Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Missed opportunities edition.

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aliden isn't necessarily dead. He's just not in the game post-Cataclysm, which could mean he is dead or could mean Blizzard is reserving him for plot. So, I'm taking it as "consider Aliden Perenolde to be dead until we inevitably bring him back for some reason."

>Ahhhhhh! The chiropractor in Orgrimmar has done wonders for my back.

Mag'har confirmed for Horde. Not Alliance.

>Actually believing for a second blizzard would have given Alliance any semblance of a horde race. ESPECIALLY orcs.
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, user, but you've been memed on.

Can Horde characters travel to Kul Tiras?

Stop worshipin' ya windchimes and get wit' da times. Dere's a new god of light in town.

My female Troll's accent sounds more British Hong Kong than Jamaican.

The accents not the point. The point is that Light wielding Bling-Rexadins are in.

Once you hit max level, there will apparently be quests in the other faction's zones. Though obviously not the same quests.

And that rex gets rekt in a dungeon.

Will you be able to drop into opposing faction raids as mini-bosses?

Only his body. His soul yet lives on, in the hearts of all true T-Rexadins.

Where do I find lore that stops after Burning Crusade and Wrath?

Don't want Cataclysm to mess up my game and lore.

That would actually be great, though. Imagine if "counter-raid" was a semi-actual encounter, with a dungeon journal entry and everything.

They could probably pull something off with that Island AI stuff, assuming it's actually good. Imagine a dungeon/raid that's a race between Alliance and Horde to smash n' grab some ancient magical gobbledygook.

It'd need to be NPCs, but still.

The thiccfags will absolutely not shut up about Tirasian women, that I can confirm. You will not be able to play one for more than one hour without a passerby whispering 'thicc' to you. There will be swarms of Tirasian ERP alts at Moonguard Goldshire, complete with elaborate descriptions in their roleplaying mods that boast about how thicc they are. The most five post frequently posted words in World of Warcraft will be 'and,' 'of,' 'the,' 'is' and 'thicc,' not necessarily in that order.

seems like a work of thicction

With Battle for Azeroth, all holy paladins will cast their spells by pulling them from a magic book of light.

They're not thicc though, they're obese. Their rolls have rolls.

>And no, we do not have any openings

Is this Blizzard saying "yeah, Zanda pallys exist, but we're not letting you play one lol"?

That won't stop the thiccfags.

That explains why the Holy Artifact has that book strapped to it then. That actually sounds pretty cool

Considering what happens to Rezan and Zandalar as the story progresses, maybe they actually do have openings by the time you unlock the Zandalar as playable.

My guess is they don't want to give trolls literally every class in the game that's not the elvish DH

From a purely power gaming perspective, is a Void Elf a good choice for a caster? I heard their racial abilities are quite good.

Well I don't think Zandalari can be monks or DKs, so they wouldn't have EVERY class.

Yeah, but Trolls as a whole could have every class besides Demon Hunters. You could make a Troll-only Guild, the .

What are the appeal of Trolls?

By that logic the same can be said for elves on alliance

>stoner culture and humor 420 erryday
>playing one of the less popular races for contrarian reasons
>tusky animal forms as a druid
>afro-carribbean caricatures are funny
>loa are some cool shit
>i have a thing for ugly fucking hands and feet

choose one or more

No elf can be a shaman, period. Besides the comparison race for trolls on the alliance are the dwarves, who can already be any class in the game minus Demon Hunter and Druid, which is likely why Wildhammer either aren't going to be added, or won't be able to be Druids.

>Dinosaurs
>Ancient civilization
>Shadow Hunters
>Fought off the bugs
>Dinosaurs
>Tusks
>Gods with a lot of personality
>Dinosaurs

My next question would be why do so many people end up just playing fantasy humans.

For some reason Warcraft lore threads always seem to turn into Troll lore threads without fail. I wonder why that is. For a kind of unpopular race, not a lot of other ones get as much discussion.

