/40krpg/ Vento Aureo Edition

Making a custodes campaign about invading and liberating a demon system. What missions and encounters would you suggest?

Previous Thread: For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Homebrews:
>The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/
>Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.12) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/xtutxsxmo1k7foo/
>Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x
>The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

What sort of missions is an Only War party intended to take part in?

What exp/gear/regiment?

Starting.

Favoured weapons? Regiment spec?

Is that inquisitor standing on a box or is the Custodes a Custodelet?

Yeah, the regimental type dictates a lot of what they'll be deployed for.

Personally, though, my group typically uses OW for when their Inquisitorial group needs to call in more muscle. They tend to end up putting down native rebellions or dealing with serious warp breaches.

It's just he's a Chadquisitor

The party is split up between infantry and mechanized. Favoured weapon is Heavy Bolter though.

Sounds like a fairly serious assault force. Retaking a bombed out city or overrunning trenches might be a good start. If you're the DM, try look at WWI battles and just scale them up.

Cultists/Orks/Nids/Eldars infantry-heavy enemy groups with light vehicle support. Street fighting and fortress assaults will be your bread and butter.

I don't see how only a singular squad would get sent out on this.

Combined arms. You're doing it wrong if your squad isn't part of the giant battle most of the time.

"Alright, lads, you're off to take the old spring factory. The water tower on the roof is still standing, so we'll have overwatch from there to move the tank down the main road another three blocks."

is right. All battles are made up of single squads.

First off, it's "daemon" not "demon".

Secondly, why would you want to liberate a daemon infested system? Unless by liberate you mean a liberal helping of EXTERMINATUS!

>inquisitor and a custodes
Together they fight crime.

>it's "daemon" not "demon".
Oh please, GW
>why would you want to liberate a daemon infested system?
To make a point to the entire Imperium that it can be done and chaos can be pushed back. Imagine the moral boost. Also strategic location.

Who would be bad cop and who would be good cop?

>Making a custodes campaign about invading and liberating a demon system.

Just send in the grey knights.

It's 40k, so just two guys trying to out-badcop eachother.

>To make a point to the entire Imperium that it can be done and chaos can be pushed back. Imagine the moral boost. Also strategic location.

But once a planet has been completely lost to a daemonic incursion, isn't it considered too late to save said world?

It would make more sense if you were trying to counter a daemonic invasion that is currently in it's initial stages.

As apposed to trying to retake a system that would at this point have been swallowed into the warp.

Maybe the entire battlegroup has been found to be lacking in faith and told to go into the Eye of Terror and not come back until they've purged 200 worlds

custodes are cooler

How many augments does your character currently have? Admech/hereteks need not reply.

Not much point in doing so. If the deamons had some time nothing short of exterminatus helps as the world is a deamon by then.
If not - send Grey Knights and psy titans.

psy titans belong to the custodes and sisters of silence

The void master in my group is looking to eventually become one with the ship. In the short term, I think he's planning to pick up augmentecist soon.

Just the mandatory ones, subskin, vitae, blackbone.

I'm planning on running an Only War game, and I'm planning on setting the campaign around a Space Hulk, and since it's going to be space heavy, I gotta ask. What's the general vibe between the Imperial Navy and the Guard? Does it have that Starship Troopers thing going on, where the Navy officers are snobby to the Guard, or are they kinda bros with eachother? What kinds of interactions can the players expect when they have to talk to a regular crew member?

How do you fucking kill Rak'Gol as a Rogue Trader crew? They seem like opponents that would give a Deathwatch team trouble.

just buy heavy weapons nigga haha what are you poor

Which would work if Rak'Gol attacked in small numbers. They don't. So while the explorers may be able to take them on one on one, maybe even two on one at high ranks, the xenos horde will overwhelm them. In addition, heavy weapons are very difficult to use in the cramped corridors of void craft. Finally, while the explorers may hold their own, their crew will not. Shotguns, lasguns, even bolters will have barely have any effect on them.

I forget that some peeps have to deal with mere humans as crew. What's stopping you from equipping your crew with meltaguns or plasma guns and pressure carapace then, besides you don't trust them? Just keep firing with the biggest stuff you can afford. And besides, the Beast Protocol is always a good alternative.

>the xenos horde will overwhelm them
>a horde
>overwhelming anyone

>As apposed to trying to retake a system that would at this point have been swallowed into the warp.
Most of the time new demon worlds aren't swallowed into the warp. Calliban was just fine in realspace for example. Also transporting necron pylons. Worked for chaos, should work for everyone else.

You can do what my group did.

