Horus Heresy General /hhg/

IIIrd Legion Edition

Previous 58120387

>Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>NEW Mega Folder
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A

>HH rulebook
>epub
mediafire.com/file/mmr4e1yy7fnyxgy/HH_Rule_Book.epub
>pdf
www34.zippyshare.com/v/3a2haZF4/file.htm

1ST FOR RAGE!

I ADB's prince of crows was first. so this is adb's fluff.

This is never mentioned in the Prince of Crows.

>Chapter IV
>He’d duelled Sigismund of the Imperial Fists once – the only warrior ever to beat him to a deadlock in over a hundred years of warfare. The duel had lasted almost thirty long, long hours of sweat, swearing, and the crash-clash of iron against iron. He’d cheated, in the end. He finished the duel, as hundreds of warriors from both Legions looked on, by headbutting the Templar and disqualifying himself. It broke the rules, as well as Sigismund’s winning streak. True to his nature, Sigismund had done nothing but laugh. The proud stoicism the First Captain of the Fists was so famous for didn’t bleach all humanity from his humour. Sevatar had always envied him that, for he found it very difficult to laugh, to joke, to bond effortlessly with brothers in arms.

Why Neil Roberts can't draw Ferrus without making his weapon look like shit?

>30 hours
GW (and associates) need to stop doing this shit. Past a certain point it's not epic, it's just stupid. Like Russ and the Lion duelling for a day and a night, it's just ridiculous. Much better are duels like Ferrus/Fulgrim and Khan/Morty, which actually get resolved in a vaguely sensible amount of time.

I would mention the Dorn/Alpharius duel as well, but it triggers AL players so much I'd best not.
OOPS.

You've got to wonder how many people went and just had a nap while waiting for the fight to be over. 'Stupidly long fight' only really works with stuff like Alicia Domina's death where it's 'One person holding off an army'. Not 'two guys spend a day and a half fighting and fail to actually do anything of note'.

I dont get this image

>Like Russ and the Lion duelling for a day and a night
I thought it was like three days. More to the point I don't mind it as much when it comes to primarchs because they are essentially demigods and duels between them could be like mythical duels between gods where they battled for days before someone finally wins. The only issue with this is when you then have shit like Russ snapping Maggie's back in a relatively short period of time, which raises the question of why Russ and Lion were stuck fighting for days?

They are both martial champions while Mangus is a nerd.

And still Magnus would kill Russ if his wolves didn't started bitting Magnus's legs.

Why does he have a sentinel leg on his backpack?

Skilled fighters should be able to end a fight pretty quickly. Look at expert practitioners of fencing, kendo, or hema, scoring points or hits happens extremely quickly. If two people with swords take several minutes to end the fight odds are they are both incompetent fucks swinging swords like baseball bats.

True enough. In Leman Russ book the fight is only a few minutes short.
Let's assume the story told in 40k is exaggerated by the re-tellings.

What kind of pussy ass bitch doesn't have a sentinel leg with them at all times?
that's a servo arm

>Ferrus still not using Fireblade

Xth for staged

Is there a Canon name and description for whatever Ferrus used before Forgebreaker?

Was he wielding Forgebreaker during the duel at Istvaan V?

All I see is a sentinel leg.

Like a tortoise, Ferrus can't get back up if he falls on his back, so he attached a mechanical leg to his backpack to kick him over if he ever ends up in that situation. Trufax.

There's been a build-up of Dorn resorting to subterfuge since the Lightning Tower. A good defensive siege commander must know that the sword is not enough.

Yes. The Iron Hands.

So the massive monkey-wrench thing they show him with in art is a contrivance?

>Is there a Canon name and description for whatever Ferrus used before Forgebreaker?
He was using his bare hands.

>Was he wielding Forgebreaker during the duel at Istvaan V?
No he was using Fireblade.

BL's HH cover art is terrible. The only likable one is of Death and Defiance.

