That Guy Thread

Who's the latest That Guy in your game? Get it out Veeky Forums.

>playing a game about colonizing a distant land
>that guy wants to be a Gunslinger
>DM says he's not too sure about it based on his setting
>argues that because they have ships that can sail to other continents, gunpowder and firearms should also be a thing and keeps begging
>DM relents, gives her a pistol and she starts bragging about her special snowflake noble ladt character who has a rare gun
>party forming battle formation as we set upon land and begin exploring
>party wants the Hexblade and Paladin to be out in the front of course, and for me as the Ranger to scout ahead of party in stealth
>that guy rolls his eyes, says "I'm taking the lead, can't count on you people" and takes the front
>we come upon an abandoned town and DM mentions there are cobwebs around the area
>Bard wants to use his Prestidigitation to make noise since we suspect giant spiders
>before Bard can even do it, that guy says she walks right in to the town to look for clues
>ambushed by spiders, of course
>she charges right in front and shoots her gun
>rolls a 1, meaning her gun is now jammed
>gets jumped by spider, bitten, and poison damage makes her go unconscious immediately
>party starts laughing
>she sounds upset and asks to be healed
>no one heals her until the the battle is cleaned up
>starts calling us dicks for "glory hogging"
>after the session ends and she leaves, we all discuss and decide we're going to kick her out
>few days later DM tells us he had a talk with her and after informing her of being let go, she proceed to call the entire group a bunch of retard virgins and said the DM was shit at his job

Fun times.

>>that guy wants to be a Gunslinger
Hey! the dm said "I'll consider anything from XYZ books" and I found the rules for them in one of those books. So I'll keep my musketeer

Par of the course.

Not playing with randoms should fix that problem.

Not OP, but I found an amazing irony here is that switching to randoms is what I did to FIX that problem, because holy fuck are my IRL friends insufferable for TTRPGs. 110% video game mentality all the way... and not even GOOD games, retarded "I wana take on an entire army with a joke weapon like a paint-brush" Dynasty-Warriors kinda shit.

Not even gonna lie, this sounds like "That Girl"'s first game and it went shittily for her. Not healing her for an entire battle is a cunt move.

She may have been a bitch about it but I'm inclined to agree with her assessment of you being retard permavirgins with a shit GM.

Which is true of all Pathfaggots, admittedly

I know what you mean. I play in an IRL game of the Dark eye and the GM thinks that Skyrim is the best RPG out there.

>Player had been a Halfling rogue with the same name for two games
>Notorious asshole thief that had no problem throwing a wrench in the plans
>Start a Ravenloft Campaign
>That guy makes a third halfling
>"I'm LAWFUL EVIL, it'll be totally different user"
>First Session he kills a hooker, burns a tavern down, and tries to steal from another PC.
>After session everyone tells him to play something else or GTFO
The next day
>"The group is shit, I should be allowed to have my Council of Skibbles"
>Wait you're doing a rick and morty gimmick in D&D?
>GET OUT

>I'll keep my musketeer
No you won't. You got kicked out of the group.

>That Guy constantly charges even though she is ranged
>party expected to heal her as she does stupid shit

First off, I would have just let her die. The fact that they healed her at all should have been met with grace and missing a small fight is reasonable punishment.

Second, there is absolutely zero excuse for such behavior even if it was her first time. When I played my first game with four other new players, not a single one of us acted as was described in OP. Rudeness and stupidity is not a quality of new people. It is a quality of shitty people.

I've ranted about That Girl on Veeky Forums before, but screw it, there's never a bad time to get salty about her.
Okay, so first, I'd like to say that I've played several other games with That Girl, and in all of them, she was amazing. She's a player in the game I GM, and she's flat out my favorite player. She's kind, helpful, and fun to play with.
I say all of this to contrast with her behavior in the game I plan to spend most of this post ranting about.
Okay, so we're playing in a magical girl game. Almost everyone shows up with a character who's basically "I used to be a normal person, but then I became a magical girl." Except That Girl. That Girl's character (henceforth called Edgy Sue) used to be a D&D style wizard, lightning bolts and all, up until she was bitten in half by a monster and made a pact with not-QB in order to live, signing the contract in her own blood. Edgy Sue has been a magical girl for way longer than everyone else in the party, and has also literally committed murder. Shoved someone off the roof of the school. No explanation for why she isn't in jail, cuz it's not like she tries to hide it. Indeed, when the game starts, literally her first line is bragging about being a murderer to the party.
That's not even the worst part.
The worst part is That Girl decided that she wanted to be the party leader. Because you know, a literal murderer is exactly the kind of person who should be leading a magical girl team.
Now, needless to say, several people objected to this, most notably someone who was playing a 14 year old meguka who believed in Goodness and Right and was Pure of Heart and would basically never ever follow a murderer.
What followed was That Girl throwing a two hour tantrum until everyone gave in. She would do this literally any time someone challenged her. And I'm not exaggerating, btw. I timed it. Two fucking hours.

