EDH/Commander General

Longevity Edition

Previously:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
How long do you normally keep a deck before it gets retired? What deck have you played with the longest?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FbBQvA0KInk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post weird art from artists that only did a handful of cards

I can tell why he only did a handful of cards.

T͎̯̜͟ḫ̦͓͓̯ͅi͚̜͈̺s̸̭͙̳̬͝ ̞̠͕́͘ţ̴̩̜h̵̢̘̳̳͙̟͕̜̰r̷͇̦e̛̝̻̬̺̗̭̩͎á͇̪͠d͓̗́͘ ̵̬̺̬h̢͕͙͖͖̯̜͉͢͜a̟s̥͎̖̟͕̳̦̀ ̟̫͇͓͜b̡̫̖͎̕e̜͉̪̰̯̪͎̘e̘̜͕͔͕̞͎̫͜͠͡n͓͕͕͚̬̖ͅ ̸͓̙͇̹͎̟̖͠c̵̠̞l̵̩̮̰̣͖a͖̪̺̩i͍͔̰͍͖͚̠m̩̻͡è̛̩̱̥d͙̥͇̫͎̠͍͝ͅ ̥͖̟̪̹̭̠͍̖͠͞b͙͇̹̗̪̗̙̤͝y̪͇͟ ̘͚͚̰͈͍̥g̺̳̫͎͜l͖͞ò̷͖̯r̵̜̹̥̜̺̖͓̫i̞̗͖̝͙̙̣͢͡o̱̟̱͖̭̪̥̺̕͜ù͇̰s̞̱͉͈̙͓̩͙ ͍̞͝P̟͇̣̼͇͖̜̣̀ẖ̣͍̮͞y̹͝r̸͔̖͓̬͓̞̠͢e̝͇̠̞̘x̶̘̱͔͘͘i̵̧͚͚̟͖̥̕ͅͅa̩̰̘̘̱.͇̺̳͓̦͢
͉͓̤̫
͉̻͙P̷̬͕̰̕ò͍ͅs̫̺͚̣̀t̻̟͙͢͜ ̦̣̬̱̪͝P̼̻͠͠e͍͚͘ŕ̸̸̰̥̫̱̮̠̣f͍̣̱̦͎̜̩͉e͈͎̱̩͇͞c͖̭̠͢t̜̞̺ì͔o̵̞͡n̸̛̝͚̱ ̵̣͔̝̯̝̜̭̰̕!̷͇͖̜̜͓̰ͅ

He actually did way more cards than I thought. Still like him a lot though and it's definitely not art that would ever get printed in modern Magic.

I hate this format so much, I wish people played something else.

>Make Sidisi EDH deck, trying to balance between mill and sacrifice
>Turns into Legendary Creature Boogaloo, supported by a squad of zombois.
BUG just has so many fucking good legendaries, it's hard not to assemble the Leggo Force

From far away that looks like Andy Sixx.

Pauper is heating up a bit. It's pretty fun and affordable. Would recommend.

Dude only did exactly two cards and it's pretty easy to see why. But goddamn if this art hasn't been burned into the mind of everyone who's ever seen it.

And what's better? Legacy? Vintage? The shitshow of bannings and unbannings for monetary purposes that is Modern and Standard?

I'd give you Pauper, maybe.

Something about the teeth reminds me of King Crimson.

Always makes me think of In the Court of the Crimson King.

Dose anyone know where i could buy alters with phyrexian writing, other than elesh norn?

Here's a Phyrexian alter.

:^)

NICE.

good man

I have like nine pauper decks, haven't managed to get anyone in this state to play it for more than a week.

Legacy and Vintage are fun.

>Autismo at LGS traded away everything good he had away to the store for packs trying to get a Masterpiece card for several years
>Never pulled one and now holds a grudge against anyone who has one and will gun for any masterpiece that's on the table even if it'll ruin the game
>Destroyed one guys Choke allowing the blue player with several combo pieces to win the next turn

How do we cull the spergs from this game?

>Legacy and Vintage are fun.

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Just target him every game to make him feel even worse. There was a dude at my LGS who bitched about every single play against him, no matter how justified it was. So we just relentlessly targeted him every game until he stopped showing up.

I remember when I pulled *three* masterpiece lands from two BFZ prerelease packs. Blood Crypt, Flooded Strand and a Prairie Stream.

I'm lucky enough that where I go there's enough people that you can just stop playing with someone if they're a cunt.

There's this one guy at the place I frequent who's a bitter anti-social poorfag who gets mad at others for having nice shit even if it's things they've pulled in draft, packs, traded for, etc while at the same going through several packs of cigarettes a day. He also doesn't drive or own a car and his mom drives him to the store so it's not like he doesn't have the ability to save money. I stopped playing with the fucker after every time he'd whine if I played something that costed so much as $10.

Damn son I'm jelly but I'm especially jealous of that Flooded Strand.

