DM rage stories thread
>DM campaign on Roll20
>Make the mistake of setting "welcomes new players"
>Starting party is good, most of them are new but willing to learn
>Player leaves because of scheduling problems
>Frantically search for a replacement
>Applicant messages me
>Doesn't specify his experience despite that being common practice
>Check his profile and see 3 different editions of D&D and some Warhammer games, fantasy and 40k listed as familiar
>Figure he can't be too bad
>Invite him
>He has significant trouble figuring out the character sheet
>Writes a ridiculously simplistic backstory
>Literally just "I went out adventuring one day even though I have no skills or reason to do so and when I came back bandits had taken my farm for some reason"
>Has not read the setting material provided
>Several details in backstory conflicting with essential lore elements
>Try to help with fleshing out backstory with a series of questions to expand on it
>Receive only nonsensical answers
>Ask him how he wants to be introduced to the rest of the party
>Responds two hours before the next session saying he just wants a "normal introduction"
>What the fuck does that mean
>Work him into a quest since I don't have a lot of other options other than "he just appears and is a party member now

You should have had him literally fall from the sky and appear out of nowhere.

Nice blogpost faggot

Reminds me of the idea of adventurer eggs.

>>He has significant trouble figuring out the character sheet
What system were you running? Also,

>Literally just "I went out adventuring one day even though I have no skills or reason to do so and when I came back bandits had taken my farm for some reason"
>somehow this conflicts with setting lore?

I remember the last time somebody mentioned those. Good times and a fun premise

For the first question, 3.5, which he claimed to be experienced with. For the second, part of his backstory was about how there were deposits of unspecified "magical crystals" underneath his farm. His farm was hundreds of miles inland and magical minerals almost never form that far from the coast. This is a result of the way magic works in the setting, which is integral to many other facets.

I mean for a generic DnD party it makes sense

>30 year old level 1 fighter
>50 year old level 1 wizard
>17 year old level 1 rogue
>24 year old level 1 cleric

One adventure later

>31 year old level 12 fighter
>51 year old level 12 wizard
>18 year old level 12 rogue
>25 year old level 12 cleric

The reason adventurers can increase in skill so quickly after such a lifetime of mediocrity is because their memories are fake and they are newly hatched adventurers who simply look like and have the memories of a 30 year old town guard or 17 year old street urchin.

>ruining new players with DnD
>ruining new players with DnD fucking 3.5
You're right. This IS a GM rage thread.

>almost never
Man, sounds like quite the mystery. If only there were a bunch of do-gooders around to solve it!!

>His farm was hundreds of miles inland and magical minerals almost never form that far from the coast.
hahahahaha this sounds like the most autistic BS ever. Why the fuck would you be this nitpicky with new people?

>Explain the issue to him and ask if he would like to make an attempt to remedy it with a more fleshed out explanation as a part of the process of asking him character questions
>He simply ignores it
>Proceeds to pull bullshit consistently after that
Oh yeah I'm being real fucking nitpicky here

Not that guy but I think it's more the assumption that OP's world works that way without first consulting him.

>Explains half the problem
>Gets defensive when people query things
Maybe tell the whole story then, bucko

Yeah. And usually in the same DnD fluff stories it's told that such skill, power or knowledge is only achieved by investing your entire lifetime into the craft.

>Applying on player replacement notice for ongoing Dungeon world game, one session in
>GM gives short setting summery and ask to make a character
>Write up short one paragraph backstory and set of believes/ideals and goals
>"That's not a real character"
>wat
>Gives me one of the party members character bio as an "example"
>Flowery descriptions that boils down to "I'm an old [class], i was king's blah and blah, also i have wife and daughter" no actual character traits or anything.
>Adventure supposed to start with everyone moving into far-away place leaving everything behind rendering all of this unimportant.
>Throw in bunch of irrelevant shit into my bio
>"That's better"
>Trying to fit in my character with the rest of the party / come up with a drive to be on adventure
>I come up with a few ideas that seems cohesive with a given setting / story
>GM shuts down every attempt. Doesn't suggest or correct anything just "haha no" / "that won't work because [setting detail that i have no way of knowing]. Feels like playing a minesweeper with 81 mines on a 100 field.
>It's a fucking Dungeon world game that just started, and setting details no one interacted with yet
>Continues to refuse my attempts for like 2 hours
>Blow up and tell him to fuck off with his unhelpful, derogative, pretentious attitude
>He seems genuinely surprised
It was a year and I'm still mad thinking about that.