>she proceed to call the entire group a bunch of retard virgins

the go-to argument for women

In the end, the 14 year old ball of sunshine had to be radically reworked, and her personality was butchered, because her player (let's call her C) realized that if she didn't back down, then every session would begin with That Girl throwing a two hour long tantrum.
Oh, and it gets better. See, That Girl had played Edgy Sue before in a D&D game which is why Edgy Sue's backstory seemed so stupid and out of place. (And why Edgy Sue's name is a random Maewifojp of letters instead of an actual name.) That Girl apparently thinks this kind of BS is completely OK. Despite that, she constantly insults C behind her back, whining about how all of C's characters are quote unquote "identical." For reference, C's characters are not, and even if they were, at least C has the decency to CHANGE THE FUCKING NAMES. I assume That Girl must not have had bottom surgery, because the balls on her must be enormous to say that kind of shit.
Anyway, now that That Girl had secured her place as team leader, she then started demanding that the GM let her provide exposition. Unfortunately for us, That Girl is the most longwinded person I know. She once manages to spend hours on exposition that should have taken five minutes. I fell asleep for an entire hour once and no-one noticed because it's an online game (so they couldn't see me fall asleep) and That Girl didn't let anyone else speak during that hour, so my silence didn't seem odd to anyone. (Thankfully, I listen to music during the game, and was woken up by the steam whistle from Sweeny Todd.)

>I assume That Girl must not have had bottom surgery, because the balls on her must be enormous to say that kind of shit.

literally what

is this some faggot reference?

Now, eventually a few people worked up the spine to tell That Girl that she's just objectively the fucking worst, and she promised to shape up. Now, instead of being Edgy, Edgy Sue is merely annoying, because That Girl seems to think the issue is the edge, and not the simple fact that she actively leeches fun out of the game. On top of this, she constantly whines about how no-one trusts her shitty annoying edgelord, even though Edgy Sue literally introduced herself to the party with "Hey, I'm a psycho who threw someone off the roof!"
Anyway, I guess what I'm saying here is Dex, I don't know if you browse Veeky Forums, but if you're reading this, go fuck yourself.

Trans joke. Bottom surgery is where you go and trade in one set of genitals for the other one.

Everything about transexuals is a joke.

I've noticed girls and women I've played with through the years since middle school, regardless of of how they are out of game, LOOOOOVE playing murderhobos. I think it's taking out the undersandable frustration of being forced to be circumspect and nice all the time.

To be fair the huge majority of people I have played with have descended into murderhobory of one form or another, especially if they're relatively new to table top games or have a short attention span.

I have a kinda-sorta similar experience with a frequent player. The DM allows this girl he has college with to play. She's fun, smart, attractive (big plus), and has no problem sharing the spotlight with her fellow players.

The problem is that being an old school tabletop game veteran, she suffers from some weird burnout that manifests as an inability to use ANY of the base 5e classes. First campaign she was a blood hunter. No one really minded; it was new at the time but seemed fair enough, and truth be told she played her character well and was an overall benefit to every fight she participated in.

The campaign after that she pulled out some bullshit she found on a fanon homebrew sight. It's called "The Nephilem" and is basically a godless cleric with a bunch of added bonuses that frankly just make it too powerful, but again the DM allowed it. Again, she was useful, but that's not really the problem we (the other players) had. I was a rogue, for instance. The rest of the party consisted of a paladin, a fighter, and two wizards. It's pretty hard to be overshadowed at twelfth level as a wizard but The Nephilem managed it.

I've brought these concerns to my GMs attention and while he agreed, he continues to allow it because, I suspect, she's showed him a tit or something. We are beginning a new campaign in a few months and she's already talking about some rando shit I can't even find online. I'm debating asking to see a tit too just so I can put up with another year of "I do everything better than your dirtbag PH class".

