MTG Modern Magic General

>Playing?
>Hating?
>Brewing/tweaking?

Thread question:
>First FNM with Jace/BBE unbanned has passed! If you played with/against them, what did you think of their performance?

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2018-02-25
mtggoldfish.com/deck/936556#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That BBE art is the worst one and basically panders to waifufags. Original is the best and EMA one is just so fucking dark.

>and basically panders to waifufags.
I mean, that's about par for the course for most of Argyle's work.

Thoughts/experiences on the unbanned cards so far? BBE has been fun in ponza for me.

>playing
burn
>hating
nothing, I'm not a bitching fedoramancer
>brewing
bug and rw prison
>tq
We do draft at fmn because it actually takes skill and not looking up the latest lists on mtg top 8 dot com like a autist.

The only one I like for the card is the Swanland one. Argyle's is someone standing in thoughtful contemplation while the card is a 3/2 haste.

I just realized it's Argyle's, now it all makes sense.

Borrowed a friend's Ponza just to be the nightmare of Tron players
>Cascade into stone rain
>Cascade into Blood Moon

feelsgoodman.jpg

Is this fucking loss?

holy shit user you fucking madlad

>Brewing/tweaking?

CAW-BLADE.

Miracled Terminus with Squadron Hawk is sweet.

2x Steelshaper's Gift could be worse for 2x Swords tutor that provides another shuffler though I'm wondering if extra two Swords would have been better. Running a mix of Fire and Ice with War and Peace, considering Light and Shadow for recurring Snapcasters or the Vendillions I'm considering putting in.

Main:

Lands
Still optimizing but 4 Colonnades

4x JTMS
1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

4x Squadron Hawk
3x Snapcaster Mage

4x Opt
4x Serum Visions
4x Path
3x Terminus
4x Mana Leak
3x Bolt
2x Steelshaper's Gift
1x Sword of Fire and Ice
1x Sword of War and Peace
1x Batterskull

>last match at FNM
>esper mill vs mardu pyro
>1-1
>Pyro on the play cracks a fetch
>Mill guy casts 4 archive trap t0
>mfw

Took Ponza to a 6 round event today.

>Round 1 (Loss)
Got Junded really fucking hard. Every BBE hit a Kommand just as I happened to have a walker on 1 or 2 loyalty. Basically nothing I could do in the face of that much luck.
>Round 2 (Win)
Temur Kiki Evolution or some shit. Had nothing game 1 but a Beast Within but my opponent jammed the combo and I caught a lucky break. Game 2 was just me bombing shit.
>Round 3 (Loss)
My eternal belief is that D&T does not have good matchups; it has good moments. Dude had every fucking answer at exactly the right time.
>Round 4 (Win)
A no show.
>Round 5 (Win)
GW Eldrazi. It was a guy I went with, and we were both fully aware of how hard Blood Moon crushes Eldrazi. Had a hairy game 1 after he EE'd my dorks away and swung with a Voice, but ended up winning the match convincingly.
>Round 6 (Loss)
Played against the saltiest fucker I've ever played against on Dredge. You know those people who complain even when they're fucking winning? It was that guy. Went to game 3, and after drawing 18 cards I saw none of my 8 sideboarded in cards or even my mainboard cards that are good in the matchup. I literally had an Inferno Titan the whole game trying to fend off a wall of Bloodghasts each turn. "I'd play Ponza too if I had draws like that", he proclaimed after I made lots of mana and had nothing to do with it. God what a fucking cunt.

3-3, no prize, was a fun day out though. Could've easily won rounds 1 and 6 if I'd even had half decent draws or my opponent hadn't won the lottery of life with his BBEs.

>fend off a wall of Bloodghasts

But Bloodghast can't block

I was attacking into them to blow them off the board so they couldn't attack me back next turn.

Newfag here. Should I like or hate this game? (played only once with a friend yesterday and thought it was a bit boring)

I'd give it a few more tries, see if it grows on you or not. You should be aware there's lots of different formats and ways to play that can be radically different from one another, so you might like one more than another.

Yes, yes it is loss.

where the proxies at

Why doesn't Hollow One use Vengevine anymore?

Post list?

No.

Why not?

goblin lore reprint fucking when
they could literally print it in standard

People care far too much about list specifics. You ramp into land destruction and Blood Moon, then ride the wave all the way up to game winning creatures. That's the deck. My list is stock as fuck from like a year or two back.

I just wanted to see an example. I don't care enough about the deck to look it up.

6 dorks
4 sprawls
4 rains
4 moons
2 beast within
3 acid moss
2 chandra
2 wildspeaker
21 land
the rest is shit like thragtusk, primal command, inferno titan, wurmcoil, and stormbreath dragon

oh and bonfire

very high variance deck, sometimes your opponent disrupts you and you do nothing, sometimes you make 10 mana on turn 3 and shit thunder down your opponent's neck

That definitely sounds fun, I've always liked high roll decks. Might try it later, thanks!