Post tech

A few months ago I bought a BfZ prerelease pack because I wanted the full art lands and I'm an idiot who didn't want to just buy them separately. First pack I opened, I got a Flooded Strand, worth more than the box
's pretty nice

There was a guy at the second prerelease opening, after the first midnight one. I pulled Crypt at the first opening, then Flooded & Stream at the second. He told me he'd go to the bank and buy them instantly.

I can't remember the exact value they were at on release, but the store owner checked on their handy dandy computer, he went to the bank, came back with a fat stack of cash and we both were quite happy with the exchange. Good times.

I went 0 wins and 1 win... so I guess it wasn't all good but heyo.

>how to get everyone mad at you without doing anything real for yourself: the card

I bought the Legends version of this a few months ago for $3 to throw into a control deck. It's surprisingly effective. I just checked now and apparently it's nearly $40 now. The Chronicles version is still bulk, though.

That's what I'm here for baby

For whatever reason casuals don't even recognize Vintage exists because of the money meme yet are willing to spend $2000 on opening boxes and buying precons every year. Meanwhile Legacy is by far much better at the casual brew fun when everyone is in on it than Commander will ever be.

>op
my longest standing edh is probably my elf/eldrazi

>yet are willing to spend $2000 on opening boxes and buying precons every year.
Because they're spending that money constantly playing the game they enjoy vs. just saving up and NOT playing for months and months to be able to afford one deck in a format their LGS probably doesn't even support.

>willing to spend $2000
Which will get you a single Mox. Wow. Better not play any Magic anymore and save up instead and in like a decade I can afford half a Vintage deck. WORTH IT!

hope you dont get burned with masters 25, I'm waiting to buy anything pricy just in case it gets reprinted.

Forgot to say on what, Meren upgrades and Gishath shit.
See above. Most of it is Ixalan shit, so I'm hoping I'm safe.

Should I get mana vault for my purphoros deck

Ah you should be good then. I'm just hoping for an ancient tomb and academy ruins reprint, hopefully some other nice surprises too- azusa already has me hyped.

I'm waiting for Masters 25 too. Currently I'm eyeing a few ABUR duals I want and saved up for instead of buying other shit I need like Snapcaster.

Can you untap it for less than the cost? If not don't.

How easily, if at all, will this thing of dice fit into the middle tray of the deckbox? If need be I'll just jam as many individual dice as I can into it, but I'm curious.

They will all fit.

>gishath shit
My brother

Superb. With room to spare for say, some spindowns and an anthology life counter?

Should be golden. Ulimate guard is the man, love their boulders too when I just want to take one deck with me. That anthology life counter is life, I hope the new anthology has a new version with different art or something.

Because all of a sudden there isn't a single Vintage deck under $2000 and although you have several grand to literally throw away on basic lands and $0.25 rares money is suddenly a huge issue for you.

>although you have several grand to literally throw away on basic lands and $0.25 rares
Nigger someone spending $10 a week on their hobby for years and getting constant utility from it doesn't mean they can plop down big money (for far less utility) at the drop of a fucking hat.

>oh but your draft chaff isn't worth anything
Doesn't matter nigger I got 3-4 hours of play out of it and had fun. When I open money and sell it off to break even for the night that's just gravy.

Thanks for shifting the discussion to your spending habits and not the people I'm talking about, is there anything else you would like to say about yourself or do you have a blog I could subscribe to?

if i've never played magic before, is EDH a good way to start?

Probably one of the worst if you're trying to use it to learn Magic, it adds a bunch of special exceptions to the rules and is filled with a variety of card effects that have inexperienced players flipping through the comprehensive rules. If you just want to play EDH then it doesn't really matter but get used to reading cards.

The rare MtG whale who spends hundreds on booster boxes and shit is STILL getting far more utility and a lot more cards to brew with than they ever would buying into Vintage or Legacy.

There is ZERO reason for anyone who hasn't been playing for decades and doesn't already have access to most of a Legacy deck to buy into the format, at least in paper. MTGO is understandable. But shit it seems like all the few people who do play Legacy ever do is bitch that not enough people play Legacy. Why would anyone look at that sinking ship and think they desperately need to get on board?

Easiest to buy into, simply pick up a precon.

Hard to learn, since the card pool you're dealing with is one of the largest in all of the game.

I'd recommend maybe drafting a bit before you dive in, but as far as constructed is concerned, it's a fun and casual experience most of the time.

Get a couple of friends and buy the precons. The commander precons are probably some of the best products wizards of the coast has, and they retain value incredibly well. They’re very well built for stock decks and you can save almost all of the cards in them for later use in other commander decks.

>24 packages
>$4 shipping
God sometimes I wish I didn't live in Australia.

Holy shit dude, just stop. I can understand being upset when falling in love with a dead format, but you're not doing it any favors. You're actively leaving a bad impression of Vintage by demonstrating that I'd have to play with whiny babies like you.

I'd say the best way to start is to get a pair of cheap intro decks with a buddy. EDH can get pretty complicated, if you're joining an established group or just sitting in on a round at your LGS.

Thanks for your reply user, I've subscribed to your channel.

