/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

A strange game, the only winning move is not to play.

>Unearthed Arcana: Into The Wild
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_IntoTheWild.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/

>I'm on my trusty steed
>No I will not get off it
>Yes he has a fine coat!
>Don't touch me! I-I mean it.

When casting a spell with Verbal or Somatic components, is it clear to everyone that the noises and movements you're making are spellcasting, or can they be disguised?

Reminder that high INT/low WIS = Autistic

I should be able to roleplay wizards pretty well then

It's obvious.

Don't forget low Cha too.

Verbal (V)
A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice.

Somatic (S)
A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand.

So I assume it's at least distinctive, like an autist vocalising and flapping his hands around.

Not necessarily. It can also represent plucky comic relief.

Nah. I'm autistic and I've built up enough life experience that no one can even tell anymore. Hell, I've been one of the more popular or charismatic employees at every job I've ever had.

What are some good resources for NPCs? Ideally ones with personalities/backstories and descriptions. Doesn't necessarily have to be 5e, looking more for inspiration then mechanics.

>autists telling themselves they're smart again

GRANTHAR CASTS SHATTER
>REEEEEEEE
>*FLAILING WILDLY*

It's obvious to people familiar with spellcasting who aren't retarded.

Dumber creatures might not pick up on it though, but it depends on where they spend their time. Like, a goblin pack that spends literally all their time living in a cave in the woods probably won't realize that someone is casting a spell.

>I've been one of the more popular or charismatic employees at every job I've ever had.
On Veeky Forums? Sure, whatever m8.

what disorder does high WIS/low INT represent?

Damn, that picture really brings me back.

>On Veeky Forums?

not him, but Veeky Forums really isn't a secret club, Veeky Forums in particular has plenty of normie types that manage to have a regular life

>able to notice and perceive a shit ton of information but can't logically put it together or understand any of it
Conspiracy theorists

>a game once in 2 weeks
It's just the first session and I'm having withdrawal already.

Just a lack of education, I would reckon.

How would you differentiate six-limbed winged, four-limbed winged and four-limbed wingless avian humanoids?

Would not being educated affect your "innate" intelligence though?
You can still be smart even if you never had the chance to attend school.

CHA also powers your save bonus that you grant to others.

>I've been one of the more popular or charismatic employees at every job I've ever had
Lack of self-awareness is a classic symptom. Adults are more polite than children in the workplace.

The same way you differentiated them just then.

Crunchwise

That's true I suppose, in our game however we have another paladin so that would matter less since the auras don't stack anyway. So apart from the aura and hold person there isn't much there is there? Most of the time I will be throwing in hunter's mark then going to town with GWM and Charisma will hardly help there will it?

Well the first would be considered bless by the rest, the second backwards slightly bestial, and the third probably considered to be scum/pitiable things having no wings at all as a punishment/curse.

Wings and Arms = Can do anything just as good while flying (within reason) as when on the ground.
Wings No arms = Flight but can't do anything when flying aside from flap unless you can use your feet.
Wingless = You're an Emu, go to war with not!Australians

>Play as cavalier + mounted combatant.
>Plan to have warhorse as mount.
>Actually you can have Wyvern as a mount.
>R-really?
>Really.
Sure, most of the time i'm making animal handling check to convince him to enter underground dungeon and squeezing at corridor with crawling speed. But damn, it's worth it.

You need to get yourself a summoning/storing card/ball/bag for it.

How to build BBEG's, Veeky Forums - I've been playing 2.5 years but only with pre published adventures, and I don't have any idea of where to begin starting enemies from outside the MM. Feels like it's such a tightrope between making an exciting climax and making a wet turd or an impossible obstacle. Do I just make a PC of a higher level and pitch them against that? I love the change lair actions bring but don't know how those influence CR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*statting enemies

So I want to try making my first bbeg, my idea is using the death knight base for a creature that's essentially the Elfin Knight. Here's what I've come up with so far:
> Condition/status immunities and spell casting changed to fit fey theme
> Marshall undead and hellfire orb get axed for a strong charm ability
> Magic resistance becomes its legendary resistance equivalent
> Parry becomes a legendary action along with actions for movement and counterattack
Thoughts and advice? It looks ok to me, but for so I know I may have royally fucked it up.

It's the fictional representation of autism. Like the monks and paladins and samurais.

Well in the interests of balance maybe

W+A variant is only able to fly for CON rounds/Rest as they've less room for wing muscles (upgrade-able with a feat)

The Wings only able to fly indefinitely but only able to use Simple melee weapons/verbal+material spells (upgrade-able with a feat)

WIngless should have taloned hands and feet for improved unarmed attack, that stacks with Martial arts dice.

Interesting for wingless might be to give them rudimentary pseudo-wings under their armpits that allow them to glide but not fly. Like, you can avoid or reduce fall damage, and if you can take a running start of, say, 15 feet you can glide over chasms.

