/SWG/ - Grand Ole War Edition

Had there been non-Clone equivalents of Stormtroopers around for the Clone Wars, how skilled would any who fought on fronts like Umbara, Jabiim, Geonosis and Felucia have been by the war's conclusion?

Previous: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB
Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
Other FFG Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Destiny and the LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
FFG Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the FFG RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ (embed)
Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.nz/#F!kJtCTR7Q!HNUwVc1B8KB2FrD4Twmb7g
The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing
Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

--- Latest News ---
Armada wave VII release article:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/1/launch-the-fleet/
Legion in-store demos announcement and locations:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/14/see-to-it-personally/
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/swlegion/demos/
Force and Destiny Warrior Sourcebook announced:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/12/knights-of-fate/
X-Wing Wave XIV announced:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/13/save-the-dream/

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/22/cracking-the-metagame/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/23/racing-into-action/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/22/blizzard-assault/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/22/the-rebellion-is-born/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/20/the-duels-in-portland/
youtube.com/watch?v=IxwNqSO2oQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=Gb8pX892HNA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well how much training would they have? How well equipped are they?

This is a big question with too many variables to meaningfully answer user

Functionally they're trained and equipped exactly like the Storm Troopers the Empire would use, only in Republic service.

dropped the ball on the articles OP

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/22/cracking-the-metagame/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/23/racing-into-action/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/22/blizzard-assault/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/22/the-rebellion-is-born/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/20/the-duels-in-portland/

I'm not sure that they could drill them up in a timely enough manner to make an impact on the first year of the war. Beyond that I am willing to bet they would overall do worse than the clones, who are born and raised for war.

Also
>(embed)
STOP

There were non clone soldiers during the clone wars, just not in frontline combat rolls. A few examples include elite guard units such as the senate guard and various irregular forces.

#
It's because they don't know how to make the heroes win against compitent enemies, people in any given story can't be smarter then the person writing said story

>various irregular forces
Irregulars that often still saw frontline combat. Kota's militia were made up of regular meatbags, for instance. If you expand beyond just "soldiers" and into other branches of military service, the Republic also employed non-clones in its starfighter and naval forces, as we saw with Garven Dreis and Gilad Pellaeon.

Clone wars only really went for 3 years and the idea of a standing army does seem to be kind of inimical most SW civilisations, they spend their military budgets on space trucks, strip clubs and spice. Even the places that do have some kind of token defence forces are also so anachronistic/decorative in that they're basically a speed hump, running around with laser spears, fancy armours that don't seem to be very good and essentially no fucking good. Keep in mind I'm talking the vast majority of civilisations, you do get the odd one which actually knows how to kill shit (Mandos) and various paramilitary ones (Hutts + other crime orgs) that do exist- but they're the exception.

The problem with that is a (functional) military runs on living memory more than anything else. You have to actually get out there and get bloody once in a while or people kind of forget what the fuck they're doing, the politicians drag cash out of the budget for their social youth programs and after long enough you've got guys rolling up to parade in fluffy hats, fluorescent cammys, armed with a scary sharp stick that spend their days mopping floors, standing around near cultural monuments and jerking off more than normal.
Basically- to get fighty, you have to kill people regularly like you mean it.

So for anyone in SW wanting an army, they're really starting from day 0.
There's a huge learning curve, an armament process to combat the enemy, there's gunna be a lot of dead people (on your side) and some crippling losses. Not only does it take a basic grunt trooper a fair few months to figure what the fuck they're doing to the point of being competent, but the entire command and officer structure is going to be learning as well. I would say by the end of 3 years they'd be what passes for 'functional', but it'd be a fucking river of blood along the way- assuming they kept track of their enemies developments and progress along the way, because if they don't, they go extinct real quick

>Even the places that do have some kind of token defence forces are also so anachronistic/decorative in that they're basically a speed hump, running around with laser spears, fancy armours that don't seem to be very good and essentially no fucking good.
And yet somehow, in the Gungans' case, that shit inexplicably works. Fucking Gungans, man.

>inexplicably
Not totally; it just happened that their customary weapons inflicted ion damage and their foes were a primarily droid-based army. Happy accident.

They're killing each other all the time for fun, so when anybody else shows up, it's fucking on now lads

>So for anyone in SW wanting an army, they're really starting from day 0.

