/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Awesome monster edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
→ #

What do you guys think is the best /awg/ monster model?

Other urls found in this thread:

copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=6
youtube.com/watch?v=b25H-5BeWvY
ebay.com/itm/Tehnolog-toy-soldiers-Minotaurs-Brown-color-The-Box-1-35-or-1-32-scale/253415293868?hash=item3b00ba83ac:g:WHAAAOSweZJaAyNk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?entry/1352-miniatures-minotaurs/
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77013
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77251
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77501
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77255
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For me, its a toss up between the Umbral shadow elemental...

...and the Goryshche.

Dark Age has some great monsters. The Brood, I think, have that giant walking worm thing.

This abomination that was posted on /wip/

The Howler is another good one. As well as all the elementals, really.

Are those real teef?

>The best /awg/ monster model

Eurynome all day erry day.

So, story time

>Pick up shadespire because it looked fun and I miss warhammer fantasy (I know it's not the same but still)
>turns out I dont like it that much
>trade core+orcs+undead to a guy for a infinity nomad force worth about 150 (pretty much equal, I think he was ahead of me by .70)
>Turn around and trade nomad force for at47 redblok army box + some armored suit guys

>Pick up a bunch of malifaux off a guy.
>Only wanted a few things but he essentially sent me like 550 dollars worth of stuff for 350 shipped
>The few things I wanted were broken/incomplete
>feel kind of bummed about it
>new guy shows up in the local malifaux community who played back in the day with a time capsule full of old metal models and avatars that are kind of hard to find that I want
>trade off stuff from the lot for avatars
>find another guy who has the infinity USAriadna box with LE modle who wants more of the stuff I dont
>will be trading for it tomorrow sometime I think

I think I'm just addicted to bartering anons. I don't even play the majority of games I collect, but I'm a sucker for a trading shit around. I feel like I'd be the party rogue who dumped skill points into bartering. Not sure if it's actually a bad thing.

Been trying the vallejo streaking grime to make low effort undead. Works pretty well.

So I see that we have Konflikt 47 in the mediafire for Bolt Action. But I cant seem to find the second book Resurgence. Does anyone know where I should look for it?

Jesus hell.

The Howler, that's it! Such a creepy model.

I'm also planning to use the model I posted in the OP as a giant in my Ogres army for KoW.

I always liked Minotaurs.

Minotaurs are cool.

I wanted to do my Ogres as a proxy army using Minotaura but there just aren't enough out there to work with what I wanted to do.

On the news of the new cyberpunk game announcement anyone know any good fitting cyberpunk minis to get prepped for it?

Preferably not infinity.

Hasslefree

For anyone who is not on Facebook, what we know about the game by the designer of TNT

"Further, many of you have noted that there is a bit of a whole for a core cyberpunk game. There are plenty of games that touch on the genre, but for some of us the down and dirty sprawl vibe just feels missing. I aim to change that. Osprey will be releasing in 2019 a cyberpunk ruleset called Reality's Edge. It will be written by me and it's got This Is Not a Test under the hood mechanically, It is however, a different play experience. Smaller crews, cyberware, hacking, it's all in there. The game is a work in progress, but the art, not including the water building, that has been used as the group picture, is all official game art. I am very exciting about this project and will reveal more over time."

Color me interested. Cyberpunk is a genre not really touched on in minis games.

Wasn't CGL working on a Shadowrun skirmish game at some point?

That actually sounds pretty great, I could well get into that.
But I agree with , I don’t know what models there are except HINT and Hasslefree. I want me some gaddang skinsuit operators

Infinity?

Also, Mantic's Corporation minis would work for Cyberpunk as military or corp security or something.

There's the corporate agents box from the mutant chronicles minis line by prodos, and for some cat suit wearing sniper girls there's the Grey Ghosts from the Imperial faction for warzone.

Are the Nereids a little too good in Deepwars? Mermaid wide Q3 plus long move seems really manuverable.