Hey, KnF's is also decent

where did you find the closeup?

ye

It was made by the same people that made the totally-not-upside-down boltguns.

>theresa may being told the post-brexit financial forecasts for the UK

>Merkel told "refugees" are unwelcome

Must you?

Take me from my home, and I will sail to the stars of your Empire. I will serve as a son must serve, but let Calth stand as I have shaped it, a planet of peace and prosperity...

Official Legion numbers at the Siege of Terra

Traitors (~450,000 Astartes)
>~90,000 Sons of Horus under Horus
>~80,000 World Eaters under Angron
>~70,000 Death Guard under Mortarion
>~60,000 Word Bearers under Lorgar
>~50,000 Iron Warriors under Perturabo
>~40,000 Alpha Legion under Omegon
>~30,000 Emperor's Children under Fulgrim
>~20,000 Night Lords under Sevatar/Gender Skraivok
>~5,000 Thousand Sons under Magnus

Loyalists (~201,004)
>~80,000 Imperial Fists under Dorn
>~60,000 Blood Angels under Sanguinius
>~50,000 White Scars under Khan
>~10,000 misc. scattered legions/space wolves reporting to Dorn
>~1,000 Custodes under Valdor
>3 Salamanders under Vulkan

Before Forgebreaker he used a giant power wrench that's nameless

Also his backpack has a lot of weapons in it

>Vulkan
>10,000 misc marines
>Only 1,000 custodes
This feels wrong

Vulkan is confirmed sitting by the golden throne with 3 salamanders as of old earth, he probably won't do much though. His only job is to press the button that will destroy Terra should the traitors win.

There are only 1,000 Custodes left after the webway war. This is confirmed in Master of Mankind.

The misc. marines is just speculation, but it's talked about how many expeditionary fleets that became disorientated from the ruinstorm and general chaos of the situation simply went to Terra. There are still some space wolves on Terra, even after Russ leaves to go fight Horus

While I recognise that it takes some of the shine away from IF/BA/WS, I am glad that the battle for Terra has been expanded to include the Shattered Legions at least.
I'm very eager to see what Corax gets crowbarred into to keep him relevant.
Which Primarch does he get to kill?

>Only 60000 word bearers
Weren't they one of the largest legions?

By "feels wrong" I didn't mean it was incorrect. I know why this is the case dude, I just reaaally don't like it.

>3 Salamanders under Vulkan
How come 3 dudes and their primarch only?

They are simply here and there, even in Retribution some timeline notes speak of other Legions' detachments arrival to Terra.
I guess it gives others to model their armies as during the Siege.

Pretty sure that's the entire Legion at this point.

Calth killed a lot of them, and presumably some were left behind to delay the Ultra fleet. The 60k would be the ones under the direct command of Lorgar.

It still doesn't have to be that many. Or that few Custodes. Or fucking Vulkan sitting around.

the duel itself isn't what triggers us. It's the manner of his death that's just kinda lame. I think most of us have reached a point of acceptance with it by now.

Now do you remember? Who you are? What you were meant to do? I cheated death, thanks to you. And thanks to you I've left my mark. You have too - you've written your own history. You're your own man. I'm Alpharius, and you are too... No... He's the two of us. Together. Where we are today? We built it. This story - this "legend" - it's ours. We can change the world - and with it, the future. I am you, and you are me. Carry that with you, wherever you go. Thank you... my friend. From here on out, you're Alpharius.

>which raises the question of why Russ and Lion were stuck fighting for days?
I would suppose that neither of them really wanted to kill the other. Whereas Russ had no such reservations about Magnus.

There were around 20000 at Calth, the whole point about Calth was that a relatively small number of WB took out half the Ultramarines legion

>~5,000 Thousand Sons under Magnus

>10 000 + present on Terra

On Calth died only 50k, officially WB were 150k but in fact they were much larger, probably even larger tan Ultramarines.

Those numbers look like pulled from ass

Mass recruitment post-Prospero? We know the 1ksons stayed out of most of the conflict, so they could potentially have recouped losses over a few decades.

