>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Heed His words!
youtu.be/wxWgsqSf74s

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/HAMug2G
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017640RK/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?qid=1463387272&sr=8-29&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=airbrush compressor
youtu.be/e4nCScpgDhA
mordian7th.blogspot.com/search/label/Vendetta),
imgur.com/a/lM9ZO
mordian7th.blogspot.com/2009/06/charon-pattern-leman-russ-part-1.html
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?148220-Wilsonian-s-Imperial-Guard&p=2700376&viewfull=1#post2700376
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?14209-The-Imperial-Guard-Tread-head-thread/page44
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?29192-StuG-Russ-Conversion-Guide!-(pic-heavy)-CLOSED
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?14209-The-Imperial-Guard-Tread-head-thread&p=7661724&viewfull=1#post7661724
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?14209-The-Imperial-Guard-Tread-head-thread&p=2774986&viewfull=1#post2774986
z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?showtopic=13297
dakkadakka.com/gallery/859063-Socius Pattern Leman Russ Battle Tank.html
thingiverse.com/thing:2019870
shadowgyrlbrice.deviantart.com/art/Warhammer-40K-Sherman-Russ-183146172
atorgael.com/le-mediko/leman-russ/
dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/750/417230.page#5632299
dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/780/417230.page#5671956
z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=33
z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=2613
z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=10410&st=25&#entry3562668
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARL_44):
z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?showtopic=14854
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for thinned paints

What the fuck were they thinking when they sculpted this face?

Going to start work on my Thousand Sons army next week and I'm unsure of colour schemes. I used to be sold on the blue/gold but the codex and other factors made me consider a few others. Got some questions so I can order some new paints.

- How to do the Hermetic Blades scheme? It seems like a blue version of Nihilakh Oxide got put over white, but it's probably not that easy.
- Any idea on how to do a nice Sandstone and Egyptian papyrus colour?

R8 my 2nd Company Captain. Planning to magnetise his back so he can either use a jump pack or go on foot. Comments, criticism?

Drill your barrels
Pretty dirty, especially on seals
Not enough contrast, overall paintjob seems pretty messy.

Dirty look is intentional, is there any may to make it look better? Same with contrast, how do I increase it without radically changing the paint scheme?

Meme your paints - the greaves in particular look a bit streaky.

Consider either highlighting the metal or re-inking the edges around the collar and breastplate skull.

As the other user said, a generally dark and muddy job - fine if that's the plan, but it would look nice with a bit more contrast.

Of course, this is all in the context of a poorly lit too-close photo, it probably looks fine on the table.

Not that guy, but I've heard the advice that painting a nice clean paintjob and then weathering/dirtying it up afterwards gives the best effect.

Does anyone know what the official citadel paints are for Blood Ravens?

Another layer between the brown and bone would make the transition a lot smoother without making it look clean, and also give you better-appearing coverage with the bone. A light drybrush back over the silvers would lift some of it out from the oiled/dark bits. A wash over the reds followed by re-hilighting would help too.
At the moment it's all very dirty but as a result it's all flattened into one dirty layer. For pretty much all of your colours, do an extra layer between your base colour and the highest colour you've used here.

Thanks for the advice anons. Did a quick test this morning and I think a lot of the problem is with the fact that I primed black, and I had to slap the ushabti bone on pretty thick to get it to stop showing black through. I'll post a picture when I finish the test model (which was primed white), hopefully a little better lit.

In the meantime, here's some of my other dudes (with all the issues mentioned on the captain).

What colour would you recommend for the transition between the brown and the ushabti bone? And it's not visible in the pic but I did do exactly that with the silver on his shoulderpads, oiled boltgun to normal boltgun to mithril. I did it only minimally in his front but now that you mention it there's no good reason not to.

>I had to slap the ushabti bone on pretty thick

Thus making your minis look like crap. If your technique makes it look like you applied the paint with a sponge, you're using the wrong technique.

Try priming in beige if you want to use light colours. And really you should strip those dudes and paint them again, otherwise they'll drag the look of your army down.

Khorne red for special heresy points.

Kek there's nothing to drag down, they're all that I have painted so far, alongside the captain and one lieutenant. They look ok on the table so I think stripping them is a very long term goal at best.

Is there an official name for these flyer stem attachment thingiemabobs ?
Or does somebody know a place that sells these ?

Im buying some bases in advance.
Does anyone here know what bases go with the Necron ghost arc warriors?

