MTG Finance General - Feb 26 2018

Interesting Finance: mtgstocks.com/interests
Finance Discord: discord. gg/U5Yh4Vj
American Marketplace: tcgplayer.com
European Marketplace: cardmarket.com
Derivative Marketplace: speedmtg.com

What has happened so far:

Challenger Decks - How far will prices drop?
Jace, the Mind Sculptor hits FNM - How did it look at your store?
Penny Stocks - What specs do you have?
Reserved List - Any spikes or news?
Bears - What's going to drop?
Bulls - What's going to gain?

Topics from last time:

Shorting cards = Borrowing or renting cards that will fall in value, selling them, then buying them back later at the lower price to keep the profit between the values.

Options = Reserving the right to do something like buy a card for a fee.

Other urls found in this thread:

da.co.la.ca.us/contact/forms
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>investing in collectibles
>the year 2020-2

I can make money of it, so why not? It's so easy I don't even know how people could lose money playing magic. I don't know why people call it an expensive hobby, it's not if you're not dumb about it.

my investments from nov/dec/january/early feb :

modern =
- phantasmal image x12
- tireless tracker x55 (x15 Ch-T)
- quicksilver fountain x15
- champion of the parish x30
- thalia's lieutenant x25
- thalia, heretic cathar RUS x20
- ramunap excavator x5
- spell queller JAP x10
- solemnity JAP x10
- hissing quagmire x25 (10 Ch-T)
- inventor's fair x4
- whir of invention x4
- thespian stage x12
- collective brutality Ch-T x10
- mayor of avabruck JAP x20
- grafdigger's cage Ch-T/JAP x25
- mausoleum wanderer x7

EDH/legacy non RL :

- tainted pact x6
- dark depths FTV x7

RL :
- humility JAP x15
- helm of obedience x25
- mana vortex x20
- thought lash x8
- intuition x6
- telekinesis ITA x6
- Hellfire ITA x18
- badlands FWB x3
- plateau rev/fwb x8
- bayou FWB x2
- savannah FWB x2
- scrubland Rev x5
- serra's sanctum x4
- volrath's stronghold JAP x8
- yavimaya hollow JAP x10
- tundra FWB x2
- tolarian academy JAP x2
- griffin canyon KOR x2
- pendrell mists x4
- city of solitude x5
- hall of gemstone x4
- stroke of heat x2
- meditate JAP x2

whoops, forgot in non RL :
- phyrexian unlife JAP x4
- sylvan safekeeper judgment FOIL x4

and in RL :
- willow satyr ITA x3
- gilded drake FR x4
- ancestral knowledge x1 (:3)

>why not
* Collectibles in general are the first thing to lose value in an economic downturn. Economies function in cycles, so there will inevitably be a downturn. When this happens, collectibles lose value very very quickly.
* Magic cards have no value intrinsically if they are not being played. For cards like dual lands, their cost now exceeds the prize pool of the events where these cards would be used. This is the same for "bad" cards on the reserved list. This is an indication that the only people "investing" in these cards are speculating. Sure, you can make money off speculation, but it's risky because you might be the one left holding things with inflated prices.
* The amount of effort required to keep up in a collectibles market is not worth it for the money you gain.

There is a moment in life you have to start to take risks, otherwise you are paralized by fear all the time and you miss all the good opportunities. I know because i was like you before, always announcing the imminent economy collapse (beause yes, all the warning signs are fucking RED since years) and living in constant fear since the 2008 credit default swap crisis, waiting to take advantage of a future crisis never coming.
One day i've said 'enough' to myself, grabbed my balls and started to invest in various placements, it gave me back confidence, not in the system, but in myself.

Try it buddy, life is too short to not giving a try. Just don't risk more than what you can't afford to lose.

I'm not saying investing is bad. I'm saying investing in collectibles is bad. If you found a way to make money from it or to feel better about yourself, then good for you! People made money off stamp collecting too. Sometimes it's fun to play around with this kind of stuff. But treating it as a serious method of financial security or income is foolish.

