Early 20th century settings

Are dieselpunk, weirdwar, and decopunk the same thing? Let's find out while I dump pictures

>dieselpunk
1930s analog

>weirdwar
1940s analog

>decopunk
1920s analog

I'll agree with you on decopunk, but can't dieselpunk be both 30's and 40's?

And now that I think of it, can't decopunk encompass all three?

>can't decopunk encompass all three?
Not really, the art deco movement is pretty grounded in the Roaring '20s. Obviously some of the aesthetic spilled into later decades, but the energy was lost.

Depends on the setting.

But seriously I would agree that dieselpunk can encompass the breadth of the 1930s to the end of WW2 (when atompunk takes over), but decopunk ends with the rise of dieselpunk and the aesthetic of bare metal and sharp edges vs. the finished surfaces and smooth lines of decopunk.

thanks anons, fascinating distinction

where does Bioshock / Rapture fall on that scale?

Always loved french dieselpunk. Or, I guess whatever you'd call their strange 1900's brand of sci fi

>Or, I guess whatever you'd call their strange 1900's brand of sci fi
Edwardian Science Fantasy.

Can't forget cthulhu mythos thrown in the setting for that extra angle

Rapture is very art deco.

I'd argue that you can get dieselpunk before deco comes in as well - in the late WWI stuff - because it's a broader and less specific aesthetic.

That's cool, where's it from?

Hellboy comic, best source of weirdwar

I need more 30's/40's superheroes if anyone has them

Deco died with the Depression

Silly user, that's just the actual storming of Normandy beach! Not anachronistic pulp history!

I fucking hate this picture. I hate that I have it saved. I hate that I continuously reference it for campaigns because I love the designs and they're all in one place in this picture.

>“We affirm that the world's magnificence has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing car whose hood is adorned with great pipes, like serpents of explosive breath—a roaring car that seems to ride on grapeshot is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.”
>“It is from Italy that we launch through the world this violently upsetting incendiary manifesto of ours. With it, today, we establish Futurism, because we want to free this land from its smelly gangrene of professors, archaeologists, ciceroni, and antiquarians. For too long Italy has been a dealer in second-hand clothes. We mean to free her from the numberless museums that cover her like so many graveyards.”

>tfw no good Futurist settings
I want racing cars and fighter dogfights, people pissing on the past and raising two fingers at the present because it's just too fucking slow.

Weirdwar is a genre, the other two are subsets of weirdwar.

Good guess but I think I got that from a flashback in a captain america comic

Soviet dieselpunk is always terrifying because who know's what the soviet union could have done with super-scientists

Right on, going fast is important

Man, fuck WWII for robbing us of this level of style and the time and money to produce these beautiful cars

The money was needed for swamp tanks

I should probably post things that aren't photos, but whatever

I don't like mixing traditional fantasy elements with Dieselpunk.

They're the past, and Dieselpunk is about the race to an abhorrent future and the miracles of technology that bring it about.

I just see it as one big setting. You want to focus on progress and industry? Boom, so much material. Exhausting the usual cliches? Buy yourself some time by throwing in occult or cthulhu, or hell, directly work it into the setting as being important

But I hear what you're saying about personal preference

>decopunk
>deco
>art style of architects, engineers, manufacturers, and people with art degrees.
>punk
I love art deco, but I still have to call bullshit.

>storming of Normandy beach! Not anachronistic pulp history!
Uber would like to have a word with you.
And I don't mean the taxi company.

>Warmachine lore reduced to filling for image dumps.
Well, at least it wasn't a complete waste.

>it's a "sperg gets triggered that '-punk' is widely understood to be a shorthand for 'element featured prominently in the setting'" thread

Damn rerun season.

punk just means anachronistic period piece setting nowadays, if the Veeky Forums shit-flinging linguistic arguments are to be believed

Would you believe pic related - which has independent suspension, on-board beverage cabinets, front wheel drive, an electric gearbox and push-button electric door handles, radio and, most impressively, a top speed of more than 100mph while weighing just over 2 tons - is from 1938?

I'd totally accept the term "decopunk" if you were fighting against a flawed society that had an art deco aesthetic, like if you were fighting pre-collapse Rapture to prevent children from being converted into industrial supplies, or you had to "steal" oxygen to keep the air in your neighborhood's dome breathable.

no I hear you, -punk used to indicate subversive themes. More and more though I'm hearing it to describe fictional settings with cool sci fi elements. I recently heard about freedompunk, which is just bush-era military wank with mechs and aircraft carriers that can fly

>More and more though I'm hearing it to describe fictional settings with cool sci fi elements
Really it should be redefined as 'Era X but with airships'

In case anyone needed a weirdwar villain that wasn't a nazi

>freedompunk
"Yeah, my PC is basically the Collateral Murder guy, he lit a van the fuck up with a Predator drone, and when he realized he'd blown away a wife, husband, and three kids, he lost his shit, got dishonorably discharged, and now fights The Man."

kek, give it 5 more years, there will be a x-com rpg game set during the war on terror

The new Borderlands game looks like shit

Almost right, Weird War is a setting, while the other two are an aesthetic.

"Dieselpunk" encompasses many decades of a style of *industrial* design.
"Decopunk" a specific *artistic* movement associated with the 1920s.
"Weird War" is for odd versions of WW2, whether scientific or magical.

Is there a name for that type of cape? The one the woman in the middle is wearing.