Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Critical Role
geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

>Raven Queen in Dungeons and Dragons
youtu.be/gXWgG83jyaI [Open]

>Previously, on /5eg/:
Tell me anons, what are the must have items a paladin can never leave home without?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-YNh4K6zmSk
youtube.com/watch?v=AA883-ajdWY
youtube.com/watch?v=8BGUcjPitJ8&t
youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-WJUidpRU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A cleric

Clean socks

What's weirder?

A DM who allows you to use any weapon in your "main hand" (for your attack action) + Light weapon for "off hand" (bonus action attack) in dual wielding?

Or a DM who allows your Ranger to heal people for 60 HP during his combat turn with 60 goodberries and resurrect people with 1 goodberry as well.

The second one is more retarded.

>that ranger houserule
This is why I stopped playing D&D with shitters.

>Using 60 actions in a single combat turn
wew lad

His virtue

anyone got some good barbarian metal? I know its silly, but preferably without screaming. I like it when the instruments are the loud booming parts you know?

>barbarian metal
Copper

I like Heidevolk

ACTUAL new thread, no critical role or raven queen.

"Instrumental folk" are good filter words
youtube.com/watch?v=-YNh4K6zmSk

The answer is Flying Whales by Gojira
It'll make you want to go be a badass

Oh shit, I didn't even check the last OP, that fucker is sneaky.

Much as i love Gojira and From Mars to Sirius in particulier, it's quite screamy.

45 Scrolls of Zone of Truth

Where were you when Mearls fixed the Sorcerer with the new Giant subclass?

Nominating ACHSHUAL-new-thread-fag for the title of worst /5eg/ shitposter.

Has anyone here tried D&D Beyond yet? I'm looking for opinions about it. It looks like a good, cost-effective way to minimize the clutter and disorganization at your table.
Critical Role seems to really enjoy it.

Would refluffing the Tempest cleric to be a sort of death deity with the justification that nothing speaks of raw power and sudden death than a lightning bolt from the sky taking you out, and the fact that without it we wouldn't be alive, and then of course the connotations with the modern electric chair? Would that be too far fetched?

we get it, you're salty
you can stop now

>cost-effective
I'm not going to pay for the books again.

Is Revised Ranger overpowered? Do you guys nerf any of it's abilities? Natural Explorer in particular seems to invalidate of lot of the difficulty of overland travel to the point where it feels like too much.

>ToA
>Paladin, Druid, Celestial Warlock, Cleric
>arrive in Chult
>never lie
>never underhand people
>help some random people off the street
>get the proper paperwork as outline by the law before stalking out
>a shitton of npcs like Artus trust us pretty much on sight
>smite evil, help the weak, get paid meagerly because we're just doing our jobs

What's the most goody-two-shoes party you've ever been a part of?

I don't allow dips, it's front loaded like all 5e classes.

So me and a few friends who getting into dnd.
When i ask to start a kobold on our first time playing i was told "no, it's too complicated"
Is this bullshit or justified?

Yes

Depends on the setting. Also, if you're relying playing an exotic race to play an interesting character, you are the problem.

If I was your DM, and everyone including me was new, I probably wouldn't outright say no, but I'd heavily encourage everyone to play standard PHB races and classes.

>mundane armor can go up to 20 without shields so it can compete with unarmored and magic armor spells and class features in raw numbers
Y/N?
>some form of equipment or addon replaces shields at higher tier armors for these same reasons
Y/N?

your "actual" thread got deleted shit-for-brains.

It's because everyone loves paladins, even when we slip up and forget to check the OP for shenanigans.

playing the begginers set, just wanted to play kobolds because i liked the look of them

>Is Revised Ranger overpowered?
Yes, PHB is perfectly fine

Do yugoloths have their own language?