Finally started in on trying to white gloss my /ss/ constructs for the FoP thing.

This is one coat over most of the surface.
It's difficult to tell where I've already covered when painting extremely thin white onto primed white.

Holy shit do I need to stop working at night by the light of my single desk lamp - I thought it was going ok.

As expected, the gloss doesn't show up for shit, but all those previously invisible grains and mould lines sure do.
Also, I think the gloss medium is slowly shagging my favourite layering brush to death.
Maybe the next three or four thin coats of gloss medium + Skull White will save it. It won't, stop lying to yourself and do it anyway.

>I primed black, and I had to slap the ushabti bone on pretty thick to get it to stop showing black through.
I understand that it's tiresome, and the first couple of coats will look terrible, but if you want to go light over dark and not look streaky, it has to be multiple thin coats unless you are a wizard.

It's not such a problem if your grunts stand out less due to the muddy effect - they aren't meant to be the eye-grabber.

Back in the day it was a custom mix of.. red gore and elf flesh (2:1 mix), if I'm remembering right.

50:50 brown and bone.
Nothing magic, you just want a gentler transition.

I also don't think they are bad enough to warrant stripping yet - just don't enter them into any competitions.

What do you mean?
If you want some pre-made bases for your necrons, there are literally hundreds of options - just hit eBay or your preferred online store and look at what they have.
If you're asking if there are official GW bases for them - probably, but they'll be awful pricey and look exactly like everyone else's.

I entered into a painting competition with these today. What does Veeky Forums think of these scythebois?

>What do you mean?
I just want to know which size their bases are.

They look very lovely.
I feel the hoods could use some dirt; they look just a tad too clean to me.

THE BASES COME WITH THE UNITS.

I get what you mean, how would I go about that? I've never tried something like that kind of weathering before.

I want to know what size they are!
25mm, 32mm, 40mm, 50mm?

That fridge is so clean!
Good job, user!

>Necron ghost arc warriors?
They look like standard Warriors, so 32mm bases according to the GW site. If you wanted the skellingbones on bases while in the Arc though, then pennies might just fit.

Some light washes/dabs with brown inks?

>That fridge is so clean!
Aye, I'm impressed.
Cleanest lightbox seen on Veeky Forums in a good while.
Your boys are looking around like they don't know what to do about it.

Sorry to derail /wip/, but I couldnt get an answer on any other thread. And this is kinda related to the thread.
Where do you guys get bits and pieces to use for scenery and base decoration (grass, bush)?
It there a guide to make my own?
Im mostly interested on fantasy (that can be used for games and ttrpgs) and sci-fi stuff.
Thank you.

owdooguy on youtube (Channel: LukesAPS) has a whole metric arseload of vidoes on making all sorts of terrain-making shit, from the 3D structure of the piece to the flocks and trees to put on it.

Decent instructions, cheap, and delivered with a charmingly regional accent.

Alternatively, buy it for astounding cost from your game supplier of choice.

/wip/ I put together a rhino last night and when it was all said and done (and full glued) I realized I put the back panel (the one that opens up) on backwards. The floor is whats facing out the backside of my rhino.
I'd never build a warhammer vehicile before so I must have just somehow overlooked its position. Probably focusing too much on how the front/sides looked.

Is there any way to salvage this, or should I just keep it this way. I might be able to clip off the little peg to pull it out of the hole, flip the panel and then glue the peg back into the panel while its already in the post but I don't know if that'd make it jiggly on the sides which I think would look worse..
Worst comes to worst I could just glue the whole door on the right direction but that feels like a waste of a function on the model.

Ha thanks for the comments about my fridge and dudes. I'll agree that they do look a bit out of place amidst all that clean white.

Wouldn't that just look a bit like they're just washed? I thought you meant dirt as in some sort of caked on dirt.

A wash in the right places could look pretty bitching though. Might try that out, thanks for the suggestion.

Thats just what I was looking for!
Thank you very much, user!

post pics. tell us what kind of glue you used.

Quick question:
Is it too late for me to try and bend this staff back into shape, now that it's painted? Staff is from Alarielle finecast model from warhammer fantasy.

todays progress

It was just plastic glue.
And literally the only difference between my rhino and how its supposed to look is that the back panel is backwards so that the part thats pointing inside is pointing outside.

discord.gg/HAMug2G

Wargames General is a discord server with 200 members, that's full of swedes with all the painting skill of a drunk toddler. Please help.

fuck off

Anyone know if the Wych crew in the venom kit is compatible with raiders? Seems silly to have my wych filled raiders covered in kabalites.

