How do you handle giant monsters? i'm not talking about your avarage Tarrasque manlet but truly mastodontic things

How do you handle giant monsters? i'm not talking about your avarage Tarrasque manlet but truly mastodontic things

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/On_the_Backs_of_Gods
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When I asked for a system that would let the PCs fight something the size of North America I was told it's impossible.

Well, it's kind of true.

As far as game mechanics go, creatures of that size aren't creatures. They're locations, events, or both.

They don't get the usual stats, they get a description. Fighting them is pointless. You may as well try to grind a mountain into dust, one pickaxe-hit (or even one magical explosion) at a time.

It's going to take years if it's possible at all, and this is supposed to be a living thing. It might notice you, and when it does, it can obliterate anything within a couple of miles of you by rolling over slightly.

At this point your PCs are either animoo, godwizards or have access to all the nukes in the world. To them it would be no different than clubbing a bunch of gobbos anyway, so why even bother.

Risus

That's why you use artillery

OP pic had several glowy weakpoints that fought back and had to be damaged to weaken it, but even the super human characters in game knew they couldn't kill it so they just attacked it enough with artillery and caused caveins on it until it said 'jesus christ fine I'll go around'

Idk if that helps

At that point you can't really fight it directly, it's far too big for anything short of the largest artillery to even damage. Your best bet is to climb on top of it and go inside, killing the beast from the inside out.

In a creature that size, it will likely have interior defenses and other challenges to still make it a challenge to destroy. Antibodies, parasites, natural processes (stomach acid, etc.) would all come together to defend the creature, making killing it more akin to beating a dungeon.

Artillery barely wipes a city, let alone a country. Let's not even think about a continent.
I know of no record of artillery decimating a mountain.

Fantasy artillery
Besides the thing in the OP pic is not continent size

>Fantasy artillery
Then that's fair. Some mumbo jumbo about the nations teaming up and developing someting to fight it can alse be interesting.
>Besides the thing in the OP pic is not continent size
Yeah, I was thinking about the first replie to be honest.
I still like the idea of using the artillery to slow it down, and enter inside the body like if it were a dungeon to kill it.

>and enter inside the body like if it were a dungeon to kill it.
You mostly run around on the volcano on it's back destroying cores and then fight a porcupine bull dragon that wants to eat it

I've set up a house rule that once enemies are of a certain size, conventional human-sized weaponry no longer does any kind of damage.
The upper limit of what you can damage with regular weapons is something about 20 meters tall. Anything further than that and it doesn't matter what your sick stats say, the damage is dealt to a far too limited area of the creature's body that the damage is negligible.
>But I'm targeting virtal areas!
So think the insects that bite you. (Some of them do have deadly poison, but deadly poison can work on giant critters if you've got enough of it!)

Either way, this doesn't mean they're unkillable. You just have to bring out the big guns. Fights get really fun when you have to use ballistae instead of crossbows.

You could look into Exalted and the Kukla, a Lesser Earth Dragon bound by the gods that if released, will shatter Creation into five parts. The creature is miles long, a living, volcanic mountain range determined to grind all that is down to dust. On the one hand it has no stats and the book states outright that trying to fight it means you lose, but Exalted is all about beating those sort of odds and your predecessors have beaten worse anyway.

There is also Ishika, the Grass Cutter Scythe, a behemoth from the fey lands that appears as a scorpion made of teeth, and so large it can't target anything smaller than "this entire side of Creation"

How about you stop statting for babby manlet Tarrasque and start statting for the real deal.
And before anyone tries to give me the old "well, ASHKTUALLY, the Tarrasque is meant to be a stand-in for Godzilla, so-" No. I don't care.
When you want something, want something done right, you don't use a half-assed stand-in. You use the real deal.

Throw Godzilla at your players and watch them learn what it means to be insignificant.

I like the way you think, you could probably make a story about Shin Godzilla popping out of the ocean and developing/evolving in order to devour the gods of that setting

Shin, while busted as fuck and a perfect monster to use in a Cthulut-esque existential-horror game, is just one of a handful of overpowered Godzillas to throw at players.

>GhidoGoji un-erased himself from a time paradox "because"
>BurningGoji could have bathed the entire earth in nuclear hellfire when he melted down, and only didn't because Godzilla Junior absorbed the radiation
>MireGoji2 and the Godzilla from Half-century War both escaped from a black hole
>FinalGoji is unquestionably the most powerful live-action Godzilla ever; fights through an army of monsters without breaking a sweat, gets hit in the face with a meteor and doesn't flinch, strong enough to throw a monster more than twice his weight clear over his shoulder, and has a beam strong enough to push that same monster into escape velocity
>Godzilla in Hell sees him murder his way through Hell, murder Satan/Chthulu/who-the-fuck-ever, and revives himself by assimilating the trillions of hellspawn insects that devoured him

Any one of thse Godzillas would present an insurmountable opposition to players, and I haven't even touched on the bullshit that is Adult AniGoji yet.

>it can obliterate anything within a couple of miles of you by rolling over slightly
Can it though? Can you kill a bacteria by rolling over?