>So me and a few friends who getting into dnd.
>Is this bullshit or justified?
Justified, you are new and should stick with the basic rules from the PHB

I'm playing a Revised Ranger and the Natural Explorer shit really helps me feel like I'm actually an experienced survival expert without ruining the experience of travelling overland. Maybe I'm just not exploiting it fully, and we don't really do much overland travel in our campaign, and when we do, we do it as part of larger groups anyway. The main thing my DM hates about Natural Explorer is the "ignore difficult terrain" part, since he loves putting it into combat and always forgets it just doesn't affect me, leaving me free to either run across it and fuck with his ranged monsters up close or run away through it and fuck with his melee monsters from far away.

The most "broken" ability I think is the Primeval Awareness - I only like using it for if I'm actively tracking a target but lost it briefly and not every other minute, but once my party found out I could do it and it only takes a minute, they're constantly like "use your dragon sense bro", but I just know how annoying that would be as a DM.

they are barely complicated

In 5e, no; they speak both infernal and abyssal along with having telepathy. Previous editions, they spoke Yugoloth.

>they are barely complicated
Maybe for the player, but it's more work for the DM

You have to consider the RP implications of playing a monstrous race. Most likely your DM doesn't want to have to deal with the complication of one of the players being attacked just for entering a town because of the race they're playing. Trust your DM, and don't make his job harder than it already is.

>Trying to find a game on Roll 20 all week
>Apply to 5 games each day
>Yesterday finally get accepted into one!
>Game is for after work today so hyping myself up all day.
>Get home.
>Log in.
>I have been removed from the players list for that game.

Why is it so hard to find games.

How would you fix Primeval Awareness? Maybe it only gives a general sense of direction and number, instead of specifics?

>compete with unarmored
you do realize that heavy armor already easily competes for unarmored defense, right? your monk can't wear +3 plate so it doesn't matter if he has 20 AC naked. you do know barbarian is too focused on pumping its STR to get its naked AC any higher than a 16 until its third ASI, assuming it doesn't grab GWM or PAM?

if you want to make mundane +2 plate be an option because you're playing a low/no magic campaign, whatever, you're not breaking anything. but mundane armor doesn't get entirely outshadowed by natural armor purely because it has limitations and ability score requirements to bring it up to par with normal armor.

the only issue 5e really has in terms of PC armor is that medium armor is only a good option for those who aren't dexterous enough for light armor but don't have the strength to wear heavy armor.

nice b8 m8, ranger is just a worse fighter that just gets spells and not even particularly great ones. revised ranger is still a worse fighter, but only after level 10

Anyone here played in a West Marches type game? I recently joined a discord community running a game like that and it's being fun.

bracers of defense are a thing

I have had similar experiences. I think DMs are just flaky as fuck in general.

I'd just make it so you can only do it WIS modifier number of times per long rest. That way you only do it when it's necessary or useful, rather than every other minute.

How do I deal with a new player who is exploring the game in a really good, organic way but keeps being stopped by the rules unless I bend them which then kinda breaks action economy among other things.

For example he was being attacked by a banderhobb, I described it swallowing him, he asked if he could raise his sword up so it would slit his throat as it went down. I let him have a free opportunity attack as a reaction even though by raw he wouldn't have got one.

Another example, if I describe a monster attacking and hitting him he asks if he can dodge out the way, which is obviously included in the attack already. Which I explain but it feels kinda hollow. Dungeon World's 'defy danger' move allows this and I can see why it's so popular.

I feel limited by 5E in this respect, the players attempts to interact organically with the world as it happens to him are met by the strict nature of the rules and action economy.

Any good way to balance this? I'd hate for a new guy to end up just basic attacking and passing his turn but I can't really re-write the rules either

How would you fix Primeval Awareness? Maybe it only gives a general sense of direction and number, instead of specifics?

As for the other features, like advantage on initiative, no penalty for difficult terrain, etc. How do you feel about them being always on?

>am GM
>have flaked before

GMing through roll20 can be a complete disaster to be fair

armor in my game is composed of one or two armors per category and three components. Depending on how you mix those three components and the core armor for the category, you get from the minimum score obtainable to the highest within the category.

