>Trove:
pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd

>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/17e1ltFE_rjXfBHI1HRXiU5GIngrO35BlqHMD9s3M578/edit?usp=sharing
imgur.com/a/4PTOk
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15140/roleplaying-games/
roguesandreavers.blogspot.com/2014/03/campaign-frames.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvanian_(geology)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_(geology)
dragonsgonnadrag.blogspot.fi/2016/03/initial-thoughts-on-lotfp-playtest.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

DCC discussion edition.

DCC Isn't OSR edition

Ghost Tracker
docs.google.com/document/d/17e1ltFE_rjXfBHI1HRXiU5GIngrO35BlqHMD9s3M578/edit?usp=sharing

Every edition is DCC discussion edition from now on, but it's still not OSR

Not using my brilliant images. Shame.

They'll get a turn. OP didn't even wait for autosage.

Satanic user here. I was drunk when I made the logo and it was bothering me how the text was crooked, so I fixed it

Lots of people use Basic D&D, what about Expert D&D

Or better yet, does anyone here play using BECMI?

I think I'm getting better at this photoshop stuff.

B/X is Basic/Expert.

Do Dungeon World next!

Ein game, ein ruleset, ein fuhrer.

Do Numenera eventually. It's got a d20, uses d6's for similar stuff to OSR, and is all about exploring dungeons and avoiding combat.

>14 replies above me
>3 actually concern gameplay
>11 are just shitposting

Could you do one with a shot of the 2018 Men's Olympic Curling podium?

Huh. We sound more on-task than normal.

>Could you do one with a shot of the 2018 Men's Olympic Curling podium?
Sounds about right.

OK. On topic. Go to your monster manual or book of choice. Take 2 random monsters and mash them together.

All right, last one.

>imgur.com/a/4PTOk

Shrieking Terror from 3.5's Monster Manual 3 plus a standard beholder. Half hydra, half vargouille, half beholder. 150% bullshit.

Oh dear lord. Please no.

Hot Springs Island, Muttering Serpent
>15' snake, has your face. Telepathic, mirror-shiny.
Herd Animal
>giraffe
So it's a big tall beast that, as a defense mechanism, has the face of anything looking at it. It can also hear you thoughts and run away.

Godspeed, user. But if I may ask for one last boon...

Mantifisker (No. Appearing 1-4.)
(AC 4; HD 3+3; MV 20', Fl 10 (E), Jp 40'; #AT 3; D 2-8/2-8/1-8; SA Adhesive trapline, leap, tail spikes; Save T3; Ml 12; AL N)
1-in-5 chance to noticing its trapline at 10', counts as 6 HD and STR 18/00 versus trapped foes, lifts traps foes 15'/round.
Leap attack (as charge attack) with +2 to-hit, +1 damage, but -2 initiative and +1 AC. Throw tail spikes as light crossbow 4/day.

So I'm new here. I've been playing for only a year so I don't have any experience with the old-school games. What defines an OSR game? Can you give me some good examples?

>What defines an OSR game?
Ah, way to stir the hornets' nest lad

>Can you give me some good examples?
OD&D, B/X, AD&D
Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, BX Advanced

This is fucking stupid. It results in thread-splitting and bickering, and a reduction of useful content. You may just being trying to needle the overly uptight, but everybody gets caught in the crossfire. I'm not an OSR purist and think we should absolutely discuss OSR-adjacent or OSR-inspired shit in these threads. I don't really care if folks define DCC as OSR or not (I guess I'd consider it an OSR game but not a retroclone, but don't give much of a fuck either way), and think debating it is pointless. But starting a thread up with a DCC image and an invitation to shitpost predictably leads to a bunch of shitposting and a significant lowering of the quality of /osrg/. And maybe that was the point. If you're just trying to troll and wreck people's fun, well done. I mean, I wouldn't be too proud. In an uncontrolled, anonymous forum like this, it's pretty easy to be an asshole and ruin shit, but you still managed to do it. If, on the other hand, you aren't actually trying to destroy /osrg/, then please stop. I couldn't care less if you want to have a slap-fight with the fundies, but moderate, reasonable people are caught in the middle and I'm sick of the collateral damage.

That is _ r e a l l y _ messy line of discussion.

Mechanically compatibility is a key factor, but few can agree on where to draw the line.

First and foremost, OSR is about doing one thing (dungeoncrawling) well.

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15140/roleplaying-games/
roguesandreavers.blogspot.com/2014/03/campaign-frames.html

>Ah, way to stir the hornets' nest lad
To be fair to the other user I started looking around here after getting invited to a Labyrinth Lord game and enjoying myself, and when I poked my head in the last couple of threads it was just a bunch of anons losing their goddamn minds.

Broadly, TSR-era D&D and its derivatives (modern "retroclones" like Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry). Where exactly you draw the line between honest-to-god OSR games and games that change shit enough to only be OSR-adjacent or -inspired is the subject of much pointless debate.

Quit judging my art.

>pointless
It isn't pointless, far to many modules are now becoming extremely mechanically incompatible and I'm one of the fucking retards that considered DCC OSR.