Since human soldiers get scared of Rak'gol, use non-human ones. Buy swathes of weaponized Stryxis Vat laborers (have twin-linked lasguns installed on them or something) and fight them in a large scale combat scenario. Use the Only War squad system, Rogue Trader Mass Combat system in "Battlefleet Koronus" or the Black Crusade horde system. Then just grind them down with your fearless, disposable troops that follow your any order. I'd recommend about 10,000 Stryxis Vat laborers to every 1,500 Rak'gol just to be safe.

You haven't played a game with a normal Rak'gol attack have you?

I'm not sure if that's amazing or retarded.

he means ruleswise, hordes are awful at attacking other hordes.

Good Synthmuscle. Which is good because I rolled shit for Strength. Fucking rolled stats

They are pretty awful at living through anything too. A fucking flamer/metalstorm heavy bolter would just delete them.

Does anyone have any advice on how to run a campaign of Dark Heresy where a Genestealer cult is the primary antagonist?

I know Genestealers themselves are absolute blenders in combat and that I shouldn't be throwing one at the party as soon as the campaign starts, but are there any rules for the cultists themselves? If not, what kind of enemies from the rulebooks would make make good stand-ins?

>If not, what kind of enemies from the rulebooks would make make good stand-ins?

Refluffed run-of-the-mill Chaos cultists should do the trick

Read up on genestealer cults and add stats according to the fluff you read. Remember that they have brood telepathy with each other though, so they should be coordinated and a complete pain in the ass to remove.

For the cult itself as a whole, how big it is and how long it has been there will be major factors.

Thank you

I still need to think about that. I'm new to DMing and need to get a better idea of the campaign plot.

Is it worth for my players and I to try and get into DH2? I've heard mixed feelings on the new mechanics. Some seem to love them, others hate'em

Wrath and Glory looks interesting, but we want to start soon and new systems without any splat is so-so.

Which new mechanics in particular are you concerned about?
2e will at least have the advantage of being able to adapt equipment from the other d% lines with minimal finicking.

d%?

I've heard people complain about the new wound system, and the way psykers are handled. Also something about over-simplification and streamlining.

At the same time I've also heard people praise those changes. I'm currently reading through the book.

Also I wonder if I can even get ahold of pysical copies of the books, now that they are out of print.

>new wound system
But it's... the same?

Were they reading the beta wound system because it works the same as in every other line.
While 2e doesn't have a skill conversion chart, OW does.

Like I said I haven't read it all yet, just citing what I've heard.

But in general, what's your guys opinion on DH2?

Better than 1e and more flexible in what it allows players to build. It can be frustrating for players if they don't know what options the book flat out hands them like

ffs hit post when I wanted to click.

It can be frustrating for players if they don't know what options the book flat out hands them like using barter to increase their influence tests to get stuff or that influence is more than just money. Teamwork in general can be amazingly powerful since it just needs the assistants to have the skill at trained with no test on their part. Shit like throwing grenades or just using suppressing fire to help out in combat. Tactical flexibility like having a gun even if you're focused on melee or having a knife/sword/bayonet if you're supposed to be in the back and shooting at stuff.

The aptitude system is both a step above endless lists of ranks, and because of the uneven usefulness of aptitudes / the manner in which they're available, a step down.

Overall it's easier to use, but you'll want to look back at DH1 for flavour.

> look back at DH1 for flavour.
On that note, it is also piss easy to make elite advances in 2e compared to 1e since you don't have to make an entire advancement table or rank/career requirement.

This. it's so much more convenient.

I want to learn more about how the military operates to run a better Only War game. How do I go about this?

ask /k/ or join the corps.

I've got two Aptitudes to choose for my psyker in DH2. What should I go for? Agility, Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Offence?

Either way it is extremely Rogue Traderish.

In a previous Rogue Trader game I ran I think my players would have eventually done something like that if the game had carried on. On their first encounter with them the Rogue Trader failed her fear test and had a panic attack, vomiting over the floor rather than fighting them. On the second encounter with them she was disembowelled by an Abomination with a Rad Axe. This lead to a slapstick like scene as the Explorator and the Abomination tried to fight, but due to their poor agility, kept slipping on the Rogue Traders intestines.

Does pregnancy still take 9 months in the Imperium?

That seems like a long time for a potential worker / guardswoman to be out of action

The nobility and extremely wealthy have other options, such as artificial wombs that may allow for swifter gestation.
Workers can, depending on their job, continue to work until fairly late in the pregnancy; the bosses tend to view the slight loss of productivity as acceptable since the child can replace a disabled or dead worker once it's old enough.
Guardswoman will be shunted into a clerical/support role within the unit once her combat efficiency is impaired, freeing up a physically able guard to resume a more active role.

