Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Critical Role
geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

>Raven Queen in Dungeons and Dragons
youtu.be/gXWgG83jyaI

>Previously, on /5eg/:
In what way did Critical Role influence your games?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1UN2Wm1aO0kVVMfzQITJr5r4nCO8nL-D2nekqpWIJPRk/edit
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Child murder does nott come up in my campaigns.

>In what way did Critical Role influence your games?

Most of my players watched/listened to it profusely and try to create an attitude similar to the show. I never cared watched the series but if they're having fun I don't see much harm. However, there are a lot of in-jokes that I don't get.

Critical role has done nothing but negatively effect the DnD community, I hate it and my players want me to give them a "Matt Mercer" game despite me thinking he is a edgy faggot. I have turned them down 5 or 6 times now.

If you start any more threads about CR or Matt Mercer you should be flogged.

I liked the way mercer DMs, with big banter and almost too much explanation and flavor, and it's allowed me to find actually pretty players who saw how easy it was to play with CR cast doing it, and (luckily most, in my experience) newbies in particular are into the whole narrative aspect of it, and can stay very on the rails.
Mercers homebrew stuff has also affected my players to want to play that instead of something much worse, like a DanDwiki class or something.
I'm actually watching the new campaign while playing FFXV and drinking hot chocolate while chatting with friends about prepping characters for death house, Right Now. 300%
comfy friendship adventures

Never watched one honestly, some of new players did say they know D&D from this thing. That explain their constant request for gun.
On the other hand they RP-ing a lot, so strangely the opposite of ex AL players.

>Critical role has done nothing but negatively effect the DnD community

In what ways? That show and Stranger Things have helped bring in tons of new people to the hobby. Granted there are some negative aspects, but it can't be wholly bad.

In before someone posts this old meme in response to "helped bring in tons of new people".

I'm out of the loop. What does Stranger Things have to do with anything?

It has alot of references to DnD written by writers who don't actually understand DnD. The main characters all play it as well.

The kids in Stranger Things all played DnD. They compared a lot of the supernatural shit to it. The Upside Down is the Shadowvale or whatever, the monster is the Demagorgon, the big monster is the Mind Flayer, etc. The name "Upside Down" comes from the girl using the underside of the game board as a metaphor. Although personally I thought "the Upside Down place" would have been a more natural sounding name for it.

If you want to only play by your definition of DnD then make it clear.
The general public that want to play will want to play it in the most commonly seen versions.
If your table starts to turn out how you didn't want it to, you have several options:
>Make a new table with clear guidelines on what you expect of players
>Shut up and play with the newbies
>Take your dice and go home, never play again because every game doesn't live up to your standards of DnD
>Go to a different system altogether and accept you'll never play your old game ever again

My party found spell book containing this

1 - Chromatic Orb, Burning Hands, Shield, Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Find Familiar
2- Dragon's Breath, Flaming Sphere, Blindness/Deafness, Levitate, Nystul's Magic Aura, Suggestion
3 - Fireball, Flame Arrows, Fly, Life Transfrence, Summon Lesser Demons
4 - Banishment, Elemental Bane, Leomund's Secret Chest, Sickening Radiance, Summon Greater Demon, Wall of Fire.

Since none of them is a wizard, they plan to sell it to an actual wizard. How much do you think this spellbook should cost?

A lot.

Help me construct a moral code for a lawful neutral land druid. Please

Wait. Why is Chromatic Orb on a book?
It's a sorcerer spell.
They don't write those down except for in scrolls.

Thanks, you're a great help.

A wizard could have transferred it from the scroll to his own spellbook.

>Killing nature is fine if it's for needs.
>Nature and civilisation should be separated most of the time.
NEEEEXT

Chromatic Orb is also a wizard spell.

My bad, I had chaos bolt on the brain.

We can do better than that user, we can be so much more.
We could be a bit like that monk in avatar that wants to tear all the law systems down to separate nature from civilization and that the only natural way to go by is to let nature run loose and take what it wants.

You're welcome.

>Critical Role.
Way to many 5e discussions reference Critical Role and just assume that everyone has watched every episode and randomly reference said episodes in discussions for no reason *cough* Redditors *cough*. The references are always "Yeah but remember what Marsha did in the episode with the mountain troll, don't be like her" like it's totally normal to assume every 5e player has watched all 10,000 hours of the show and somehow you're the weird one for not watching it.

>somehow you're the weird one for not watching it.
My friends are like that
We do a 6 hour session every weekend of the main campaign, and then like 4 hours of another player dming, and then they'll go home and watch Critical Role and talk about it the next weekend

I feel weird on here for not even knowing anything about beyond it's a show about DnD.

