Arms & Armor thread

Arms & Armor thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BBrGYGk4Q-Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Was this ever an actual design? What would its function be

>what would its function be
To protect your face? Not every design decision has a tactical motive behind it.

>le passive-aggressive rhetorical question
You know what I meant, neck yourself reddit.

Anyone know how common those pavice shields would be for infantry? I usually just see them with archers. Is pavice+polearm more of an E. European thing?

Beats me. It would be a terrible cavalry helmet since you can't look down. Doesn't guard the neck very much. Looks neat though. maybe it's more of a parade helm like the one with spectacles or the one which is a chicken?

There's no need to over analyze everything, user. Sometimes things just simply exist.

Not that dude but I don't know what it was you meant. It's a helmet, it protects your head and face. There were a lot of experimental design choices during that period.

Also, double-ended dagger to go with .

Anyone have any images of men-at-arms, mail armour with munitions plate chest pieces.
Bonus points for kettle helms!
This is a style I really like, so thank-you for any help!

Dafuck is this shit

Ehh fuck it, who the fuck needs sleep anyway?

Apart from the obvious protection thing, it would have way more breathing space, that's for sure, which is a good thing. Although I don't know if it actually existed or not, kind of plausible though as there were more retarded ones than that

I'm kind of tired so, does random soldiers with kettle hat will be okay? some will have mail, some will have plate breastplates. Some might even have both.

Retards.
Any curvature and shape is optimize for damage or a specific action (like, say, unsaddle a knight) in weapons, and for defense/deflection in armor.
That user was clearly asking about the specific shape of the helmet and how the protection would work, where the deflection goes etc.
You fucking waste of oxygen.

>I'm kind of tired so, does random soldiers with kettle hat will be okay?

Oh absolutely, anything would be fab, and seriously, many thanks - it is appreciated!

The reach of these polearms is clearly very variable.
This answer some question I had from the last thread...

just spread the world that kettle hats and their variants are the helmet master race. Except the morions with big top parts. Those are shit.

>Anyone know how common those pavice shields would be for infantry? I usually just see them with archers
Pavise and spear or pavise and sword does show up in period art, but generally the problem by that time was that a sword or a spear was not going to be a good choice for well-armored infantry and you'd be better off using a polearm in two hands.

Worth noting that "pavise" is really more of a shape than it is an actual type of shield. The most common ones were free-standing pavises for crossbowmen to hide behind, but there were pavises used like a Roman scutum by spearmen and smaller versions to be used by knights.

Another thing you could do was deploy some of the free-standing variety and have guys with pikes stand behind them.

>Anyone know how common those pavice shields would be for infantry?

Depends on the region, but we know that they were use in northern to central Italy, the Habsburgs realms, the Lower Countries and Hungaria at one point or another.

So they were reasonably common.

I'm gonna assume you're the same guy because no one else would be this salty.

>Hungaria
heh...Hungaria...

Not the same guy and shut the fuck up, you retard.
That kind of things lower down the conversation and does not encourage those that could have had an interesting answer.
Off yourself.

>id rather be romanian

HLF, always am glad to see your posts. Question: is anywhere in the us on the larping level of the stuff you post? Not into smacking foam on greasy neckbears at a child's play park ya know?

well, if you want to be a gypo nothing is stopping you

you mean the stuff I post in this very thread right now which are not larp related stuff at all, or you mean the stuff I usually post in the larp threads?

The stuff you post in larp threads sweetie.

hey, I'm tired and I can never be sure. It's Veeky Forums after all, I've been asked a few very retarded question here every once in a while.

Anyway, there is probably a larp that is similar. Somewhere. And it's probably too far from you so you will never go there.
I mean, and this is just my opinion, US larps are 70% shit 25% meh and there are is 5% of okay and good somewhere but those are mostly small games or actively hide from the usual larpers because they are like lepers, spreading their shit everywhere.
A few years ago when I was _slightly_ less cynical I would have mentioned a few games that MIGHT be good but since then those went to shit too.
I would say to start your own but without a stable non-retarded player base it will die out or goes to shit.

But on the other hand you can learn to enjoy what you have. I mean you don't need to accept what some retard in another continent says in broken english

Right, I'm off, have to go to bed for an early start, but thanks for the pics, really interesting and - as always - very appreciated.

Very much a kindred salt spirit, then.

meanwhile asked someone who is way more intelligent than me. He says IF that helmet existed it's probably 14th century, there were a lot of experiments and shit like that. But again, can't say if it's actually based on a real one or not. But plausible.

good night user dream with kettle hats

This looks absolutely sweet, like straight from the witcher

Thanks my dude

indeed that guy is awesome and has an awesome helmet

No idea if these are authentic, but they are kind of cool.