Ma dudes, is there anyone out there making miniatures in the style of the warmaster 10mm miniatures, or even recasts of them?
Pendraken and Magister Millitium are okay for historicals but their fantasy ranges look sorta derpy.

Onslaught remade the dark elves and there’s another guy who did ogre kingdoms. Kallistras 12mm fantasy fits aswell

Copplestone Castings have some pretty nice LotR-styled 10mm.

copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=6

If the book is anything like TNT it'll have a big list of mini manufacturers in the back.

Has anyone got the a5 fleet book PDFs for Dystopian Wars French and Antarcticans? For first edition, that is.
Due to intricacies of spartan’s website organisation, those two are no longer available, while the other minor nations’ books are.

/awg/, have you ever played side-view games? I've been watching this video youtube.com/watch?v=b25H-5BeWvY and thinking about Metroid lately, and... obviously a side-on board is going to be more limited than a top-down one, even if you scale it up so you can fit a couple of figures side-by-side, and it'll need high ceilings to be usable, but I'm sure there's some way you could do a cool skirmish that way. Maybe a raid, or a dungeon, or guncrawl.

There are those ancient pics of a giant vertical Necromunda build, obviously, but has anyone got any other ideas or suggestions for making it work?

>Cyberpunk is a genre not really touched on in minis games.
it was real popular from small scifi skirmish like a decade ago.

Human Interface Nakamura Tower

Infinity is basically Cyberpunk, as is Necromunda.
Cyberpunk is just "the dirty, planetside hobos in a SciFi setting"

But the cool space rastas are cyberpunk and not planetside.

Sometimes a planetside hobo cyberpunk goes to space. He may be a spacebound cyberpunk, but inside he'll always be a dirty, planetside hobo.

Why does pre-measuring get so much flak? I have only ever played games with it, so I wouldn't really understand why.

Grognards.
There's no conceivable reason not to allow it. Back when I started playing WHFB I had pretty much perfect guesses down after three games. If you know basic shit like how big the table is, how big deployment zones are, how far your opponent moves, how big units are and use stuff like terrain placement and movement ranges to your advantage, it's a complete non-issue. It's pointless busywork that does nothing for me, so I might as well leave it out completely.

I can't express how much I hate that chainmail. Still, I like them.

What's wrong with the chainmail?
For me, the chestplate and heads just fuck the up completely. Probably easier to get some historicals and nice heads from wherever to make elves myself, since the shields are nothing special.

>Cyberpunk is a genre not really touched on in minis games.
Andrea Sfiligoi had a game like that in the works as well.

>Wasn't CGL working on a Shadowrun skirmish game at some point?
They did. Sprawl Gangers. It's a safe bet that it's dead by now though.

Moonracker miniatures "Future Skirimish"
Em4 miniatures "sci fi"
Em4 miniatures "future skirmish"
Mirliton "Future Warrior"
Scotia Grendel all the "Urban War" range
Foundry "Street violence"
Copplestone "Future Warriors"
Heresy Miniatures Sci fi section
Rezolution A Dark Tomorrow (I don't know if the shop or the game is still active...)
East Riding Miniatures "Corporate Wars"

They are all quite old, but they are also cheap. I personally like a lot the Cobblestone and ERM range

The chainmail has no high definition

What are you exprcting from chainmail? I've never once seen them sculpted as anything but holes at 28mm

Are 24-men box sprues the same ones as in 12-men box? A nearby game store is selling the 24-men box at the same price as 12-men boxes online so I'm quite confused

The same, but with double sprues. GW jewed out a few years ago, halved the box contents but didn't make the price half of the original.

Dealer's Chronoscope range has some stuff that might be a good fit.

For me it's about thematics. I think in sci-go games with radar and scanners and shit it fits fine, but in fantasy games it just feels like it breaks the immersion a bit.

That's just me, though.