Dinosaurs and great big bloody hats

Because non-fantasy-human races are ugly. Humans and elves actually look like things someone would want to bang without having one fetish or another, which makes them easier to self-insert into.

You're forgetting voodoo being bar none the coolest magic aesthetic
youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw

Psuedo Voodoo is pretty cool even if they don't get it right.
Trolls are notably one of the best savage races in setting. They're not constantly fucking up other people's shit and then claiming "We reformed for honor, honest" and the like, while also not being as boring as Tauren.

Then there's most of Trolls are a palette cleanser here. We could be having a five way fued between Sylvanasfags and anti-banshees while the Paladins and Death Knights are punching each other in the face and calling it banter while the illidan-fags are insisting Outland was justified while arguing whether orcs actually do need to be genocided...and troll discussion will calm all of that shit down almost instantly.

So, Zandalari get some swanky totems.

Zandalari seem great, it's all going to go horribly wrong

They couldn't have made her breasts larger? I can already see the half-Vrykul/Vrykul RPers salivating.

People see the potential in them. They're unpopular because that potential is typically left unrealized. Oh, and because Troll fans tend to be lore fans, probably, and Elves were invented by a wicked Troll Witch Doctor called Ya'kub.

Not muscled enough or mean enough to look proper Vrykul. Too soft.

Trolls have a lot of lore by sheer number of Troll raids/dungeons, and they don't carry a lot of the rvb baggage Forsaken/Orcs/Night Elves/Humans do.

So it's easy enough to have long discussions on them that don't devolve into shitposting.

Agreed, however, you know that that will not stop them. The fact will be ignored or rationalized in their backstories.

I almost exclusively play humans because it makes the fantasy parts of the game cooler by comparison.

So I tried to prove you wrong by finding some suitable heavy armor but instead, I created something awful.

>and they don't carry a lot of the rvb baggage
We can fix that.
>None o' dis land is yours, Trollbane. De Horde takes what it wants.
I wish they at least made this model impressive. Right now it's just a fat chick. The man is at least a behemoth made of 200% pure muscle.

Are you using the dress up tool?

they gave the Horde Blood Elves but all the leaders are Leaning Alliance or Blood Elfs only supremacist.

Horde armor looks like questing shit you got in WOTLK.

Alliance armor looks like its using new 3d models and latest texture resolutions and shading

Feels awesome man plus all that medieval armor we are getting in Kul Tiras.

Horde Warfront armor does look kind of lame.

But we're getting awesome Golden Troll armor from questing instead, so I'm fine.

Shoulders are way to tall. Makes him locked hunched over like an orc.

For those of you worried about Rogers as Stromgarde commander instead of Danath, don't worry. He's here now.

Does anyone else think the Garona from the WoW movie is the best version?

Meh, she was okay. I've never been a huge fan of Garona.

Despite being a Horde player, I'll admit I loved Lothar in it. That Vikings guy has a lot of charisma.

I wish my boy Grom was in it more. Hopefully he and Orgrim get more screen time in the next one.

I'm reading Chronicles Volume 2 does anyone feel that the stuff about Draenor is kinda boring??its like someone watched transformers and put it into WoW.

Like most origin stories fleshed out after the fact, the exact details of Draenor were never something we needed to be told.

>Orcs lived in relative peace
>Until they didn't

All we need to know. In my opinion, Mannoroth's death was the last real loose end. The remaining details were far more interesting when you simply put the pieces together while visiting Outland.

Ulduar was the last time Titan lore was at all interesting. Ever since then it's ruined everything it touches.

I liked the Ogre and Arakkoa lore.

The rest I could take or leave.

I wonder what the relationship would have been like between the Broken/Lost One's and the Defected Eredar in Illidan's forces on Outland.

Arrakoa lore was pretty cool. I was never a fan before and I dreaded that zone. But it wound up being the best part.

Ironically my most hated zone was the one I was looking forward to the most: Gorgrond. I hope whoever coined the term "orc fatigue" got fired.

They should never have done WoD at all, but if they HAD to they should have stuck to their guns.

