Grecoroman setting

I'm thinking that there is a lack of TRPGs that are settled in the roman era or even with the greek myths, even if monsters like minotaurs or medusa are popular the things around them not so much

post pics for inspiration

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJHdIz-Ix
mazesandminotaurs.free.fr/
theoi.com/greek-mythology/bestiary.html
theoi.com/greek-mythology/kingdoms.html
theoi.com/greek-mythology/fabulous-tribes.html
youtu.be/ErOitC7OyHk
youtu.be/P3Ez8drCIvc
salimbeti.com/micenei/
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/the-sea-peoples-history-weaponry-and-a-detailed-list-of-their-tribes-13th-12th-century-bc/
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/on-some-possible-sea-peoples-settlements-in-sicily-sardinia-and-corsica-bronze-age/
hellenicarmors.gr/en/armors/ancient-greek/
livius.org/
europabarbarorum.com/
europabarbarorum.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/hoplite-phalanx-where-it-was-invented/
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/hoplite-tactics-the-hoplite-phalanx/
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/the-hoplite-phalanx-in-combat-hoplite-tactics/
desuarchive.org/his/thread/4137517/#4142370
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, you got Mythras, RuneQuest, Glorantha...

why nobody ever talks about them?

I use Amazons to fit in my swords and sandals elements.

I always found amazons kinda magical realmism
and not the good kind, because fendom is a shit tier fetish/spoiler]

Theres a lot that can be said about warfare conducted in Classical Greece. Dont know that much about Roman warfare.

it doesn't have to do with warfare really, you would expect that with the high amount of myths and heroes the roman fantasy setting would be more popular

Which ones? They changed through the times.

A) faraway lands have women using pants, bows and axes as well as the men!
B) Some nomad tribes are composed of only women. They lay with the scythians to produce offspring.
C) They aren't nomad at all, their city lies int he northern anatolian coast. Men are second class citizens. Foreigners truly do all backwards!
D) Forget Anatolia! Those warrior women are from Lybia, and they dress in snake skins.

A list of greek elements to include in one's campaign/rpg/adventure:

>Fate is unavoidable

>Sacred hospitality

>Dealing with the gods is like a contract validated through sacrifice

>No canon mythology, everything has multiple versions

>Bronze plate armor

>Actual sea raiders with horned helmets causing the end of civilizations

>Spartoi as a draconic race with natural armor and claws

>Mystery cults serving as excuse for spellcasting classes

>No nordic berserkers, but plenty of people going into rageful rampages. Check maenads, Achilles and Ares "invading one's heart"

>Games everywhere. Players meet in them instead of tavern

>Sea travels, party may have their magical talking boat

>The world gets weirder as one goes away from Greece

>Wingless gryphons as mounts

>Artificers making automatons and other magical(?) items. Not everything needs to be a present of the gods

>Galleys may go from biremes all the way to "forties": huge catamarans with thousands of crew, effectivelly floating cities where the party may live in

>Plenty of unused monsters of greek mythology: for example, the indian dragons preyed on elephants by strangulating them, were huge snakes whose sawed dorsal crests had burning fires. May or may not have wings

Some useful links:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJHdIz-Ix

mazesandminotaurs.free.fr/

theoi.com/greek-mythology/bestiary.html

theoi.com/greek-mythology/kingdoms.html

theoi.com/greek-mythology/fabulous-tribes.html

youtu.be/ErOitC7OyHk

youtu.be/P3Ez8drCIvc

salimbeti.com/micenei/

periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/the-sea-peoples-history-weaponry-and-a-detailed-list-of-their-tribes-13th-12th-century-bc/
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/on-some-possible-sea-peoples-settlements-in-sicily-sardinia-and-corsica-bronze-age/

hellenicarmors.gr/en/armors/ancient-greek/

livius.org/

europabarbarorum.com/
europabarbarorum.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/hoplite-phalanx-where-it-was-invented/
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/hoplite-tactics-the-hoplite-phalanx/
periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/the-hoplite-phalanx-in-combat-hoplite-tactics/

while I appreciate it I was looking forward more to roman elements, but still fucking A+ user, thanks

>No nordic berserkers, but plenty of people going into rageful rampages. Check maenads, Achilles and Ares "invading one's heart

This is a good element. Greek warfare and history had plenty of bloodthristy elements. This is how you get gems like this:

