Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

How do you like the Time sphere handbook playtest and its E X T R A * S W I F T * A C T I O N? The Fracture and the Time Knight? How is this for a Ssalarn book?
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?552108-Drop-Dead-Studios-Time-Handbook-Open-Beta-Alternate-Timeline

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/PUMYw1zC
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Energy-Drain-and-Negative-Levels
lost.spelljammer.org/ShatteredFractine/critters/monsters/spiritwarrior.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope they change the Slayer, Rogue, and Fighter archetypes to stack with their SoM counterparts.

Fracture's great, just wish it stacked better with stuff. Using AoOs as a self-recharging resource is actually genius.

Second for Taldor, and the incoming Player’s Guide for the AP sensation that’s sweeping the nation!

Tell me about the memegames. How is Legacy going?

I hear FotJR crashed and burned.

I want to know if there's any memegame drama happening.

Sounds pretty legit, good on you for having fun. Getting to fight Mecha-Hitler is on my bucket list.

I was playing Hell's Vengeance but it seems like our campaign dried up and died all of a sudden when our DM just stopped showing up to run. We're kind of worried about him, but the situation is more complicated than I want to get into here. Anyway, point is, I miss my Hell's Vengeance game but it was really the people I played with that carried it moreso than the AP itself and fortunately we'll soon be starting an Ironfang Invasion game to fill the recently vacated timeslot.

I haven't been on /pgg/pfg/ in two months. What have I missed in the interim?

How do you guys deal with a GM that refuses to hand out adequate wealth?

Define adequate wealth

The Outlander died and Aladdin is fucking the rest of the cast

average PC wealth

If you can't talk do your GM about it like an adult, or if you do and they refuse, then suck it up or join a new game.

I got invited to a group 4 of varying experience which is starting from level 1. One guy wants to bring a Bloodrager, which I assume is going to be a melee combatant, who is probably going to take care of the enemy elimination role.

I think I'm going to take a backseat and do something like a battlefield control role. I'm thinking Wilder, so I can be the main caster and not be a pain in the ass by throwing massive curveballs at the DM and taking powers to allow of skillmonkey and martial niche protection.

What are some other classes, preferably Tier 3 or below I should look at?

The rogue and fighter I get, but the slayer is kinda lame.

How is PLD doing?

Lysander got turned into a big titty fox girl and then mind controlled.

So I'm watching the Fullmetal alchemist movie. What's the best sphere class to represent Alphonse Elric? Let's assume im playing the DSP Astreidi race or whatever the sentient armors we're.

Sounds familiar... How’s Cashmere?

Go watch Brotherhood instead. Please.

What the fuck is even PLD and why is player agency held in so little regard

Poorly Lewded Demons is a game where the concept when advertised was "Are you ready to make characters that will get raped?"

With a lead-in like that I assume you're smart enough to realize what kind of degeneracy will come from that.

Question for ya'll on Veeky Forums here.
While working through some homebrew stuff with a friend of mine the topic of Negative levels and ability drain came up, I assured him this wasn't really a problem due to the Restoration spells recovering ability drain and the like.
Within the text it also mentions that it can restore Negative Levels.
This prompted him to ask if you could use this to experience gain easily, as lower level = Lower experience need to level.
Looking into it, I'm not really sure, if you had a sufficiently powerful cleric Bash your character to death, use Raise Dead to Force two Negative Levels, get them down to Level 1 or so, and, for the sake of argument, had a stockade of Goblins in cages, could the Level 1 fighter or whatever he is Kill goblin by goblin individually released, gain the experience from it, level up to Level 2, get killed by the cleric or another party member, raised, and repeat this process until they've built up a buffer of Negative levels, followed quickly by a Greater Restoration for an effective Power Level?
So far I haven't found anything that really says that's impossible, do permanent negative levels leave the experience table intact?
Would this work?
Obvious counter is "You can't do that" but if you DM in a way that you wouldn't just Hand-Of-God prevent it, would it/could it work?

I actually did, a year or so back, I'm just watching the movie because I've got a few spare hours to burn.

Negative levels don't work like that

Weeping and gnashing of teeth, user.

What exactly am I missing here, Permanent Negative levels drop your level last I knew, and Greater Restoration, even regular Restoration, says it can restore Permanent Negative levels. I'm clearly missing something but I don't get *What*

they don't though

I assume you're coming from 3.5? It's changed in PF d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Energy-Drain-and-Negative-Levels

Nigger literally read the fucking section on Negative Levels.

Fuck me, yeah, direct issue from coming off 3.5, that's what I was missing, thank god

Negative levels, despite the name, don't actually interact with your leveling table, they function more like ability damage and ability drain respectively, or like temporary HP but in reverse.

For instance, when you take a negative level you don't lose class features, spells, or feats from levelling up, so a high level caster hit with Enervation will have his DCs lowered, but not the actual slots.

