Anyone done anything with this game?

So, A few years ago, a friend of mine gifted me a collection of books for Agone, a game I'd never heard of, and that seemed to have never quite caught on in it's English iteration (the french one was super popular though)

I've been running this game for almost a year now and, despite constants searching, the only websites I can find for it with a community are in french...
I was wondering if anyone else has found and tried using this RPG in some way, either playing it or using its setting.

I saw someone post about this game a little while back, apparently they've been posting english translations of some of the french only supplements in da archive thread?

(that was me...)

Ah. Any chance of linking to a collection? I am pretty curious.

I actually just put up a link in the archive thread this afternoon, I finished translating a new codex, Codex Medusa.

Found the link, thanks!

No problem! always happy to help someone find stuff for this game. It was practically lost not that long ago...

You're doing good work preserving and translating it. It's late over here, but hopefully the thread will last long enough in case I have any questions while browsing.

Giving this another bump before I sleep. Veeky Forums can always use more variety of games.

Tell us more about these books OP, are there any cool tables, monsters or spells?

well, the core book has some nice fumble and critical hit tables. Fumbles broken down by severity and skill group (Trials, Rogue, Courtly, Knowledge, or Occult) and for critical hits, damage type.

Monster wise, there are some interesting things, but the bestiary wasn't translated, and the scans made it very difficult to accurately translate, so I haven't had the willpower to work through it yet... Pic is from the bestiary.
Magic is really unique, its hard to explain it concisely, but the common magic (what the setting calls Mages) use small creatures called dancers to cast spells. and then there is the more rare but powerful Magical Arts (literal art that is magic). also demon summoning.
one of the biggest draws is character creation, it is fairly well designed so as not to be horribly confusing and has 12 nonhuman races, mostly non regular, though there are dwarves, all with detailed history and forms of magic that they practice.
Another draw is it's concept of corruption and innocence. characters start out as powerful individuals, at the peak of their career, and slowly discover the dark and disturbing forces that control their world, and try desperately to fight against it.
The main evil in the setting is pervasive, but also a mystery to the players, until they discover the shocking truth. and all the while fighting against the temptation to turn evil, for it is a setting where dying is difficult, but corruption is all but inevitable otherwise.

(forgot the picture)
there are some interesting creatures, but the main focus is on character building and noir (the books this was based off of where fantasy noir in their tone), so various forms of fantasy mystery.

here's a quick list of those races:

Spring:
>Sprites: short forest dwelling creatures with the power to make sentient moving plants, and special plant based weapons and armor.

>Spriggans: The city dwelling counterparts to sprites, they have abilities related to moving around cities and catching the dancers that you use for Ascendancy. Their powers are linked to mysterious beings known as the Souls of the Cities.

>Satyrs: Music loving, wanderlust obsessed, "romantic," charmers that have the ability to project their memories as realistic visions.

Summer:
>Giants: huge and wise beings who can commune with nature, they are rare and slow to anger, but when they are moved to violence, they are almost unstoppable.

>Minotaurs: the mysterious guardians of the abyss, cursed with metallic metal horns that kill their mothers at birth. Some have escaped from their underground cities to the surface, and formed a secret society with the intent of finding "The Beast" the mysterious "First Minotaur" and their mother "Beauty"

>Ogres: an intelligent, warlike race, who worship Diurne, the god of the sun. Immune to blinding by bright lights, they fight with torches, and Polished armor and shields. Many have magical scars carved in their flesh that grant powers related to Diurne.

Cont.
>Dwarves: a fallen people, who's kings are dead, and who are doomed to never have a kingdom of their own again. They have formed an organisation known as The Square who are contracted to make magical buildings across Harmonde using a mixture of Demons, the magic of Shape, and ancient lost architectural techniques.

Somehow didn't cut dwarves... their Winter
Pic is a drakken and a Herrisaur, one of their mounts.

Autumn: the fallen season, which many fear and hate
>Drakken: a terrifying race of warrior lizard men who live in mountains and can change the shape and color of their bodies, precisely enough to mimic other people. They are all male and usually kidnap women of other races to have their eggs, which must be kept in the presence of Dragons to hatch.

>Morgana: Blue skinned creatures who embody tragic love. they can manipulate emotions and have many magical abilities related to flirtation, romance, and courtly intrigue. they use their powers to gain positions of power as the consorts of noblemen and women, who protect them from the demons that are constantly hunting them. They can change their gender at will overnight.

>Pixies: small winged creatures known for their academical potions and prophetic abilities. They are cursed to always predict the future accurately, and unalterably, but it is always the worst possible outcome.

Winter:
>Medusa: a race of perilously beautiful and narcissistic snake haired women. once they could petrify with their gaze, but this power was mysteriously lost after the Eclipse (an catastrophe that marked the end of the ancient super civilizations). They have many abilities linked to their snakes and courtly intrigue.