I assume outside the nobility, contraception is a myth, given the need to breed being an Ecclesiarchy rule

Best quality muscle grafts on my astropath. Good Quality MIU and Poor Quality cyberleg on my Void Master. Common Quality cyber arm on my Arbite

Not really. It very much depends on both the available tech and cultural norms of the world. Some places may include contraceptives in the food/water supply and issue counter-agents on request (typically space stations or hostile environment habs where space and/or resources are limited).
Others may require contraceptive implants (either time limited or removeable) for those in essential positions, only allowing the woman to breed once a replacement is ready.
Guard are issued wearable contraceptives to prevent STI's spreading from planet to planet; an infection counts as "rendering yourself unfit for duty" and is a punishable offence.
Basically, it's as varied and wide-spread as you chose to make it!

Ranking | Psy Rating
Alpha++: 20+ (incorporeal)
Alpha+: 16-19
Alpha: 14-15 (rating in insanity points, can't be removed without downgrade)
Beta: 12-13
Gamma: 10-11
Delta: 8-9
Epsilon: 6-7
Zeta: 4-5
Eta: 3
Theta: 2
Iota: 1

Thoughts? This matches Burning Princess being PR14 and being a "low level Alpha". It also means that 14-19 results in 99 insanity points; so whilst its unlikely that anyone could ever be so stable as to reach 19 without becoming unplayable, it means any who do meet the dual requirements of PR20 requiring incorporeality and 14+ being insane.

Agility

Alpha is unnatural willpower x3. You can one-shit titans with that willpower and psy rating of 10. Lord of Change is only UWx2 and psy rating of 10.

Rogue Trader. Precision Telekinesis would let me use WP in place of BS. This would make me the best shot in a crew of otherwise martially focused people.

Should I take it and make them deal with it, or take Soul Ward instead?

You're a psyker. Be good at the only thing you're supposed to be good at- using and abusing your psychic potential.

How so? I'm jacked full of telepathy powers obviously, but RT is realy limited in where I go next. Telekinesis is good, but renders too many other characters irrelevant as I shoot better than them and force choke people from cover. That leaves buffing with Soul Ward or the clusterfuck of useless shit that is Divination or Voidfrost.

You're a telephone not a crack shot sniper stick to your theme fag boi

I ran out of Telepathy powers I qualify for, so I need to branch and I fucking hate Divination.

>playing only war
>taking part in a mission to take back some settlements from orks
>orders stop coming in just as everyone gets in position
>eventually get fucked up by orks swarming our positions because we had no one organizing us for far too long
>turns out that previously friendly space marines steel rained our HQ because command pissed them off or something
>this also means no more supplies
only war is hell

I'd like to run something by you guys to see if its retarded or not.

I've got a campaign running but mostly only done introductory stuff. Was considering having the main villain of my campaign ultimately be a machine intelligence. The highly heretical kind that should-not-exist. This machine AI having achieved autonomy and kept itself hidden from the cult mechanicus, and are now orchestrating things in the background.

Players will be following a thread of investigation, trying to find out who is the mastermind behind everything they run across. Could a machine like this become corrupted by chaos, or possibly advanced enough to be able to use chaos for its own purpose? I'd like to introduce some neat tech horror into the equation, keeping the players on edge.

A rogue machine spirit is horrifying enough without involving Chaos.

Agility and Ballistic Skill

Right, but the tech horror angle could be a lot of fun to play with too. I was thinking of a machine-intelligence which coldly used whichever tools it could get its hands on, including chaos corruption. Manipulating cults and heretics into doing its bidding. Infecting mechanicus systems with corrupt code. That sort of stuff.

Maybe they're actually alpha legion.

We have no clue if that's the case in the 42. millenium. In old lore, they were part of the collegia titanica.

We have no idea if they even exist in the 42nd millennium. In the lore that overwrites the old, they belong to the ordo sinister which is the Emperor's own household, and there are only twenty four of them.

Has the new shoggy thread started?

How quickly does your Influence go up in Dark Heresy?

Depends on the GM

>And besides, the Beast Protocol is always a good alternative
...I don't like the sound of that, what is it?

You start at 40 by default, which I equate to 5/rank. You get 1/1000xp you gain. So at Rank 10 your Influence should be 62, adjusted for player action obviously.

>Ballistic Skill
>when you have mind melta

Generally though you're too busy Psyker-ing to shoot.

>DH1e

>playing DH the Just 2e

>playing an even clunkier, outdated DH

Bump from 10

>Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable
does that mean i can run a LCB-style campaign

Are there any places that still has copies of 2nd edition, or is pdf format or try to get it 2nd hand on ebay my only options?

Never played homeworld cataclysm?

You could do that with homebrew already.
>inb4 but it's not official so it's worse!

>Does it have that Starship Troopers thing going on, where the Navy officers are snobby to the Guard
By and large. It's a dick measuring contest.
What is your psyker doing?

Make sure they are tools, not a focus.

How do you mean?