Looking for a sci fi system to run. Something not as crunchy heavy as GURPS and something not as lite a FATE...

Looking for a sci fi system to run. Something not as crunchy heavy as GURPS and something not as lite a FATE. Somewhere along the lines of D&D 5e crunch wise.

My players have been wanting to try something scifi. Not space opera stuff. More Noir Blade Runner themes. Based in a single city most adventures will take place there.

Also post all your awesome scifi pics.

Alternity.

I'll certainly look into this. Thanks for the reccomendo

It's bretty gud. I like the way it handles different levels of success when using skills, and the different levels of HP to indicate different severities of injuries.

Damn, this looks just like my childhood memories except cleaner.

40kRPG (FFG) is a pretty solid system, crunchy as hell and home of the (in)famous 10 pages of gory crit tables. SWRPG/Genesys is lighter but a shitload more flexible. I love Eclipse Phase, but I honestly cannot tell you why. Really, it depends on what you like.

I'll defs look into 40k but probs wont run it. Looking for something a little less crunch. I do have a question about genesys though. I run my games via roll20 since i moved cities. How would i handle the dice rolls? For the life of me i cant seem to figure out custom dice on there.
Genesys might fit my need its just those damn dice holding me back

You'll need to grab a dicebot, there are likely apps all over the place for it.

Ops and Tactics is a d20 modern derivative with major overhauls. Its got a big focus on combat though so that may affect your decision.

There are plenty of options.
Stars without numbers is an OSR, but with the best tool for a GM out there, if nothing else look for his stuff, it has an Earth based setting than you can mine for ideas if nothing else. The basic system is a bit meh.

D6 based games are in that nice spot for fast and loose space opera games. Look for mini d6, a few pages and a lot of them for settings. The rules for vehicles combat are simple and elegant.

Traveller is the grand daddy of the majority of Sci fi games. 2d6 based, without levels and with enough sups to make any nerd squeal in delight, stick to the basic books or the new cepheus engine if you are overwhelmed and consult the general, depend of the day they are one of the most helpful people on the board, some others trolls roam and they are in the defensive.

GURPS if well tailored isn't that overwhelming but yeah, it scares lots of GM. The books they have are choke full of good info tough, so it isn't bad you download some and read them a little, if nothing else you will learn a thing or two.

BRP is another option. d100 based, roll under. Lots of games have used this system for newbies. Gritty and mortal tough.

SilCore games like Heavy Gear or Jovian chronicles are good too, injustly forgoten. The setting are in the upper scale of hardness of sci fi, but with mechs and some space magic for FTL in HG like wormholes. The sistem is d6 based and multiples for damage and that stuff, it scares players than hate maths (than seem to be the majority) but is really simple. I couldn't play it with anyone because that...

>Ops and Tactics is a d20 modern derivative with major overhauls.
>a d20 modern derivative with major overhauls.
>d20 modern derivative

>d20 games.
>For Sci-fi.
>For Any game.

Ahhh thanks for the advice. I'll defs look for one. Genesys seems to fit well if i can get that dice stuff sorted.

While my group isnt heavily into combat, I'll defs look into that too. Thanks for the recommendo friend.

Oh wow. Thanks for the recommendos friend. Totally excited into looking into all these systems.

Top tier recommendations.

cyberpunk 2020

Mutants and Masterminds 2e would work, you need to provide the setting.

Interface Zero for cyberpunk
Savage worlds really if you just want general stuff.

>More Noir Blade Runner themes.
Technoir is amazing for this, it really captures the tone perfectly. It uses 'push dice' to map out the players getting in over their head in a wonderful way. It's definitely not as sparse as Fate, but it still deals with verbal positive and negative traits for impacting things.

It also has this 'transmission' system for generating noir intrigues, with the GM essentially playing this story creation game as you go to find out who did what to who. And of course, you can always just add your own wrinkles, though I've really enjoyed the semi-random plot stuff the two times I've ran the game. Plus, the player's guide is free (though you aren't really well equipped to play with *just* that, it mostly just repackages character creation and the barebones version of a few rules for reference).

You could run an entire Starfinder campaign that never leaves Absalom station.