>few decades
There's only a decade between prospero and Terra.
The loyalist ones are surprisingly highly accurate, the rest is mostly guesswork
Only those 3 accompanied him to Terra

I can't be the only one liking the irony in the Dark Angels' streak of destruction of legion homeworlds ends at Caliban.

>ends at Caliban.
You mean Fenris?

Fenris happens in season 2.

Still ends on Calliban, because Fenris wasn't destroyed.

>YO BOIS THAT SHAI-TAN DUDE TOLD ME ABOUT SOME GUY NAMED JAY-ZEUS AND TAUGHT ME A SWEET NEW TRICK
>BREAD AND WINE FOR EVERYONE! AND ALSO NEW MARINES

The shitty explanation is that the Thousand Sons who didn't count due to being sent away just turn up againm with no explanation and no follow up, in Crimson King.

Because McNeil is a complete fucking hack.

>20000 at Calth
The Word Bearers LOST 50,000 marines at Calth. Don’t post if you’re just going to say stupid bullshit.

That's a big ship

My mistake, I misunderstood pic related

For you.

Do we know the Titan/Ordinatus/Mechanicus deathmachine counts and their supporting forces? Because I know this is Marine City, but I bet that the Dark Mechanicus can muster more troops than 1/6th of WW2 Russia and even the Loyalist Mechanicum weren't so broken by the Webway War they can't throw down a few divisions at least, and either side of cogboy could happily chew up a Marine company in a minute or two of fire. The Ordo Reductor should be ALL OVER this shit.

Those traitor numbers should drop seeing as they have to through 5 spheres of defenses just to get to Terra

Thank you! Everything McNeil has written in the past 7 years has turned to shit. At least Kyme has the decency to not write about things that matter.

Solar Auxilia is the greatest army in the world all other armies are augmented little girls.

Solar Auxilia is number one distributor of laser gun
All other armies have inferior laser gun

It apparently takes 10 replies to ask: source?

Alpha Legion are the biggest surprise on the Traitor side; originally they were busy keeping the Space Wolves away, and it's a big number for a primarch who's a reluctant traitor at best.

I'm fine with them giving all the other loyalists a chance to play at the Siege. It'll take so long (in real-world time) that it'd suck to leave anyone out.

Tarpitted for 3 turns against fearless levies yay.

I think the majority of titans ever made are supposed to get smashed at Beta-Garmon, leaving a small number for Terra.

But we do know that the total forces on both sides will greatly exceed that number of Astartes. Millions of humans, millions of daemons, not sure about Mechanicum (AdMech by then) because they lost so much in the Webway.

"We do not break to shooting."
"Nigga, we ain't shooting"

I love these shield lines. What are they made from?

Fearless should be a lot more rare.

One of them, I like to think their commander, actually managed to kill a Cataphractii in overwatch.
That's a 6 to hit, a 5 to wound and my roll of 1 to fail the armour save.
He died in glory.

It was his rolled warlord trait. The group numbered 50 levies.

Starting an Auxilia force.

Made a Lord Marshal and I have 20 Grenadiers to make plus a Malcador Annihilator.

I’m thinking 5 Lascannon Sentinels plus 20 more Grenadiers is a good bit to add next?

Aiming for Warrior Elite.

actually just starting an iron warriors force this month. Main plan is a siege breaker + 3 Quad Launchers with Phosphex. I am super hyped to see folk gassed.

More pics of my battle against a Militia force

If you remember the Schism of Mars then I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if the Darkmech weren't landing at least a hundred million troops and a few "pocket battleships" like the Ordinatii Minoris. They don't have the same supply issues, they'll be funneling armies into Terra from day one until the Emperor sits down, and most of it will be decently high-class stuff just because their available transport capacity in the Baskilion Astra will be a lot smaller than their available manpower, so they can skim the cream of their forces and make the first few shiploads stuff like Myrmidons, Reductor and the better Dark Skitarii before they have to start loading chumps. If it weren't for the plot armour the Marines get then they would barely make the history books after this one.

