>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
Tell about your favorite/most memorable NPCs and baddies. How did they meet their end?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/urGciyA6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How can I make a non-edgy hexblade? I like the subclass mechanically, but it just reeks of edge.

There was this dude called Mirae. We were in the middle of investigating a city falling into ruin for the mafia activities within it. We stood in this square debating what we should do when suddenly an iguana scampered into view. It flicked its tongue at us and then continued on its way. We almost brushed it off until we heard "Balthazar. BALTHAZAR. Get back over here you cocksucker," at which point a vaguely unattractive, pudgy fellow shuffled his way across the square, followed by a herd of iguanas. He wore a leather jacket with a very nicely embroidered "Ladies Love Lizards" on the back.

He continued occasionally showing up, usually at times we were contemplating something or debating a solution to a problem.

Just don't play him with edge.

Make a back story where you're not an edgelord?

I'd play the edge/darkness for laughs. Instead of brooding, have the character be gloomy and mopey, like Eeyore or Marvin the Paranoid Android.

Or just play them like a regular person, nothing inherent in the warlock contract set up requires edge

Just done dm'ing the first session in our new campaign.
It was so cool, but now I'm still fucking excited even 2 hours after it's over. Had a blast in my homegym, ate a ogre meal, and even now I feel very energized, mind rushing and all.

How do you guys deal with post-session adhd ?

>How do you guys deal with post-session adhd ?
Seize the moment and write down as many ideas for the future as you can.

What I liked to do was write little in character recaps of the adventure, like one of the PCs/NPCs diary.

Great idea thanks, gonna do that and prepare some more stuff.
The recaps are already taken in charge though, I have motivated players and they all write a small recap of the events from their character's PoVs.
We did that the previous time (LMoP) and it led to a pretty neat fan-book.

I need some ideas, /5eg/.

So my party has a plot McGuffin safely stowed away in a Demiplane that the bad guys have no idea about. The bad guys need this McGuffin to complete their goals (They have 2 of the 3 McGuffins). What would be some actions that the bad guys could take to get the McGuffin in their possession?

They have a few people who can teleport using plane shift or teleportation circle (They do know of one teleportation circle into the city which has access to the Demiplane), but they don't have the Demiplane spell or knowledge of that demiplane. They are also very persuasive and can usually manipulate weaker/evil folks to do stuff for them, but normally the stronger and smarter folks don't. Any ideas?

Has anyone used D&D Beyond at your table? I saw it on Critical Role. I tried it last night and it was wonderful! All of my players had the entire game at their fingertips! Combat went so smoothly.

I definitely give it a d20/20

Reposting from last thread: How you guys go about a prehistoric campaign or time travel?

>prehistoric
probably by taking a lot of inspiration from dark sun. metal is rare and forged metals are even rarer. all weapons, armor, tools, etc. are made from stone and bone.

Just buy varg's game. Apparently it's pretty okay, lots of materials to deal with.

Dave the Barbarian with Lula being your patron. She was thrown out of Shadowfell for being a dumbass drama queen and needs you to make her popular again

Have the Sunsword be your Patron.

>manipulate an NPC friendly to the party into a situation in which they have access to the Demiplane
>give them some knowledge of the McGuffin
>give them a Sending Stone and some bullshit magical tracking ring concealed with Nystul's Magic Aura
>when they see the McGuffin they tell the baddies with the Stone
>baddies teleport into the demiplane
>battle in a demiplane for the McGuffin

Favorite demiplane?

Well, cutting out the metal's the most important thing.

You'd probably want to not allow wizards, clerics, and probably not warlocks either.

If this is the most memorable NPC, I shudder to imagine how interminably boring your group must be.

>>manipulate an NPC friendly to the party into a situation in which they have access to the Demiplane

This is hard because the Demiplane is attached to the back end of a Kings throne. I can't think of a reason why anyone would be allowed by this throne for any purpose besides the King and his trusted servants.

The one I made with 300 Symbols of Death as a last resort.

Speaking of Warlocks and Fiends;

What are some typical conditions of a Fiend Pact? What the fuck do they want

Souls. Demons want souls. Probably the eat them or something. Everytime you kill a mook with your eldritch blast, your balor sugar daddy gets a little bit of sugar. Simple as that.

Should the player who "starts" a fight get first turn first round? Basically the party are arguing with some group of whatever creatures. One player decides shit's not getting anywhere and attacks. Going by just initiative I feel it's awkward if the player who suddenly decides to attack winds up doing their turn later than several other players, even if turns are supposed to be "simultaneous". Any opinions on letting the starter of the fight get first turn, only on the first round?

I normally let the player finish whatever action starts the combat, yes. Sort of a pseudo-surprise round I guess. Regular initiative afterwards.

