EDH/Commander General

Rules Edition

Previously:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
EDH It's known for ridiculous board states and interesting interactions. What rules questions have come up during an EDH game that you didn't know before?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hard-bolas-tribal/?cb=1519264485
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ib-halfheart-goblin-tokensac-deck/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I somehow never knew until recently that the replacement effect for commanders means they dont "die". It wasn't until I saw someone run OP's image.

I felt like an idiot when they pointed it out though.

>EDH It's known for ridiculous board states and interesting interactions. What rules questions have come up during an EDH game that you didn't know before?
if i take someone elses turn and cheat does that disqualify them cause technically its them doing it?

That Sheldon is not cool

I learned that Rain of Gore doesn't stop lifelink anymore... Unless it's from an ability like Brion Stoutarm's fling ability.

>pretty new playing commander
>friend is just as new
>grab the darietti precon
>figure out how it works, start milling artifacts and reanimating them
>one game we're playing 1v1 and I cast bitter feud on him
>another time I scrap mastery an insane pile of bullshit that we couldn't figure out
>"user, you can't play that deck anymore until you figure out how it works".

No, because you are controlling them, it would be the same as if you controlled an opponent creature and then tried to cheat with it, it's you who is cheating.

>EDH It's known for ridiculous board states and interesting interactions. What rules questions have come up during an EDH game that you didn't know before?

If I have a creature enter the battlefield as a copy of a land and loses all characteristics of being a creature, does it need haste to tap for mana?

I'm thinking of building Phenax wall tribal to deal with some combo bullshit at my store.
Can anyone teach me the way of mill in edh? I've never even seen it played.

That's understandable. It used to specify 'goes to the graveyard' instead of 'dies' so I've seen some people just think it means destroyed. Then a lot of people don't fully get the whole replacement effect of going to the command zone too.

If it's no longer a creature at all, it doesn't need haste. Did you have an example of a situation that allows this?

Mill rarely works well in commander.

Yes, I had Infinite Reflection on a manland, and cast Rise of the Dark Realms

to add to this, some cards don't care if a creature it affects actually dies so long as it is still destroyed by said effect. Pic related will still give you a card for destroying a commander even if the Command Zone replacement effect is used.

>op question
hexproof plus random targets and do they count when determining what I can and can't target.

side thread question
>what would you like to see in C2018 in terms of colors for walkers?

(Select from among all legal targets.)

Yeah, they'll come into play as non activated manlands and will be able to tap for mana immediately. Note that when the manland stops being a creature, the aura will fall off.

The viability of incidental mill in a format is inversely related to deck size. In commander, you have to mill 100 cards compared to only 40 in draft. Adding in multiplayer makes it even harder because you now have 3-5 other 100 card decks to mill. It's way harder.

That said, combo mill can work, though the obvious Painter Stone one is banned.

Bo Levar, Izzet

will it be artifact based :^)

That's actually incorrect. The land was animated by an enchantment (wind zendikon), so they would enter the battlefield as a copy of the enchanted land (island).

I think mono-black Oona is good for mill.
Though that might be because your opponents will usually die before you actually mill them.

What do you think of my Bolas tribal?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hard-bolas-tribal/?cb=1519264485

Why is he so bad lads?

Unfortunately he'd just be another spellslinger.

>mono black oona

>when your friend brings out his shitty chaos deck

fuck you Dave, no one wants to spend hours shuffling decks and rolling dice for targets and dealing with knowledge pool. fuck. you

>>what would you like to see in C2018 in terms of colors for walkers?
I generally don't play the colors but I'd really like to see Azor as a Walker.

I play 3 different mill decks. What do you want to know?

Phenax is kind of meh, unless you've got a combo to untap him and another creature to deck someone in an elaborate way. Don't play bad burn with cards like mindscuplt, either mill yourself to set up shenanigans, or mill everyone else with a combo. In theory, you can run a wheels deck that will mill people hard with sphinx's tutelage, or combo out with consecrated sphinx/waste not, but in practice you need a commander that either enables infinite mill, or can win based off of the mill.

Also, obligatory mindleech mass.

Yeah, mono black Oona.
Sure you can run the dual swamps to use some blue stuff, but the idea is to generate big mana in typical mono black fashion.

Looks pretty decent to me. At least in a creature v creature brawl. Not as great against spellslinger or stax.

Why does he look just like a myr?