>"orc fatigue"
It's a real thing. The thing is, they were making an Orc centered expansion. As bad as the Orc fatigue was, completely gutting the story is worse.

WHY did they give up.

I feel like one of the few people who actually likes the Breaker/Primal stuff.

I heard the Artist were told that the Final Raid of WoD was gonna be another Orc Themed raid and they got pissed off since they did orc shit for like 3 expansions straight and they talked to higher ups and they had a meeting and changed the Final raid to a demon themed thing.

SoO is the only orc-themed raid prior to WoD though.

Ssh, let them believe that BC was a Horde-centric expansion and WotLK was a Horde-centric expansion and Cataclysm was a Horde-centric expansion and that MoP was a Horde-centric expansion and that WoD was a Horde-centric expansion.

Not just the raid, but they had to redesign basically everything to be more "orc" for cataclysm, Orgrimmar included. Then they had to make orc looking stuff for Siege and most of the horde stuff in Pandaria, I think. Then they were going to have to make TWO versions of orc stuff for WoD since they had to make orcy Horde stuff and even orcy-er Iron Horde shit.

I think the Breaker/Primal stuff was cool in Chronicle but dumb in WoD itself.

Except no one said that. They were just sick of making orc shit. Every time the Horde needed something it was "red and spikes and black metal!" For three expansions straight
It got old for the players, so I can't imagine how sick of it the art staff was.

I really agree. In Vanilla-Wrath all of the Titan lore was cool because it was mysterious and it felt like you were uncovering these hidden truths from a long-dead forerunner race. The Earthen and Stormforged were cool, and it was neat discovering that these war-like giants were the ancestors of humans.

Then they got carried away and explained way too much and the answer to every mystery was "A Titan did it lol"

I dislike how benevolent they made the Titans.

In Wrath it looked like the Titans saw us as insignificant gnats that they could "reoriginate" with out losing sleep.

Part of what made Algalon so cool was the fact he was basically a computer program running on it's own. You have no idea where he really came from, who sent him, or if they care what he does or are even around anymore. It made Azeroth feel a little more insignificant, which is pretty interesting and adds a lot more mystery to the greater universe.

Legion absolutely destroyed all of that and it makes Algalon feel quaint and pointless. What a waste.

It's like how the players are all the Champion nowadays. I've always held that WoW has lost all sense of scale.

Why are the Footmen left handed in WC3?

I'm still waiting for the inevitable expansion where they decide to make you the warchief/high king

to be fair, why wouldn't they be benevolent? As fair as we're aware they fought really hard to save azeroth from the old goddies, I guess you could argue they're all hardasses and would go all "muh curse of flesh" on us though. Also, we just saved their asses from roasting over Sargeras' mindbreak fire.

Algalon being a programmed construct who simply senses old god contagion then sends the nuclear codes isn't particularly contradictory, as it seems he was pretty dedicated to his job and possibly had limited ability to think beyond his parameters unless he got the shit kicked out of him.

I would agree it makes the titans less cool in general though, but isn't that the case for most reveals of something like that? WoW is going to have to flip over every couch cushion looking for change to work with at this point.

imo the issue is classic felt a lot better because blizzard's been better at microstories, which a random adventurer fits in to a lot better. Now that we're great heroes fighting cosmic wars, and their writing for these huge stories is inconsistent at best, it makes it feel a lot worse at the end of the day

WoW's story has gone nuts. Gameplay wise, everything turned into a single player RPG with you as the main character. But that's only the case until you reach the cutscenes, where it suddenly shifts focus to this retarded comic book story featuring a gallery of boring faction leader NPCs whose only contribution to the game so far has been skub wars. It's ridiculous.

I blame Tirion.

Would Blizz put the Vrykul on the Horde side because they don't like humans?

Less that they aren't benevolent in a cosmic sort of way, but in that they're so huge and powerful and ancient they don't give a shit about individual mortals.

Vrykul hate everyone, and are too blinded by pride to see the benefits of aligning with either faction. Making the playable at all contradicts their racial personality.