However killing one of these types of monsters is more like a campaign than an encounter for example.
>The ancient dragon the size of a continent has begun to stir, soon he will wake up
>Entire countries live on his back, if he awakens entire civilizations will be destroyed
>The party must find a way to enter the dragon and kill it or put it back to sleep
>The body of the creature is akin to a dungeon filled with numerous monsters

Using the mountain analogy you don't grind it down, you dig a tunnel under it, fill it with an few nukes and set them off.

Don't forget the 300m tall metal plant

Not if you enter it and destroy it's vital organs over the course of a campaign.

You could always do shit like cut the achilles or the equivalent then go drilling for arteries.
Insects do jack shit to us because their weapons are made out of chitin and are about as blunt as butterknifes whereas we can wield swords made spefically for cutting soft flesh like those giant 5 foot sushi chef tuna knives. Ontop of that you don't even need poison give everybody a handful of nails or something and watch the embolism form or just plain work the arteries till it bleeds out. At that size there's no feasibly way for the wound to clot shut the blood pressure to move blood through the body would prevent an arterial leakage from staunching in such a manner.
Big guns could obviously do more damage but you give metal weapons and human made objects too little credit.

I've always been partial to the "Metroid Boss Approach", whereby you divide the giant baddie in to a bunch of separate locations / body parts that need to be dealt with in turn. Those can be "encounters", with characteristics and attacks based on stuff the monster is just incidentally doing (assuming it doesn't notice the PCs at all). Meanwhile you can have a fight timer going by way of the monster making attacks against the "city" or whatever.

>so why even bother
Well, that's the age-old question, isn't it?

I mean, that's all true (think about the whale-butchering sequence from Moby Dick, for instance) but the problem is that if you're close enough to something that size to poke it, you're just going to get incidentally squished. Biting insects may have "just" chitin to protect them, but that's a lot more effective protection on their tiny bodies than any equivalent weight of armor is on ours. Remember your square-cube law. And most of them can fly, with incredible speed and agility relative to their size. You can smack a beatle or mosquito out of the air, applying G forces to it that would quite literally pulverize your guts, and have it survive (relatively) unscathed.

And yes, I'm well aware how ludicrous it is bringing up square-cube in a thread about godzilla monsters.

like natural disasters
you donĀ“t fight them
you go out of their way and try to handle the aftermath of their destruction

>Not if you enter it and destroy it's vital organs over the course of a campaign.
I assume you're going inside it, in this variation? Some kind of D&D Fantastic Voyage campaign or something?

I think this post is on the good way.
It just ignores the other aspect - what if the monster retaliate? Auto-kill, unless dodged?

I specifically neglected to talk about Adult AniGoji because we've barely seen what he can do. He's already hit impossible-tier through what little we've seen of him, but let's let him have his next two movies so we can see the full extent of his power.

As natural catastrophe like events or as dungeons.

It's actually really easy, it's right there in the rules : you position your character so that his "threatened" area covers the "occupied" space of the creature. Then you roll a D20, add to its result any relevant modifiers that would apply to this roll and compare the final result to the AC of the creature. If your modified roll is strictly superior to the AC of the creature, you inflict damages (depending on the weapon used) that are then subtracted to total of Hit Points of the creatures ; when those reach 0, it gains the "Dead" status and is generally considered vanquished.

Honestly there's really nothing else for it but to enter the beast from the anus, not even magical realming:
The mouth is basically a final boss chamber, large, wide, big boss monster to fight (the tongue) plus environmental threats like teeth and saliva - also higher than the rest of the body, need to do a long climb up essentially a mountain exposed to all external threats.

Anus though, safest opening no active threats, can make comfy base camp in rectum.

Then fight lesser intestinal beasts as you climb the caverns of the colon, making further camps in the corners between ascending, tranverse and descending colon. Final camp before the small intestines in the appendix, stock up on food supplies culled from the various beasts that emerge from small intestines before setting out up the small intestines.
Be some nasty tunnel fighting, and you'll need plenty of supplies to survive the long meandering journey through the small intestines, but if you can make it in one long journey you'll be set to set up a short term camp in the gall bladder, here you stock up on neutralising agents that are guaranteed to counter whatever hell conditions exist in the stomach proper, as well as examining the duodenum for clues as to conditions in the stomach, probably can fashion protective armor or even build some sort of reverse submarine from the skins of things that get through the stomach to the duodenum.

From there a final camp, strung up against the walls of the upper stomach and hanging above the turmult below to rest and prepare for the final ascent and defeat of the beast by making it choke to death on its own severed tongue.

Also: Lung treasure!

I was assuming PC's are probably too small to notice. If you needed to do something like that, probably auto-move the PC's to he "Head" location (to represent the monster turning to look at them) and then have the monster try and grab them or shoot fire or whatever. You can deal with attack, damage and saves however it makes sense for the attack.

Think about something like the sequence at the end of Cloverfield where the big beasty actually notices the party and snags Fat Bro. You definitely want to play this as an Oh Fuck moment.

Exalted has a 600 miles long dragon.
Not as big as you want but it's a start.