I like the heads without the feathers, myself.

Yeah, I think they were the same sculots you just got more stuff. Totally worth grabbing if you can get them for a good deal!

this
Thats what stopped me buying GW. 20 guardsmen down to 10 guardsmen with a price increase

But think of the value with all the extra bits on the sprues!

it was the same sprues....
still are the same 5 different pose sprues who lack the weapons you want (plasma, melta)

Fuck, I want ALL the minis.
ALL off them!

No.

t. Dentist

and not to mention the rules!
>tfw GW staff used rules to justify the price of a metal mini

"used"
As if it was a thing of the past

see this
my point: eldar harlequin

Aw I only go to GW for the paints so they only talk to me about events going on. Last time I bought in store there was like 2008 hence past tense

Looks nice.

You want Minotaurs? Get the Tehnolog ones and do a little bit of converting. They're super cheap and look great. Seriously, you can pick up a pack of them for about 10 dollars including postage. Excellent if you want a bunch of unit fillers.

ebay.com/itm/Tehnolog-toy-soldiers-Minotaurs-Brown-color-The-Box-1-35-or-1-32-scale/253415293868?hash=item3b00ba83ac:g:WHAAAOSweZJaAyNk

Here, because there's soft and hard plastic versions out there and the soft ones are rather poor for modelling/wargaming.

the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?entry/1352-miniatures-minotaurs/

And some more sources.

Reaper Bones also has some cheap minotaurs.

If you take those Tehnolog minotaurs, buy three packs, convert two packs of them and add those Bones, then that's 14 minotaurs for under $40 US.

>Umbral shadow elemental
Damn, yeah, that's a good one

>Eurynome all day erry day.
That game had a lot of really creepy-as-hell demons.

The internet is a cavern with no bottom.

WMH is ever polarizing, but I've always been partial to their take on dragons. Eyeless Mad-Scientist Hive-Mind Elder Gods of Pure Entropy really grabs me for some reason.

Honourable mention goes to a bunch of Confrontation stuff, especially Acheron monsters for obvious reasons. 2nd Honourable mention goes to pick-one-at-random Kingdom Death monster (Adam Poots is a sick fuck (I mean that in the nicest way possible)).

There's more than two.

reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77013
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77251
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77501
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/minotaur/sku-down/77255

Four for about $4 a pop.

Personally I'd go for four of the Russian packs, at $8 a pop ($32) Then $3.50 for those four Reaper minotaurs, that's $14. Add in shipping, let's call it $50 for 20 minotaurs, about $2.5 a miniature. Not bad.

I wouldn't call Necromunda cyberpunk. Infinity has some of it, but mixed with other stuff.
The most cyberpunk thing I know of would be Human Interface: Nakamura Tower.

>I want me some gaddang skinsuit operators
Sounds like Infinity. Pic related is what hackers look like in that game. Those pandabots are for expanding hacking area. Main use for hackers is disabling enemy heavies and buffing drones.

To add to the others you also got a whole bunch of minis from reaper and Void/Urban War.

Oh I'm aware. That was just one of the many excuses GW fanboys used to try and justify the absurd prices for some of the kits.

Hence $50 for five plastic Terminators.

How hard are they to convert? I would need to be able to do two handed weapons, hand weapon and shield, two hand weapons, spears, big ads weapon and giant shield, and huge fuck-off crossbows to do my Ogres justice.

I also suck at conversions, and lack parts to convert with.

I like some of the Reaper ones, and there have been a few others I've seen that have caught my eye. The biggest problem has always been finding guys I vould use for units. Finding awesome single models has been easy.

May I mention how much I love Reaper orcs?

Totally. I love their ogres.

I'm predicting:

> Street Punks
> Corporate Enforcers
> Future Police
> Rogue Robots (Maybe)

As factions, any other ideas?

They're as easy to convert as any other plastic miniature; the biggest problem with be where to get parts; I guess you could look for Ogre Kingdom bits.