And when anyone tries to show excitement for a Paizo product they get ridiculed!

What class should I pick? I've been having choice paralysis, so I just rolled best 3 of 4d6 down the line. What are some Charisma-using gishes, since that seems to make sense.

Str: 17
Dex: 11
Con:11
Int: 13
Wis: 8
Cha: 16

>11 Con

i wouldn't go near melee

As they should be.

Paizo has proven time and again that they're utterly incapable of writing good content; both by the steady parade of shit ideas they keep stuffing books with, or by utterly bungling the few good ideas they have.

I was thinking perhaps a wilder with the well-known psicrystal share pain-vigor trick

Depends on how lethal your GM runs games, but I wouldn't melee with anything less than 12 CON.

>Using dreamscarred material
Nevermind, play an initiator that keys of CHA and you're gravy.

But the Taldor AP looks fun.

>Str and Cha
Paladin.

Avowed

I'll just have a backup dude prepared in a similar down-the-line fashion in case this dude bites the dust.

What's that?

3rd party class that's like the 3.5 warlock, but that has more support build in for different play styles. Goes very well with Str/Cha or Dex/Cha builds.

Ask the players or GM how LoBaF is going.

So did every other AP, prior to Paizo fucking it up with bland encounters, godawful side characters, and refusing to have any actual impact on the setting.

BIG
QADIRAN
COCKS

>best sphere class
I'm thinking either a Knight of Willpower Thaumaturge, or some multiclass between Incanter and Martial Mageknight.

FotJR is doing fine. Things are heating up now, with some PC backstory interweaving with the main AP plot.

I don’t know about the first two, but Paizo has explicitly stated the Taldor AP is going to have a major impact on the setting, same way Wrath of the Righteous (which they used as an example) canonically seals the Worldwound.

Oh you sweet summer child, you're being lied to. Because Wrath of the Righteous doesn't seal the World Wound. The Wound still exists in-canon, and is referenced in later books. Wrath has zero impact on the overall state of the world and the canon going forward. Everything that happens in it, only exists within the context of the AP.

I have no reason to believe this AP will be any different; and even if it ways, that doesn't have it from Paizo's hackneyed writing.

Oh hush, that’s not the point at all and you know it, no campaign ever has reshaped the overall lore. The point of WotR and it seems WftC is that the PCs do something more than stab a bad guy in a dungeon, they make history.

>Oh hush, that’s not the point at all and you know it, no campaign ever has reshaped the overall lore.
Then why are the claiming that this AP "has a major impact on the setting" if it actually has 0 impact?

>The point of WotR and it seems WftC is that the PCs do something more than stab a bad guy in a dungeon, they make history.
Literally every AP has the party saving the world or otherwise "making history"
Curse of the Crimson Throne involves changing the course of a nation-state, Jade Regent involves overthrowing a tyrant to put a new ruler in place, Reign of Winter can re-shape an entire corner of the world, Iron Gods creates a new deity, Hell's Rebels creates a new nation-state. And so on.

Pretending that WftC is somehow special and important because it does the exact same thing as the majority of preceding APs means you're either a poor excuse for a shill, or you really did swallow their pitch and beg for more.

Shifter got released and is apparently now being changed because they've finally listened to feedback that it's unplayable shit.

This of course accompanies an oozemorph nerf because 'holy fuck people were using it ways that we didn't intend despite it being absolute trash'.

tfw no rules for fantasy mecha

What did they change about oozemorph?

Breaking your code leaves you stuck as an ooze until you atone. Before it meant keeping everything but ooze-mode, since that was the only SU ability of the Archetype. Plus, abilities only function with Fluidic Form now, so shapeshifter races don't have an easy out anymore.

play BCG instead

But I have horrible taste

Well, I’m still a fan of Taldor, and this is precisely the campaign I’ve been wanting ever since I first saw they were putting it on ice due to company drama! I’ll shill the heck outta this campaign as soon as the Player’s Guide comes out tomorrow.

refluff a spiritualist summoner

why does paizo hate me

I mean, I understand that they want to add mechs to Starfinder. From there, it'd be a simple feat to backport them; they're just high end armor systems, if they're at all related to power armor, which they should be since power armor is only three or for rules away from being mechs already.

synthesist, not spiritualist
because

>starfinder
>things being added

Come on now.

Not much beyond breaking the few things that were actually making it playable. Like being able to be a natural shapeshifting race and use that to take a humanoid form, or breaking code and losing ooze-form.

Morphic weaponry is now only while ooze or while ooze-shifted, if you're changed to 'regular' humanoid form via a polymorph or other similar effect you cant use morphic weaponry etc etc.

Basically Paizo started screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOP HAVING FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!"

there's a new Starfinder book this month, man. Including playable robots. This is a confirmed thing; they're called SROs, apparently.

WHAT? WHERE.