I think Droid Armies might be the exception there.

Not sure really as in the old Lore, they mentioned the Trade Federation's army had it's battle scars by the time of Naboo from fighting debtors and armies of pirates.

>fighting debtors
>With the CIS' arsenal
Wew lad. I wonder what kinds of hijinks those debtors got up to.

I was wondering that myself.

They mention Hailfires, OG-9s and a lot of the other units were made to ensure debtors didn't default or to handle them when they did.

They also mention the Dwarf Spider was to handle dissident mine workers, hence why they are armed with a self destruct and a cannon that could easily cause havoc in a mine shaft.

What kind of people are you lending money that you need to shore missiles and heavy lasers at them for not paying?

Is that common practice or something? Or are you lending money to the Hutt cartels?

>shore

*shoot

You still have them being a bunch of semi-pro soldiers with spears, shields and throwing blue balls. They do have a decent tech base to bounce off which might be due to having to fend off leviathan sized mega-fish floating around in Naboos oceans, for the most part though-
>Happy accident.
Seems about right, the fact they could get their shit together enough to turn up and form ranks puts them ahead of the curve so to speak with SW standing armies. They got fucking wrecked by droids until someone turned off the signal though, so while a blue ion ball to the face is effective, its not quite up there with high rate of fire grenade launchers, automatic weapons and attack vehicles!

Droids are sort of a side-step to the organic process of murdering people on a professional level, being that you can roll them off a line pre-built with the disposition and equipment to go kill things. Course the downside of that was well shown in the movies and cartoons, gives you an upper hand initially to inflict some serious damage. But on a longer timeline they're not learning as well, they're constantly having to build up massive numbers to work and placing some huge demands on their technology/cash to come up with counters to the enemy's developments.
They did fairly well though all things considering, had there be no sith dickery or jedi involvement they may very well have won simply by the fact of a first round knockout.

>so while a blue ion ball to the face is effective, its not quite up there with high rate of fire grenade launchers, automatic weapons and attack vehicles
Until you play the Galactic Battlegrounds campaign, anyway. Then shit gets silly because of game balance.
>Gungan slingers in late game are walking Mk 19s and can compete with opponents' E-webs
>Catapults capable of leveling Trade Federation bases
>Get to build all your houses underwater and use all your land for troop buildings, letting you rival the TF in unit production and economy
>Pterosaur riders can fight Vulture Droids on equal footing

I guess when you're the size of the trade federation your loans would be substantial, they're meant to have hundreds to thousands of lucrehulks, so they're probably financing entire planets, and when the planet defaults they need to reclaim assets on a massive scale, so they need droid baliffs to help keep the peace and AATs to pacify any planetary defense forces

remember in legends Naboo has an exclusive contract with the trade federation for distribution of Naboo plasma along the mid rim, so they're making mad dosh off that, Gunray claimed that the blockade was a protest against Republic taxation of their shipping routes

Galactic Battlegrounds certainly had an odd approach to filling out its factions. Especially in that really early weird phase of the Clone Wars where the CIS was represented as pretty much Geonosians with droids.

This pack has 501st stuff, so I want the troopers to have Geonosis bases, as that is where the 501st Legion debuted. I have a rocky sand texture, but I'm not quite sure how to get the Geonosis color. Ideas?

The lizard-riding flamethrower SBDs were particularly weird.

What's your most wanted novel, anons?
Mine is a Dooku life story novel by James Luceno, with emphasis on him just prior to AotC where we see him convincing people like Mina Bonteri of his ideals.

Another Wraith Squadron novel by Allston.

By frontline combat I mean conventional warfare.

Wookie Rebels
3 models, 2 wounds each, 2 morale
offensive surge : hit
Melee: 1 red / 1 black
Bowcaster: 2 black, Pierce 1*, range 2
White defense die
"Taunt": enemy trooper units within distance 1 gain 1 suppression token if they make an attack targeting a squad without Taunt

* I don't actually know how keywords work with multiple models, does it stack for each attacking model or is it for the entire pool? The forum seemed undecided. I'm assuming it doesn't, so they'd have Pierce 1 on 6 dice, not Pierce 3.