The Loyalists are much harder pressed, but they have at least one decently sized Cybernetica Cohort left because they pulled a third of their boys out of the Webway before their slightly idiotic "charge to Mars" thing went down. Park that on a reasonably open section of wall and it'll throw back anything short of a Primarch or Titan for at least a day or two.

I found out that th dual volkite contemptor is pure terror against Militia. I choomed 16 men in one salvo.

Grenadier are always good. Keep them protected though. They are going to die.

Do the Traitors break the Loyalist blockade of Mars on the way to Terra?

It would make sense to. Even if the Loyalists don't pull back from blockading Mars to defend Terra which is the important objective to defend, no commander would leave such a large force (assumed, if it's enough to blockade Mars) in their rear area where they could cause as much havoc as they wanted and tie down a disproportionate amount of troops

But this is GeeDubs, so.....

If they don't they're complete idiots, because having a mostly-operational factory the size of every bit of land on Earth put together one short inter-system hop from your target basically means you have as many war machines as you can ship over, and leaving the blockade fleet around to fuck with you is a mistake that 11-year olds playing LEGO battles can learn not to make.

You know how in World War II America could basically sit back and build transport ships and war materiel faster than the Axis could demolish it once they'd mostly fended off the U-boats? It would be like that, only much more so and with automated daemon tanks.

I remember reading that the blockade wasn't lifted until 015.M31, which is after the Siege of Terra, which would indicate the blockade was in effect during the Siege.

Would a helbrute head fit in a leviathan dreadnought? How much cutting would I need to do?

That might be when the Dark Mechanicum was kicked off of Mars, unless both Dorn was cool with leaving forces in orbit around Mars to blockade it and not defend Terra AND Horus was cool with both a significant enemy force in his rear area and not being able to access the soldiers, arms and factories of the biggest forge world right next door to his target

I'm guessing the defenders thought that not having a fleet of ships would be a smaller loss than if the traitors got material off of Mars. Horus probably assumed the time needed to wipe out the blockade would give Terra all the more time to prepare its defenses, and he wanted the war over. Even if he did do it, it'd still take time for Martian materials to get packed, transported and distributed to his forces, and the traitors probably came with more than enough materials for a prolonged siege already, so he probably wasn't lacking in weapon and equipment.

The guy in the cupola looks like he's just suddenly stuck his head out, startled.
>what the fuck was that noise on the side of me tonk?

Do Astartes tank crews remove their pauldrons so they can fit through the hatch?

Astartes never remove their pauldrons. Not even in the ofuro.

But with what transports? A super heavy??

Dude, rhinos and land raiders. Get them survivors of the dark age and they become awesome

I'm just catching up on the HH books.

Reading Path of Heaven right now... what happened to Horus between Spirit of Vengeance and this book? He came out of the Warp looking like a godlike version of himself, and suddenly in Path of Heaven he's the monster-man from the all the old artwork.

Did I miss something in a short story or novel I skipped (I'm using someone's recommended list)?

>what happened to Horus between Spirit of Vengeance and this book?
BL is a hell of a drug.

The trip into the warpgate was supposed to make him into the monsterman. That's when he officially became the champion of the chaos gods and embraced EeeeeVillll.
For whatever reason - a misguided attempt to portray it as POV of the SoH and Loken etc - McNeil described him as much more grandiose godlike instead of terrible and scary godlike.
Wraight was following the editorial plan, and we're presumably supposed to accept that inbetween Horus decided to go spiky.
It should be noted that I don't think Wragiht respects Graham's bullshit all that much.

There's like 4 years between VS and PoH, enough for them to jam a novella or ten explaining it.
Also, reminds me that the Murder plot hook has apparently now been abandoned.

>Also, reminds me that the Murder plot hook has apparently now been abandoned.
Good callout. And also good, as going back to that would've been fucktardedly pointless.