These look all alike, which means they all look like shit.
Man, the Ancient Period was so much cooler. I dunno why people have such a raging boner for medieval when it was basically the same culture copy pasted all over

As far as I can tell, these were about as close to an effective crossbow pistol as anyone ever got. Must have been a real bitch to reload with that weird screw mechanism to draw the string, but very compact.

Would any anons here be able to help me with getting more information for the style of helmet I've circled in this manuscript illustration?

I've seen different styles of "scaled helmet" like this in all kinds of Medieval periods, but I've never found a proper name for them, or any surviving examples in museums.

Bait or just retarded?

Lads how dangerous would it be to engage in combat in full dress with blunted real weapons. That seems like the only instance in which larping isn't gay and it's still pretty gay.

Just because that's what LARPers wear doesn't mean that's all medieval Europeans wore. I bet that actual fashion for the period had more variety than you are familiar with and a lot of ancient stuff was basically a robe, a cloak, a pot helmet and a padded vest.

I respect your opinion. I mean, you have the right to have an objectively shit opinion

>worried about being "gay"
>scared of something being too dangerous for mom to allow him to play

>in full dress
like this? Because it would be very dangerous BUT nobody would judge you as it is 2018

Depends on how much armour 'full dress' is. There are people who do full-power combat with blunts, but they pretty much have to be in full, heavy plate for safety and I believe that injuries are still fairly common. Not really worse than other hard-contact sports though.

Would absolutely not recommend doing something like that with only mail or any exposed body parts.

>user doesn't want to die surrounded by sweating fa/tg/uys for the sake of a weekend hobby
The absolute state of anons these days am I right?

There’s the HMB USA and Armored Combat League if you want steel fighting

SCA if you want to do rattan stuff

And small groups like Dagorhir and Billegarth who do foam stuff
What’s your city?

>hating on combs
you aint my nigga

I doubt there is an accepted general term for them, but you might like this video from Knyght Errant.
youtube.com/watch?v=BBrGYGk4Q-Y

How hardcore a LARPfag do you need to be before getting a tonsure seems like a good idea?

Like, does he turn up for work with that haircut? Or does he grow it out before each event, shave half or it and then shave the rest at the end of the weekend? Surely that only works if you have six months or so between games.

I do it
Armor works and you can wear stuff under it like motorcycle protective gear.
You’ll still get hurt if your doing something stupid mid fight or getting fucked up

Kits that are good for this are: plate, brigantine and lamellar.

If your EU check out the historical medieval battle (HMB) or Battle of the nations pages for teams near you. If your US, there’s HMBUSA and the Armored Combat League.

could be a wig worn over a shaven head

fite me!

Look ut this failed abortion of a helmet and say that it's isn't ugly as fuck. Look at that ridiculus over the top top part.
I have no problem with well behaved morions that know that they are just a bastard child of a kettle hat, but these gay shit are just plain bad.

also guys I know this might be a silly question but... Why do you use word larping and fighting with real weapons interchangeably?
Is this another meme or something?

American can’t differentiate because to them anything that’s historical and has armor and melee weapons is nerdy and “Larpy”

does the government put something in the water there or why?

Personally I use the word larp for everything
>Into Viking shit
>Larper
>Own a piece of pagan symbolism
>Larper
>Listen to folk music
>Larper
>Own a hunting knife
>Larper

It's because our history doesn't go back that far, so medieval reenactment is often seen as a fantasy role-play thing rather than a historical thing.

That's why to 'Muricans pic related is "historical reenactment" while doing the same thing in medieval getup might be disparaged as "LARP" instead.

is it voluntary or someone forces you?

I would understand this if the whole population were vampires who were born at that time and would only hear about the medieval stuff from others.
But as far as I know everyone died from those wars you had with yourself so to a present day guy both is just history.
Does the US still have history lessons in school or they got banned too?

>But as far as I know everyone died from those wars you had with yourself so to a present day guy both is just history.
Sure, but it's history we weren't involved with, so interest in the Medieval period is purely abstract and has none of the cultural heritage context.

Think of how a European might view people in samurai armor reenacting historical Japanese battles in their country.

Fluoride. They say it's to improve teeth health.

>not putting extra area for decoration on your helm

>Think of how a European might view people in samurai armor reenacting historical Japanese battles in their country
history of a different nation. Little exotic but not "made up fantasy"
I mean, we have viking reenactors here too, I'm in a group of landsknecht reenactors, and I know a few other guy who does other reenacting than the history of our own country. And nobody questions the validity of it (well as long as they are indeed done their research and not just pulling stuff out of their ass)

this is how you put extra area on your helm

Are those metal plates covered in leather?