>tfw learning about kazuul in purphoros

yes yes, attack me

Wait a minute, where did all the (you)'s go? HIROSHIMOOOOOOOT!!!

>faggots can't fish for (you)'s now

good

Easily.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FbBQvA0KInk

Played this qt for the first time yesterday, with an esper control deck. Was pretty bonkers especially when combiened with Sensei's and Brainstorm and cloned.

What are some other good cards to repeatedly drain life from the table ?

Unless your commander has vigilance and you cast it after the arena, or if your commander is a weenie that only cares about its triggered/activated ability

I think you're severely overestimating
1) how many casuals are gambling whales
2) how many casuals want to play the most cutthroat format
3) how big overlap there is between 1) and 2)

I'm still waiting for a noble hierach reprint, but knowing wizards it will probably be at mythic and won't do anything to lower the price of it.

>knowing wizards it will probably be at mythic
>A fucking 0/1 at 1CMC in the mythic slot
god that would be so fucking stupid.

Hoe mad would people be if I put random pet cards I like in my decks when the pet cards are Warp World and/or Scrambleverse?

Warp World: not very
Scrambleverse: fuming, that shit takes a literal hour to resolve in EDH

Scrableverse has a very low chance of going into any of my decks but Warp World I would love to put in everything.

When the fuck are more reveals coming out for Masters 25?

>casuals are whales
>the most cutthroat format

Do... do you know what a casual is?

A 0/1 that costs 60$ is pretty stupid too.

Monday probably.

Why would you hate a format? did it do something to you?

I played a Mayael the Anima deck for a bit but i was just borrowing it

Got my own EDH deck, and it's a Mikaeus the Unhallowed budget infinite combo deck

The arbitrary rules, the arbitrary banlist, the people that play it and the mindset of the people who play it mostly.

??????

Did the extra question marks make you feel better?

sounds like you have no reason to be in the edh thread then, sweety :^)

Well damn it looks like I'm going to have to keep posting here because I play EDH and no one gives a fuck what you have to say.

>he shitposts in an edh thread on an anonymous image board about how he hates edh, yet still continues to play it

confirmed cuck :^)

>The arbitrary rules, the arbitrary banlist, the people that play it and the mindset of the people who play it mostly.

>le epic sigh
>dear diary (/edhg/)
>I wish the rules weren't so arbitrary for EDH. I'm not really sure what arbitrary means but I think I'll use it anyways.
>Also the ban list is so bad can you believe they allow Sol Ring? I wish I could convince people I know that fast mana is the work of the devil and to adopt the epic Cuckanese (that's French for you baka gaijin) ban list and than games could be tres epic and be five hour epics with song and dance routines inbetween each game and be a true COMPETITIVE format.
>I guess EDH is ruined forever

I cry every time user

>reddit spacing

If i wanted to use phyrexian altar, ashnods altar, and pitiless plunderer to sac a shit ton of tokens and make big X bombs, what commander or colors should i look into?

>If i wanted to use phyrexian altar, ashnods altar, and pitiless plunderer to sac a shit ton of tokens and make big X bombs, what commander or colors should i look into?
white + black

Most common "X Bombs" are Exsanguinate & Debt to the Deathless.

I could see that working well with red or green. Both have ways to give a bunch of tokens to sac and red will give you access to that dragon that makes you win if you have so many other artifacts.

>mana weave did nothing wrong

Unpopular opinion
jund
B/G is great at saporling tokens, and you have red for stuff like Impact Tremors, Goblin Bombardment as an alternate sac outletvif your altars are destroyed, and something like Banefire with a 'can't be countered' clause.
You can still play Exsanguinate if you want, but regretably no Debt to the Deathless

Alternatively abzan is great for token aristocrats, but i like the crutch of having red around. Banefire is single target (you can use Impact Tremors and Blood Artist effects for other players), but it won't whiff.

The prerelease I got certified at had a guy who opened a WOG and a Lord of Extinction

he's my mentor and only joined because we had an odd number

Precons are nice muh nigga

Warp world is actually quite strong, but you really gotta build your deck around it.

i don't really understand what mana weaving is meant to do

ghave abzan sapos?
He makes a lot of ashnods fodder and you can play all the white and black life suckers.

I need some help with this stage /edhg/.
Recently I built Malfegor's Fuck You And Fuck Your Hand, now I'm thinking about something like Gwafa's Peaceful Parade. I don't want to build something played out like Derevi/Brago stax. Mono red control ft. Kazuul? I'm not ready to go full Scrambleverse yet.

Stop.
For the love of god stop.
Not two threads in a row with this shit.
Do. Not. Take. The. Bait.

Scrambleverse is sort of a time issue as well as it's effect so people get mad+. Could be worse could be possibility storm.

it is a legal way to shuffle lands into your deck because its randomized after the shuffle but people think its cheating

I'm a brainlet
isn't it the only practical way to shuffle a 99 card deck?

if its supposed to randomize afterwords from normal shuffling then why do people do it?