My problem is that any hit would be an auto-kill

>enter the beast from the anus
That's assuming it has an anus. Anything goes when you're dealing with creatures the size of a small nation.

Same law would mean those giants couldn't pull the G's needed to kill us without serious issue to them and in the same scheme you could probably jog up and grapple at the ankles just fine. Giant fishook style grapples will give you all the purchase you need and you'd see any swatting attempts a mile off which means you could just slide much further down the rope or hop off altogether.
At the sizes where actual weaponry would need to do whale-style butchery their movements would be molasses slow and you'd have plenty of boarding or halting options. More I think about it the more it seems like it'd be worse to make them fall before boarding instead of on the fly given their massive height could now fall in any direction possibly ontop of the attackers at their ballistaes max range.

even volcanos have anuses.

>enter the anus
>get shot with fire farts

>Can it though? Can you kill a bacteria by rolling over?
Its skin would have to be pretty rough and pitted for it to be even remotely the same, and even then a human being would have to make a run for some kind of indentation, unlike bacteria.

That's what I'm saying. As far as the rules go, it's not a creature, it's a campaign. Destroying it isn't a fight, but a complete adventure.

Handle Animal, with appropriate modifiers. And some poles if needs be.

Give them a dragonator as a ways to stop it and maybe give its weakpoints stats ;)

>enter it and destroy it's vital organs
Horse.
Cock.

What's stopping the characters from just getting crunched by regular bodily functions of a creature so large? I know cartoons always show hearts as being this tiny beating blob sitting in a big red cave with a nice flat floor, but that doesn't really make any sense.

I always liked the idea of towns/worlds/cities/islands/buildings/whatever being on the backs of giant creatures.

It can make sense in a giant monster.

There was an old setting Veeky Forums made all about that, but I've forgotten the name of the 1d4chan article if it still exists.

It was fucking awesome. You had each colossus as its own nation, sending zeppelins between them to enact trade and diplomacy, massive festivals when colossi came to mate followed by populations of both colossi disembarking to settle the new city-creature. You had nomadic surface-dwellers, the setting equivalent of death-worlders who lived on wheeled or tank-tread covered houses, traveling out of the way of giant footsteps and through a verdent and deadly underbrush. You had colossus wars where soldiers rappeled in between grappling giants while airships fired artillery and cannons, trying to strike down the other city as it fought. You even had a cityless colossus from the arctic, a great winged serpent that hunted down other colossi to devour them, acting as a safeguard against the very real problem of overpopulation in a world where your city requires lots of food and lots of space.

Funilly enough, it came originally from a dumb fetish thread where someone posted a big rocky colossus trying to fuck a giantess.

Giant monsters don't make sense, so suspension of disbelief is already loose. You've got as much wiggle room as you feel comfortable taking once we've gone this far.

That said, it's still fun hearing everyone's takes on the classic problem of dramatically large entities, and the weird shenanigans that it would take for this impressive set piece to enter the stage, or even become the stage.

So, to answer your question, the only thing that's stopping regular bodily functions from crushing characters is the DM, and how they want to set the scene. I could see a very easily picture bunch of people around a table revising their plan after the thief-ish type character got mushed after squeezing into an orifice.

Ahh... Those were fun threads.

Man that guy looks so fucking happy that that city is on his back. Must go up to all the flying hermit monsters and be like "Yo, yo check out this fiiiiiiiiiine ass city I gots me. Its got art and culture an shit on it. An also it worships me like a GOD. Fuckin A. Yo, yo where's yo city at?"

Gotcha covered.

1d4chan.org/wiki/On_the_Backs_of_Gods

user, you're the best ever.

Thing is, I want to keep issues around the square-cube law as far away as possible from my giant critters. For this reason, I just extrapolate on how I scale how it works almost 1:1. This includes how thick and dense the skin, muscles and bone structure are, etc.
> At that size there's no feasibly way for the wound to clot shut the blood pressure to move blood through the body would prevent an arterial leakage from staunching in such a manner.
See, giant creatures break down incredibly fast if you try to apply the logic of normal-sized organisms to it. I make it so that their skin and flesh is as resistant to our normal-sized objects as our skin and flesh is to an insect's chitin natural arsenal. Wounds provoked by really small objects will clot as fast as our's do when we get papercuts or prickle ourselves with needles. And they lose as much blood relative to their total mass in the time it took for it to clot that we do.

If you don't do this. the monsters REALLY break down, because it would mean that the 50 meters tall titan can cut itself and bleed to death just because it stepped on a wreckage with pointy bits.
In my mind, I can't make them frail to ridiculously tiny things without instantly associating it with the monsters being too realistic to work, and just collapse in on themselves.

Magdaros was the biggest disappointment in gargantuan monster hunter fights history

It's the dungeon or region, depending on specific scale of Truly Fuckhugery. I've run a 'fight through the monster's immune system and kill its brainstem' as a dungeon before, as well as huge-ass monsters basically just used as the home for mobile civilizations so you have to board them cause, guess what, that's where the fucking goblins live.

No, that's why you use Heavy Artillery. And eat for Felyne Pyro.