I'm a fan of the ulterior motive, some may want access to the Material Plane so they could take over a small section of the world or a city.

>Should the player who "starts" a fight get first turn first round?

It depends. If they surprised their opponents then they're already getting "first round" because of the way initiative works.

If not, then this is where initiative comes into play. Initiative is to determine how fast your reflexes are and how soon you act in a round. An opponent who rolled higher on initiative even though the player was the one initiating combat basically means that the opponent saw the player getting ready to pull their weapon and/or attack, but because of their reflexes were able to react first.

I think it's edgy to you because you're framing it as a person selling their soul to kill others (via a weapon), but if you frame it as being a defensive contract or something for the greater good and you don't make your character apathetic about it, then it won't come off as edgy.

For example, if a bunch of orcs were raiding your village and you were this frail young man, incapable of doing anything to stop your loved ones from being raped or murdered, you'd be a prime candidate for a patron looking to make a contract. Maybe you're a very charismatic, but weak, boy who's always needed others to help you, and you're constantly plagued by these voices telling you to be a man or fight for your right to survive, and one day this raid happens and that voice reappears, and you beg it to help you, and you suddenly find the strength to fight off the orcs. And now you're indebted to some dark voice, but you finally have the ability to return the favors people always paid you.

>Baddies kidnap one of the players and threatens the life of someone they care about (NPC or other PC) if they don't tell them. (If it's an NPC they off them anyway because hey, they're bad guys and it's just an NPC).

>Bad guy warlock or other type of caster scrys their dreams or thoughts for the information

>Boring way, bad guys discover that it's in another realm through a sick ritual. They must face the players to learn where the entry to the plane is located.

Play the character as friendly, energetic and outgoing. Your patron is the gloomy one, and you're the silver lining. Use the spectre ability to make a friend. Pester them with questions, listen to their stories, and basically be the best person they could meet on the last day of their life.

I don't like rewarding the first person shouting out their attack because it encourages a mindset of preemptive strikes and rewards players that are quick to fight instead of talk.

Han shot first, because he rolled higher initiative.

Not apart from the usual surprise. That's what initiative is for

If WotC would start releasing patch notes to fix shitty subclasses and stuff this edition would be perfect.
Oh and also we need a barbarian that transforms when he rages.

Would you let me roll a cleric of Vecna with the Arcana domain instead of Knowledge?

What do you like to see your clerics during typical combat scenario?

I'm a late addition to my lvl10+ group and I'm about to up my cleric dps with Booming Blade, Spiritual Weapon, and Spirit Guardians. Obviously I'll still be keeping an eye out for tactical banishes and healing.

Hi had an idea for a pair of characters, be they npcs or otherwise.

A little girl necromancer who raises her brother's corpse as a nigh unkillable scimitar wielding , mask wearing ghoul.

Basically it's jason voorhes and a loli keeping him on a leash

>Baddies kidnap one of the players and threatens the life of someone they care about (NPC or other PC) if they don't tell them. (If it's an NPC they off them anyway because hey, they're bad guys and it's just an NPC).
I was thinking about doing this, but I can't really think of a time this would be appropriate or work. I have been thinking about taking an NPC close to the party, but that really won't give much info.

>Bad guy warlock or other type of caster scrys their dreams or thoughts for the information
You can do this? How?

>Boring way, bad guys discover that it's in another realm through a sick ritual. They must face the players to learn where the entry to the plane is located.

Hmm, though boring this could be done. They have a few bodies they could sacrifice to find this item's location, but the difficult part is trying to figure out how they would get there through the guards.

No because I think the Arcana Domain is dumb and needlessly strong.

if playing a frontline cleric, then you already got your bases covered. booming blade and spirit guardians are your bread and butter. consider tossing a guiding bolt or two if you have a rogue who is struggling to get off sneak attacks.

try and save your heals for when an ally is down rather than to top their hit points off. especially at 10th level, there's no difference between healing an ally from 1 hit point to 2 hit points and 1 hit point to 10 hit points. there IS a big difference between 0 and 1 hit point.

this isn't to say you should be super stingy on heals. if you think a cure wounds will keep the barbarian from getting knocked out on his next turn, go at it. but keep in mind how easy it is to let the enemy mooks struggle to play hero wack-a-mole while you still have your heals up.

how is it any stronger than, say, life or war cleric?

front line support
i fucking hate what videogames have done to the cleric archetype over the years turning it into some healslut

What are the best adventures for lvl1 characters? Not Phandelver though, I've played and DMd that already and want to do something new.

Doesn't matter if it's not for 5e or older editions or other games so long as it's relatively easy to adapt for 5e. I want to run an interesting adventure for my siblings when I'm home for easter, none of them ever played rpgs. I'll be home for 10 days so I need something that can be finished within 3-6 sessions.