>Black Fey: Immortal old fairy women who have a gift for the magic arts and can speak to inanimate object, and awaken their souls. It is hypothetically possible to play as a magic Item, as if they fail spectacularly enough, they become the items soul.

I thought I knew about it, but it was Agôn, another system. Sorry.

Bump

That lizard race sounds kind of horrifying....odd.
And here I thought making mine all female monstrosities that reproduce asexuality (thanks nature for the idea), this would fit in the setting...

This peaked my interest staying around for more.

thats a hedgehog

I skimmed the book ages ago, and remember reading that the Medusae were more likely to fall in love with their snakes than a person. I liked that.

So what would a typical romp / adventure / grand quest look like in Agone?

Well, on the lower scale end, you might have something along the lines of a trade negotiation where the players learn about something mildly disturbing that they decide to investigate (the adventure in the rules book is about going to secure trade negotiations with an ambassador in a small rural town on their domain's border, and finding out that all the children seem to have way too much control over the adults...)
Then there are some fun concepts in the Grey Papers to play with, like Pantagrua, the leader of a large horde of soldiers in lyphan, who decides to try and invade the Princely Communes to pugs it of evil. The catch being, that she probably has enough manpower to do it, and that she and her inspired companions all seem to have pure flames, which raises the question: why is the Mask helping her get past the Great Wall? (I added that last bit to force my players into a moral dilemma, the Mask is sort of the Grand Evil in the world, the source of a corruption known as perfidy)
And on an even grander scale, you can look at The King of Spring, which takes the player's on a tour of various places in Harmonde, combating several maskards (servants of the Mask) and culminating with a battle against the titular king in spring, a powerful being from the distant past, one of the 4 ancient kings of the seasons that lead the armies of the War of the Seasons so long ago. He can only be slain by someone who is not "bound by the seasons." meaning a human, or a seasonlings with 100 darkness or perfidy, but those last two aren't really playable ;)

The books tend to provide a lot of looming problems ripe for quest making, and the Codexes I've been translating all end in grand mysteries (the answers to witch are given in The Sentence of the Dawn, which I haven't fully translated yet, but I have done a handful of the secrets chapters). Their all usually wonderful seeds for adventure.

This deserves more attention

They have a lot of abilities associated with the idea that they are amorphous.
Namely they can fuse together to make one giant Drakken (although this is rare, because they can't separate afterwards)
And they have a ritual that one of their religious leaders, a "techtonic priest," can perform, burying up to 10 of them alive and causing tremendous earth quakes.
They also have a. They also have a weird connection with the world itself, as they can never get lost, go hungry, thirsty, or suffocate while underground. And they HATE humans, because the humans originally sided with autum in the war of the seasons, and ended up betraying it.

Yeah... The thing about it was they released the translation just before the open D20 boom, so no one payed any attention to it... On the bright side, this has resulted in the ability to purchase mint condition books for practically nothing. The core book is literally $8 US on this website called Troll and Toad, and the other 3 books are all under 5. They do try to sneak the more expensive shipping option by default because of this, so if you decide to get them, check the shipping option field before ordering. I literally got the whole set, plus shipping for less than $33. The GM screen and map were even still in their shrink wrap.

Bump

so if I wanted to run a game, say, focused on the Spriggan. Can a city's souls be put in peril? Can they die? How do Spriggans defend their turf?

I like games about 'background' characters, the little heroes that people don't really notice.

This seems quite interesting, I'll definitely be following translations from now on. And godspeed OP, you're doing divine work.

Ah yes! The City Souls, they are very interesting. First off, I’m gonna be very general, because if you go check out the Spriggan Codex, and in In Progress translations, the Sentence of the Dawn file, The Secrets of Spriggans, it goes into a lot of detail about them, so if you want the reference material, that’s pretty much all of it.

Also, beware of spoilers anyone who plans on being a player in this setting, the black text is actual spoilers…
An Important tidbit about the souls: most people don’t actually fully comprehend what they are, and there is a large cult movement that believes the souls are an ethereal concept and that meditating can lead one to become closer to the soul of a city.

>Can a city's souls be put in peril?
yes, in fact, the current state of city souls is they are under the control of the Lady of Autumn, who is the masks bride, they can be rescued from this, but it would require playing the Game of Perfidy with the mask for their souls, which is a dangerous proposition. I don’t think all of the souls were taken by the Mask though, there are story bits at the beginning of all the books, and the story is essentially, Agone of Roundrock was sent to make a safe place for the City souls before they were born (They were all born from male Hunchbacks, the hunches being the gestating souls), but unbeknownst to the Council of Decans, who sent him to do this, he had become corrupted by the mask and gave them to the Mask. when put in peril, this usually manifests in lings like increased suicide rates, civil unrest, increased crime, and other common urban problems, but much worse

Cont.