>goes outside local game store

TREATING YOUR BUSINESS LIKE A METHOD OF FINANCIAL SECURITY OR INCOME, DESPITE PROVABLY PROVIDING FINANCIAL SECURITY AND INCOME, IS FOOLISH.

*angrily tips fedora and walks away*

Is this what the anti-finance crowd is like? Goddamn neanderthals, all of them.

>collectibles
>finance

Yeah sure, keep telling yourself that, buddy. When's the last time you saw a store carrying baseball cards?

There's not a lot of game stores that can make money off reselling collectibles. FLGSes make money off Standard, not reselling. If any stores have a "collectibles" binder, it's very small and limited.

>When's the last time you saw a store carrying baseball cards?

Haha is your argument whether or not I can provide an anecdote about being in a store that carries baseball cards?

No wonder the anti-finance crowd always wants reprints, they must be as retarded as you in real life and consequently so terrible with money that they can't afford a few bucks for collectibles. You probably can't even comprehend how dumb you are and you shouldn't be talking in a big-boy forum where us adults can talk about making money with finance you absolute full retard. You can leave the profit to us, we'll get along just fine without you.

>quicksilver fountain

Did that start seeing play?

>all of these wet blankets itt

jesus christ you faggots need to have some fun in your lives.

>anything not RL

your doing it wrong.

Die in a fire.

Stop being poor.

Stop defrauding people.

>defrauding

bruh other people choose to buy them no pressure here [laffo]

Bruh you just pump and dump cardboard rectangles from a children's game.

checked and truth.

That's why I laugh so hard when people get so buttmad at others like me who horde rectangles for profits later on.

communist swine desu.

not at all but i got them from a lot at 0.16€/p, low risk invest

i love the quick bucks, i can't help myself :3, and i only chosed post t2 rotating cards, so i'm safe from reprint for at least two more years, my only losing bet in this modern pile of shit so far is spell queller.

i love the lefties tears, don't you ? they have a special flavour who make them so special, especially when they look at my binders with rage and envy but can't say shit or i rise up the price in front of them with a cornered smile

Eh at a GP I did help a guy out for a goyf because he needed it last minute, he threw in a MM aether vial since he was short 5 bucks, nigga must have need it last second or something.

literally the only time I had ever done anything like that.

no pity for the poorfags, i respect this. Knowing myself i would have said fuck it and offered the 5 missing bucks, that's why i'm not a millionaire i guess =(

>being a hoarder in denial

A thread died for this cancerous piece of shit. I hope you're proud of yourself OP.

My girlfriend is proud that I can provide for her too because I'm not retarded and poor.

good,good let your anger flow through you.

Post your fucking hoard if you're such a hot shit clairvoyant floppy taco speculator. Fucking smugposting reddit scum, I swear.

Finance thread?

This is how you "invest" in magic:

>get a bunch of zendikar fetches from VZ (remember to get the newest batch)
>find one of the autis.... I mean dear "investors"
>tell him you have a bunch of zen fetches and you want to unload them all, as you're done with magic
>offer average price minus 20-25% per fetch to avoid making him suspicious (and maybe a special "discount" if he takes all of them)
>rake in free money

If the autist is careful enough to carry jewelry loupe, and he actually knows the correct rosette patterns then just play dumb, and find another suck... I mean "investor" to unload your fetches.

This is how you make money on magic cards.

sorry nigga but EXIF data is a thing bud and I don't post personal info on Image Boards like a fucktard.

yummy so tasty, would i be pushing too far if i asked you for a lil more tears ?

>Challenger Decks - How far will prices drop?
Fatal Push and Ballista will still be expensive.
>Jace, the Mind Sculptor hits FNM - How did it look at your store?
Jace is dead, bury it.
>Penny Stocks - What specs do you have?
Not telling you.
>Reserved List - Any spikes or news?
No
>Bears - What's going to drop?
Everything you own
>Bulls - What's going to gain?
Everything I own.