No, they would enter as unanimated islands.

I learned about layers and time stamps.

Go on, give me examples of some bullshit.

Yes, that is what I said.

what should i build next? No order but I have the cards for at least some of each deck

>Mathas group slug: steal card draws, reverse life gain and kill shit
>Geth's initial D experience: Big mana, kill spells and ways to take opponents shit while getting my shit from the grave
>Titania: she seems like fun
>Rakdos, lord of riots optimized: I have a 30 dollar budget version minus commander cost command tower and sol ring, this would just make it a legit rakdos deck.

God, you have one of THOSE guys? Sorry.

not that user, but a suprisingly common question that comes up pretty often is urborg and bloodmoon on the board. Are nonbasics just mountains or blood crypts? what about the basic lands not effected by bloodmoon? are they also swamps, or do they remain the same? I know its technically a dependency question and not a layers question, but you would be shocked how many people get this wrong.

Humility is much more complex than I thought.

Well Urborg is non-basic so... there is no Urborg on the field.

I'm still spitballing, but I was thinking of turtling up with walls n counterspells.
Milling at my leisure, while only stopping spells that would affect my field or let someone combo off.

Also layers here, but it was an easier thing. Just about assymetrical counters and switch p/t effects.

how much of a dick move/ how much hate would i get if i added impact tremors to this deck
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ib-halfheart-goblin-tokensac-deck/
also what can i add to improve this

Oh, then what did you think was incorrect about what you quoted?

>tfw no playgroup
>tfw have to play with spergs at LGS

anybody live in LA?

Are layers and timestamps still a thing? I haven't had to deal with them in a long time.

>anybody live in LA?
I hear a lot of people live there.

>tfw new cards arriving tomorrow

you're playing goblins, no matter what people will always hate and love you. Also add purphoros impact tremors they should be in every "flood the board" deck.

but it's so random lol XD

You know, I never thought of that. I wonder if he was a very corrupted myr.

He's amazing, what are you talking about?

Good luck finding non spergs on here, user.

I've never looked at his art up close before. Its really cool.

>>Thread Question
I manifested an instant, then played an effect that forced a face down creature to turn face up. There was an instant on the battlefield. We had no idea what to do.

Maybe that's why he was ado open to helping the mirrens.

You reveal it and turn it back face down.

What did you end up doing?

>tfw brainlet newb so I only turn creatures to the side because I'll have no idea wtf I'm doing if things get more complicated than that

Is there any hope for me? Well I be stuck playing Xenagos forever?

That.
Secondary question. I use Scion of the Ur Dragon to become a copy of Nameless Inversion, what happens

If course there is, user. Everybody starts there. Just don't be afraid to see ideas in other people's decks, pay attention to interactions, and push yourself as you get more comfortable building other decks. That being said, turning creatures sideways can be super fun too!

You can't, Scion only grabs a Dragon permanent card.

Are there any blue or artifact cards that work like Relentless Rats and override the rules for Commander?

Scion of the ur dragon searches for dragon *permanent* cards. Nameless inversion isn't a permanent.

>OP
Playing xenagod and i swing with a fatty that has double strike but no trample. My opp blocks and i think he still takes normal combat damage at least. 5 minutes of googling later and we discover me and my best friend have been playing wrong for years
>side action
Rakdos and/or gruul.

Well, the most complicated part of the game involves permanents, and usually creatures, so if you can sort that out, spells are easy.

>Thread Question
Once I was playing the a Kess deck of my friends and another friend cast Curse of Echoes on me, so to make things extra spicy I cast Memory Plunder on my friends Yagmoths Will with a boatload of mana out and started to cast my Storm and silly X spells and everyone got a turn, the guy who owned Kess scooped and I talked the others through their stack interaction due to them mostly playing turning creatures sideways.dec and the highest stack they've seen being a response to a counter spell.

It was the longest turn we've ever collectively had, and it was hilarious and a really good learning experience for my other two friends.
Curse of Echoes is incredible at shutting down a combo player if you can get it on them in time.

>become a copy of Nameless Inversion
>serch for a dragon permanent card
Check the Oracle text, it was errated.

Urborg actually sets types before Blood Moon erases abilities, so The Urborg won't have any abilities, but everything will still be swamps.

You'd be surprised at how many kitchen table players have been playing the game wrong since they started. Nobody sits down and reads the entire comprehensive rules. It's when these people refuse to accept the actual rules that it becomes frustrating.