Your "art" has repercussions, also, your on Veeky Forums, what'd you expect?

Honestly, you'd have better luck trawling the archives to get a better idea of what's going on.

How many OSR modules exist, and how many of them are mechanically incompatible? What games are they the most incompatible with?

I expect graphs and charts, user.

>when I poked my head in the last couple of threads it was just a bunch of anons losing their goddamn minds.
Indeed, we haven't had a good couple of threads.

I'm surprised more people aren't afraid of what Raggi is planning, It's going to fracture the OSR community even further.

Personally I have little interest in Raggi's stuff, but at the same time it's not like original flavor LotFP is going to poof into the aether once he gets the new game out, so I'm not really worried.

If your module doesn't say LL or OSRIC on the cover, it's not OSR. I don't care if you refer put Conan DOOM tokens or The GLoG MD in the damn thing, so long as you put them colored boxes that I can ignore without disrupting the module.

You got it backwards: one weird pol poster started losing his shit about DCC (and Jews), and then this guy started making images like this mocking him. Point is, the shitflinging was already happening; can't blame the images. In any case, it seems to be over for the moment.

So then you are just a selfish prick who's out to wreck shit without caring about the damage it does to /osrg/?

>It isn't pointless, far to many modules are now becoming extremely mechanically incompatible
And how does bickering about it change this? You don't have to use the shit that's incompatible. You can even point out games that are incompatible or require too much conversion when people ask for recommendations, but ranting anytime one of these games gets discussed is asinine and has no upside.

/pol/posting does get banned outside of /pol/, believe it or not. Veeky Forums isn't entirely gone off the deep end.

This one was kinda hard, user.

Whatever he's planning, it'll probably be a rehash of The Black Hack and co. and Dungeon World.

If me making goofy images is damaging this community, then it is a weak community.

user, you are amazing. Thank you.

>You got it backwards: one weird pol poster started losing his shit about DCC (and Jews), and then this guy started making images like this mocking him. Point is, the shitflinging was already happening; can't blame the images.
That guy was an idiot, but he did far less damage to the threads than the guy trying to mock him. Keep controversy (and anime shit) out of the OP. It isn't funny and the has negative repercussions that you can just look back over the last few threads to see.

>How many OSR modules exist
More than 400
>and how many of them are mechanically incompatible
All of them

>then it is a weak community.
I'm surprised you posted this, I honestly thought you've been around these parks for a decent while.

>If me making goofy images is damaging this community, then it is a weak community.
It's anonymous, so all you have to do is key up a small percentage of the people and everything goes to shit. Please stop.

The both of you can suck my dick, and I will keep making all the OSR images I want.

But you and that crazy guy are the only ones getting upset. Everyone else recognizes them as well done funny jokes, their humour coming from the fact that they're obviously not OSR (that'sthejoke.gif). Other than pointing out once in a while that they're technically well done, we're talking past them and having a normal thread. What "damage" are we talking about here?

The fact that we've had competing threads proves that wrong, and even assuming you're right about who's ultimately to blame, poking the spazz and getting him riled up to shitpost results in shitposting, so maybe don't do that. Also, this thread is supposed to be about OSR game commentary, not troll art.

>How many OSR modules exist
At least 6.
>and how many of them are mechanically incompatible?
Depends on your zoom level. Close-up, none. From a distance, all.
>I expect graphs and charts, user.
Done.

Also... guys. Come on.

>I'm surprised more people aren't afraid of what Raggi is planning

No idea what he's planning, but I hope it include making his modules to use the historical setting he wants to put in them for anything more than a few paragraphs at the beginning.

I don't think I'll ever get over how badly The God That Crawls does this.
>Barbossa: It was the first court what imprisoned Calypso, and we will be the ones to set her free, and in her gratitude she will see fit to grant us boons.
>Jack Sparrow: Whose boons? Your boons? Utterly deceptive twaddlespeak, says I.
>Barbossa: If ye have a better alternative, please... share.

>one weird pol poster started losing his shit about DCC (and Jews),

>everyone on the other side of the screen is one person

There were at least three of us you're lumping together here. Me, someone(s?) else argung the same basic line as me, and the /pol/ dude.
I guess if you presume we were all one guy it would constitute "losing his mind."

I can use my powers for good!

For extra flavor, change the
>18+ explicit content
to
>0% implicit content

So much good!!

Hey, that IS good! What LotFP book is that?

I'm sorry we were mocking you, user.

Leave him alone, he a good boy!

>50% dissociated mechanics
I'm just impressed at your powers. That's some fine work.

I dunno, is someone getting upset about OC because it's not from the TSR era a good boy?

I don't want the imagination and innovation to stiffle.

You're misunderstanding I didn't say all people who don't like DCC are crazy. I said only one guy lost his mind over it, and it was crazy guy. Plenty of people have always said here that they don't like DCC or whatever game, and
no one cares. I don't care who likes what game, when they explain why and don't try to bring the Protocols of the Elders of Zion into why it's a bad game.