Do it. I report all fakes to the police and have a 1 in 4 conviction rate.

da.co.la.ca.us/contact/forms

Trying to sell counterfeits, even if you don't think they're counterfeit or EVEN IF YOU LEGITIMATELY DON'T KNOW THEY'RE FAKE, is illegal.

>MTG Finance

it's a risky game you play user, hopefully i know you are a spineless faggot and that you don't even dream to be this ballzy

yea sorry to break it to you but Villa Zheng's fakes aren't even that good bro

Those are also the people that think investing in magic cards is immoral.

You know, literal thieves. Trying to teach mtg finance people about morals. I bet he's a social justice warrior too. Seriously low IQ right here boys.

I have sold a bunch of fakes to "investors" already. Got caught once (long story short - autist armed with jewelry loupe and a real zen fetchland to compare rosette paterns), just lied my way out.

> EVEN IF YOU LEGITIMATELY DON'T KNOW THEY'RE FAKE, is illegal.

Yup, this is why you lie your way out, cancel the deal and tell the guy you're sorry because you had no idea that your stuff was fake.

Also another tip - never ever trade fakes around your LGS/Hometown. Random GPs/big conventions are the best place to sell/trade fakes to "investors". If they won't catch you red handed you have 100% chance to get away with it.

Thank you guys for being so financially sound to invest in magic cards. Thanks to you I already build a bunch of tiered modern decks with legit cards (unless someone shafted me on deals like I do to you) for a fraction of their normal price.

hello satan, of course you would be the one selling the fakes

That's why I said "Zen fetches" those are actually good.

yeah hopefully (for their ass) they are mostly larpers, personally after hundreds of mcm trades i never have been scammed once.

sure thing satan, mind to provide a pic of your zen fakes?

These are the only fakes I own at the moment (or at least the only fakes I'm aware of), 3 lands here are fake, one is real. Have fun guessing.

Good god get better lighting you fucking faggot, sell more fake fetches, get a new overhead.

nigga u can print shit out on ur home printer and take a shit quality photo and say 'lel try to guess which one is real xD' and noone would be able to get it.

fakes are still easily spottable in person

also 2nd one is real

You wanted to see some fakes, I gave you fakes, for some reason I don't feel obliged to help you here with my poor lightning.

Another reason why GPs/Conventions are good to sell fakes - you actually can play a person who's in a rush, so you arrange your "trade" to take as little time as possible. The more people around, the bigger noise is, the better for you as all those factors weaken the attention to details of your targ... I mean dear and valued "trade partner".

Also people who are trying to sell fakes on mcm an/or using any traceable data are retards who deserve to be caught.

Disclamer: I have never sold even a single fake to a regular player or some actual big fish, all my targets are just "wannabe investors" you find here and there.

Sometimes I wish there was a way to sell fake cryptos, as the crypto crowd seems almost as gullible as mtg "finance" peps.

wow look at my 2 mox bet you cant tell which one is real

>also 2nd one is real

actually the real one is the 4th one . 2nd one might seem real because the set symbol looks less blurry when compared to the others on my shitty pic.

>waxing philosophical about a TCG.

shit, man, if there's an apocalypse i hope someone grabs their sleeved up decks because there's going to be a lot of downtime in between scavenging for food and building shelters.

a LGS carries hockey cards specifically. i've asked about them in disbelief, and the employee dished that people spend 100s at a time on them.

I have friends that buy 2000 dollar boxes of baseball cards still user

Do I sell my colonnades? I bought 2 for $30 a couple years ago and now seems as good of time as ever to ditch 'em.

You can easily remove EXIF from your pic. Also Veeky Forums probably does this for you anyway.

sell you fool!!

List them right now and buy something with cool art from Legends.

>previous thread dies better make a new thread
Great OP, maybe you'll break 100 this time.

Last thread didn't die until after this one started btw, it's because it lived for over a day but is a daily thread concept. Keeps us up to date.