>For, you know, when states defeat their foes in a battle, words fail one to describe the joy they feel in the rout of the enemy, in the pursuit, in the slaughter of the enemy. What transports of triumphant pride! What a halo of glory about them! What comfort to think that they have exalted their city! Everyone is crying: `I had a share in the plan, I killed most'; and it's hard to find where they don't revel in falsehood, claiming to have killed more than all that were really slain. So glorious it seems to them to have won a great victory! Xen. Hiero 2.15-16

In fact in battle the Greeks chased their opponents till it was dark. In victory they made trophies dedicated to the slaughter of their enemies. In fact it was common for captured cities to face the bloodlust of the Greeks in which they spared neither women and children. Also the killing of adult men and selling of women and children to slavery was common as well.

that sounds khornate as fuck

Well I have them be a race of giants, which I think helps out, and also you have shit taste.

I have it they live in city-states around a sea-basin (so all kinds of deliciois skin colors) are badass warriors, but also philosophers, maybe have some screwed up politics, and dismiss all the feudal people around them as backwards barbarians. Treatment of men varies, but it’s never she-woman man hater (outside of a few individuals who are there for comedy).

Greeks where truly the masters of looking down upon the outside world
While they ate shit, didn't unify for shit
Do anything reasonable
And got their legacy surpassed by some guy because he did reasonable surrenders after sieges.

>not wanting to be humilliated and being a submissive bitch to a girl
>somehow shit taste
neck yourself, you motherfucker need Ares

To be fair, between the Greco-Persian War and the the Conquests if Alexander the Great they were hot shit.

It’s kinda like how people still act like the US is worth caring about despite, well everything. Check back in a few years to see if this is a one-off or not.

A. Girl abs.
B. Boobs are at eye level.
C. Girl abs.
D. She does all the work, you get to live life as comfy househusband.
E. Girl abs.

Also I prefer Amazons as gentle femdom, rather than she mounts you in public to display dominance.

>Other people are into what I don't like
Wow kys

nigga, girls abbs are delicious, but they are not exclusive to fendom
in fact I would argue that muscled girls that are actually shy are even better
>prefer gentle fendom
that's more respectable, you are forgiven for today

can't you tell its just fun banter you fucking autist?
>he doesn't berate the user who said "you have shit taste"
fuck you

To be fair, I feel the calls to suicide are when it transitions from playful banter.

Also I especially like the idea of Amazons, particularly the younger generation, becoming enamored with chivalry, and insisting on things like holding the door for you, protecting you from ruffians, or doing a princess carry on you.

kill yourself

>I don't like how you are discussing, so you should stop!
kill yourself

>I like amazons
figured that after you showed how much of a fucking hypocrite you were for not calling out the other guy

Don't be so mad user

I am this guy I think you have me confused.

I did, my bad

Probably because it's not D&D.

The UN itself isn't worth caring about, but every permanent member of the UN Security Council is.

Mazes and Minotaurs is pretty cool.

I feel we got a increase in people taking about Glorantha.
This might be because the bronze age had no firearms, but more Glorantha is a good thing in my book.

Decent links but a lot of the stuff saying of classical greek combat is either wrong or speculation.

For example, this:
>The hoplite phalanx could only fight in a lowland or semi-lowland terrain. It was almost impossible to march and fight in a mountainous terrain.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong. Hoplites fought in all types of terrains. During the Greco-Persian wars they fought in terrain that would negate the Persian's cavalry. Such as in Plataia where they refused to come down from the hills to face the Persians in the open or at Thermopylae where they defended the pass from the Phocians' wall. The Greeks were more than capable of fighting in hills and irregular terrain. Their way of war was the use of terrain, ambush, surprise attacks, and the use of terrain.

See:
desuarchive.org/his/thread/4137517/#4142370

Other things such as a phalanx existing in the 7th century is wrong too. The Greeks, by literary and vases, still fought as the fighting is described in the Homeric epics. That is loose band of rich men and their followers often with individual duels taking place during battle.

Also there was nothing respectful about the Tropaion. The Tropaion was only constructed after the Greeks had chased their opponents as far as they could and the tropaion was dedicated to the slaughter of the enemy as seen in this passage:

>After this the Syracusans set up a trophy for the sea-fight and for the heavy infantry whom they had cut off up at the lines, where they took the horses; and the Athenians for the rout of the foot driven by the Tyrrhenians into the marsh, and for their own victory with the rest of the army. Thuc. 7.54.1