Easy one is to use PC background/alignment/motivation and just make it polar opposite.
Fight wise, it depend on PC level, but make sure the fight match character fighting capability. For example a party consist of fighter/cleric/bard should be faced against boss with mag. resistance/con. immunity/leg. resistance and high AC (so fighter isn't useless) with lot of undead minion (so cleric isn't useless) and bard can cast buff to ease fighter match against him. Nobody want to feel useless during the climax.
In case of really bad/good roll make BBEG gloat a bit and deliver his speech.
Unless they're power gamer, then make separate boss fight at the same time, or just kill them.

What would you suppose is the counter to a Rogue in a party? So he can feel useful. More specifically an AT rogue.

>Person turns up to session
>Has no idea how to fill in character sheet
>Doesn't come earlier to get help

Appreciate the advice - what's the best method of statting a BBEG? I have no idea where to start

It would affect how you think about things. You might not know about algebra or history, but you'll be able to apply your life experiences very well and be very insightful in the circumstances in which you find yourself.

That's what session 0 is for.

One of my players wanted to play as a revenant but without the whole "obsessed with an objective" thing. So I came up with Phoenix-bloods, whose heritage is the same as a Phoenix sorcerer's but manifests differently.

Basically whenever you die, your body is consumed by flames and leaves an egg (or a totem) behind. After a period of time (a minute in a volcano, a month in the snow, etc) your spirit bursts out and you get your body back.
If the egg or totem takes cold damage, you're dead for real.

He's also playing as a chaotic evil wizard

>1st time player comes to session
>Campaign is 5 months in
>"I've played before"
>Except they fucking haven't
>Haven't read their character sheet
>Haven't read the handbook
>Haven't read the character background I had to make for them to tie them into the campaign, and never does read it
>Have to hand hold them through every session while they do Flurry of Blows against everything because it's the only thing they can remember
>It's actually a pretty great group and wicked fun otherwise

You just said the sheet wasn't filled out.
Adding new facts weakens credibility.

Are you retarded or something

I'm wary of people that always need to add more black to someone if people didn't hate them straight away.

Oh... Well, good point.

AT is already useful, you can use it for extra sneak attack (providing there's front line nearby) fog cloud+sneak attack, or scatter some helpful device that can be activated with mage hand or his expertise (make passive investigation check too make he see the device if his wis is too low).

Didn't Veeky Forums come up the the idea of "Adventurer Eggs" ages ago?
Basically a dragon egg is born wrong, once it hatches out pops a murderhobo.
He said it wasn't filled out properly.

Got a question, I'm pretty new to DnD and I don't want to be 'that guy' in the session.

Is it bad if I initiated combat? There was a guy standing behind at pit-trap (that my rogue saw) that was baiting the party into an ambush.

I asked if I could shoot at him and roll initiative and it seemed like I got an extra turn. I got to make my attack and then everyone got sorted into the normal rolled order.

Again, sort of new and I don't want to be an ass.

>He said it wasn't filled out properly.

">Has no idea how to fill in character sheet"

I know plenty of people who have no idea how to fill in their sheets and they still try.

Whats the problem here?

Players taking initiative to act without being spoon-fed an encounter gets me positively E R E C T as a GM, you are doing nothing wrong.

Read chapter 9 of the PHB to learn about Surprise!

something similar to
dragon
wyvern
drake
but avian themed

So I have an idea for a Fiend Warlock. His Patron demands that the Warlock does a deed a day/whenever it's applicable. These deeds are usually to fuck over the Warlock for the Fiends amusement. Shit like "Steal candy from a baby in broad daylight". I need suggestions to get my Warlock in trouble. Ideally I'll make a table and roll on it daily, or when in a town.

Fiend is sort of like pic related.

Why do Warlock "backgrounds" always contain the cringiest shit?

Warlock players are what gives tabletop gaming a bad rep

I have no idea. Probably because it can lean REAAAALY heavily to "Chosen One" bullshittery.

Low creativity, also people have different cringe tolerances.
I go with the "the deal is already done, no use moping about it, look for loopholes and have fun with my devilish charm until shit goes down"

I have an idea: Don't do that. Nobody is going to like your character literally having to be a disruptive shit, and your GM will probably just say "You steal the candy" and then get back to the game.

What's cringe about it?

So long as they're mostly harmless, I don't see any issue with this.
Stuff like "Scare some kids", playing minor pranks, not paying at a tavern, lying to a priest/cleric/paladin, spend a day only speaking in Infernal/Outsider/Whatever to spook people, pretend to be a cleric of a good god...

That said, having a kinda dickish but largely harmless Patron might be more in line with an Archfey than a Fiend.

Running a game for normies here. Is this advisable?

