Pauper General - MtG

NOT for Pauper EDH discussion

Come and talk about one of the healthiest, most accessible formats in Magic. Talk about brews, make suggestions, and BS as usual.

What are you brewing?

Gonna get rekt tonight with 3 color good stuff but it'll be fun anyway

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/40897/602371-rg-zoo-domain-version-/en
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-02-18-pauper-land-destruction/
discord.gg/SjVQrTC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Playin’
MBC, Burn, Affinity, TortEx-BG, Kuldotha, RG Aggro
>Brewin’
Was trying Land Destruction, but I think I’ll just go with RB Control for Terminate and Blightning. Throwing together cards for a basic Monoblue Delver deck as well.
>Hatin’
Lack of good sweepers in colors other than Black. Pyroclasm needs to be a common. Hurricane too.

Anything abnormal in your TortEx list? I'm the retarded autist doing the jund Death Spark list, always looking for cool new toolbox cards.

>RB control
Dude, that deck top 8'd that sorta major Italian pauper event. If you aren't playing Thorn of the Black Rose I'd recommend it

>sweepers
Completely agree on pyroclasm. Electrickery is good, but not a replacement. Maybe we'll get a compromise on a new 3cmc 2 damage to all in the future, at common. For blue, Fade Away always catches people off guard. Not a strict replacement but it'd been very good in my local meta

I use a copy or two of Sanitarium Skeleton, Basking Rootwalla, and Reclaim. Both have helped me in pinches. I stole Krosan Tusker from someone else’s list and I’m loving it. Can’t quite remember if I got anything else specific- I use a lot of 1-ofs.

>not playing burn in every format it's viable so you only need to buy/swap and handful of cards out to play a different format

Sanitarium Skeleton is a spicy one... being able to TortEx 2 times a turn, reliably, seems pretty significant... Also a recursive blocker if your TortEx gets blown up, etc

That was my thinking until my ex bought me those glossy Neheb sleeves and outer sleeves for my modern burn. Waaaaay to much effort now

Is there a deck that lets me play blightning, stone and molten rain, terminate, and chainers edict?

That’s exactly what he’s been doing.

BR Control/Aggro

You can do it, but I wouldn't. RB LD control I guess

what is the current metabreaking deck? how are elves holding up? havent beenkeeping up with things for the past few months much

Elves are no longer top tier but still competitive. Everyone runs Electrickery now

>metabreaking
Not sure. Delver's definitely the best deck, Tron's close.

What should I put in in place of Daze for delver? Spell Pierce for now?

There's really no replacing Daze. Force Spike or Spell Pierce are alright, I guess.

When you say no EDH your thread comes up when I'm trying to get to the EDH thread.

How cheap could I build a Red Deck Wins on pauper? I'm kind of inspired to do a legacy deck.

The top mono red decks on tappedout are 50-60 bucks.

>outer sleeves

How long until faggots start playing with PSA cases? Implying this hasn't already happened

Currently trying to upgrade my affinity deck to a fully foiled affinity deck, and trying to figure out a dimir handlock build.

On a slightly related note, is MTGO worth it? I like playing pauper alot, but there's only pauper once a week in my LGS.

They're only used for gloss sleeves. Nobody plays them over regular matte sleeves.

Which makes sense, you need to protect gloss sleeves and make them not get gross and broken.

Some decks are

Decided to dig through my old garbage card box after getting hyped on pauper after years of not playing. Found a bunch of UB staples and a playset of nettle sentinels. Anyone got good UB control and G stompy decks?

>you need to protect gloss sleeves and make them not get gross and broken.

I have a set of glossy Dragon Shields I've been using since ~2002 (Onslaught) and they're fine, granted I also wash my hands (I have a friend whose sleeves are barely a year old and are fucking disgusting).

Post the sleeves.

Eh, that's not really the price range I'm looking for. I feel like Pauper shouldn't basically be almost as expensive as low end decent legacy decks

>$50
>low end legacy decks

wat

If you're looking at UB control
>BG tortured existence
>monored stax
>monowhite heroic
>monored heroic
Or check mtggoldfish for cheapo lists

Paper or Online?

See pic for stompy

>tfw local player uses these

not sure if I love or hate it (him)

What deck does he usually play?

some seemingly homebrew combos that tend to be super clunky to get going, but when they do its glorious

Seems like an alright guy to me, so long as he doesn't get mad when the combos don't work.

I guess the old high risk stuff like wild dogs, ghazban ogres and rogue elephants don't play anymore?

Paper preferably.

nah hes chill, but the sleeves couldnt look more out of place every time

My type 2 deck from when I was 14 is a go to against casual players.

Is Zombies fun?

WB aristocrats is more competitive

There’s no reason not to try it out. Decklists change all the time. Kird Ape still shows up time to time.

You can easily build a “budget” pauper Burn deck for pennies if you already have a few staples.

Well, I already have a modern Gobbos deck that has a few burn cards in it.

>want to brew so look up decks
>everyone running the same cards

But the zoo deck i found is pretty cool at least.

So, I'm kinda thinking now I want to build RG Zoo with Kird Ape cause I like him. Can I do that on the cheap?

So what can seriously wreck Murasa Tron's shit? Stompy? I'm tired of everyone in my store playing it.

None? Maybe blitz.

deckstats.net/decks/40897/602371-rg-zoo-domain-version-/en
I really like how this deck is put together. When buying should I really worry about buying the sideboard at the same time?

The sideboard looks alright, so there's not really any harm in picking the cards up if you're gonna get the deck regardless. You can always tinker with the sideboard for virtually no money, if it doesn't suit your needs.