I'm torn between thinking his tutorials are very good and the fact that he looks and sounds like a gormless simpleton when he's doing it

Heres the bugger.

>Discords

If you're feeling crafty, you could try warming your model up with a hairdryer until you can pop the door out and back in. I wouldn't really advise it though, you might ending up warping the whole model.
Probably best to turn it into a joke and blame your resident idiot servitor.

Old warriors were 25mm but now they go on 32mm. But yes the set should come with them. Are you sneakily trying to play with paper cutouts or something and don't want to admit it? Why the obscurity?

>Where do you guys get bits and pieces to use for scenery and base decoration (grass, bush)?
Depends on what you mean by bits and pieces. If you mean general materials for building scenery like cardboard or foam them packaging materials or harware stores. You can get scrap pieces of mdf for very little money for example. If you are just looking for general information on building scenery look either in this threads OP or the 40k one and dl the How to build scenery books by GW. They'll tell you everything you need to know.
If by bit and pieces you mean something like old toys or extra bits from miniatures than that is stuff you just collect along the way. It pays to visit dollar stores/Poundland/1€ stores a visit from time to time for cheap stuff you can use as scenery.
>It there a guide to make my own?
I already mentioned the books. Which really tell you everything you need to know.
If you want video tutorials check out The Terrain Tutor on youtube. The guy has a habit of rambling on endlessly, but his stuff is very solid.

lewd

Here it is from the front if you're attracted to boxes

It's written right there on the GW website : 32mm for the warriors, 40mm for the scarab things that come with them.
Even a recaster would provide a base, though. don't they?

Acrylic is fairly flexible, usually. Primer and varnishes not so much, though. But you can always try, can't you? A bit of hairdryer and see what happens. You'll let us know if you fuck it up, won't you user?

I need some advice. We just got our yearly bonuses at work and outside of some money I'm squirreling away I was thinking of finally splurging on an air brush. I normally just hand brush everything and spray prime out of the can, but I'm planning on doing a lot of larger models this spring and summer and it would take forever to do with a tiny little brush.

Only thing is I've never used one before and I have no fucking clue what I'm supposed to be looking for but I'd like to get one that will do a good job and last a long time. Anyone have any in particular that they recommend or have had good luck with?

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017640RK/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?qid=1463387272&sr=8-29&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=airbrush compressor

This is the one I got, the initial cost is for a decent compressor and tank. It comes with an airbrush to learn on. It serves my purposes for base coating pretty well.

Still working on it but I thought I'd show my progress on my second base
Still need to do the guardsmen and apply some matte varnish

Another angle. Made the space marine an Iron Hand

And the two planes thus far. Need to thing of a pattern for the left one.

No name to my knowledge. You should just drill a hole in the flyer where that is and use a brass rod to hold the whole thing up. See

>Or does somebody know a place that sells these ?
Dragon forge sells bases, adapters and acrylic rods for flyers. But I don't think they go onto the GW bases.

For my planes which I posted I sawwed off metal rods from a shelf rack and sanded the edges.

Almost there with this big badass boy. Missiles, base and something to become glass in the cockpit.

youtu.be/e4nCScpgDhA

Is the Citadel Dry range only good for drybrushing? I understand it's thick as fuck but some of the colours are super bright which would be baller if I can thin them down and turn them into layers or glazes.

just mix 1:1 white, same thing

No it's not, nowhere near some of the tints available.

Warrior demon from creaturecaster wip. Going to be a stand in for a bloodthirster if they brong bacl daemonkin if not its just a fun piece.

they are pastel colors. Of course you can mix them.

What do you think is so special about them?

I heard they put in talc to make them better for drybrushing.

>that gaping in the armpit

Brand new to 40K. I want to build my Tau using plastic glue. Will I be able to find the right kind someplace like Hobby Lobby, and if so, will it just be labeled as plastic glue?

I don't want to make the two-hour round trip to the nearest gaming store that sells GW stuff.

even if that's the case there is nothing stopping you from mixing talcum in yourself if you want to give that a whirl.
But people have been drybrushing with regular paint just fine. I don't really see what could be conceivably improved by adding a powder into the paint.

I've no idea. I just want to know if there are any paints that are super bright like some of the dry ones. Imrik blue is beautiful, is there a layer paint like that?

Also are the gemstone technicals any good or are there better ones in other brands?

don't use plastic glue. use super glue. super glue allows for taking parts off again. plastic glue doesn't.

