EDH/Commander General

BIG RED edition

Previously: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
How much do you think you're going to pick up from Masters 25?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/pride-kraul-2017-05-31
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tokens-i-guess-1/?cb=1519710619
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-02-18-circu-lantern-control/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-02-18-a-rose-by-any-other-name/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Thread Question
I'll do 1-2 drafts, then trade with people

>How much do you think you're going to pick up from Masters 25?
so far i might pick up an imperial seal but other than that nothing is really screaming buy me

shit set so far desu

imperial recruiter*

Reposting from the end of last thread:
Your playgroup is doing a Guild pact night, where your decks have to be lead by a commander of one of the past or present leaders of the Ravnica Guilds!
Which commander do you choose and why?

>Guild Pact night
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord or Tibor and Lumia.

Jarad is fun for the sake of throwing bestow creatures or ones with persist.

T&M because I could build it as colors/keywords matter and choose what burns while storming off.

Azor because that shit is HOT off the press

>Thread Question
Imperial Recruiter
Fuck those shitty ass niggas, they're responsible for exasperating everything. I am a peace loving subsistence farmer now

Oloro is one oppressive bastard. I always play against very tuned decks (no onw runs him as anything other than stax) and they always seem one step ahead of me

I really hopw they stop.with eminence style abilities.

>TQ
I will pick up three boosters to get my fix of cardboard crack, and I will probably pick up a foil this or that for Commander eventually regardless, but I'm waiting on multiple abusive card quality testing videos before I think about more than that and I'm depressed to say so.

>$80 spent on proxies
>would have been $500 on actual cards
Chinaman is the fucking best. Fuck the secondary market. Teeg gonna be happy

Can you cast Akroma for her morph cost every time to avoid the commander tax?

Sure, but because the rules forbid shuffling face-down cards around, they'll always know which one is her, even if you have other morphs.

>>Thread Question
>How much do you think you're going to pick up from Masters 25?
Probably gonna get all the cards I'm already using, because my playgroup uses Un-cards, so long as they aren't obscenely stupid.

It's my main deck too, I'm only not that knowledgable about his lore

Ulasht, the Hate Seed because I already have one and it's quite fun to play.

Whether they know what it is or not doesn't really matter, avoiding commander tax is the important bit.

Morph is just an alternate cost. You will still have to pay the commander tax.

I don't think he was part of a ravnika guild?

He's in the Golgari. And he's got plans.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/pride-kraul-2017-05-31

You won't be able to avoid it. It will be 3 colorless + any commander tax when you use her morph cost from the command zone. And morphing still counts as casting her from the command zone and continues to tick up the tax.

Interesting. I wish more commander legendaries had written stories. The original ones only had sentence blurbs in the insert.

Then that's a completely different answer than was originally given.

I think the first person was just saying "yeah" in that you can morph it from the command tax. If they were agreeing that it avoided the tax, then they were incorrect.

>>Can you cast Akroma for her morph cost every time to avoid the commander tax?
>Sure
No, sounds like they were just wrong and didn't know what they were talking about.

Rip in peace

ELADAMRI'S CALL

>Thread Question
So far, not a single pack. Not that the set looks bad, but there's nothing in it that we know of that makes me want to buy just yet.

Rakdos the Defiler. Suiciding all over the playgroup sounds like a fun time.

let’s see those opening hands

i think i can keep

Doran?

Oh rad. I got one for free when my friend gave me his collection, but I'll enjoy seeing more of this

Who is the Chaddest commander in R/G?
...That isn`t Xenagos.

try again

Ruric-thar

Ruric Thar or Angry Borbo. Leaning towards thar, because he fistfucks puny spellslingers

Thar has literally never even seen an instant

How important are 1-drops, iyo?

Working on a Mayael deck, what are some good big fat creatures with ETB effects?

Also Guild Feud is hilarious

>has literally never seen an instant
>6666 better than the devil himself
>attacks whenever possible
>lost a hand to he could attach an axe

>two heads, always alert

Oddly enough, i have a Ruric Thar on hand. Just never yet settled on building him.

Also have some unused red elemental blast/pyroblast/gutteral response lying around.

Someone post that MTGO chatlog of the puny blue player who tried to counter Thar but took a big fat Red Elemental Blast up the ass

depends on the deck
I dont have expensive duals so I play a lot of tapped lands in 3 color decks

>lives by his creed and will punish himself if need be

He's even doing a confident stride in his art

someone do the chad ruric thar vs some non chad maze runner

>The Virgin Baral
>not strong enough to cast spells for their full CMC, has to discount them
>isn't happy with people trying to play cards
>only plays creatures with flash and an etb effect
>literally never taken a combat step
>cantrips counters into more counters because they're scared of someone playing near them
>1/3 body, couldn't trade with a Craw Wurm
>wears a mask and cloak to hide his weak frail girlbody
>one head, tunnel visioned on countering spells

>The Chad Ruric Thar
>casts big creature spells for their full CMC, pockets full of lands
>has never seen an instant
>takes every combat step, and doesn't tap so everyone can have a turn with Assault Suit
>let's people enjoy casting their spells
>punishes people for casting spells, including himself
>powerful 6/6 body, trades with a FLYING Craw Wurm
>wears minimum amount of clothes to maintain dignity but show off hot bod maintained by self discipline
>two heads, always alert

>the chad ruric
>the virgin thar

Azusa for Gitrog, Obliterator for whatever mono-black I have atm. Maybe Thalia for later, if she drops to about 10

>Added Viridian Longbow to Hapatra
>Give a snake token the bow to make repeatable removal
>Give a wither dude the bow to make more snake tokens (and also slower repeatable removal)

Holy shit she was fun to play before but this card may have just cranked her up to 11.