The joke was supposed to be changing Explicit to Implicit, you nerd

A lot of people in theses threads only engagement with the OSR community comes from Veeky Forums, they aren't aware at how broken and fragile the community is, somebody in a earlier thread explained just how paranoid OSR developers are that they'll get savaged by the g+/RPGnet horde.

If you compare a B/X character and a DCC character, which is stronger?

I'd just like a quick off-the-cuff answer
Not trolling, please no bully

>Mississippian Period
>Pennsylvanian Period
What manner of burger nonsense is this?

If your community is so fragile a few joke photos ruin it, then you deserve it.

Nice one

Well yeah, but /osrg/ isn't that fragile. We're not /Exg/

DCC characters are generally stronger than Basic characters of the same level. I'm not sure how correct it really is but I remember seeing someone say that a level 1 DCC PC is about equivalent to a level 3 Basic PC, as a rule of thumb.

I figure the more warning labels we put on this thread, the better.
Do you have a flag?
No flag, no era. It's in the rules.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvanian_(geology)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_(geology)

The more you know.

>No idea what he's planning
He's planning a complete and total split from OSR/Retro-clone, zero compatibility.

Fair, but I'd consider
>Zero content
to be a pretty good warning label for a general thread

Thank you user

That might not go far enough. It's possible we produce negative content by discouraging others from creating it.

That's pretty surprising. Has he written about his thoughts on why, or have just the rules leaked?

I know

Do people use the Expert part?

DCC has some great modules, but they're hard to convert to B/X style games. A patient user timed themselves doing this in a previous thread.

That said, are there any articles or DCC fans that can explain how one would go about doing this? For example is there any simple way to convert monster stats and saving throws?

It makes a lot of sense based on his philosophy but so far just rules leaks.

It's the kind of showy move that would make him a lot of sales.

>or have just the rules leaked?
I've got no clue if they've leaked but a lot of people have access to them and discussed them and in a previous thread somebody mentioned a lot of the private feedback he got was "No, this is bad".

>telepathic giraffe
Oh dear lord.

That's where the wilderness and hex crawl rules are, and they're restated in Labyrinth Lord, so yes.

Although personally I don't think Cook writes as clearly and concisely as Moldvay.

Trying to innovate gets the people who think that anything newer than 30 years old is bad in a BiG tozzy. And doesn't make sense for OSR. But they're Not the ones buying the new stuff, they have all the OG TSR stuff.

>The division between Pennsylvanian and Mississippian comes from North American stratigraphy. ... In Europe, the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian are one more-or-less continuous sequence of lowland continental deposits and are grouped together as the Carboniferous Period.
Burger nonsense, in other words! Good to know, thanks user.

>It's the kind of showy move that would make him a lot of sales.
I very much doubt it. I think it would tank his business, t bh.

>a lot of people have access to them
No, those are the playtest documents for the next future edition of LotFP. It's understandable that you'd make this mistake, but those rules were actually intended to allow Raggi to keep writing modules that were 100% compatible with B/X while still playing significantly differently from B/X themselves. However, people thought even that was going too far, so it's hard to believe that Raggi responded by committing to a totally incompatible game, as claims.

He's the most successful third party, and all of that is from show business and shock factor. It might have long-term negatives, but I doubt it would tank him.
>Source: literally his own written words

I've heard some folks' rule of thumb is that 1 level in DCC is roughly equal to 2 levels in B/X.

>Implicit
>not Complicit

>Has he written about his thoughts on why, or have just the rules leaked?
There was a playtest for the LotFP society thingy a couple years ago

dragonsgonnadrag.blogspot.fi/2016/03/initial-thoughts-on-lotfp-playtest.html

So, elves and dwarves are supposed to be alien beings, right? That's why we have race-as-class and level limits. But how should this actually come up in play? Hints on how to help an elf player be like a spooky elf would be appreciated. And frankly, anything that makes dwarves interesting. Yes I've read Arnold's stuff, that only made dwarves more boring and harder to play

It's been asked before, but the only answer we got was "god, what are you, retarded?" which was less than useful.

I hate myself.

For myself, I just take into account the planned level of the adventure and drop and replace the closest equivalent monsters from a standard bestiary. Much easier than a direct 1-to-1 conversion; it's not like we're short on old-school critters.

Seems sensible enough.

Has he gone too far? Tune in next week.

Have you done the Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic yet?

>couple years ago
So Raggi's been sitting on this "hot new edition" of LotFP for years now?

Short answer, no. Long answer, sort of? I basically see them as sources of inspiration. AC is the same in both systems (thank god) but you're right, all the dice and saving throws make it go nuts. HD is the same but attack bonuses are fucked. Fortunately, most retroclones have some section where they detail what to-hit bonuses (or THAC0, whatever) monsters should get at HD levels. Morale can be derived by modifying 7 by their bonus or penalty to their WILL save. If you start seeing lots and lots of action dice, that probably means you should give them a multiple attacks. As for saves, if they have a good FORT save, make them save as a fighter of equivalent level, WIL make them save as an MU, DEX they save as thief or cleric. If they've got multiple good saves, make 'em save as a dwarf.