The weird thing is she's not usually like this. In every other game I've played with her she's like, the least murderhobo.

>Dark Eye

my gf plays only lawful good characters and gets really emotional OOC if somebody is wronged.
lol

>>after the session ends and she leaves, we all discuss and decide we're going to kick her out
>>few days later DM tells us he had a talk with her and after informing her of being let go, she proceed to call the entire group a bunch of retard virgins and said the DM was shit at his job
I think this one of the only That Guy stories I've read that actually had some sort of reasonable conclusion.

Who's the latest That Guy in your game?

>Showed up sick that game
>Insists that its nothing serious
>It's not my house so I can't kick him out
>Proceeds to sneeze the entire 6 hours we played
>End up catch his cold

Fuck that guy

Oh yeah it's not universal but I've noticed a trend.

No, it's a quality of someone who doesn't know what the social expectations in a given situation are.

>always the last to show up
>shows up high as a kite and reeking of dope
>never shuts up, constantly interrupting the dm and other players when they're trying to do shit
>goes into fits of laughter that last several minutes when he or someone else makes even the smallest of jokes
>every character he's ever made has been a stoner too, who's default answer to the dm inquiring his character's actions at any given time is "getting high"
>is also a massive weeb and will always try to get followers ingame who will inevitably be, you guessed it, lolis

>Shit that never happened

It is hard telling who I hate more, stoners or weebs.

How do you even meet these people?

>Magical girl game
You all deserve to be shoved in a gas chamber

high school

this whole goddamned website is underage

*coughs, does a few warmups to get his voice properly annoying*
Onii-chan, why would you do this to your poor little imouto? Being around you makes my kokoro go all doki doki. Do you not feel the same?

A magical girl game sounds like it could be great if the group is good.

Eh, I can see someone doing that kinda shit. This is why you need to make sure your friends actually want to play ttrpgs before you recruit them to play ttrpgs.
*fakes crying, badly*
Onii-chan, why are you so mean? Uguu~

I'll be honest. Even with That Girl being fucking awful all the time, this is objectively the best game I've ever played in. I've cried multiple times. Actual tears. I never even knew ttrpgs could evoke emotions other than mild amusement, and yet the GM has somehow managed to make me cry.

While i will admit its possible for it to happen, it will never happen as that guy said it. You would need to literally be a caricature of a person for it to happen as that guy said it.

If you didn't kick this disruptive stoner motherfucker before he hit the stage where he was showing his weeb side, you asked for it to happen.

>If you didn't kick this disruptive stoner motherfucker before he hit the stage where he was showing his weeb side, you asked for it to happen.
Speaking as a doormat, it's entirely possible that no-one in the group has the balls to kick his ass out.

Then thats not the stoners fault, at that point. He may be the symptom, but you would be the cause.

As much as it makes me sound like an asshole and less than empathetic, there's a point where you need to either nut up or stop complaining about it, since flip-flopping in the middle is getting no one anything.

unironically this. everyone in my group are friends i've had since highschool, we're all in our late 20s now.
the dm and i had sort of an intervention with him after this past weekend's session. we told him he needs to lay off the grass before session because his behavior while he's on the shit is too disruptive. given that the group has been together for 10+ years simply kicking anyone out isn't really an option. the stoner/weeb guy wasn't always a problem, for a while he had a job that drug tested so he was clean for a while but he got fired from that and is someplace else now that doesn't give a fuck so now he's back on the shit like its going out of style.

At least you had the guts to try something, especially among a group of friends.

Too many of these issues stem from people simply not doing anything despite complaining, and that rustles my jimmies something fierce.

A DM that can evoke emotions AND keep the game fun despite an awful player?
Where do I find one? actually, can I borrow yours?

I remember you talking about this whole thing one time.
You need to kick that fucker out and update us when you do.

>Where do I find one?
Man, I have one and I don't know where the fuck you find GMs like that. A friend asked me if I wanted to play a Vampire game and I said yes, that was about it really.
>can I borrow yours?
*pulls out knife, hisses*

>I remember you talking about this whole thing one time.
I'm salty as hell about it, in case you can't tell.
>You need to kick that fucker out and update us when you do.
The issue is she's in multiple other games where she isn't awful. Like, the Shadowrun game I run, she's flat out my favorite player, and she's p. fun to play with in the D&D game we're both players in. It's really weird. Anyway, yeah, like, I'd rather not risk losing my best player over this, esp. given how the best thing I can say about 50% of my players is "They try their best, bless their hears."