You realize people can just post new information in the old thread right? Making daily threads just makes you look like a spamming tool.

Ask yourself if coming ahead $60 is worth it in the long run. If you're never going to play modern or an eternal format again, then yeah, there's no reason not to.

Actually I put in about $20k/year and get $45k/year out or so. It's not that much, but at over $1k/month it feels nice.

BREAKING NEWS

MTGLION IS UNDER DCI INVESTIGATION ROFL

Will be banned for speaking up about pedophile judges.

mtglion is a dip anyways, who cares?

>someone actually bitched to wotc about mtglion vids
now that’s just sad

The real question is how much of your time is involved in doing so.

Someone probably followed his shitty advice and got buttmad when he got no gainz

>tfw based wotc does a common sense rarity shift to sustain my investment
My fellow israelites can I have an oy vey OY GEVALT?!

>10x foil wwk Stoneforge Mystic
>30x wwk Stoneforge Mystic
>10x GP Stoneforge Mystic
>20x Batterskull
>10x GP Batterskull
My investment will pull off one day

>akroma

Why is Rings of Brighthearth worth anything? Shit's winmore as fuck.

edh

Casuals.

it's not like anyone really care, his vid are shit and he know it

ouch, feelsbadman

Got it, thanks. I'm going through a lot of my old shit and some cards appreciated... not as well as other things would have, but well enough.
gonna cash some in for dbs, need them determined gohans

Filthy, filthy, filthy fucking CASUALS.

I bet they don't even do options at their LGS's.

It's the truth, casuals like those kind of effects.

Diversify, nigga. You need something to fall back on for when WotC fucks up your market. This shit should be treated a hobby or something you pump millions in per year.

>This shit should be treated a hobby or something you pump millions in per year.
You mean *not* right?

Nah I enjoy pumping my millions into this every year. Just like God intended.

No, you should either a big player who can profit by nickle and diming large amounts of cards, or an enthousiast who is content with small profits from a few RL cards they got their hands on.

Ah, I got the latter down pat.

What's the "foil multiplier" on average?

3. It's a lot more for earlier sets.

Thanks.

I've found it very easy to double my money with options, and with very little money put forward. Since it's not used often, it's still easy to make money with. I mostly get naked otm options that expire after 3-6 months and wait for the money to roll in.

Doing God's work user.

>selling fakes at GPs/cons
Really? They wanna play wolf of wotc but don't want to look closer?

Have they fixed the divot in the letter "D" in Deckmasters yet? That's one of the big tells besides the shitty backs. You don't even need a jewel loupe for it, just decent eyes

why do fake cards trigger people so much? they're just playing cards.

>They wanna play wolf of wotc but don't want to look closer?
These are bandwagon-jumpers, user.

Because people in my area have been known to sell fakes to kids and tell them the cards are pack fresh opened from boosters. The existence of fakes themselves doesn't trigger people, but what is done with them is the problem. For me I draw the line when an 8 year old starts crying in my LGS because they're informed that the $400 their parents gave them to buy cards has been wasted. That is what makes me angry about fakes.

But Rudy goes into good detail about how to spot chinaman fakes. Most of the time, it's pretty obvious, especially older Chinaman fakes too.

Top of the line Nikon Loupes are $100, and for big boy investors, that's literally nothing. Shit, $50 ones will suffice.

>giving an 8 year old $400
>8 year olds play modern
Uh what?

>giving 400 to an 8 year old so he can play MtG

>the $400 their parents gave them to buy cards has been wasted
Well that goes without saying.

buying into Standard is like buying chink fakes

People are overconfident in their ability to just eyeball it, it seems.

Shit dude I sold a fake underground sea to a lgs last year for 250. It's easy as fuck to do so because most lgs's are supervises by part time turd bugler yugioh players who don't know the difference. Just do it out of city if you are that worried.

i honestly think adding high quality fakes into circulation is only going to be beneficial to MTG in the long run

I'd like to buy a bunch of fakes to play modern, but fuck it's hard to find the cards I need.