No problem. Soon you'll know just how underrated the deck actually is in that form. Cucks are busy trying to jam BBE into the deck because they enjoy cascading into BoPs or something I think. Deck is straight up capable of beating almost any deck. Scapeshift and Eldrazi fold like wet paper to it.

So no BBE? I guess it's pretty bad with all the ramp spells you'll end up hitting instead.

How about turbofog

Not even considering the matchups where you take Moon/Rain out and bring midrange goodstuff in, making BBE even worse.

Yeah, she sounds terrible. I do understand why people are trying though, the unban is super exciting.

How do I hit delirium in bushwhacker zoo? I want to run a full set of this plus Narnam renegades. Not looking forward to buying four goyf either.

Ideal BBE art would be Argyle's design with Swanland's shot composition

I run bushwhacker zoo. I basically never have that many cards in my GY. Instant, creature, and land is the entire deck. I wouldn't muddle with it too much.

Just run a creature suite of

4x Nacatl
4x Narnam Renegade
4x Experiment One
4x Goblin Guide
4x Kird Ape
4x BTE
4x Reckless Bushwhacker

Add in a few tarmogoyfs if you have them, then lands and removal/Atarka's command.

reposting from other modern thread since this one has more posts

playing grishoalbrand
hating variance (in 4 rounds i never once made a griselbrand)
tweaking an aggressive blood moon deck
thread q: i tried my best to get paired against a jace deck but unfortunately had to settle for a bloodbraid deck. i think the unbans gave interactive decks a better mid-late game but didn't improve their bad matchups much

i was really pleased to see folks using the based OG bloodbraid while scouting the room at fnm. steve argyle stuff is plastic and awful

mishra's bauble

Oath of nissa is a one drop that lets you dig for creatures, and having multiples is actually a good thing for delerium decks

Because the RG build is shit and you don't cast enough feces like BTE in a single turn with BR.

Been testing the soulflayer Lyon deck. No idea how it placed. Loses to burn, loses to bloodmoon, plays like a combo deck but too slow for it, has ghast and lingering but those alone sent enough to race.
Someone explain.

>Someone explain.
It's a meme you dip.

I know. I meant explain how it did so well. Only does ok vs tron and jund really.

The nut draw is too hard to remove or wipe. If you t1 spark elemental or loot, t2 grisly/commune into flayer, there are very few ways to stop it.

>go to first FNM
>only two other guys there, both really cool dudes
>playing casually, they allowed banned cards this night because it was just us
>Decided to play multiplayer between us 3
>One dude playing a deck with Sol rings and used it to cast isochron scepter with silence and moment of silence
>Other dude was using elf rush
>Go in thinking I'm going to get my ass kicked because I have a bunch of random expensive creatures (Sheoldred was one of them)
>Ended up winning the most rounds and getting a bonus pack
Turned out better than expected but it was probably beginners luck

My best win was when all I had was a Golden Gaurdian, elf rush guy had a shit load of creatures down and the other guy kept silencing elf rush dude, so I cast solemn offering to destroy the isochron Sceptre, then cast planar outburst, next turn I got dutiful attendant down, cast bone splinters to destroy what elf guy summoned, put my golden Gaurdian back and then my next turn casted sheoldred and then proceeded to lay shit like victory's herald

For the people wondering about budget replacements for Goblin Lore, I've been testing Dangerous Wager and it's okay. I'd rather have Lore most of the time, but it's definitely better than Voice and it not being random is nice.

>that can be radically different from one another
nah, at even a moderately competitive level they all degenerate into denial and infinites. Play with friends if they aren't fags and you enjoy the mechanics

>both really cool dudes
I am genuinely happy for you

>had tons of Goblin Lores
>threw them away years ago along with tons of other unplayable trash
>reality shifts and creates a deck that runs a full playset just to prove me wrong
What should I throw out next? I'm thinking Hatching Plans.

I like Hatching Plans.

Yeah that's the point we're going to make it a deck.

Let's brew one as a general.

What is the most competitive modern deck I can make for under $100?

>no saffronolive shit

lmao

My dick

Is there anything that sacrifices enchantments for value?

Bw tokens?

elves

4 archidruid (18$)
4 Llanowar elves (2$)
4 elvish mystic (2$)
4 ezuri (14$)
4 bramblewood parangon (5$)
4 imperious perfect (12$)
4 brywen elite (5$)
4 elvish visionnary (2$)
4 Wren's Run Vanquisher (6$)
3 primal bellow (2$)
3 chord of the calling (30$)
18 forests (2$)

98$ main deck, but still strong as fuck

>buy a 1600$ deck
>loose to most opponents
>now I want to buy another 1600$
MtG is gonna kill me.