>Long time D&D friend starts a campaign
>I play Gnome Artificer because DM is letting us do Unearthed Arcana shit and I've only ever used Core Book classes
>That Guy goes Dwarven Barbarian
>Other players are Half Elf Rogue, Dragonborn Fighter and Tiefling Warlock
>Backstory is we set sail to a newly settled continent. I say that I built my Thunder Cannon on the way there
>First thing that guy does to be funny is smash my gun into the ground before our first combat
>Pushed everything into the gun and support spells, so I stand in the back and do nothing for first combat
>Session ends, ask DM if I can switch characters because outside of above incident character isn't working well with the rest of the party, which ended up focused more on being merchants than adventurers.
>Switch to a long time favorite of mine, a young female human cleric
>Next session That Guy immediately starts hitting on my character
>Only time he ever interacts with my character is to make awful sex jokes
>Pretty sure he's about ready to rape my character if allowed, so again ask DM to change characters
>We still need healers, so I switch to a super gruff, doesn't take shit from anyone Half Orc War Cleric
>That Guy starts to act stupid, Cleric slaps the shit out of him
>That Guy starts acting like a dick to my character
>By this point everyone is tired of That Guy's shit, and group ends up dissolving after 4th session
That Guy never did anything to anyone else but my character, and I had no idea why. He was indifferent to the Rogue and Warlock, and ingame bros with the Fighter, but always picked on me.

sounds like she's the type to get an idea and stick to it regardless of the actual merits or demerits.

I can sympathize with that as i do so myself, but i at least make sure i'm not negatively impacting other people for it. As an example, in 3.5 i tried to make a mage that powergamed magic missiles. It works out since i'm only level 6 and have maximize, but i realized my damage output was gonna hit a hard cap pretty soon. Then i found out Spell compendium has MM variants, so that fixed itself. All in all, things worked out better than intended, but at the same time i went into it knowing i wasn't going to be terribly useful.

>hears
Hearts.
I have been awake for way too long.
Well he sounds like an asshole.
I mean, she is modifying the character to make Edgy Sue annoying rather than edgy, so I don't think that counts as sticking to the idea.
>powergamed magic missiles
How does that even work?

>How does that even work?

Not very well. Lots of metamagic.

Still, toning down and outright abandoning an idea are different things.

If she's a good player in other games than I think she could be reasoned with, since she doesn't seem to be a classic 'that guy' who's just a pile of human trash.
I know you already tried approaching her about this, but clearly she misunderstood, approach her with all or most of your party, not in a demanding or threatening sort of way, more as a sort of intervention.
I think you might have been too vague the last time you approached her, or maybe you backed off before she really got it, be very clear about what the problem is, approach her kindly, but assertively and talk about ways in which the game can become more fun for all of you.

Unfortunately just yesterday, I started my very first game as a DM. I was That DM.

>See a thread on Veeky Forums about a homebrew system for games set in the Mario setting
>Think it's the coolest shit ever, and easily get a sizable number of players to join
>2 months later, after making stage playlists, talking with my players about their characters' backstories, writing up setpieces, boss scenarios, story routes, etc., I finally have a good idea of where I want to take our game.
>Big party going on at Peach's castle, everyone's invited, middle-middle, Bowser and Koopalings show up and ruin everything.
>Players want to fight Koopalings.
>This is where it goes wrong
>Not only did I fail to truly test the system's battle mechanics before diving into a play session, but because of that and the game's 1:1 Strength-to-Defense damage ratio, I was not prepared for the battle to take literally two hours
>Two hours wherein the players only deal about 2 damage per turn, but one of them gets knocked the fuck out in one hit
>Wherein the fight comes to a complete standstill because other than that, nobody's really taking any serious damage
>We all decide to call it midbattle after two hours because it's obvious it's going nowhere.
>Everyone says we need to figure out how to not have this standstill be a normal thing or this game is just not going to work.
>mfw spent two months planning out a fun game I wanted to DM and blew the first session because of bloated defense stats
At least they all said they had fun and wanted to give it another try next weekend, but fuck, man.