Heard about putting tiny BBs into metallic paint bottles to agitate them when they are shaken to keep them alive longer.
Is it true, and what do I need to know?

polystyrene cement, plastic model glue, yeah

Testors model cement is okay, and should be at those stores.

Use glass or stainless steel ones so they don't rust

Its not assembled yet just put it in the slot for the picture

Has anyone ordered any bits from puppetswar? What are the quality and material like?

Just pop the fucker off and glue it back on. I understand the appeal of a functional hatch and painted interior on your space truck, but it just won't matter on the tabletop.

When you get another couple vehicles you can make one your masterpiece with painted interiors and working window wipers and shit.

With all the Primarines faffing about, I've been tempted to dust off my inspiration folder of realistic IG: lost the aircraft subdivision (it was just putting in all wings backwards so they were swept like mordian7th.blogspot.com/search/label/Vendetta), but here's some TONKS:

>MachaRuss
imgur.com/a/lM9ZO
mordian7th.blogspot.com/2009/06/charon-pattern-leman-russ-part-1.html
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?148220-Wilsonian-s-Imperial-Guard&p=2700376&viewfull=1#post2700376

>Krieg-pattern
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?14209-The-Imperial-Guard-Tread-head-thread/page44
>Tutorial: warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?29192-StuG-Russ-Conversion-Guide!-(pic-heavy)-CLOSED
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?14209-The-Imperial-Guard-Tread-head-thread&p=7661724&viewfull=1#post7661724
warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?14209-The-Imperial-Guard-Tread-head-thread&p=2774986&viewfull=1#post2774986
z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?showtopic=13297

>Imrik blue
I'm just eyeballing it, because I don't have the citadel paints, but Vallejo Model Color's 70.844 Deep Sky Blue looks fairly similar.

And more speculative/kitbash/scratch-heavy: kinda reluctant to go balls-deep (these are more likely to cause RAEG) but they still look right:

>Sherman-pattern
dakkadakka.com/gallery/859063-Socius Pattern Leman Russ Battle Tank.html
thingiverse.com/thing:2019870
shadowgyrlbrice.deviantart.com/art/Warhammer-40K-Sherman-Russ-183146172

>Honhonhon-pattern
atorgael.com/le-mediko/leman-russ/

Noted
What about size?

and these are just NOT Russes anymore
>Bong (Churchill)-pattern: maybe a Malcador?
dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/750/417230.page#5632299
dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/780/417230.page#5671956

>MBT-pattern: maybe a Macharius if I double cannons and add MGs to each hatch...
z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=33
z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=2613
z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=10410&st=25&#entry3562668

And if I decide to go for minimal effort, I can just modify the tracks (works surprisingly well):
Realistic Russ/ARL-40K (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARL_44): DEFINITELY a Vanquisher
>z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?showtopic=14854

Ayy dude, you're a star, thank you for the effort. Really appreciate it!

Newfag here who has been having a fucking time with primer. How does this look? I’m a bit paranoid so I’d like a second opinion on if it’s fucky or not.

Its fucky alright. Rough finish that will look fucked when you paint. Happens when the spray dries on the way to the model. Spray from 6-8 inches away (about a hang-loose distance from pinky to thumb tip)

You'll have to strip him to fix the texture. Use SuperClean, the purple stuff. Make sure you wear gloves to protect your weak flesh.

Fug. I'll try to make sure it's closer next time.

Incidentally should I try using something other than corax white as a primer? (I heard it's a bit temperamental). Does Krylon work alright?

How's my SW land raider looking?

Different user here, I've been using Humbrol white matt primer for my minis and having a grand old time with it.
I can't say either way for Krylon though.

>Use SuperClean, the purple stuff.
How is that stuff compared to simple green? I'm currently using the latter, but I hear good things about SuperClean.

Do you guys bother buying colours that you can easily mix from your current inventory?

If I'm just painting a single mini, then no.
If I'm about to paint an army in that color then yes.

If i can buy a colour rather than mix it I usually do. Just to be sure it's going to be consistent, I don't have to worry about mixing it wrong.

Simple green is weak soap. Superclean is powerful chemical warfare agent that removes paint like kebob.

When it works its nice, but as you've seen, yeah. It's temperamental. Carefully monitor your distance, consider doing multiple coats to err on the side of putting on less because it loves to dry slowly and clump up detail, and check your weather conditions.

Don't have experience with other white sprays