I wouldn't solely blame DnD, any system based on significant levels of power increase over time has this issue unless the players are all 12 year old anime protagonists.

But only D&D is bad user.

>not making the setting with the players
>backstory
>in fucking Dungeon World

You made the right thing

>Normal introduction
Seconded, but you should also specify:
"This guy falls down from the sky and asks to join you. It all seems perfectly normal."

God, this reminds me of a nWoD ST I (almost) had back when IRC was still the hot thing to use for internet chatrooms. Dude wanted me to write a paragraph for *each dot* on my sheet. Not just every skill or whatever, every fucking DOT. You want to have Stamina 3? Write a whole page about how much endurance you have! That's 37 paragraphs just for a mortal character. He saw nothing wrong with this. I made fun of him until he kicked me from the channel.

This GM didn't read the fucking manual. You did good user.

I've told this before, but it still flabbergasts me a bit.

>Party is tearing apart this tomb/necropolis for the crown of this king who has been dead for century and was buried with him.
>Lots of undead, traps, occasional other monsters, nothing too fancy, it's a big dungeon crawl.
>The tomb itself is built into the side of the hill, and you enter in at the base.
>The king's chamber is near the top, and there's a lot of climbing.
>Of course, it gets nastier the farther you go in, especially the third level, which was a real deathmaze.
>After 2 long sessions, they eventually prevail, get the loot, make their way back out.
>And then one of the players pulls me aside after that session to say that it was okay and all, but it isn't "proper" to have a dungeon where the higher levels are the more dangerous ones, and that next time, I should really consider doing it the other way around.

What manual?

It took me a second to notice what the fuck

What the fuck??????

man's used to basement setups. that's still insane that he got mad he couldn't rely on meta like that.

I always kinda assumed exposure to places of power, fighting dangerous monsters and the like strained the soul, empowering over time.

Recently remembered this bullshit that happened about 9 years ago.

>Start new game based on a (then) popular game
>People submit their characters, it's all good
>That Guy submits a ridiculously overpowered character that doesn't fit the setting
>Explain he's way too powerful and offer suggestions so he can play a similar character with being godmode
>He never replies
>Ask if he's still interested
>He never replies
>Oh well, continue game
>Few days later guy comes in and throws a massive hissy fit
>HOW DARE YOU THROW ME OUT YOUR GAME
>lolwut
>Turns out his wife told him I'd booted him
>Explain I didn't and that I sent him messages
>MY WIFE ISN'T A LIAR AND I WASN'T ONLINE
>That's the very definition of lying you idiot, and you've been online since you've posted elsewhere
>WELL YOUR GAME IS SHIT AND YOU'RE TOO DEMANDING A GM FOR NOT LETTING ME PLAY MY GODMODE SUE FUCK YOU

I'd still a bit pissed at that asshole.

...Why did the wife lie though?

love

There was no wife

The ultimate lie.

We found one of our party members in a box floating down the river with little memory of his past. Always meant to expand on that but never did.

sometimes it just be like that

>Dungeon World
This was your first mistake.

Someone had a litter of adventurers and because he could not be bothered to take care of them he dumped them in the river instead that one is the only survivor

Adventurers come in guilds, not litters ( that's /t/rash posters!).

In this particular case, it wasn't since with Dungeon world you are supposed to build the world and backstories during play with the players.

I mean, it's far from perfect but I'm this particular instance the problem was completely on the GM side.

So in short you're That GM

Neat

>Several details in backstory conflicting with essential lore elements
How

My headcanon is influence from deities in order to buff up characters quickly to meet a new threat

>magical minerals almost never form that far from the coast
Literally who gives a shit you faggot. The point of building a world is to give a place for players to interact with and build on. The proper response is: “ok that’s cool, and by the way it’s pretty rare for magical minerals to be so far inland, so think about some reasons why this might be and how you came to own this farm.”

That's exactly what I did, see

No you didn’t work with him, you hand slapped him and he got butthurt

You're right mate, I didn't work with him. Mostly because he never responded to my questions, which were almost exactly the same as
>ok that’s cool, and by the way it’s pretty rare for magical minerals to be so far inland, so think about some reasons why this might be and how you came to own this farm

DungeonWorld's Manual explicitly recommends working WITH your players to determine setting details and so forth.

It's a fairly important feature, as some class abilities are based around characters being allowed to create such details out of their ass to their benefit.

