/afmbe/ All Flesh Must Be Eaten

Anyone play this game? I've just recently started a campaign with a group of friends and was wondering if there were any people in this board who are willing to share experiences or tips. For those who don't know the game, here's the PDFs for two of the books.
>Core Rulebook (Revised)
endchan.xyz/.media/a0a032d304a03a724f582423dbd6fc34-applicationpdf
>One Of The Living
docdroid.net/ebts/afmbe-one-of-the-living.pdf

I would really love playing/GMing a campaign but my players just don't like Zombies.

Some of the Deadworlds look really cool.

I would love starting a campaign where the players are a bunch of normal people working in an office.

Then Z-Day hits and the first part of your campaign is basically GTFO of the city.

Then at some point one of the living kicks in and the players build up a community. Political shenanigans happen etc.

Played many a session of this. They were always good times.

Don't hand out xp too freely. It's easy for a character to become OP combat-wise.

Ah, that's a shame.There's a bunch of supplemental material from what I've seen, so if your players are more into fantasy perhaps you could use that? So far my group has been having an absolute blast, playing survivors trying to find the source of the outbreak (They Came From Beyond setting).

What would you say is a good amount of xp I should give per session? I've been giving out around 4 or so. Some of my players love to min max, so making sure they're not absolute killing machines by the fourth session would be nice.

I've had a lot of fun. Not really a fan of mixing the two tiers of survivors, though.

>Some of my players love to min max
You shouldn't let them roll for things unless there's a good chance that failure will result in death or injury. AFMBE is a good system to wean minmaxers off of the D&D powerbuild mindset.

Ehhh we are actually in the process of starting a ASoIaF chronic and that's cool too.

And personally I am a Zombie purist. I would play shit with supernatural zombies but not before I enjoyed a campaign with your standard virus z-apocalypse.

There's nothing better than springing magic zombies on virus prepper nerds. Especially if they think bites infect them.

Would be nice if all your preparations are completely useless.

Pssst.
Don't use zombies.
I ran an adventure (after flashing around the book ostentatiously) where the PCs were camp counsellors on the off season setting up fro the kids. They rolled their eyes and tried to cheese out, setting up a very defensible anti-zombie outpost.
I then dropped four very powerful and agile werewolves on them, and implied one of them had been a werewolf all along. They lost their tiny minds.
>What would you say is a good amount of xp I should give per session? I've been giving out around 4 or so.
Pace yourself. Once your players get past about 30 XP awarded, they're going to look pretty buff.
>Some of my players love to min max
Numbers, mutating zombie threat, stingy supplies and no sense of fairness. Throw encounter balance out the fucking window. This is the "fuck up the biggest guy on day one of your sentence" route of establishing dominance but it works.

I've used the system for things other than zombies. As a base its great for all sorts. I've run a mortal combat game, star wars and classic sorta fantasy. Unisystem is my go to.

I used Witchcraft to run a Secret World campaign. Shit's fun.

its very simple of a game.
we run a oneshot every halloween.

Nice. Anti-Zombie outpost vs. Werewolfs is basically useless.

They barricaded a cabin very quickly when they heard noises in the woods... And then an 8-foot wolfman took out the power box and started crawling around on the roof. The Daryl Dixon wannabe with the archery-range bow suddenly felt very unsure of himself.

It's a game that really didn't age well. Those lists of traits and flaws belong to the late 90es/early 00es and should really stay there. There was a lot of very good stuff for game ideas though.

always been interested in this game, reading the books now. thanks op

>Those lists of traits and flaws belong to the late 90es/early 00es and should really stay there.
Why?
I ask because I like them, it gives me building blocks to put characters together with, but it's not as restrictive as a class-based environment. There's also less material and fewer subsystems than - for example - GURPS.
Do you prefer less crunch, or more "build your own" skill/trait systems?

The issue I have is that they are unfocused and vague, in that sort of limbo between crunch and roleplaying that goes nowhere. Ok, so I get some points back because I have an allergy, something that is probably never going to come up in game, doesn't tell me much about who I am as a character, and doesn't add anything interesting to the narrative - it's just a way to have a few free points. Yet, that was the state of design of most "build your own" games from that time - you find almost the same lists in NWoD, Shadowrun and many others.
Lately more games have started asking themselves what really matters, what they are about. You don't really need complex subsystems, but if you really want to have character depth built into the system, it should be for things that matter in the scope of the game. Just as a quick example, look at how integral are character relations in the Apocalypse Engine games, and compare that to this kind of flaw systems.

Ah. Yeah, I think I see your point. The Drawbacks only really work if the GM takes an active role in picking them with the players. I.e. banning ones that won't see play, and rewarding ones that will.
Similarly, he should be making the drawbacks into points for dramatic tension. A serious allergy should be a ticking timebomb in a post-apocalyptic game, with that one PC having an additional pressure on food scavenging, or what have you. Laziness, or an addiction, could be the triggers for the zombies getting into the stronghold undetected.
Later games have focused down more, taken it onto the design of the game. I suppose that is better, but I was doing it anyway as a GM so I guess I miss some of the benefits of modern systems that way.

I personally prefer Terra Primate but I've always wanted to run a non-zombie fantasy game with it.

The secret of AFMBE is that beneath the zombie gimmick it's actually just a survival-horror version of GURPS.

Really neat system, with the right amount of complexity! :3

Would be actually hilarious if a character is allergic to peanuts or whatever and the starving PCs find a large stash of food but everything contains peanuts...

Peanuts, aspirin, penicillin, latex, insect bites... Plenty of mild allergies could be a serious liability in difficult times. Or a death sentence.

It looks we've collected from similar sources.

Probably. There aren't that many. That being said, hasn't been posted too many places, it's essentially OC.

This is a never-posted rework of a good subsystem.

This is a draft of an AFMBE Scenario I've run. Worked pretty nicely.

Archetypes for same.

Rarely posted disaster survival tasks.

From the Eden site, but reformatted.

My favourite character sheet

I'm momentarily tapped out, unless anyone has specific requests?

One of the best RPGs I've ever played, and criminally underrated.

How would you use these mechanics with the godless setting of shadow of the demon lord?

Just don't have inspired characters.

You got any more of the supplemental books for AFMBE, like Enter the Zombie and such?

There's a much, much older RE hack for AFMBE. As of now, it predates most of the games, and I think that's probably why it was made of 5 small PDFs instead of one normal sized one.

So any new of that Unisystem SRD that was supposed to come out after Beyond Human?

Guess not

RIP

A lot of them are too big to upload here, but check the PDF thread for a decent trove if you're interested.
Or buy them, you filthy casual :-)

>tfw you own 90% of the AFMBE line in dead tree format
It's comfy af

I actually really like the smaller format books they put out, they're handy at the table and fit nicely in a bag.
D&D manuals a shit.

Most of that got included in One of The Living, the "DMG" for AFMBE.

Somebody on Veeky Forums has played a long campaign ?

I have. Not with zombies though.

What happened?

Was it an apocalyptic campaign or mystery stuff?

The longest one I ran was a Star Wars game. Players were students in Skywalkers new jedi school, had to deal with some dark jedi and imperial remnants. The following a large time skip they had to contend with a Yuzahn Vong invasion. One of the best games I have ever ran.