I had a guy storm off during a game because he refused to accept that i could block an attacker with more than one blocker.

Yes but R&D has had the foresight to exclude printing more cards that generate the more complex interactions involving them. Compare Star-field of Nyx to Opalescence. The side-stepped the whole potential fiasco by making Star-field NOT animate itself.

And then stops being swamps because nothing is making them swamps anymore. A useless bit of trivia.

whoops nvm, I thought for some reason Opalescence animated itself Disregard That I Suck Cocks

Urborg isn't a permanent effect, once it's 'swamp aura' effect is removed by blood moon everything stops getting the additional swamp typing.

relentless rats and shadowborn apostle are the only instance of a "plentiful" card.

why do you ask.

Friend wants me to play after almost seventeen years away from the game. The only card I still own is a original Ramses Overdark. Wondered how many of a card like that I could realistically buy and put in a deck for the lulz.

Opalescence can suck cocks.

you could try purphoros if you want to dial it down even more

>The only card I still own is a original Ramses Overdark
you should just buy a precon. you will have a much more fun experience.

Oops

I actually use this card as preemptive removal sometimes to kill combos

I used to think only 2 blockers could be declared because i only ever saw and heard the term "double block"

Those decks + thrumming stone are somewhat funny the first time, but get boring really fast.

>not embracing the one true playstyle of MEN
>not wanting to win in the MANLIEST way possible
>SMASHING YOUR WAY TO VICTORY ISN'T COMPLICATED ENOUGH FOR YOU
you don't deserve the blessings of the manly party god

I don't actually want to play again, I just thought it would be fun to show up with a bunch of rats and swamps.

I remember seeing this in one of these threads a while ago. Can't imagine a card that targets people who abuse multiples of cards would be in a Commander deck. But then again what do I know?

That is fucking hilarious.

i just built a shadowborn apostle deck with thrumming stone. it's a neat little trick.

>who abuse multiples of cards
I mainly use it to kill a combo I know is comming before it even starts.
Some creatures are either annoying to remove or are just straight up bad for you when cast *cough* *cough* eldrazi *cough*
You need to know the people you play with and their decks though.

>What rules questions have come up during an EDH game that you didn't know before?
Sudden spoiling taking away abilities that are granted from equipment
I still don't agree with it

Well, you could just put in 99 lands and have omnath as the helm of your deck.

I think that's a layers issue.

In case anyone else is wondering about this, no spell or ability is causing you to gain life with lifelink. Lifelink does not cause you to gain life, the damage does. Lifelink is simply an alteration of damage rules a la wither or infect.

It's not always that they would have multiples. For 3 mana, you can look at your opponent's hand and entire library, and if you've never seen this deck before it's a great idea to figure out how dangerous their deck is and how to deal with it. If you have played against the deck before, then you know of a creature to name that you don't want to see in play.

How does 99 mountain ashling win? Plz no bully it just seems like she kills herself

it takes away abilities but not the stat bonuses. If you can re-equip it post resolution, they'll regain the abilities

It's easiest to think of Sudden Spoiling like a one shot Humility.

She blows herself up when it will kill the other player but not you.

It is more of a timestamp issue, since both affects the same layer. Basically, effects will occur in the order they appeared.

The weird thing is that if Brion Stoutarm attacks while Rain of Gore is out, you'll gain life, but if you use Brion's fling ability, Rain of Gore works like it's supposed to.

The problem is lifelink worked different back when Rain of Gore was printed. It was an triggered ability back then.

I think he is complaining more about the fact that sudden spoiling is lore-wise weakening the creature, so it has nothing to do with what the equipment gives it.

I mean, if you hold a magic shield that protects you, a spell that weakens you shouldn't take out the protection from the shield. It is more of a problem that revolves around how equipments grants abilities.

Couldn't I counter this card with this card and cards like it since I'd be playing black?
>Mythic Rare
That would be hilarious. Oracle says you can keep the mana indefinitely. Does that mean he just keeps getting bigger and bigger?

>The problem is lifelink worked different back when Rain of Gore was printed. It was an triggered ability back then.
Is that the same reason you can get double lifelink with certain combos?

Because the fling ability is gaining you the life from damage. Combat damage isn't an ability.

RIP stacking lifelink, died so we could not die from going to 0 but gaining life from it.