>Dooku life story novel

As long as there's an Ian Mckellen expy in there, I'm game.

Based on demos, weapons don't stack with themselves, I/E, say speeder bikes only convert one hit to crit with Impact despite having two bikes worth of dice. Otherwise everything which is high cost/low unit count but has numbered keywords is grossly underpowered, and grenades are way too cheap.

Entire planets, other megacorps etc and high tech mining equipment is pretty deadly.

Also antipirate stuff and a lot of the armament WAS unneccessary even then. It was Palpatine pushing for them to arm up in exchange for the Nemoidian delegation becoming more powerful within the Trade Federation as of uh the Nebula Front crisis, whichever book that was, and older manipulation by Plageuis and even Tenebrous to do much the same.
The Trade Fed were fighting Nym and the Lok Revenants before EP1.

I'm kind of sad as it would have been far more entertaining to have 'Mesa Zulu!'
>1000s of scary arse fish people with spears and shield descending on your isolated troop

"Shaved Borsk."
And when the rebels got their hands on ISDs within a year they'd modified them into Starhawks that could solo bodyslam an Executor class into a planet like it was fucking WWE Jakku.

So, Speeder Bikes should never be anywhere near troopers with Concussion Grenades or AT-RTs with flamethrowers, you will die. Pierce is also probably pretty bad.

Conversely, if you feel the need to defeat enemy speeder bikes, you know what to bring.

If a unit that can move ~24 inches per turn can't avoid a front-arc-only, range 1 flamethrower, it *deserves* to die.

My dudes, why is the Most Wanted expansion for X-Wing in such short print and overpriced?

Geonosis is pretty much mars, so I think you could take a look at how people do martian terrain
youtube.com/watch?v=IxwNqSO2oQ0

Everyone wanted the harpoon missiles for the memes

It did not solo slam the executor, it had the fleet wailing on it too

A story about the CIS remnant during the empire, fighting their own rebellions and and layer staking their own claims after the empire falls. My ideal cast for it is Kalani, Trench (say he lived through some BS about Anakin missing his other heart), Mar Tuk, and a remained Severence Tann and Gizor Delso (might be misspelling)

What's the most blatant non-Star Wars thing you've ripped off for a Star Wars game? I had pic related as a recurring antagonist in an EotE I ran a few years back, cheesy 50's slang and all.

I like the TPM Gungan battle.

Zerg styled monsters to help fill out some yuuzhan-vong forces

Wing Commander, Ace Combat, and Metal Gear.

Whorme Loathsome too.

He's unaccounted for after the wa.

The Geonosis arc was when TCW got good IMO.
The second ep of the arc when Luminara and Barriss showed up specifically.

>It did not solo slam the executor, it had the fleet wailing on it too
True, but just moving something with that much more ENGINE than you seems highly improbable and even once the engines are destoryed that's a lot of inertia. Slamming it seems retarded.

It wasn't even a slam, the ship used a hella strong tractor beam system to drag the thing with it

I can't tell if loosing the Ravager is just a case of the Empire being crappy at combat (Canon so no surprise there) or if the Executors legitimately were terrible ship designs.

That's what I mean, A tractor beam would just draw the smaller ship to the larger one.

Then that means the gunners aboard the Ravager must have been awful at their job or the ship's turbo lasers were aweful weapons.

Sweet, thanks.

The ship was in a full downward fall and the ravager was going with it as a result of the teather

>and the idea of a standing army does seem to be kind of inimical most SW civilisations

That is not true. Even Naboo and Alderaan have armies, they just call them security forces. And we know the non-human races like Gungans and Umbarans all have their own armies designed along their own respective cultural lines.

That wouldn't fucking work just by sheer inertia it would take multiple passes like the Golan getting dragged by thrawn's shuttle in Choices of One.

So the Imperial fleet is just going to sit around and let it happen?

Apparently since all it took was one ship in the screen the Ravager was hiding behind to get destroyed for the whole thing to fall apart.

The Imperial Navy never disappoints I see.

Honestly closest you'd get is probably these guys

Those or the troopers from SWTOR

Forgot pic b/c I'm a doofus

TFU was a waste of perfectly good concept art.

Base the texture with Bugman's Glow, drybrush with Ryza Rust, then Terminatus Stone.