My players have learned that it would be awesome to have a professional voice actor as a GM, but they'll just have to settle for me instead.

>when your dm gives everyone a starting feat

>When your DM is dissastifsied with variant humans, so he homebrews his own humans
docs.google.com/document/d/1UN2Wm1aO0kVVMfzQITJr5r4nCO8nL-D2nekqpWIJPRk/edit

>When your DM bans feats because they're a "variant rule" and "munchkin".

>in russian
Come on, man.

Only fluff is in russian, user.

Jesus christ, people like that actually exist?

>when you allow feats but none of your players takes them because they got burned by "trap options" in PF too many times
One of my players unironically wants to play a Champion with no feats.

>bad show that references DnD and has characters playing it
Stranger Things
>good show that references DnD and has characters playing it
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

One of our Group’s regular DMs likes CR a lot and tries to emulate and take inspiration from parts of what Mercer does. Like the whole “how do you want to do this” thing, giving the PC group an official group title, rping NPCs in certain ways, and a few others. He’s a great DM and we have lots of fun so it’s working out I’d say
But maaaaan I don’t care about Blood Hunters. Hopefully someone lets you play one some day, buddy.

Yes, because "All anyone takes is PAM, GWM, and Crossbow Expertise".

> During a short or long rest your character may sing a song about Heroes of Spiderwoods, Heroes of Palanthas and other few, who faced themselves against terrible odds and prevailed, winning themselves glory and riches.
>Heroes of Spiderwoods
Huh.

t. Joss Whedon

I know. And I can read it. 30% of tg can. I'm thinking about the other 70%

>3/4 taken in current party
I mean that is a point.
Still, that's just my current group

>ban a major part of character building because people pick the best options
Does this gm also ban Warlocks because they keep taking agonizing blast

> When the munchkin in your group is the first to die
> When the munchkin in your group rolls for hp and ends up with 24hp at level 7

This is why I ban ASIs as well, all people do is put points into their primary attributes. Fucking powergamers.

The better comparison would be a DM banning Eldritch Invocations.

2d6 down the line peasant game, no class levels, no level-ups ever.

Average person in 5th edition has 10 in all stats.

Strangely, in my table the most taken feat is resilient and if Paladin also shield master. Doing huge damage is situational at best.

Actually the 2d6 is subtracted from your attributes +0 to every stat is blatant powergaming.

Gentleman Denion#5848
Russian speakers that want to play, add me on discord. Pls send me your character sheet and a bit about the character you want to play, I'll see if we can make it work.

I saw that, well done.

Well, a score of 0 in a stat kills you and we're looking at a possible subtraction of 12 from a score of 10.

So is this like FATAL where the best outcome you can hope for is to die during character-creation so you don't have to play the game?

I went from nothing to 15 players with 4+ willing DMs and decent players all. Hadn't seen an episode, but half the guys who started the group are addicted and want to branch out into other stuff as well. I cannot hate on it, it is a godsend.

That's me

This isn't my main thing anymore because I made a separate racemixing guide, where humans can take basically almost any one trait from other races.

>I made a separate racemixing guide
>Racemixing guide

t. that guy

Are you saying you wouldn't make a Tiefling-Halfling or an Elf-Genasi?

Races other than humans DO shag.

>Races other than humans DO shag.
Not by RAW.

But do they reproduce?

Pretty sure Halflings reproduce in the same way potatoes do

wait so you cut a halfling in half, bury him and then a halfling plant grows with halfling babies underground?

Lewd! This is a blue board!

Wait, why am I that guy?

You split XP right? How many goblins does a party of four level 1s have to kill to level up?

All of them, because I use milestones.

Pretty much
And they start budding halflinglings if you keep them in the pantry too long

AND THEY RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP

>When the goblin race is extinct, then you have my permission to be level 2

I'm just thinking of a way I can let my party kill 24 goblins in less than six seconds without actually fighting them.
Boulder, fire or pitfall?

( 300 × 4 ) ÷ 50 = 24
Elementary school mathematics, user.

it's 5e, it doesn't matter.

Don't treat tabletop like a video game. XP grinding exploits don't exist in D&D.

I'm pretty sure that's not how potato's reproduce

trapping the goblins in a house that's been filled with flammable oil?

How do you handle called shots at your table?

WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE

Okay new plan fight six goblins and then kill an Ettin somehow
that should level them all up to 2

I'm not a munchkin I just know the system too well.