I mean, you fucked up, but That DM destroys group cohesion in the same way That Guy does, and it sounds like you've already acknowledged the problem and started work on a solution. Kind of stupid to beat yourself up that much.

Agree with this.

That Guy or GM =/= making an honest mistake.

If that were the case literally every player and GM ever would be That Guy/GM.

You weren't that DM, that DM is an unreasonable fuckhead, you simply made a (pretty big) mistake. Just try to work out the combat system, either taking a break from the campaign while you do it or continuing with the campaign having your players test your modifications (in this case it is better to make encounters too easy rather than too hard).

then what IS the best RPG out there?

>Guy playing a fighter, focusing on bows
>All of his attacks are basically "I shoot an arrow"
>Doesn't even pick a target unless the GM forces him to do it

Get a better immune system loser.

>user uses Ray of Sickness

>constantly harassing mages to let him see their spellbooks
>casts charm person on everyone and everything so he can manipulate them because he's too scared to fight
>hides whenever we encounter ranged enemies
>once cast charm person on a level 10 wizard when we were at level 1-3 and almost got the entire party killed when the wizard saw our paladin
>loots all the bodies and keeps everything for himself
>must be autistic because he can't interact with NPCs or players worth a damn

He could have been doing a Marvel thing...

Our /thatguy/ went from being a damn good DM to a fucking idiot
>Kills off characters with "rocks fall you die" meta bullshit for being "too powerful"
>"Too powerful" meaning actually stands a chance against the ridiculously high CR shit he throws at us
>Builds overpowered DMPC's that outshine us all and make character progression seem pointless because his mary sue OC will always be a few levels ahead of us
>Instakill traps
>Starts incorporating "when you die you go back to level 1" rules so party is horribly imbalanced in terms of level
>Due to this people get stuck in a loop of dying since he still throws too high CR shit at us
>Bans books for being "mary sue shit" but then builds bosses and NPC's using those books
>Ups the DC of things like resisting disease to ridiculous extents so that resisting things like ghoul fever is near impossible
>Once killed a fighter of mine by having a really mary sue tier NPC sneak past our NPC guard to just "happened" to fall asleep on his watch to then get into my character's tent and literally stabbing him to death while he was unarmored and defenseless
>Cleric then confronts this assassin only to have the NPC "throw 100 needles" at the cleric, instantly killing the cleric
>Level 5 fighter and level 3 cleric wasted, back to level 1
>new level 1's find our old camp
>Graphically describes my Elk mount's eviscerated corpse
Alternatively, when he's a player
>Rolls broken to shit mary sues despite his policy on "too powerful" characters in his own games
>Exclusively rolls unbearable evil characters who fuck with the party and start fights
>Always brags about his character despite them doing almost nothing of use
>Tries to metgame his way out of literally everything
>Once got critted by a mace and told me that the mace should break because "MY WARFORGED IS ADAMANTINE"
>Last time I played a game with him our characters were meant to be childhood friends and one of the first things he did was try to steal from the rogue

I chuckled loudly.
Maybe he has a hate boner for Gnomes, I know I do, and then decided to keep on being a dick for shit and giggles.
Or maybe he hates you for IRL reasons, idk.
That sounds like good roleplay for a scared, paranoic and ratty thief. But I suppose he was playing something else didn't he?
What the hell happened to this dude?

>What the hell happened to this dude
From what we've guessed it's just a sort of "going mad with power" thing
He just gets off on throwing cruel bullshit at us and then claiming that it's "for the challenge"

Super Mario RPG

Nah, Paper Mario.
Another acceptable answer is Wild Arms 3.

>that guy who calls you on the phone for 2 hours for GM advice
>I give him some advice, however most of it had been said better in books like The Lazy Dungeon Master.
>Shit like he doesn't need to autistically plan out every choice ten sessions in advance
>proceeds to shoot down any advice you give and defend his practices
>Ask why the fuck is he wasting my time if he wont even listen to anything I say
>"Oh, just bouncing ideas off you"
I can't be the only person who has to deal with shit like this right?

Is your group a collection of the weakest wills on the planet?

Why would you keep playing? Its your own fault

I had a guy homebrewing a class as a pet project that kept annoying me about it.

Had an issue with letting go of anything and not powergaming it to shit and back. Still ended up pretty powerful, but with some notable weaknesses.

Still pretty annoying when you are asked for advice and then simply ignored though. Ego is a bitch.