It's part of the overarching approach to the system, which is a "cause-and-effect" style system of discussion between the players and the DM. This is sometimes derided as the "Quantum Owlbears/Ogres/Guards" approach, as details are created by player successes AND FAILURES, so a rogue messing up picking a lock might result in the DM saying "Okay, you pick the lock, and discover that the door leads into a room of guards. They appear to be quietly playing dominoes, and have not yet noticed you." You'll note that my example had the guards unaware of the player, and acting quietly. Not all DMs new to the setting remember to incorporate such details, creating negative impressions. "Wait, you're telling me I spent 30 seconds picking this lock, and didn't notice the sound of drunken singing on the other side of the door?"

You are such a shit GM i want to punch you

Well at least he was discreet and polite.

Well some players are just shit, if he doesn’t work with you at all then not much you can do. I assume this is more common in places like d20 where people don’t actually know each other

I've always just let my players create whatever characters they want with whatever backstory they want. If it conflicts with the setting, then the npcs just act like the character is crazy. I had some guy create a space marine for a medieval game, despite knowing the setting, and he ended up as a crazed buzz lightyear type wearing a cooking pot on his head, wielding a crossbow he constantly made PEW PEW noises for.

>decicdes to play DnD again with new group for the first time in a few years
>playing over Roll20
>System using 3.5, decide to play bard
>party has an epic opening adventure where we stop a foreign invasion
>after battle, mayor tells us we should go inform the king
>party arrives at kings castle
>one man stands outside the door
>we tell him why we're hear
>NPC says "no"
>I say, trying to be a bit cheeky "I'm sorry, I know you're an important guard and all, but you could at least ask the king first instead of speaking for him"
>NPC says "No"
> I say "look, mr. doorman, we have some pretty urgent information that we need to tell the king, so if you could at least go in and tell him..."
>NPC's in nearby market all stare at me quietly
>me: "what?"
>DM: "you just insulted the captain of the guard"
>me: "what? why is he the one person guarding the front door? and why should I have assumed that?"
> get lectured by everyone, including other players about why it is reasonable that you would have the best fighter in a castle guard the gate, outside the gate itself, as they will be most likely to kill enemy....
>facedesk
strangely I still play with this DM, if only because he and I are the only two GMs left... I do take solace in the fact that our player group prefers me GMing though, just miss being able to be a player in a game world that isn't full of stupid NPCs...

you made the mistake of making a campaign on roll20

Bump.

Party wants to play mystery campaigns, but they're incredibly shit at handling them.

And I don't mean the indecisive sort of shit, I can deal with that. Their approach to every "mystery" game goes as follows.

>Decide who gets "stuck" rolling the guy who can actually make investigating rolls. Everyone else rolls murderhobos.
>Hurry along to where the mystery is
>Do the bare minimum amount of investigation. The very first clue they find, they cut the search off right there. That clue is now the entire lynchpin of solving the mystery.
>they spend about 30 seconds talking about what culprit that clue could fit. The first name that pops up is obviously the criminal.
>They find him and murder the shit out of him. No attempt to fact check, question him, or turn him into the police, just guns blazing.
>They get pissed and tell me I'm doing mystery wrong because it turns out no only was he not the culprit, the police are after them for the whole murder thing.

Every game I ran for them basically ended up just being hallways railroading them from one murderfest to the next because they were completely incapable of handling anything else.

But user, you totally would put the captain of the guard on doorman duty. You'd be silly not to. And of course everyone is going to look at you for being so foolish, such a fool you foolish user. Oh Ho ho

You lines did kinda suck though,
>Don't be a fag guard, just do it.
>Come on loser just do it.
>Why not just do it?
Your not a very charming or well spoken bard.

Try giving them pre-made Characters. Even go as far as pacifist pre-made Characters.

This caused a triggering last time I posted it. (I think it was one of my players who was the triggered poster.)

Everyone wants me to run a pathfinder campaign, my WIP campaign isnt ready, so I tell them we can do a short campaign meant for 3-5 sessions. Wanted it to be kept simple with human Characters. They moan and groaned but most didn't have a problem with it, cept That Guy. That guy was fucking furrious that I had such audacity to want a quick and simple campaign with no silly bullshit. That guy then names his Character Human Fighter, out of spite, I tell him that's retarded and to at least pick a normal half ass name if he doesn't want to put any effort into this Character. He outright refused and it really didn't matter since everyone else also had shit names. I told them they where all going to be bounty hunters, currently on the Hunt for a bandit who recently escaped into a new country, and they where hot on his tail. I had them start in a town where they assumed he must have at least passed through. They decided to go to the Inn and ask around. Find out a guy who matched the description of the bandit they was hunting went into the Forrest. I gave them a clear warning "the Forrest is very dangerous" they of course and as exspected go into the Forrest, they get found by some wolves, they clean up the mess but one wolf escapes in a specific direction. Upon looking at/looting the bodies they found the wolves have collars with the initials of the Bandit they are getting close to. They decide to follow the wolf that got away, per the point of it getting away and running a specific direction. They find the Bandits by hearing them and seeing their fire in the distance. The rouge learning from an earlier campaign decided to flank told the other players to attack together and with caution. The plan goes good, dialogue was simple, they fought, got a little hurt, won.
>Continue next post. Give me a min.