>You can do this? How?

Okay, so Detect Thoughts allows someone to read thoughts of a create for 30 minutes, however they must be within 30 feet. I'm sure this evil troupe has access to some magic that may detach a sorcerer from their physical body and cast as if they are in the room they are scrying on. This might leave a mark of some sort, for example a sigil that suggests some sort of necromancy or whatever. In detect thoughts, there is this bit:

>As an action, you can either shift your attention to another creature's thoughts or attempt to probe deeper into the same creature's mind. If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails, you gain insight into its reasoning (if any), its emotional state, and something that looms large in its mind (such as something it worries over, loves, or hates).

Since they are sleeping, this might be quite a bit easier.

Otherwise, a bad guy troupe suddenly steps out a portal and while one wizardy dude restrains a player magically, another reads their mind. This is while the rest of the party fights some big ole baddies.

Probably because Arcane Abjuration is basically "Turn and Rebuke Everything", and their level 17th feature is "become a level 17 wizard".

I'm having a blast with OoTA, but also Death House

Hmm.
That's kinda trickey. But are your siblingw the type to pout when their characters die?

>arcana cleric is the best melee cleric because it can get the SCAG cantrips for free and potent spellcasting applies to them
Lads, how did it come to this?

SCAG cantrips, free debuff dispels, and high level wizard spells.

SCAG cantrips were a mistake.

Experiences, secrets, etc..
Adventurers by their nature tend to get up to all kinds of nonsense that a Fiend Patron might not be able to get at themselves, which might provide some advantageous knowledge that they could use to get one over on a rival.

For example, I had a Fiendlock who'd made a Pact with Anarazel, who simply wanted ideas for newer, more cruel traps and dungeons down in his Tunnels, as well as knowledge of hidden wealth he might later get at.

>I'm sure this evil troupe has access to some magic that may detach a sorcerer from their physical body and cast as if they are in the room they are scrying on

No, I did not even think there is magic that could do this? I mean I could say "They just can", but then my players would call foul that these guys have the ability to do whatever they want. They would also ask why they did not do this before and kill them a long time ago. What spell did you have in mind for this detach body thing?

The detect thoughts part is good though.

>Otherwise, a bad guy troupe suddenly steps out a portal and while one wizardy dude restrains a player magically, another reads their mind. This is while the rest of the party fights some big ole baddies.

Funny thing... after this happened I think I can get away with this bit. They are a bit busy dealing with undead right now so I think I should wait until they finish dealing with that.

I seriously hate them.

Get revenge on an old girlfriend by tracking down and killing their subject, then doing this whenever they get another one.

>remove BB and GFB
Is SCAG good now?

Maybe Sunless Citadel from Yawning Portal? Sounds like it'd be a good fit. Death House is cool too, but probably won't take longer than 2 sessions, and the beginning can be "boring" if your siblings are younger players.

Eh, it still has PDK in it.

No, it still has Undying Warlock and Bladesinger

Yeah but it also has Bladesinger and Crown Oath, so it washes out

pastebin.com/urGciyA6

What do you think of this wip had mebrew?

IMO EK desperately needed a melee cantrip

How do you deal with an edgelord as a fellow player?

What's so bad about the SCAG cantrips? I like em. Bladesinger is fun too.

laugh at them

Make fun of them in character.

Totem already does that. You just have to crank it up to eleven.

Talk to them

I mean, you could argue that this is strong necromancy that cannot just be cast willy nilly, and it doesn't even allow them to cast any strong spells from this "realm" due to their only half corporeal state. That's a bit of a stretch still if your players wouldn't accept the other bit.

Otherwise, one of their necromancers' soul has literally just been encased in a beautiful trinket that is given to a player. This would put them within 30 feet of them, but not put them in the material plane (not really, anyway). It could also just be a small glass orb that records dreams they can steal, or constantly casts scrying which is then viewed by bad mcwizardman.

I blame gishfags, they ruin everything they touch.
gr8b8m8

So my friend complained that Srocerors in 5e are useless until lvl 5.

Is this by design, or is he just whining? I did look at the Sorceror list, and it does feel a bit lacking to me, but I don't play magic users generally, so maybe it's just that it looks crummy compared to the martial options list?

But it's not bait. I think the SCAG cantrips are cool and balanced. I don't think there's anything wrong with them at all.

Edgelord IRL i ignore them, it comes with playing DnD let's be honest. Edgelord ingame I play along as my character, it's just roleplay. Every party has an edgy drow rogue with a dark background and a hooded cloak.

Hasn't really worked, like goddamn dudes I just want to be a hero

>Tell about your favorite/most memorable NPCs and baddies. How did they meet their end?
Told this story before.