So, we have helmet, arm armor and leg armor in addition to the core part that is essentially the torso armor. Which penalties would you associate with which parts? The core book has stealth disadvantage, speed penalty and str score dependency in addition to don time, which is covered by the amount of components. I was thinking of:

Helmet: perception disadvantage. It's actually consistent with book art, only low wis and non perception classes have helmets.
Arm armor: does not stack with shield, meaning you use it mostly for two handed weapons.
Leg armor: unknown, possibly stealth disadvantage.
Core part: decides encumberance if any.

You know relying on the DM to hand out a specific magic item is silly right?

If magic armor is on the table then so are bracers of defense.

Play Dungeon World then

For what benefit?

True I missed that in the other post, apologies.

>he says, while the original argument is that magic armor keeps up with class features just fine.

Those always on features I like, because it really helps you feel like your Ranger is always prepared and constantly alert. But it is a bit much for level 1. UA shit is always front-loaded so I'd just move some features back and it'd feel less overpowered.

Specifically, the advantage on initiative combined with advantage on enemies who haven't acted is actually not too OP on the Ranger, as the class kind of lacks nova ability and is more a consistent damager all day. It just makes you feel like a badass who gets a pseudo-surprise round because your senses are so damn good.

setting aesthetic and because my players asked for this autism.

I'm working on autistic aging rules now thanks to them. Fuck their 2.5 to 3.5 fueled rules OCD.

Then why not play an edition that caters more to that?

If it's a player request then I can understand though I think there's no benefit to it.
My players asked for critical fumbles but I refused because they are stupid and too annoying to do.

How do you get into games when 500 other people also try to get into the same game?

I'm keeping a skeleton animated as a servant/bodyguard as a wizard in a party with a cleric and a paladin. How can I best conceal the nature of the skeleton to avoid death by smite? The cleric is already in the know, but his teachings don't hold any strong opinions on undead like this so he's given his word to keep it under wraps unless directly asked by the paladin.

The paladin is Oath of Conquest, but I can't remember which deity he has allied with.

Things like Nystul's Magic Aura have already come to mind but I'm looking for options that won't eat all of my spell slots.

To me, DM prepping is a labor of love, and it only really pays off when the players have some basic chemistry with each other (and you).

Randos on roll20 are not the most lovable, and establishing rapport over shitty voice chat is nearly impossible in the short term.

I've given up on trying to play anything but in-person games. I could easily online DM straight dungeon crawls with little story, etc. but when I consider how likely it is for there to be whinging, drama, or players to come and go without warning it makes that not even worth the minimal effort.

Have a better resume than others

That second example sounds like uncanny dodge would be a good fit. Taking 5 levels of rogue is asking a whole lot though.

In the first case I would have just said something like "you try to lash out at the banderhobb as it swallows you, but you aren't quite quick enough and are caught before you can do anything." A new player might not think it's fun, but I think it's a far better scenario than randomly handing out bonuses midfight. A player with experience would understand why the limitations on your actions are part of the fun.

>In tavern
>playing grapple barbarian
>order ale
>bartender says it's time to pay
>refuse because she's a woman and I kinda want to start a bar fight
>She attacks me and does 3/4 of my HP in one hit
>I'm level 7
>This is a random town in the middle of nowhere
>lol she's actually a retired adventurer who is really powerful haha

What are some cliches you guys hate?

I think it streamlines NPC armor somewhat, since all armors other than shields and lone helmets are now hard numbers, i can just go "AC16? Fuck it, plate jacket and arm armor" and i don't have to factor dex into ac calculations.

How do you get a better resume when its dependent on games that you cant get into? Shit, its bad enough I have to deal with this shit in my real resume.

Your character just really has a thing for attacking random women he thinks are helpless?
The DM might have just made it up on the spot to disincentivize your shitty playing.

Make more appealing characters, ensure you make it clear you're up for working with the DM to make it fit their setting etc.

Have you considered not starting fights with randomers in a world where adventurers exist?

At best, you can try and appeal to his Oath's call for control over others by trying to convince him that there is no greater control than that of a master over a simple undead servant. A being that cannot hope, cannot dissent, and cannot challenge your control.