They're also boring as dirt. Just big humans with a flair of hinga dinga durga.

What happened to Demon Hunters being able to Mana Burn?

I'm pretty sure they can take an honor talent for it

>to be fair, why wouldn't they be benevolent?

Making them benevolent means giving them more active in the story. Which is my real issue. Titans should have remained seldom heard of but never seen.

Old Gods were also ruined in much the same way. C'thun was so weird and interesting because you had no idea it was there. It was just a sudden revelation suggesting this universe was bigger and scarier than we could have thought.

Buy now, whenever someone does something bad it's typically "an Old God did it", and it's all part of this retarded Forever War which everyone now knows for a fact is the driving force behind everything.

I've accepted the Void Lord minion origin for OGs now. But I remember my favorite interpretation was from a strange fanfiction I read. Where the Old Gods were basically the first organic lifeforms naturally occurring on Azeroth and slowly built themselves up in the Elemental Chaos before they managed to take control.

That fanfic also shipped Yog and Eonar for some reason but eh it was a cool origin to me.

They're life and death.

What are the best interracial pairings?
>Male Night Elf X Female Orc
Female night elves are already Amazonian, female orcs take it to a rougher level
>Male Human X Female Blood Elf
Your standard fantasy interracial couple

Can't think of many others

You are now King Terenas at the end of the Second War.

What do you do with the Orcs?

Kill myself to avoid causing shitty bait derails.

Human Orc hybrid super soldier race that is strong and trained in magic.

>King Terenas forces a young Arthas to marry an orcess
Damn.

Med'an?

>Me'dan's father is Arthas instead of Medivh

wtf is this SHITE taste mate

>male troll x blood elf
>male orc x female night elf
>male worgen x female draenei

It's similar to superhero stories, the smaller the scale the better the story.

In fact it's painfully similar.

Zandalar and Kul Tiras both look leagues better than the faction shit. Just like Pandaria did.

Form them into penal regiments for the depleted armies of Lordaeron. Use them to hunt down the Warsong and Blackrock stragglers in the wilderness (obviously under human supervision). Any that prove particularly penitent can be handed over to the Silver Hand to be used at their discretion. If we somehow get Orc Paladins mounted on Light-infused wolves out of this, that's just a bonus. Force any Ogre Mages and Death Knights captured to reveal their secrets, and create an internal police to safeguard against anyone who might use their foul dark magics for personal gain - alternatively, send the notes to the Silver Hand for perusal and information.

All copies of the notes also go to Dalaran, and install Silver Hand agents there to watch for signs of dark magic. Hope the Kirin Tor appreciate the extra help. Use the penal legions and their supervisors to destroy or subjugate the remaining forest trolls outside Zul'aman. The tiny pockets they maintain within Lordaeron must be cleansed. Request the assistance of the Wildhammer dwarves for this effort. Use the secrets learned from the captured Ogre Magi to help Quel'thalas repair its boundary stones. This way, the elves will owe us again.

Send my son with a Silver Hand detachment and a couple of penal regiments to help Stormwind recover its lands from the lingering Stormreaver force, make sure any Gurubashi intruders also perish. These penal regiments may include forest trolls and bound Ogre Magi as well. Get Dalaran and Silver Hand help in removing that curse that recently befell the Brightwood. Grand Hamlet needs to start up again.

(cont.)

>Implying Garona would be married
>Implying it's not Doomhammers newly retconned in daughter who marries Arthas and has his son to bring peace between Orcs and Humans
>There may be War in Warcraft, but the humans and Orcs are crafting up some hybrids.

Listen to the crazy wizard who should be dead when he shows up, but tell him I have made preparations for just such an event, because I am more than prepared now. If everything has gone as planned, my son is still in Stormwind with his childhood friend killing or capturing straggling Orc and Troll bands, that necromancer who wanted to start a communist death cult is dead-dead, the Amani are readying themselves to die as a combined force of penal orc regiments, my own troops, the elves, and the Wildhammer descend on Zul'aman, and Genn hasn't built his dumb wall.