I want to set a game in ww1, specifically when germany is getting pushed back on every front and it's really just a desperate stall to get a better negotiation in the inevitable surrender. The players are german soldiers or villagers near the front. Then magic comes back, shadowrun style, and causes chaos. The players are some of the people benefited most by magic's return, or they're just hardened soldiers (the martial classes). Germany is the quickest to introduce magic wielding forces back into their army, and a new advance begins.

Can I expect normies to comprehend that in WW1 there were no good or bad guys, and playing as germans is not an endorsement of nazism? How about if I have the players meet hitler and he's a heroic paladin of the german army as sort of a nod to his war career before radicalization? How would you handle guns? I think I'll just treat them as crossbows without the loading property.

Thoughts?

Scatter info about him at each quest solved. It's a bit cliche, but it work.
Or make it escalating, so PC getting more and more important quest with information that eventually lead to BBEG.
Or you can go lucky route and have him appear and introduce himself because PC is repeatedly thwarting his plan, while doing random quest, this is the easy choice if you run out of idea.
Or the super easy AL style, where you make the PC goes into BBEG hideout after getting information that BBEG will hatch his plan and if it isn't thwarted, instant TPK, you can make introduction at his lair.

He had it as a PDF and had to convert it to roll20
We just spent about an hour trying to help him get it into roll20, and now the session's canceled because the DM didn't expect this to happen.

Well there's always next week

Nah, if I didn't think my group would be okay with it I wouldn't put the idea forward. The attitude of my group always seems to be "Okay, things are bad, but let's see if we can make them worse."

I'm still waiting for the reasons as to why 5e is better than Pathfinder. Because non of you anons has presented me with any credible opinions.

Because most DM's force a patron to be an antagonistic force, and if you put anything down that might mean the patron is anything but pure evil they'll sperg out.

Just my experience.

How do you guys like stores to be handled?
Lots of different speciality stores or just general bulk themed stores?
Is shopping part of the experience or something you avoid?

Because it lets me play games without fags like you trying to join.

I think I read that hitler was a message runner or something so maybe something like a rogue would be better for pre-WW2 hitler?

I've always found sorcerers and to a lesser extent rogues to hold that title, either through "my mother/father was a magical X" or general edgyness, most warlocks I've seen have either been heavy on the fey or just "wrong place, wrong time, wrong decision" kind of contract

My Celestial Warlock isn't too cringe-y.

What goes on in the happyshop.gif?

Is it a whorehouse?

I died from cringe overload before I even scrolled to the "Background" section.

As far as I know, the dude fought. He was injured twice (once in a mustard gas attack), and promoted to the rank of corporal. I don't know for sure, but I don't think message runners get promotions, and the two injuries do indicate that he saw combat.

Remember to report and ignore paizo fag.

>Because most DM's force a patron to be an antagonistic force, and if you put anything down that might mean the patron is anything but pure evil they'll sperg out.

A character concept I have burning a whole in my pocket is a Celestial Pact Warlock with a NG Sprite Familiar, with the character itself being either low grade evil (self gratifying and petty as opposed to baby eating nun rapist) or at least a very self absorbed neutral, who is basically being bullied into good deeds by a patron and fairy that just won't leave him alone.

I'll probably never get to play it though, as I'd want a DM I know would have the familiar call my character out on shit when they tried to take the easy way out without making it unfun, which could be a tricky line to walk.

I looked it up and he was definitely made a runner at some point. Still its not like being a runner wasnt a dangerous job in its own way.

I'd prefer that to the generic "I made a deal with the devil and now he wants me to do evil things to fill out my end of the deal" or "I sold my soul to the devil and now I want to fight him to get it back".

>New player comes to group
>No idea how to play
>Don't mind, he is new
>It's a year later
>He is still as bad as day 1
I don't understand why someone would make the time for a weekly game, but never learn how to play it

I give my patrons goals that are independent of the party's goals based on the setting. Sometimes the patron's goals will allign with the party's and they will be very helpful. Sometimes they won't, and the warlock might be expected to do some shady shit or risk the ire of his patron.

And the ire of his patron will be a big deal, because part of the pacts in my setting are that the patron can very easily know where his clients are at any time.

>Literally

Seems pretty okay to me, though I'm not sure why a good patron would have taken his soul from him

I'm personally all-in for a buddy cop relationship between the being and the warlock

You can get a sword and stick it in some bread if you catch my drift.

fair enough, i'll do some more research.

Maybe the best way to do this would be to let the players choose the country they want to be from.

Yeah, the fact that so many people seem to see the pact as a default antagonistic affair is weird. Hell if I recall correctly the Great Old One write up even mentions that the patron might not even know the warlock is drawing on its powers.

>Tom and Asmodeus
>one is a warlock and the other is a demon lord
>together they cause crimes!

Filters out the 3bies

I just choose those traits from the Sage background list. Maybe just a part of his soul.

Cringed already at the name

Judging from the sign over the door they sell bread.