These are the poses you get. Just off the bat you can see the potential, if you can get the parts. Most of it would just be clipping the old weapons/hands off and putting new ones on. Maybe greenstuffing a hand over a hand, perhaps reposing a head. Wouldn't be too hard.

Probably help if I post the image.

organized crime like yakuza/triads/mafia or gangs would be another obvious one.

Played in a Batman Miniatures tournament yesterday, the biggest in Australia so far, and managed to somehow come in 2nd with this list. Really enjoyed playing it, and I love that I can use a Speedster now who's actually good. I was really just aiming for top 5 (there were 15 players attending so upper third would've been nice) but I pulled some great games out and went better. Ended up on minor win, draw, minor loss, which would've been major win, minor win, minor loss had I not made 2 silly mistakes in the last turn of each game (also the Batmatch scoring system is fucking stupid, but that didn't affect where I placed in the end).

The basic idea of the list is for Flash to run a bit ahead, taking an objective early while the rest of the crew moves up. Once they get there, I can potentially remove any major threat between my guns and Batman, arresting anything that gets knocked out. The arrests are the weak link, but I wouldn't swap the 2 out for anything else because I'd be trading 2 bodies out for 1, and lose out that way

Corporate Security
Cops (who will be less well equipped than the Corp guys)
Anti-Corp groups
Organized Crime

Those aren't terrible. I may have to look into that.

Same, man. I love the way they look. Might buy some to use as a Warband for Open Combat or Frostgrave or something.

Some people don't like it, but you could make a warband for Dragon Rampant with them as well.

I just bought three from your shilling, russian ass.
It'll probably give me cancer too or something, radioactive russian plastic and all.

Not even Russian. I'm waiting on some of their orcs myself to make into ogres. I also bought some model tree trunks from china to make into clubs.

I don't know if it's gonna work like that when it comes to creating you runner team.

As per the creator.

"It's runner team vs runner team. You can have a corp allegiance though. They have the best shit"

"Your leader is essentially a professional problem solver. He can be one of three of what I would call statuses: 1. Is the Sprawler. Your ex-ganger types. 2. The professional. These guys are a bit more up-town. 3. Corps. High fashion and bankrolled. Each has their own bonuses and advantages."

"You hire different types of operatives. Gangers, infiltrators, console cowboys, etc."

"All operatives are essentially the same across all three types of statuses, though their are some special operatives, high level ones, that only each can bring. Corps can get the corporate assassin for instance."

Sure, Ivan.
Please include a bottle of Vodka to stave of radiation poisoning.

I just want to see cool, cheap armies that can be used for many systems out there.

POSTING THAT SWEET ANTARES POON!

Yeah, turns out snow + grime also makes pretty passable zero effort bases as well. I'll have another half dozen of these dudes done by tomorrow.

They don't look very good honestly. If they were cheaper it might work out, but otherwise the minis are subpar.

What color did you base coat or prime them with?

White. I painted most of the barbarians properly (but poorly) before griming them, but there's one where I just wanted to see how it looked.
For the zombies, I just based them in white, then applied a few layers of grime.

Take that back.

I agree, although I'm a massive fan of the Ghar and the Ghar Rebels

What do you guys think of your opponents using proxies? Now I don't mean using Space Marines (I know where I am) to represent Chaos Space Marines--it's reasonable to an extent, but rather using those Space Marines to play historical/fantasy/modern game. As in the they don't fit in thematically.

Lately I've been playing some Ronin (Feudal Japan) and Skirmish Sangin(Modern Afghan) against a dude who just keeps using his Space Marines as proxies. It's been a couple months and it's starting to annoy me.

I've put in all this effort to acquire and paint up models for both rule sets and even made appropriate terrain for both. I've mentioned to him about getting some models that fit, but he's adamant about just using what he has.