Any idea what time period these looks come from, armor / weapon wise? I’m trying to set a campaign that’s roughly 1000-1300 maybe tech level, and I’m trying to see what’s the appropriate stuff. I like these looks, and have stuff like mail, scaled, and brigantine, but obviously nothing like full plate and stuff. Are pics related about the right tech level?

Combat reenactment is really not much of a thing in the United States anyway. Even the Civil War reenactments are really seen as more traditional and aren't really a big thing.

Renaissance fairs are a thing and can include full-contact jousting, but they have more of a fantasy theme. And HEMA is also a thing but seen in mostly a martial arts context, as something you do in a gym.
Beyond that it's just generally just LARP with foam swords.

well this one is little out of that time frame mostly because of the brigandine (they are end of 14th and later) but you can kind of fit it there

that one is okay for the specified time frame but I'm not knowledgeable enough on earlier stuff to point out an exact date for it

also looks okay

I THINK that one is a Rus or some eastern european stuff from roughly 11-12th century so probably okay

that's an armstreet fantasy but you can handwave it for a game

should be okay

The closest we tend to get to high-quality LARP/combat reenactment that is widely practiced would probably be airsoft.

We 'Muricans do like our gats.

>Beyond that it's just generally just LARP with foam swords.
and even most of the stuff that US people call larp is basically just a boffer tag, not a larp.

milsims to be specific. Those are the ones that are the closest to larps, at least that's my experience.

Hey, thanks man! That helps a lot. I can probably squeeze brigandine in as sort of the new shit on the block, like a fancier coat of plates.

I guess you're more in 15-16th century stuff then? If you know of weapons from the time period I mentioned in the last post, I'd love to hear them. I kind of lose track of what polearms and swords developed specifically to deal with plate armor and the later time periods.

Even non-milsim airsoft tends to involve a lot of, well, cosplay, at least in the States. Perhaps even moreso than milsim because people aren't even out to necessarily imitate real soldiers, they're looking to fulfill their super cool tactical operator fantasies.

well, I'm mostly early 16th but that means I know a few stuff about late 15th and late 16th and have passing knowledge of everything else, except if I found a book that actually interested me. And sadly most of the really good books are about 1400 or later.

Anyway what do you want to know about the weapons? I mean, obviously you will have a lot of stabby and choppy stuff, and a little less smashy stuff, but even later smashy stuffs aren't that common, just as a combination, like on polearms.

Yeah but cosplaying isn't the same as larping. I could go on about the differences but this is probably isn't the right thread for that. But yeah you can find some more larpy games basically everywhere as a chance.

I would look at the Morgan/Macieowski Bible. It's from about 1250AD and showcases a fine selection of wargear.

Of the period you mentioned, the 13thC might be best to focus on as there is a much wider variety of equipment compared to the early part of the 1000-1300 date range.

So I guess going by the choppy and stabby stuff, things like axes, falchions, bastard swords and stuff are in. I guess warhammers would have factored in later on, because it could punch through / bang up plate better?

I guess in regards to polearms, for the time period things like bardiches and such would be appropriate as opposed to halberds and bills, yeah?

I mean I'm not running a historical simulation campaign, but I'm mostly trying to make sure I'm not throwing in weapons made to overcome armor that doesn't yet exist, and vice versa.

The Morgan/Macieowski Bible, huh? I think I remember hearing about it when I was doing research on my weaponfu, the falchion, but I didn't bother hunting it down and looking through it. Hopefully there are pictures of it / shit written about it around somewhere I can look for?

I understanding the difference, just pointing out the similarities between the two hobbies. Airsoft folks are costuming, participating in simulated combat with established rules and portraying a fantasy character other than themselves (at least in their heads.)

>So I guess going by the choppy and stabby stuff, things like axes, falchions, bastard swords and stuff are in. I guess warhammers would have factored in later on, because it could punch through / bang up plate better?
more or less.
Although keep in mind that contrary to popular belief falchions are mostly against textile armour or unarmoured opponents, not against mail and other metal stuff. And if you meantion three times in a row that they are like machates or just a heavy slab cutleranon will appear and will scream at you and make an academical thesis just to prove you wrong.

Also keep in mind that maces were nearly always a thing, but mostly a cavalry thing. Nothing is better than riding on the battlefield and popping niggas helemts with a mace.

>I guess in regards to polearms, for the time period things like bardiches and such would be appropriate as opposed to halberds and bills, yeah?
yep, bills and flails also an option, and most agricultural stuff, because if you are angry at John and you want to shank him you WILL get creative.
Also spears. You get all kind of spears in every time period.

Also I'm out now as it's nearly 2am here and I'm already after our hema training, today there is still work and another hema training so have fun guys.