They now have the head of their target, and just have to go to town to collect the bounty And meet the plot hook. I know my players like to dick around, so I added a dire wolf that would follow them and try to rush them out of the Forrest. The dire wolf is something close to a fair fight that is still a major threat, I do a decent job of scene setting to make it clear this dire wolf is hunting then waiting for one person to split or for then to become vulnerable, I wanted them to be rushed out of the Dangerous Forrest so I could apply the plot hook in town. And they caught my hints and started to Rush towards town. One player kept feeding the wolf by tossing neat at it from about 40 yards away. and I decided to let him without any real consequences. They get out of the Forrest and the wolf that had kept at a 40 yard distance with a failed stealth check wouldn't leave the Forrest. Even when they got out 50 yards and I made it clear the wolf wasn't going to follow them. The player who had been feeding it decided to stop and try to bring it closer, so he could tame it. I made it very clear that the wolf wasn't even looking at the food and was looking at him with very dangerous intent. The rest of the party seemed to understand but made a point to stay and see what happens. I gave then another very clear hint that the wolf was going to attack them by describeing how violent and clear it's intent was as it slowly got closer. They decided to keep to their plan. I gave one last hint and they kept to their guns. I decided they might be able to take this wolf if they roll decent.... The wolf best their asses. If they weren't already hurt they would have won, or if they didn't roll shit. But the lost and all died.

I began to say "well that's ok next campai..." That guy interrupts and start throwing a fit because he was incredibly attached to this Character he named human fighter. And he kept this hissy fit up for over 3 weeks.

To add to it. The That Guy was being a hit of a hypocrite calling me shit, he killed one of my favorite characters on day 1 in my sleep where I couldn't react with a one hit kill. Not even a die roll involved in NY death.

Everyone else was at least ok with it and accepted their actions.

The wolf was clearly a very good friend, not wanting to leave Forrest like that. No matter how much neat they tossed at it.

I think you might have a party that is unfit for murder mystery, my dude.

Have you considered giving him the Boot?

We had come from a long trip through a swamp, and the subversion of my expectations blind sided me... I did try some musical accompanyment when I started, but the npc was so dissinterested I gave up...

He basically booted him self in rage.
His play style would be great for my CoC campaign so I'm am not only disappointed in him being a bitch, but in that I've lost a "reasonable" role player. Not a good one but I don't have much to work with in my group.

I mean, in like 99.9% of all cases it wouldn't be an issue. It's literally only an issue in OPs setting and he's too bad at being a GM to say "Oh yeah, that's super rare, I can see why the bandits'd be interested in that. This could quite easily turn into a plot hook down the line."

>level 1 character
>expecting them to have backstory

>adventurer eggs

>in the year 20XX of our Lord
>not giving your character a short background detailing their childhood leading to how their personality is and reasonings of why their personality is how it is.

baka desu senpai

Happened in my pnp and larp group, I assume some grrlls just get jealous when they are suddenly not the focus of attention.

>I assume some grrlls just get jealous when they are suddenly not the focus of attention
I know some adult men who have the same problem

Sure. Autistic manchildren predate everywhere in our panorama.

>5e
>player creates a barbarian
>20 str, 10 con, 10 dex
>decides to roll for hitpoints every level, consistently rolls like shit
>charges into combat on turn 1 every encounter
>does nothing but attack every turn
>complains about me fucking him over because he hits 0hp in every encounter

>>DM campaign on Roll20
>>Make the mistake of setting "welcomes new players"
>>Starting party is good, most of them are new but willing to learn
>>Player leaves because of scheduling problems
>>Frantically search for a replacement

When I read threads like these, I enjoy finding the exact moment the OP fucked up.

OP, this is the exact moment you fucked up.

There is absolutely no reason to panic if you lose a player on Roll20. It happens very commonly, and players are L I T E R A L L Y a dime a dozen on that website.