Our party met this quirky lady who always seemed so unnaturally chipper.
DM enjoyed playing her and we had fun interacting with her.
We'd all groan in that way you do at a parent when we heard her distinct "heyyy folks!".

Initially she wanted us to recover artifacts from ruins. Sometimes it panned out and other times it didn't. However, she always paid if we delivered and sometimes if we didn't.
So we kept taking jobs from her. We pilfered dungeons, tombs and even ended liberating some artifacts from their living owners.

It even got to the point that we would show her our valuable things and she would appraise them, identify them or direct us to someone who could.

I had a suspecision that she was a thieves guild member or something.
But she never had us kill anyone, only acquire and retrieve items or explore "lost ruins" and report back.
She was always happy, generous and had stable work for us.
On top of that she always "knew a guy" everywhere and hooked us up.

Eventually the 4 party members concluded she was evil.
During a session they decided to agree to a meeting to confront her.
I voted against it as I didn't want to ruin a good thing.
Party members subdued me in PvP.
They ended up meeting with her, got the jump and killed her + 6 servants.

Party felt so happy with themselves for proactively taking out who they thought was a potential bbeg.
The DM just looked so deflated. She'd been a staple NPC for 4ish years.

The sessions ended up fizzling out.
Other players complained it wasn't fun anymore since the acquisition jobs disappeared.

OotA isn't a short one though.

I've played Death house and it's pretty scary and one of my sisters is 10 so I probably won't go with that. She's not too easily scared by general monsters but ghosts of dead children would probably freak her out.

I'll check Sunless Citadel out but 2 sessions is pretty short.

Nah, well maybe the 10 year old but I can always fudge some rolls for her and I can roll up new characters pretty quickly so it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I was thinking maybe I'd try some of the old AD&D adventures but there's so many. Against the Cult of the Reptile God was recommended to me but I haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

nah they aren't useless until 5 but they do get a big power boost at 5 because then they can do stuff like twin haste

Is this out?

>Otherwise, one of their necromancers' soul has literally just been encased in a beautiful trinket that is given to a player. This would put them within 30 feet of them, but not put them in the material plane (not really, anyway). It could also just be a small glass orb that records dreams they can steal, or constantly casts scrying which is then viewed by bad mcwizardman.

Hm okay... I'm not sure how to get this on the party as they are hypersensitive to trusting people right now. I don't think they would randomly accept a trinket from a random stranger and even if they did they have an artificer who would just cast Identify and find out there is a soul in there.

1e Tomb of Horrors.

wow fuck is that text and logo abysmally ugly, 0/10 would not want it to be released

Well is everyone else doing what you're doing or is it just you? Also if that's the case be the hero, even if you're doing it alone. Stand up to him when he does things your character would be repulsed by, pretty much grow a spine and be a hero even if it means stopping him.

Hm. I'll look into some old stuff.
But really with easter being pretty far off you could probably homebrew some stuff.

Is there any more concrete information on what's going to be in the Mordekainen's Tome of Foes?

Planar suff

That's pretty much what I have been doing

>Tiger. While raging, you can add 10 feet to your long jump distance and 3 feet to your high jump distance. The spirit of the tiger empowers your leaps.
This is so fucking much worse than the other options what.

>Elk. While you're raging and aren't wearing heaving armor, your walking speed increases by 15 feet. The spirit of the elk makes you extraordinarily swift.
Eagle gives you a bonus action dash in addition to another benefit why take this?

What a terrible character sheet

Then keep doing it, either one of you will back down or kill the other unless the party/DM stops it.

Sorcerers are underpowered when not using Spell Points. Just be careful to limit his Shield uses to X times per long rest.

only real benefit to elk over eagle is if you are already using your bonus action for, say, PAM

My patron demands that I dress fancy as fuck everywhere I go. it's like a love/hate relationship with me as a gold digger tiefling and my patron an old grumpy businessman who buys flashy outfits for me to wear

Useless? Not at all. They're powerful simply by virtue of being a full caster. Weaker than every other caster to the extent of being an inferior choice to them all? Yeah, unless you want a twin buff bot that does less damage than a Warlock they're pretty shit.

Can I start with a mask as adventuring gear? to cover my face

Fighter (Champion) 6 + Barbarian (Tiger Totem)

imagine the leaps

Bladesinger is lame though, it's not nearly as strong as people seem to think.
Crown Oath is cool.

Can I start with a thumb up my ass? to cover my thumb

My patron is a plane-hopping entity of sounds that only wants me to sing and gather noise for it and perform a song each day. My character is a bright shiny happy star who does her best to bring happiness to everyone.

I have a Hexblade who does not even know his patron or what they want, as he got into the pact by complete accident by thinking it was some magically induced fever dream.

Then take 9 levels of warlock for otherworldly leap.