What kind of setting would you like to have a campaign in and why?

I don't know the exact place; a friend keeps an eye on the Paizo boards, since the devs like to let things slip there from time to time. He just feeds my chat group choice quotes. This, for instance:
>“shapechanging astrazoans, rolling bantrids, undead borais, plantlike khizars, robotic SROs, or winged strix.”

Iblydos so we can have aggressively gay hunks, busty Amazonian babes and genuinely fun sword and sandal campaigns.

Don't believe his lies

You're certain they're lies?

Why is that robot wieldng the Moonlight Greatsword?

Because the Moonlight sword is a classic weapon of the Armored core series.

You.

I like you.

They're probably gonna be shit though. Hell, even power armor is underwhelming as fuck

Both the souls series and Armored Core are From games, and From jams that glowing whackystick into every game they possibly can.

Power Armor is only underwhelming because it doesn't hit the same levels that light and heavy armor do. There's, what, six power armors? five? versus the 20 some for each of the other weights.

SF needs a serious armory expansion.

thanks i like me too

They also put Michael Wilson and Seathe wherever they can.

Oh aren't there?

Requires some conversion:
lost.spelljammer.org/ShatteredFractine/critters/monsters/spiritwarrior.html

And Patches.

and 9ball/white glint

Thinking of running a lawful evil character in an otherwise heroic and edgy-heroic party. His or her main goal is acquiring gold and fame to establish a stronghold in the wilderness with a "if you will build it, they will come."

Just more of an amoral and selfish goal for which the character is not opposed to getting his hands dirty for. Should most DMs be okay with this?

The character is okay, the goal is a little funky. LE doesn’t strike me as the type to get real estate without knowing it will do what he wants it to.

I'm playing with the classic D&D goal of gold & glory, and obtaining enough of it that you become a warlord and political player in your own right, owning castles and that sort of thing. And the classic sociopathic tendencies of players.

Logs or bullshit.

the problem is it makes no sense. It's about the struggle between a Princess who wants to install Democracy against EVIL old men who want to keep to the stagnant old autocrat ways... set in an explicitly medieval world.

I mean, who talks like this?

"Tour de force (definition):
"a particularly adroit maneuver or technique in handling a difficult situation: The way the president got his bill through the Senate was a tour de force. a feat requiring unusual strength, skill, or ingenuity. [...]"

In my humble opinion, the definition above encapsulates this book. Within the very first pages of this chapter of this new War for the Crown adventure path, the nation of Taldor is brought to life. Not in small evolutionary increments, but more like the big bang or a lightning bolt hitting a pond of primordial soup. Immediately, the reader realizes that this nation of Golarion will no longer be overlooked, set aside, saved for later or just plainly ignored. Dramatic revelations abound, and it immediately dawns on any fan of Pathfinder and Golarion that the continent they all know and love has been shaken, and what they previously 'knew' about this continent was just a highlight of what really is. I now understand why Paizo waited to reveal Taldor so late. Like a magician pulling a cloth from a table to reveal a flight of white doves, Taldor takes to the air and mesmerizes everyone.

>I will not go into any detail whatsoever out of respect for Golarion fans out there, and to ensure those who will have the chance and privilege to play this AP from the perspective of a player will not be spoiled in any way. The secrets within this tome are just too precious to share or spoil... and my advice to anyone on these boards discussing this tome is to please save all the secrets for your players. The strength of the AP lies within the generosity of GMs out there I think: to sacrifice themselves and run this for their players, while having the fortitude to keep all the juicy revelations for themselves is no small feat."

If this isn't shilling on an epic level I don't know what is

>the problem is it makes no sense. It's about the struggle between a Princess who wants to install Democracy against EVIL old men who want to keep to the stagnant old autocrat ways... set in an explicitly medieval world

No it’s not!

Well, it is and it isn't, which is why kitchensink settings (atleast like this one) are the worst

It’s not shilling, it’s something called “passion.” Passion for a campaign, passion for a plot, passion for a theme! War for the Crown is able to evoke such passion from an average joe, who knows how we will react when we buy it? Wednesday can’t come soon enough, this will be the AP that makes /pfg/ love Paizo again!

Why would Paizo care about a few hundred autists on a Vietnamese Cave Painting BBS?

Fucking hell, this reads like the back of a goddamn cereal box. Not even the back of a bad fantasy book, but something even lamer and more self-righteous about itself. Fuck off Secret Wizard (if you're a real shill), or fuck off Rory (if you're playing it up for 'epic lulz').

>Skeletons are immune to cold damage
Makes sense
>Skeletons aren't immune to shock/electrical damage
???

No, no place in Golarion is really medieval because D&D has never been medieval.

Swords and armor doesn't automatically make something "medieval".

Enough electricity will still burn you to a crisp and char bones black.

i have no ideas for a character but the rest of the party is offense heavy
what would be FUN