Thanks for the tech, lad

GRUUL RAGE BEAST. IT'S REQUIRED FOR FUCKING OVER CONTROLLER PLAYERS

>>Thread Question
>mfw my group has allowed me to build Grusilda
Obliterator, without question.

is there a way to break aluren in edh and if so is temur the best way to do so?

I've been struggling to have any success in my play group recently. I've only been playing the format for a year about and I have been steadily adding improvements to my deck, I'm still basically just an annoying insect whenever I play instead of a threat.
Here's my deck btw tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tokens-i-guess-1/?cb=1519710619

Lantern control?

Yea it's circu Lantern Control

Animar with bounce creatures and Teeg spring to mind.
With Commanders Aluren can modify their CMC to 0 but you still pay the tax on top of that.

Do you have a list?

Secure the Wastes, Beastmaster Ascension and Triumph of the Hordes. There are lots of room to make yourself a bigger threat, those are the first 3 that pop into my head for token decks.

I have the first 2 cards, but damn, that third one made me lean forward in my seat to make sure I was reading it right. Looks like that card is going on my "need to add" list.

Also, Hornet Queen, Avenger of Zendikar, and Elspeth, Sun's Champion.

Emmara Tandris

Would keep for sure

Furthermore: Intangible Virtue, Anointed Procession, Parallel Lives, Martial Coup, and if you want to break the bank: Doubling Season.

Don't listen to these wrong anons
Build Angry Bory and your life will change forever
Best gruul general ever

I long for the day of a jund lands matter commander so that omnath/borb can join gitrog in value town.

Good. It's so annoying seeing whiny, entitled commander players abloobloo on his blog about color identity shit that only affects commander.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-02-18-circu-lantern-control/
Still a work in progress

What is this about?

Are you lost? Do you know what thread you're posting in?

>2 lands

Dog shit

Thanks for the recommendations.

I kept it. Great Furnace was my t1 draw

I'm getting Azusa for sure, probably, Imperial Recruiter.
Gisela at mythic is a real shame but it's tempting to pick one up because muh watermarks. It's like old border and not disgusting set symbol, or new border, awful set symbol, but watermark.

What's wrong with the old Set Symbol? Are you a werewolf?

Nothing. I'm saying my choices are not having an awful set symbol (AVR), or having an awful set symbol but with a neat watermark (m25).

Ahh nvm. Yes, the 25 Symbol is ass

I will not keep this hand

Bonus to anyone who gets this

It's pretty obviously OG Rakdos.

>think "post opening hand no mulligans" is dumb as fuck but always feel like I'm alone seeing nobody else contests this shit.

U right you durty bastard

Was it that obvious?

>keeping a 2 mana hand without enough artifacts to activate mox

Big retard timmy cmc gave it away.

It That Betray's is a dead giveaway. Also, patrician taste user.

Does anyone have a decklist that fully utilizes Sunforger (that isn't voltron)? I just picked one up and I want to try it out.

Looks like the gamble payed off, this time.

My bag is in my car or I would post a more recent picture.

>that isn't voltron
Does not compute. SFM, Puresteel Paladin, Stonehewer Giant, Godo, and, to a lesser extent, Leonin Shikari all enable Sunforger to be fully utilized. It's staple for all voltron decks that can run it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-02-18-a-rose-by-any-other-name/

Any quick and easy fixes for my “Literally threw this together tonight” Elenda deck?

>10 dollar packs
>get this as a mythic
>”m-muh drafting environment”

Imagine the pain of pulling Akroma or Gisela. Jesus this set is not shaping out well at all.

Can't steal the chase mythic spotlight from Jace.

Shit like this is why I will never buy packs. Singles only. Opening a trash mythic or rare is one of the worst feels in all of magic. Especially a 10$ pack. Also with the shitty card stock from specialty sets that are sold in fucking wal marts now.

I'm just paying attention for the commons. Specifically common Wonder.

the uncertainty of whether you'll draw a trash mythic or some 100 dollar cardboard messiah is the reason why a certain subset of people are addicted to buying booster packs. if you haven't realized it yet, MTG, and masters sets especially, are essentially gambling. i wish it weren't so but it probably makes them a shitload of money to fleece actual gambling addicts out of their money. you'll hear rationalizations like "it's a good investment" and "i have a job so i don't mind paying 1000 dollars for some cardboard" from these people, and it's a little sad because they actually have a genetic quirk that makes them susceptible to fall for this stuff.

Holy fucking shit, this. Fuck wizards for pandering to draftfags with every possible set. Reprint sets should be for getting shit into players hands, a balanced draft environment shouldn't even be a factor.

Yeah man its bad. Gambling is no joke, especially when they rationalize it their own minds. I don't mind spending maybe 50$ on some much needed reprints for my decks, but just shooting in the dark with packs or a box? Not for me. I used to open packs every now and then, and while I did get some home runs, the trash mythics always made it seem not worth.