I've been playing a ton of ponza recently. The delver matchup is starting to feel unwinnable, but I have yet to drop a match against tron.

someone hit me with an MBC decklist without oubliette for paper

those sleeves look bad, what are they?

see

Oh yeah. Be sure to grab a full set of Burning Tree Shaman.

Here you go friend.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-02-18-pauper-land-destruction/

Been playing this online and it's been a blast! The skeleton witch lock is amazing and actually is pretty good against some aggro decks (especially burn). Anyway what are some good black fliers I can put in? Having trouble with other opponent's fliers. Also I'll probably stick the other edict into the main board and put in more Shrivels into the sideboard.

How do I beat Delver decks? Everything they do just feels too efficient.

which one? mono blue u need to have flycreatures hate, UR a bit of landhate is good
against UB the number of creatures is low, so if you kill the right creatures you are fine

Play red, the literary have anti-tech for anything delver does. Electrickery kills faeries, pyroblast counters counterspells, one-mana burn spell deal with ninjas/flipped Delver. The only problem is Mulldrifter, which should be banned in pauper. There isn't a single more efficient creature in the format.

Just sleeve up all the other burn parts from other formats and literally just swap them in an out, that's what I've been doing for modern and legacy. No need to pull cards out and resleeve them.

is it that the current top decks are the best possible decks, or there are completely different builds within the cardpool waiting to be discovered?

Vault Skirge, Sultai Scavenger and Stinkweed Imp are the first cards that comes to my mind in terms of flyers. Have you tried to find room for a Sylvok Lifestaff in the mainboard? I'd imagine it might be useful with Sanitarium Skeleton in the lategame.

I don't think there's a holy grail left to discover, but a huge amount of new cards get introduced to the formate regularely. That's what shakes things up. There's always room to brew, though, and you won't get stomped if you don't play a Tier 1 deck.

Meta shifts constantly to boot. What’s top today may not compete against the decks of tomorrow(thanks to the constant flood of new cards).

Somebody help me break Angelic Renewal.

There has to be some funky tech there somewhere. I mean, combined with Auramancer you have a recursive sac engine. Not to mention getting double use out of Evoke creatures. But I can't help wondering if there's something I'm missing.

WB blink decks might be good with Angelic Renewal. Archaeomancer, Auramancer and Ghostly Flicker together is in theory an endless supply of Angelic Renewals, which in turn provides you with safety from edict effect, although it's not a constant ensurance. The question is how effective it will be in late game, because I don't see it as a very good option in the early game. It does provide an evoked Mulldrifter to effectively draw you 4 cards in a single turn, but that's a best case scenario, and not a reliable one.
It's a cool card. The question is how much support it needs to have as a minimum in order to function with success.

Might have some utility with the Kamigawa Zumberas. Faced a BG deck using Plagued Rusulka, Carrion Feeder, Unearth, and the green and black Zuberas to get utility out of the creatures and sac outlets. Maybe there’s an idea in there. Black has some good comes into play effects, like Chittering Rats and Grey Merchant, plus access to sac outlets to abuse it. Blue of course has Mulldrifter and other effects.

I have $50 to build a pauper deck, so what should i buy? I want a competitive deck but also want something unusual and fun to play. Thoughts?

Is Goblins Storm a good deck?
Is Mono Black Zombies a good deck?

TortEx or Affinity.

Nice, never heard of TortEx. What's the strategy?

Also, i don't want to play Affinity because i feeling that everyone at my LGS probably plays it.

Great creatures thanks! And maybe to the staff, usually in the late game I have both skeleton and the witch with 6 mana so I can loop that over and over making sure my opponents can't play anything

Golgari Brownscale and Tortured Existence. Dredge or discard a lot of stuff to your graveyard, get back the cream of the crop by discarding Brownscale, dredging it back gaining two life to do it again. Uses oddball stuff pretty efficiently, and has plenty of room for 1-ofs. Spore Frog is nearly a must- it can lock some decks out of the game, or slow it down enough for you to dredge out big guns.

Looks like my kind of deck. Thanks! I'll probably see some games and maybe buy it.

no & no

but pauper is the format of the fun so go for it

i"d recommend trying them on cockatrice or mtgo first though, some of these linear fringe decks can get boring real fast

Anything good left to buyout?

Lightning Bolt.

Any TortEx lists?

is elf viable in pauper?

Elves is a tier 1 deck, it's pretty viable.

Elf is for fags. Play goblins.

If GB your Core will consist of
4 Tortured Existence
4 Golfari Brownscale
1-2 Stinkweed Imp
2-4 Spore Frog
4-8 Commune with the Gods and/or Vessel of Nascency
The rest is personal preference, and what you want to do. I recommend a couple of Gurmags and Krosan Tusker for your high end.

Stole this from last thread, I enjoy it.

Forgot the pic.

Nice, thanks.

posting the discord
discord.gg/SjVQrTC

Fucking kill yourself.

??

>discord

What’s so bad about discord?

>Veeky Forums discords
Nigga you naive.

Lurk at least one year before posting.

there isn't always a thread up here
pretty much impossible to get matches in a slow thread
can't see who's actually online
etc

>abyssal gatekeeper
This is the card I've been needing, THANK YOU

I just got an entire Zombies Pauper deck on MTGO using Pucatrade (at least that shit website is still good for something), so i'll play a few games to see how fun it is.

Is it tortexmemehour?

It's like Birthing Pod was in modern

But bad.

Tron player detected

The format would be better without Ghostly Flicker. Discuss.

Agree. But, ultimately depends on what WotC wants the format to be.

I would say the vast majority of pauper players would rather it not be legacy lite -- nerf something from Tron and Mono U delver. For all Tron and Delver do, I can't understand how WotC justified banning Grapeshot.

Is MTGO worth it?

Most decks are cheaper on there and you can play whenever. Not as fun as paper, but yeah, I'd say