Continued from:
>Can they die?
given how everything in Agone, even the creators of the world, can die, I would assume yes. There would be two ways of interpreting this: Either the citizens become so unruly that they leave and the city becomes abandoned, or a city soul might die in a similar manner to the Eternals (the godlike creators and operators of the world), splitting into its Body Spirit and Soul. Usually the Spirit and Soul will be abstract symbolic objects that can be reunited, but to fully revive an eternal, it needs to name a person as its “heir” and they become its new Body. This can be done after death

>How do Spriggans defend their turf?
Their really good at parcour, making things disappear, especially out of pockets, and they have a strong connection to dancers, making them really good Mages, and they are really good at making clockwork objects, or picking locks… they also have fighting maneuvers that utilize their acrobatics and dirty fighting moves.
Their mafias (called Courts of Miracles) are organized in a chess like structure. It has a King and Queen, Knights, Rooks, Bishops, and the Pawns are the guild masters. Generally the Knights enforce the will of the King.

I see! So a good campaign, then, would be A spriggan court watching as its beloved city becomes more and more dangerous, and setting out to try and restore the soul, or, ultimately, gamble for its freedom?

Absolutely, although only the Inspired (the PC's and a select few NPC's who have a Flame) will likely have the resources and information to figure out whats going on and how to stop it.
A big part of the setting is that the Dullen (the people who don't have flames) are largely unaware of how the world actually works. they don't even know about the Eternals, the Muses, the Mask, any of it. So the PC's could well be the only people able to do anything.

that's part of the draw though, isn't it? The Party realizes things are going afoul, and they're forced to act to save what's precious to them.

I just need a solid B plot to run alongside it.

if you go into the unfinished translations folder and look under the Atlas, that is actually just a big book of lore about each country. I've so far only translated the Princely Communes chapter (that's where my current campaign is set), but you could look through that for some ideas. Other than that, the Grey Papers has a chapter detailing the inner workings of one city from each kingdom, which is exceptionally useful for figuring out the climate of each kingdom, and it usually has a few plot threads too (like for example, in Brightskies, rebel knights have taken control of the town of Vulkum, and has been trading weapons and food with Drakken in exchange for their being left alone. )
In short, there's lost of inspiration to be had!

So, just as an excuse to bump and post more art, one of my favorite features of this setting is that magic does not simply come from "arcane knowledge" or a nebulous "mystical force." In fact, every form of magic comes from some concrete thing that is magical. Sprites use pollen from their King trees, Concordists use their Flame, and the one I find most interesting: Dancers and Ascendancy. I cant honestly think of a form of magic with a similar mechanism.

Obscurity bump

bump.

Just want to say, I can answer pretty much any questions you may have about the setting. There are a few obscure things, like Abyme, and the history if the Autumnlings, that I don't know much about, but other than that I've read more than what I've finished translating, so I do know quite a bit.

If anyone has any questions about stuff from this setting, or the rules I can probably answer it.

I like the hedgehog with enemy skull on it.
Anything more like it?

so, instead of just telling you about the normal fantasy creatures (their fairly normal, there are unicorns, pegasi, phenixes, cyclopses, dragons, etc.)
Ill show you the creatures they decided to depict in the bestiary:
1: the Elval: they are about as smart as a monkey, and have an incredible natural talent for painting. some Sprites think they can make prophetic paintings
2: The Horned Falcon. its a falcon with bull horns.
3: the Drakeagle: its an eagle but a lizard... they are known for flying down from mountains to hunt for people flesh.
4 left: the Aswald Tiger. it fights using its teeth like sabers. I'm not kidding... it jumps and uses them to parry.
4 right: the Hastara: its literally just a cute 40-100 cm long elephant.
5: the Behemoth: the "Mountain terror" its a big hairy monster with claws and fangs.
6: don't actually know what these are yet... look like some kind of grazing herd animal. my cheat sheet with all the names excluded these. but they look kinda cool.
7: the Darde, they are fanged insects which live in the Liturgical province. they aren't poisonous, but they attack in swarms of 10 - 30

A lot of the creatures have that "Star Wars Original Trillogy" feel to how their a weird fusion of animal traits, or just oddly into art.

A creature I don't have a picture for, the Elwir, is also inexplicably capable of painting. there is one kind for each season, and they can cast one Vista Opus of the appropriate season per day. they look like small humanoids but adorned with appropriate natural features for their season:
Autumn: brambles, twigs, and dead leaves
Winter: Icicles, rocks, snow and such
Spring: flowers and grass
Summer: sand and cacti

bump

Bump for interest
Keep on translating OP, this shit seems unique as fuck

One more to keep this shit going