No u

>Umbarans
Good god those guys where hell to fight
Blasterprooftentaclemine.jpg

Well, look at Naboo.
>600mil inhabitants
>1 wing of fighters
>Royal security goons = ? people
>Sec forces, 3 divisions = 30-40k

That's fuck all in the greater scheme of things and a literally a speed bump against an invasion. Yeah you might be able to convince someone in the republic to come help, however:
>Republic is a paper tiger for the most part that spends time probably eating lunches
>You don't have the dick to swing around when it comes to fronting up against the Trade Fed

Thats the thing of "defence forces", its great if you've got some direct allies to pop in to help, but for the most part they're there to hold the line in a worst case scenario and dissuade anyone from messing with you in the first place. If you don't have one, then the best they can hope for is to roll over and hope the invaders are merciful enough not to send the population into camps, slavery or a mass grave. Even at a peak of say 50k all up in the security side of things, that's not even a basic police force for 600mil people!
Nasty as it sounds, Naboo deserved to get fucked hard because they took no steps to enforce their own defences and when you're calling in on Gungan buddies AFTER the invasion, that's basically a non-act as its already too late to get defences in place, so they're going to get dicked too.

I think most wanted ha some shit that everyone wants, and/or it's been out of print for a while.

What part did you want from it? I've got a spare one with the ships missing- If you needed a card or scum conversion for a ship, I can probably mail it to you.

Put the name back on, xww

Hey guys, So I'm looking to paint this version of The Ghost from the X-wing Mini's game. Obviously it's prepainted from out of the box, but I want to add some weathering, soot, and light scarring on the hull, but I don't want to completely repaint it. So I can't prime it...Do they make clear primer, so I can paint ontop of the factory paint layer? If not, you think painting it without any primer, will work? Suggestions?

To be fair, a planetary blockade is not an everyday occurrence and Naboo isn't exactly centrally located.

Prepainted is preprimed. Go wild.

Benny would honestly work great as a Lando/Hondo type character.

You made my friday mate... Thinking of putting a dark wash/shade on it as well when I'm done. Hopefully it doesn't completely ruin it

I should probably expand on this- I've stripped quite a few FFG models, the way that they are painted is entirely by masking and what is effectively spray primer.

You don't need to strip and prime unless doing intensive repaints.

As long as you don't dunk it in the wash, you should be fine. just take your time and THIN YOUR PAINT, I can't repeat the importance of that enough.

Also, fun fact- The Kihraxz is made of lime green plastic.

If you don't already know, the best scorch marks are made by mixing black with something like Dryad Bark or Rhinox Hide. Sometimes I put a tiny dot of orange in the center to serve as an extra fresh shot.

Yes. Thin your paint. It's not just a meme. It may try your patience painting the same spot the same color because it didn't take the first time, but that tiny annoyance is infinitely better than having thick paint on your model.

Has anyone got a scan of Dawn of Rebellion? Also the mediafire link for the swrpg books isn't working

Yeah, most people didn't react well to the Republic attempting to invade their homeworld and made them pay a steep price to do so.

Genosians, Umbarans Jabiim Nationalists, etc.

I like the guy on the left with a lightsaber and a big fuckoff knife, like the lightsaber wasn't gonna kill them hard enough so he brought the knife along to finish the job. Metal.

As a person who foolishly invested in Halo Fleet Battles and who now finds himself without a space game to play, could I realistically start playing Armada? Or has it been going to long?

Never know when a good knife might come in handy.

I think the Knife either belonged to one of their allies or was used to murder them. So he's "Giving it back." in the most brutal fall-to-the-darkside way.

Man, Jabiim was fucking crazy.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gb8pX892HNA

So I got inspiration from this along with the stations used to shit up the Versio's homeworld reminding me of the GoldenEye Satellite.

What about a campaign where you're a group of Imperial Intelligence Agents and SpecOps Jarheads like Inferno Squad tasked by Ysanne Isard with a simple purpose, to stop Operation Cinder?

There's heavy interlapping between events from NuCanon and the EU, for example you'd get to warn and save Pellaeon and what's left of Death Squadron that's regrouping after Endor from Cinder-following Imperials and from Rebels. You'd get to provide support to Admiral Daala holed up in the Maw as some Cinder Imperials try to get further weapons from there for the Operation.

