movie. Called Ghetto Blaster. Starring a white guy. Fighting White Guys. The Rocket-firing boombox is used once, poorly. Every other kill is just ordinary guns.

I slid down a slope once, my arm got shredded because I hit a bush on my way down.
My mother once broke her back sliding down a slope.
Don't underestimate the power of slopes.

Neither of those things were evident.

>My mother once broke her back sliding down a slope.
>once
Isn't this the kind of thing that can literally only happen once? Aren't spine breaks a lifelong injury? I don't imagine they heal as easily as a broken arm.

>A steep slope with his two companions in the way, and nothing to slow them down until the hit the ground.
>Neither of those things were evident.
which things? OP said, and I quote "Suddenly the stairway in front of you becomes a very steep slope of stone." The Ranger and Rogue went first, meaning they will be in front of some random jackass coming in from behind them, and it was stated that they cant see anything from the dark. So what, exactly, wasn't evident?

They heal, but they are never the same again, she still has back problems, but she's not an invalid or anything.

>Bard and ranger already descending by rope
>Steep slope, can't see the bottom
>Jumps anyway

Not entirely sure what he expected to happen, but tough shit.

It seemed quite evident from the text.
I miss you, Uncle Phil/Shredder.

to be clear, it's not like she snapped in two, but a couple vertebrae needed some serious work.

>It seemed quite evident from the text.
>no details on width of the slope
>"you can't see the bottom"
>DM doesn't bother to inform that it might be a bad idea with the other two already on the slope

>DM doesn't bother to inform that it might be a bad idea with the other two already on the slope
Common sense should have informed them that it was a bad idea.

Why? The DM didn't say what space there was.

because you're leaping down a slope that two of your allies are already descending. It's really not that hard of a concept.

Unless the slope was barely a meter wide, the cleric would have had room. It's really not that hard of a concept.

And the cleric never specified where he was jumping from, nor did he specify that he was trying to avoid his comrades.

No, the DM just went right with it and didn't offer any additional information at all, and killed three of his players as a result.

I don't stop my players from doing dumb shit if they really want to, and dead pcs happen.

Basically all traps are meant to be deadly. "Non-lethal" traps are just ones too weak to kill PCs but within the reality of the game world they would kill a presumably average interloper and the PCs are just a cut above that threshold.

Also ask your player to describe their actions or explain why they think their plan will work. It's not only good for roleplay, but can also:
>have the player realize the flaws in their plan as they try to work through their own logic
>indicate to the DM where the DM failed to communicate when the player starts referencing things that don't exist and neglect to mention things that should be very obviously pertinent.
>reveal to the DM things the DM didn't know or a line of logic the DM didn't consider that would make the player's plan actually valid

>No, the DM just went right with it
Which is what any decent DM should do when a player volunteers to fling himself face-first into a dark pit.

He didn't offer any additional information because the players never asked, which is not something the DM is required to do. He gave the important details to the party, and they just ran with it.

Three were thinking up possible solutions, two cautiously explored forward, one leapt without a care or any regard.

Your cleric watched too much Olympics. The only skeleton in D&D should be a bonebro.

So if this gets your character killed, would you be cool with it?

I'd be cool with the DM not the fucker that got us killed.

I'm gonna be honest, I was expecting spikes at the bottom.

The fact that anybody was willing to leap into the teeth of a trap like that is clearly a case of suicidal stupidity.

Well, obviously.

But I was referring to a character dying from their own stupid actions.

Featherfall is a reaction and ranged, why didn't wizard save bard and ranger?

Something I see that contributes to this shit is players or dms taking too much time or making too many checks for doing the same thing. It makes players feel like its more interesting than it is, and other players feel like they should interact with this important thing too.

Also clarifying to the cleric that the slope is both steep amd so narrow that he will hit his friends on the way down.

The ranger and thief should have made their choices, amd no one else was coming. The dm should have let them make their checks. They get down there and it's fucking nothing because it's just a trap. Give them a skeleton and a pittance of loot

>Rogue and Bard cushioned by the pulverized body of the cleric

If they were my own stupid actions yes I'd be okay with that I'm not an ass but I'm also not an idiot so making stupid actions instead of accidents isn't something I do.

>A slope isn't an obviously deadly trap
For one "potentially lethal" was used, secondly why would someone put such mechanisms into their lair/dungeon if not for the express purpose of funneling intruders into spikes, acid pit, or some other death trap?