That's not a cliche, you stupid hobo fuck
That's your DM telling you, tactfully, to knock that shit off

Just rolled up a random PC race
>Dragonborn
Then rolled her stats
>16/15/7/14/17/17

Thinking of making her a sickly noble's daughter who was sent to the temple of Null (Draconic god of Death) so that she could become a grave domain acolyte and use healing and restoration magic to keep herself alive.

What do you guys think? Where should I go for her bonds/traits/flaws/etc? Why does she go adventuring?

nice job reading when I said
>mundane armor doesn't get entirely outshadowed by natural armor purely because it has limitations and ability score requirements to bring it up to par with normal armor.

you need to invest into 15 STR to get 18 AC compared to the 20 DEX and WIS it takes to get 20 AC. not to mention monks can't use shields, unlike fighters. barbarian even has it worse considering they prioritize STR over CON or DEX (inb4dexteritybarbarian) and thus will likely stay at 15-16 AC for the majority of the game compared to the fighter who has been rocking the same AC or higher since then.

mundane armor isn't underpowered. natural armor isn't overpowered. there isn't a "numbers" issue when comparing natural armor to mundane armor. you're just a tard with bad reading.

Bend the rules slightly when the ruling makes sense. When it doesn't work game-wise, adjust your narrative to fit what the player is giving you.

For example, your banderhobb example seems fine, I might have maybe had him roll with disadvantage but otherwise it's all good.

For the dodging example, a useful exchange (assuming you and the player don't mind wordy narrative combat) would be something like:
"the troll stomps up to you, using its momentum to swing its greatclub up and over..."
"I try to roll and dodge out of the way!"
(rolls regular attack roll) "the troll uses its great strength to redirect the club mid-air, and hits you with a walloping blow. You take 12 damage."

If it's more like "[...] it hits you" "But I wanted to dodge it!" then that's your cue to explain the Dodge action option baked into the rules.

My character is very primitive and doesn't respect women, DM knew this before hand as it came up when we were talking to a noble lady NPC. Yet he just happen to have a very powerful bartender that was a girl. He was asspulling.

Or it was done specifically because you don't respect women, that thought ever cross your mind?

>playing a dragonborn

eww gross

fucking change it to Elf you scum

Who wants to play a game where after every successful attack the players can interject to nullify/weaken it like it's cowboys and indians or some shit?

Terrible advice, never reward this sort of thing.

Alright, so I'm going to be running CoS starting next week and I'm looking for some music. I have songs lined up for everything except the big man himself. I think I have something spooky and ominous for when he's normal Strahd but I'm looking for something more powerful/violent/unhinged when he becomes flustered. Any suggestions?

>changing your argument when it becomes null
Noice.

Yeah he's playing a fighter, taking 5 levels of rogue seems a bit much for something that really should be a bit more organic.

Likewise it seems unfortunate to ruin player creativity by just saying no to fun stuff. I tend to throw in as much variance in combat as possible otherwise it's basically just basic attack until everything dies , for martials at least.

Thats what you get for being a shit and not paying for your drinks. Start a fight with one of the drunks next time. You got to be a special kind of dumbass to pick fights with people who serve you food and drink.

That's a great idea, thanks.

>changing argument
nice reading comprehension. go back and read the original post

Nothing was weakened in the example given, retard

If you read my post carefully you'll see that I didn't imply that at all.

Maybe he did it because it's an opportunity for your character to grow from being a fuckin caveman?

>Me think women weak
>get ass kicked by woman
>Okay, me think not ALL women weak
>Just the frilly ones

It's a waste of time.

>pointy ears

I think an almost identical criticism applies to you saying the banderhobb thing was okay anyway.

Was he asspulling? Yes.
Are you a piece of shit that deserved it? Also yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=AA883-ajdWY

youtube.com/watch?v=8BGUcjPitJ8&t

youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-WJUidpRU

>admiting you didn't read the post
guess you don't have an argument then

Anything from Bloodborne would do it.

You might want to take a look at this "mighty deeds" class feature rule for the warriors in Dungeon Crawl Classic (a game based on old-school D&D). For reference, the deed die mentioned starts as a d4 and progresses to a d10+bonuses at very high levels.