I know you don't want to believe this, but you ultimately brought this on yourself. In the future, you might want to employ stricter vetting.

>Game coming to end final boss fight set up.
>Kinda that guy is offered chance to join villians and takes it.
>Ok hand over your character sheet and roll up a new one
>It's been a long time and coming as he's beytrayed the party a number of times.
>Decide since party is set up to kill their former companion I will make an epic upset where he takes over the villians and becomes amazing.
>Player's new character takes every attempt to join the new villian his old PC. Keep telling him no.
>Finally in the middle of epic multi part battle with puzzles in between he is just talking over it all about being racist against Orcs that we have in the party for no reason.
>Angry enough that I say he says that in character and for having no reason to say it he takes meta damage.
>Argument about how he totally didn't say it in character continue. Table is very uncomfortable
>Finally after he's making a death save on his turn I say, there is no ooc talk anymore, if everyone agrees we undo his meta damage.
>Table agrees and the player never shows up again not even answering calls for me to explain why I got so frustrated.

All in all it sucks to lose a nice person even if a shitty player. So all in all it worked out either way.

is wrong

>3.5

this is the true moment OP fucked up

Nah. On Roll20, 1 missed session = dead game, and it's quite possible the dude dropped right before the next session.

Keep on thinkin' you're smarter than the plebs, though.

He ate his siblings to survive.

Have you tried not playing D&D?

If you miss a session because of one player being absent, then you've already fucked up. Sometimes it's inevitable(like climatic boss fight or an end of a character's arc), but you should never run your game with the expectation that everyone will show up for every session ESPECIALLY if you're playing online.

I want you to reread the first sentence and first clause of the second sentence of your post.

Doesn't sound like it applies in OP's situation. Besides, player merely missing a session, and player dropping out(in which case his PC would become NPC by default) are two entirely different things.

>On Roll20, 1 missed session = dead game

lmao are you retarded

>Keep on thinkin' you're smarter than the plebs

I'm at least smarter than (You)

Dunno, they seem pretty adept at the "murder" part.

Oh neat, someone who has never used roll20 and probably doesn't even play RPGs in the first place. Let's all laugh at this tool.

If you are actually clear with your players about shit and just actually fucking tell them "Shit happened, sorry bout this week" most people, even on roll20 are not so fucking inept that they can't empathize with some shit that suddenly happens.

One week is not make or break. Its the second week that really puts the nail in the coffin.

I'm glad you've had a slightly better time with that crowd of chucklefucks than my fairly extensive experience on the site has led me to assume is normal.

>Oh neat, someone who has never used roll20

oh the irony

>my fairly extensive experience

post a screencap of your hours played, you mongoloid manchild

Nah, you're a boring fag. I'm gonna go play vidya.

lost
I thought the same thing

Oh, you.

>complains about me fucking him over because he hits 0hp in every encounter
Literally how? Did he roll 1's and 2's every level or some shit?

>was in a similar situation to OP
>tfw the problem player was the 7th applicant
imagine if I hadn't vetted as much as I did. that website is fucking shit

We have a guy at my table. Every character he's ever made has betrayed the party. Of course, we can't ever have our characters prepare for it, or be wary, because that's metagaming.

Have it be part of your backstory that your character is twitchy as fuck and doesn't actually trust anyone. Prepare for EVERYONE to turn on you, perhaps even at the most inopportune moments.

Can't call it metagaming if the its the key trait of the character to be paranoid and twitchy.

>paragraph for each dot
WTF. Either that DM had serious issues, or was using all of you to collectively write him a novel.

For real. A paragraph is around 100 words, which puts 37 paragraphs at 3,700 words. That's 11 pages of backstory, at a minimum.

There is a clear winner in this aurgement.
>Nah ive lost and don't have a valid point so I'm going to pretend I'm above you and pretend to walk away.
Losing post lost it for the loser

I bet he hasn't even played one whole campaign ever. Not even IRL.

This was actually my first ever campaign

>Roll20 5e, get invited to a game which is "noobs allowed"
>pretty normal bunch except for some guy/girl with an anime avatar
>character creation/setting created. A pretty generic "good aligned party trying to save local city" type
>except for him/her
>it created a "futanari fairy rapist" which changes gender and rapes people it wants to
>got some major red flags, DM agrees
>confront player about it, thing says he/she will just rape our characters and kill them when they game starts
>DM says he will never get invited to the first session unless he changes character
>no changes, weird guy/girl/thing tries adding us across all different kinds of social media to threaten us
>eventually kicked out, campaign starts, it was a pretty fun campaign :)