-5 to hit, but if it does it creates an effect. Called shots to the legs reduce movement speed or knock them prone, called shots to the arms make them drop what they're wielding, etc.

Well are you a fucking botanist?
I'll have you know that neither am I...

no but I've seen many potato's holding hands and so far they have not reproduced
work in tard care

>My gm asked the developers if a find steed mount counts a controlled mount during fighting or as independed creature
>They tweeted as answer a warhorse summoned by the Paladin spell can't fight
The fuck?

If it makes you feel better, the devs also said that you couldn’t twin dragon’s breath for a reason that makes almost all buff spells that deal damage untwinable.

"Your steed serves you as a mount, both in combat and out"
straight from spell description

Psh, I'm gonna use Tenser's Transformation on my Pegasus, Travis, and myself and my dm will like it.
Bards get to have the most fun.

Ehh, I can get behind that one. What's the inherent difference between that and cone of cold or burning hands other than being repeatable? The spell is 100% targeting other creatures.
Hell, otherwise you couldn't apply dragon sorcerer bonus to it, since it would not be damage from a spell.

I work in tard care and have known a few that had kids. I'd bet some of your people have had abortions or close calls that you just don't know about. Abuse is everywhere, and they will get into it with each other, too.

I read an incident report at my old job where a 70+ year old very grandmotherly woman was banging a black dude half her age in the bathroom. Both disabled. Good for her I guess.

But that’s not the problem, the additional breath attack isn’t the spell’s effect, giving it is. He still insists haste is a valid target despite it doing the exact same fucking thing.

Except it literally isn't. You are arguing that the effects of any ongoing spell don't come from the spell.

You know, I've never seen this supposed lifecycle of a hobby actually play out.

Except by this logic you can’t twin haste, because of the extra attack it gives its targets, you can’t twin any debuff that could be used to cause a creature to attack another creature or give any creature advantage or disadvantage.

it doesnt fight whilst you mount it.
it can fight whilst unmounted, where it has it's own turn.

if your mounted on it it's actions and turn is part of yours, you use it's movement to move and because your not using your movement you never provoke AoO, so long as your steed is using it's action to disengage neither does it, whilst mounted it can use it's action to Disengage/Dodge/Dash

Nah, that's you trying to justify your position, nothing more.
Haste makes a guy faster, which lets him so things. It only targets them, making them better.
Dragon's Breath lets you deal damage via the spell as an action, which targets other creatures.
Similarly, spells like Crown of Stars and Cone of Cold target other creatures. Delayed Blast Fireball targets creatures too, despite the ability to just put it down, can't twin it either.

It's made me dissatisfied with my current group.
My group is mostly from a board game background, they hardly roleplay and just want to "Win the game" as it were. Watching Critical Role makes me want to play with a group who value the narrative, a group that is completely okay with 4 hours of character relations during one session. Most of my experience with D&D comes from Neverwinter Nights roleplaying PWs so long drawn out character interactions is the D&D I'm used to.

Independent mounts, which are intentionally vaguely described, can attack and move on their turns.

>I hate it and my players want me to give them a "Matt Mercer" game

This is probably their way of telling you they want a good game.

I mean, I'd say I've seen twenty-five minutes of CR at most, but it seems like the guy's just a good DM. There's nothing notable about his style save that he does voices well, it's just generally D&D done in a vanilla but proficient manner. If your players think there's something he has that you lack, you're likely just a bad DM.

>Purposefully trying to level the party up with an arbitrary encounter
>Not using milestones

This is literally why milestone exp system exists user. Just say they went out in between sessions and got a little better at hunting wild game and leveled up. Creating an arbitrarily easy encounter like "lol gobbos got burned in a house" is entirely unmeaningful and a waste of time. You've just railroaded them for at least 10 minutes just doing the setup.

I wonder why nobody in the Forgotten Realms set up a "goblin farm" yet. Have a bunch of goblins in the farm breed as much as they can, when their children - all but a few female ones to replace their ageing mothers - are old enough to give XP, gather those in a place where they can be killed easily (water-proof room to drawn them, something you can shoot down into from a secure spot, ...) and sell the right to murder them to whoever wants easy XP. I'm sure many a lord would love to be able to boost their troops like that. Or maybe even better kobolds, they are "adult" after 6 years in the farm instead of 8.

find steed is intelligent but the spell clearly tells you that it's under your control.

the whole intelligent mount thing is fucking retarded, hell they use a fucking Dragon of all things in the PHB as the example, most campaigns dont go beyond 10 never mind how often you get to ride a dragon into battle.