As a dredge player I would like to apologize for that player. We might be Nazis, but polite Nazis nonetheless.

Reddit post

> Original is the best.
You can keep your crackwhore elf.

Monored Burn without Guides or Eidolons.

Nope.

If there was the deck would already exist.

Wait for a Return to Theros, maybe we get good enchantment support then

>Thread question
Jace seemed like a decent wincon but not busted. BBE stole a ton of games, and I still hate E-Tron.

>First FNM with Jace/BBE unbanned has passed! If you played with/against them, what did you think of their performance?
Well having played a decently sized event yesterday, Jund fucking crushed face all day and Jace was underwhelming from the results.

Run him in hollow one

no thanks

How about a drop a one mana 5/5, free 4/4s, or attack with a 6/2 menace on turn 2 instead?

>year of our lord 2018
>people still aren't running the most powerful planeswalker ever printed
Y'all better start speculating on Tibalts, 'cus he's going to make waves in EVERY format someday.

Only Tron players believe Ponza has a good matchup against them. Ponza players know that Tron can just play an Ostone through a Moon and blow it up to basically win on the spot because their bombs are MUCH bigger.

MTGO Modern Challenge had Tron 1st place with Hollow One surprisingly coming in 2nd.
Jace came in 4th.
There's also an article on channelfireball where they're speculating if Jace actually isn't good enough in the Modern format now compared to when it was banned.
Going to interesting to see the first streamed Modern tourney postban announcement.
There was a R/G Hollow One+Vengevine that came in 32nd place: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2018-02-25
It's decent but needs a lot more adjustments to compete with the B/R version.

It's amazing how a 2 mana planeswalker can be so shit.

Fuck you.

I've played with the R/G and B/R versions.

R/G is more explosive, but it needs more things in your opening hand to preform. You basically NEED faithless to get going and Flameblade is 10x worse without a 4x Burning Inquiry. B/R has a ton more live top decks too, when you rip that land you need to return your 3 ghasts or you find a Collective Brutality and toss your 5th and 6th land. That's not even getting into how much better sideboard options you have with black over green.

Also Zombie Fish > Monkey

>where they're speculating if Jace actually isn't good enough in the Modern format now compared to when it was banned
No fucking shit it isn't good enough now. Those kind of fuckers lack perspective. The formats already fast as hell and even when casting Jace with protection backup later on in the game, stuff like Death Shadows deck are gonna bash their face in, or shit like Tron where it's
>playing magic
>lol
By doing real disgusting stuff with high CMC dudes.
Times have changed. The Jace is dead. Bury it.

Forgot to mention, stuff like BR Hollow One really shits on them because of Burning Inquiry, God bless those players.

Some still do but most you see will go into B for being able to play Collective Brutality and escalate modes to get Hollow One out quicker alongside your Delve dudes like Tasiguar and Gurmag Angler and also useful gravehate pieces like Faerie Macabre that will still contribute to your plan.

Jace has been dead long since the fact that they actually have printed a plethora of targetted planeswalker removal and burn spells to deal with them on the field. Planeswalkers are not as difficult to interact with since the Caw-Blade era.

Honestly with how poor I am and how shit Reunion is I'm tempted.

God damn Hollow One is so fun. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a deck this much.

theres nothing quite like it
>chain 3 street wraith to kill deaths shadow turn 3

Putting things into play for free is fun. It's why i'm on the Dredge train but about 50-60% of the deck has overlap so i can easily transition a Hollow One deck from my Dredge deck. Luckily I have most of the expensive pieces for the Hollow One deck already.

Nobody told me Groves were $12 now, only three cards from RG Eldrazi.

It's not planeswalker hate that kills jace, it's just better cards and extremely efficient beaters everywhere now.

>play faithless looting
>Tron player condescends
>land + inquiry
wew

Yeah but now if you don't have enough beaters you can just point that Dreadbore/Heroes Downfall to its face. Cards like those didn't exist during the Caw-Blade era. No more of this awkwardness of trying to play your own JTMS to cancel their JTMS in play.

>0 disrupting shoals
why the hell did that spike??

Why does RB Hollow One run Tasigur? It can't activate him.

Surgical protection, and costs 1 less?

Idk I just run 4x Fish in my list.

I'm on the protour list, it has 2 fish and a Tasigur. I almost got to activate him last game actually thanks to spreading seas, but I won instead.

what's the new karn?

Throw away all your goat support

costs less than the fishy boi

PT list has 3 fish/1 Tasi

The list I run is basically this:
mtggoldfish.com/deck/936556#paper

Except my board is:
-2 Big Game
-2 Grudge
+1 Lavamancer
+3 Shattering Spree

And Leylines = Crypt because I'm holding out for that reprint

I would say keep grudge, unless you really hate having that Stomping Grounds.

>PT list has 3 fish/1 Tasi
Really? Can you link it, I might be on the wrong one.