Eventually the group would start getting some spooky transmissions from Byss, which include getting the half-finished Eclipse away from Kuat, while at the same time saving Imperial worlds by disabling the weather-altering satellites through tacticool operations and thwarting Cinder-following Admirals and investigating just who it is behind Operation Cinder, which is revealed to be Rax. The author of all their pain.

Good? Shit? I think there'd be potential for Rebels and Scum to join in too, especially Rebels who are more out to save the Galaxy than destroy the Empire.

>in the most brutal fall-to-the-darkside way.

Lot of that apparently going around on Jabiim.

>Ysanne Isard
Only problem I see here is her trying to stop Cinder. Isard's Coruscant urban renewal project, Krytos shenanigans, and willingness to assassinate the families of her subordinates and enemies indicate that she is exactly the kind of person Palps would task with participating in Cinder.

She'd only participate in Cinder if she saw it as potentially useful. She wanted a powerbase and only gave up Coruscant when it became untenable.

Right, but didn't Cinder only target specific planets? If she was promised a place in the First Order or had already set up shop on excluded worlds, she has no reason not to set the galaxy ablaze. She was also fanatically devoted to Palpatine. Disobeying his orders would be out of character.

The idea is that Cinder is something ran by Rax, with falsified droids of Palpatine, who is actually still around in a clone body setting up Shadowhand over at Byss and wants the Empire around and wants people like Isard, Thrawn and well, your team, who would all act as a battering ram against the NR until he's ready to resurface.

And Rax himself would also be manipulated. I'd include Snoke in here somewhere but I have no idea how since we didn't get any backstory on him. Maybe Rax is just a fanatic who believes that the Empire needs to be destroyed fully in order to be reforged into something more 'perfect' like what he believes the future First Order to be.

Or should I look at X-wing?

How Cassian and friends met up with the Rebellion, done on a backdrop of how the Imperial Senate actually operated in its waning days. I'd love to read a book about tensions between former Confederate agents eventually coming to team up with Rebellion senators, and how the whole process really got started from being an idea to an actual military presence. Put some background in on what Coruscant was like under the Empire, and have the bad guy be a tired Clone Wars-era Imperial officer who is just dealing with way too much shit even before Cassian and friends show up to do what they need to do (in this case I'm thinking rescuing the Incom engineers, but the macuffin could be anything really).

I have no idea if Rebels has covered any of that.

I really like this idea
I could see Isard feigning compliance with the plan only to completely jump ship once the actual contingency is put into motion and she's given the chance to make her own bid for power.

One where Luke wakes up from his deep meditation, having witnessed the events of the ST and says, "Maybe Han and Leia's kid would be better off NOT training to become a jedi."

Well, neither has been "going too long".

The question is, what type of game do you want to play?

Now I see why the wiki says Isard had sex with every male intelligence agent she worked with.

Cassian has not been in Rebels, sadly.

I wanted a space fleet game. It's why I liked Halo Fleet Battles so much, you had cruisers, fighters, bombers, boarding craft and boarders. But Spartan Games were fucking idiots and couldn't handle the properpty and it went bellyup.
Armada seems crazy expensive, but seems to have more of what I want. X-wing seems much cheaper, but much less grand.
Only remaining pictures of my ships ;___;

What sorts of weird and spooky things might the post-Vong NJO keep in containment cells for study rather than outright destruction?

Well, if armada seems to be a match for what you want, get Armada.

I'm currently only playing X-wing, but I'm stuck on what my second game should be- Armada, Legion, or getting back into 40k. I'll likely decide after Adepticon.

As always, the cheap way to pick up a game is to buy collections from people getting out.

'lids.

I guess I just need to look into how much it's going to cost to expand.
I already have two 40k Armies, but I'm getting into Legion on the ground floor. Got my Rebels ordered and splitting the core box contents.

Thanks for the advice! And yea I paint Warhammer so I know to thin to milk consistency!

Killiks

Sithspawn (for eventual use against intergalactic invaders/Second Vong War)

Thud Bugs

Kyle Katarn

>Implying you can contain Kyle Katarn
Pic related is what happened the last time someone tried that.