I'm not sure what to do. I'm tempted to just buy appropriate figures and paint them up myself for him.

Am I being a dick for getting annoyed? I mean, it is just a tabletop game, but then again both games are skirmish level and historical. You can snag a box of samurai for like $20 and the same goes for modern.

Congrats dude. I would've liked to have gone myself, but couldn't get the time off to drive all the way to NSW. Who took first place?

List looks very solid, although I'd be worried about it falling apart if Batman gets got.

>Hey can I proxy this one unit to try it out before I buy it?
This is fine

>Months of proxying
This is not fine

That example you gave is lazy. If I were that guy I'd just print off some paper minis or something.

That is fine for annoyance purposes. I am personally not too picky about these things in my own view. I play Kings of War which is very much a game where you take whatever. One dude I play uses Dwarven Gyrocopters as Elohi (Angels) that he allies into his Dwarf army. Others proxy some units with MDF rectangles occasionally. But using Space Marines for everything and refusing to change is just lazy. He should at least have some unpainted metal samurai on the bases.

you are right to some extent and you should get someone else to play with

Where do you guys get cheap terrain? I wanted to get a bunch of buildings for heavy terrain 28-32mm skirmish games, but I am not sure where to look. Any genre is fine.

Warmill do very cheap MDF stuff, but it will need some rudimentary work if you want it to look spiffy.

> Warmill

Woops, I meant warbases

I build mine, its not that hard to make cheap terrain from scratch

If you're in Australia, Knights of Dice is pretty damn reasonable and quite nice

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sick of premium priced MDF terrain that I will need to modify to get the most out of, so it's nice they see that niche I occupy and acknowledge it with that Tabula Rasa range. I'm going to grab some of those village buildings

Huh, interesting. So I wonder if it'll be "build a gang, pick all your members and run that team through various missions" or if it'll be more Frostgrave style with only the leader growing and changing and you can swap out operatives between missions.

I'm excited to see what we get. A cyberpunk skirmish game could be damn fun.

They're hit or miss for me. Some stuff looks really nice, others look doofy. But I don't think there's a single game out there that doesn't have some less than stellar models.

Your buddy is a dick. I knew a guy who did the same thing. Wanted to start playing Warmahordes and Infinity, but didn't want to spend money on models because he had to spend that money on more Space Marines. It was pretty irritating because I know he could have afforded the correct stuff but he just refused because "Well I might as well use my Marines, I already have them."

I don't know if it's within your definition of cheap, but I find Ziterdes to have very reasonable prices and some really beautiful terrain for fantasy skirmish.
Most of it doesn't look like it would work well for large scale battles though.

Top spot went to Black Mask, the reigning champ from last year. It wasn't much of a surprise to anyone, he's a phenomenal player (and a really great opponent) and his paint jobs are beautiful. His crew is posted in a few of the groups, it was super tough to face in the final scenario. His crew could afford to split up, but mine really couldn't all that much, and I suffered for it.

The list goes well enough without Batman, I lost him in all 3 games over the weekend, but by the time I lose him he's soaked up a lot of damage and the rest of my crew have racked up a lot of VP. My main use of him is as a melee tank, and to soak damage while contesting opponents objectives (and anything that gets near mine gets shot or hit by Barry)

I'm looking forward to taking a break from the Brave and the Bold though, I've been playing them exclusively for almost a year and a half since I started playing. I have a fair few models to play a themed Rogues list (as a Captain Cold led Freeze crew) and I can't wait to give them a crack

I found out a local store sells wargaming stuff, and they have Bolt Action as one of the games they stock/support. As someone who had a brief 40k affair a decade ago, how are non-GW games when it comes to price? Is $30 for thirty minis a decent cost? Really, I'll take any information on Bolt Action, please.

BA isn't really an /awg/ game, you're probably better off over on /hwg/. That said, Bolt Action stuff is pretty cheap for what you're getting, and the starter boxes are pretty great value