This example wasn't Emperors New, fucking, Groove with some crazy-whacky-zaney cartoonish slide into the enemies lair or god damn Scooby Doo. They walked into a dungeon, you are already accepting the outcome of what happens inside it based on "rules where the players have a fighting chance" based on their attentiveness/perceptions as they advance throughout the complex. Death to traps is as much of a thing in DnD as is dying to the things that laid said trap.

Someone fucks over the other players? Oh well, they had the chance to pass a save, they didnt, they died. Roll a new character, and if you dont want to play with the faggot, tell him so and kick his ass out but what happened happened. Can't deal with it? Then wait till you get rezed if its a thing in your setting or if not then see you later.

>"I cast Feather Fall to the three of us"
Feather Fall can only be cast as a reaction, and only on yourself, in 5e.

Is this why wizards are even more OP than they should? Because nobody follows the rules for magic?

The context is all there, whats left to offer in terms of information? They were advancing inside a complex of some sort, being dnd it should be more than a safe assumption that they arent here for a friendly chat with the owner, and a staircase 45 degrees itself.

What the hell do you think it's doing that for you dunce? To help you on your way directly into the treasury? Obviously not, its a god damn trap mechanism to feed you into a meat grinder and it sounds like almost everyone immediately knew that and made the appropriate saves and actions to stop themselves from falling down the slide. Now why would that be, what possible reason would they have stopped themselves from falling? Because everyone fucking KNOWS that shit is a death trap with the exception of you and the idiot cleric it seems.

Outside of initiative action economy doesn't matter, and Feather Fall can be cast on 5 people with a range of 60 feet.

Feather Fall
1st-level transmutation
Casting time: 1 reaction, which you take when you or a creature within 60 feet of you falls
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, M (a small feather or piece of down)
Duration: 1 minute
Choose up to five falling creatures within range. A falling creature's rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the spell ends, it takes no falling damage and can land on its feet, and the spell ends for that creature.

For emphasis:
>Choose up to five falling creatures within range.
>falling creatures
You cannot target someone who is not currently falling. Hence the ”reaction” trigger.

what does this mean

If I were the DM I'd fudge it so the cleric's corpse is enough of a meat cushion for the other two to survive, although injured and probably needing to get dragged back to town ASAP to hire a less retarded healer.

I honestly would expect the DM would want me to slide down the slope if I encountered one just to get us to some point of the dungeon without an easy way to return. My party also got into random minecarts or boats whenever we encountered them in dungeons, without being able to see were we would end up. Not everything has to be the Tomb of Horrors or some shit like that.

Sure, making them take some damage or putting them into a dangerous situation would have been fine but killing them for basically trying to humor the DM is just lame. The Cleric just wanted to speed things up.

Half my life.
It sucked

>why would someone put such mechanisms into their lair/dungeon if not for the express purpose of funneling intruders into spikes, acid pit, or some other death trap?
Not that i disagree with your point in general, but oubliette's exist, and it could just as easily land in a cage, or, depending on the tone and personality of the villain, be a fun slide for him to use as a quick passage.
That said, PC was retarded and didn't think ahead.

OP Here guys. Wasn't expecting this long of a debate.

First, Feather Fall in 5e says "Choose up to five falling creatures."

And second, this wasn't the DMs whim or homebrew. We were playing "The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan" from Tales.

While I agree that it could have been less punishing with both the Ranger and the Bard, our party tends to act impulsively everytime, being two or three characters the only ones to stop and think.
After this ridiculous situation, we held an hour-long debate about how we make decisions in-game, and was highly enriching.

And sorry, but in no circumstance "I slide face-first down a steep slope into total darkness" seems to me like a good course of action.

>jump 2 inches off the ground
>I just fell 2 inches
>wizard started casting the spell then
There we go, faggot

Falling is a pretty open to interpretation verb. Sliding would fall under it.

fall
fôl/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: falling
move downward, typically rapidly and freely without control, from a higher to a lower level.
"bombs could be seen falling from the planes"
synonyms: drop, descend, come down, go down;

Shit by that definition walking down stairs at a brisk pace could qualify.

14d6? Isn't that more damage than terminal velocity? How the hell does a pile of three flailing bodies manage to reach that speed? On what was likely not a stone slope polished to a mirror sheen?