Post apoc fantasy

Are there good post apocalyptic fantasy settings aside from Dark Sun? Looking for some inspiration for world building

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rcnQ7Dlk_Ks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Endless Legend, kind of. The lore can be a bit tricky to find, though.

EL is more during a drawn-out apocalypse.

Nausicaa of the Valley of Winds (manga more than the movie), Shuna's Journey, Bastion.

I was thinking more about EL taking place after the Dust Wars and the downfall of the Endless and all that stuff.

A Canticle for Liebowitz isn't fantasy, but it is post-apoc with some neat world building.

wasn't the spellcasting system in OD&D based on Jack Vance's Dying Earth series.

Then there was Thundarr, the Barbarian cartoon.

Wall-E

Whatever you do, ignore Shannara. It's pretty garbage.

Ha, really forgot about it and Viriconium

Tribe 8 is my favorite. Mad Max meets Clan of the Cave Bear, but with Jung/Campbell based dream magic. And chaos gods that are actually legit scary.

The Dark Tower? It's more of a mix between fantasy, sci-fi and western too

Man, I can't believe I used to gobble up Shannara books when I was kid.

Degenesis is a good setting for what you're looking for.

The Witcher

this,degenesis is solid as a setting,don't know about how it plays though

Degenesis is not fantasy though, it's literally our world

with aliens,mutants,magic,monsters,new map and new civilizations

Earthdawn. If you can stomach the system, its pretty god damn awesome.

The fact that The Witcher features some fairly mild cataclysmic events at some point of it's history does not really make it post-apocalyptic.

Dark Sun.
Arguably, early Forgotten Realms.

>fantasy

>The Dark Tower?
Good pick.

If anyone wants to read the Dark Tower series be warned that after book 3 it hits a MASSIVE wall of shit. It's actually insane how hard the quality takes a hit. Also the ending is really meh.

But then Book 8, which is a prequel, turns around and is fantastic again.

Study the history of Lord of the Rings.

I liked Wolves of the Calla. It was pure insanity given page.

Tell me more about these chaos gods, why they're actually scary

Lotr.
For real.

I wish we lived in either the timeline where King's van was a little more on-point, or the timeline where it missed him altogether.

They're called the Z'bri and they're essentially ghosts/spirits that have been dead and detached from the physical world so long that when they managed to get into the physical world and possess actual bodies, they went fucking nuts. With their spirit magic, they started all kinds of hedonistic and crazy cults and when people actually realized they were a threat, they dropped all pretenses and just started rounding up people, which they essentially see as a resources in the same way we see plants and animals.

In the game, protagonists play one of the few remaining free societies. The rest of humanity is either neo-primitive, Mad Max style vault dwellers, or still the (often willing) slaves of the Z'bri.

The most powerful Z'bri in the region covered in the setting are roughly broken up into 4 houses based on the 4 humors. Koleris focus on the thrill of violence/pain/killing. Flemis are all about becoming one singular hivemind that knows no pain or suffering or anything. Melanis are about learning any and everything by any means necessary. Sanguis are your usual lust monsters.

The creepy part comes in that they realize that they can't go around killing/absorbing/dissecting/raping everything or else there'd be nothing left, even though it's what they really want to do. So instead they've created all these rules where they can engage in more limited forms of their favorite activity that manage to keep them from blowing their wads but are still pretty extreme and creepy.

And since they view people as resources, they raise them like animals, do body horror shit to modify their favorites into more appropriate pets, and use their bodies to build their furniture/homes/tools in Geiger-esque fashions.

In the game, just being around one forces your character to make a check or else they suffer some kind of penalty until they willingly perform some kind of fucked up action as dictated by the kind of Z'bri they face.

>The creepy part comes in that they realize that they can't go around killing/absorbing/dissecting/raping everything or else there'd be nothing left, even though it's what they really want to do. So instead they've created all these rules where they can engage in more limited forms of their favorite activity that manage to keep them from blowing their wads but are still pretty extreme and creepy.

This mostly comes across in their fluff, which does a good job of describing how they're always close to going mad from lack of sensation or really close to the boiling point without ever becoming really explicit/gratuitous about the actual act itself. It's pretty lurid stuff that can make you feel uncomfortable, but they never really go for the "easy out" and when they do, there's an element of ick to it.

something like this?

Ethan get out.

Tribe was a pretty decent game.

My favorite though is Warpworld by BTRC. Reality changes, technology stops working, but magic and the old gods return.

And that's why I like DP9 they world build like motherfuckers.

I actually like Wizard and Glass, if only to see the last gasps of light and civilization in Mid-World. Wolves of the Calla was bizarre, but not awful, except for the fact that it sets up the next two which are terrible. God, I hated reading about Mia and her chap.

>I actually like Wizard and Glass, if only to see the last gasps of light and civilization in Mid-World. Wolves of the Calla was bizarre, but not awful, except for the fact that it sets up the next two which are terrible. God, I hated reading about Mia and her chap.
So that's where I put my clone.

wizards, (1977)

Amazing setting, garbage mechanics.

Currently, I can't stomach how awful the mechanics are. Sadly, don't know any other system with such interesting approach to PCs (the idea was sound, the execution not so much), besides maybe the rip-off Apocalypse World module, but I hate AW with a passion.

Have you looked at genesys?

Never heard of it before. Looks like FFG at its finest, that is, not trying to make a standard rpg and utilizing fancy custom dice (that was one of very few, good things about 3rd ed of WH).

Thanks, gonna check it out.