Mm25 spoilers-wishing for better mythical edition

Decent spoilers coming through I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/future-masters-2018-02-22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>No flavortext

Come on wotc.

Full HD 1080p

More exciting reprints everyone begged for!
They literally putting bucks in packs.

Wow, this set is looking fucking terrible EV-wise

At least it's overpowered in Limited so that if you get it in draft you'll get some replacement packs as a consolation. If they have to put in 0 dollar rares I'd prefer that they enable prize packs as a consolation to those who didn't open a 200 dollar bill rather than being totally worthless in the draft and in the trade binder.

Wew lads

>rarity shifts

Nothing. NOTHING about Imperial recruiter is a mythic. It is not a complex card ability by any stretch. The body is bad by today's standards. The only reason it's even remotely worth money is because there was only one printing in a set that didn't sell well and was underprinted. It it was uncommon then.

I'm done with this fucking game.

My boy Ruric Thar back again to smash face!
Fuck Blue, islands a shit.
Gruul master race forever!

Eh honestly the fact that it's one of those low demand, ultra-low supply cards means that it probably should be mythic. It doesn't NEED to be uncommon to make it affordable for Legacy players who want to use it and it's an acceptable compromise so that it retains some value. Printing it at mythic literally already increases the supply by orders of magnitude.
I say this as someone who hates the "investor" jew as much as anyone.

We already saw the shitshow for LGS's and Wizards with Iconic Masters.
Overprinting cards that are only expensive because of ultra-low supply being stretched for low demand leads to disaster. The real scam is in high demand, medium supply cards like Snapcaster and Bob being mythic. THAT's what you should be mad about.

easily the best art
shame about

See you tomorrow chap.

Cool

Cant make it out
Is this shit mythic or rare?
If mythic then i'm gonna be mad

Effects wise, doomsday looks like a mythic worthy card

There is an M on the bottom.

It's Mythic
The 25 is orange

The tribe of the mighty Israelite demands goyim blood...

It's fine at mythic

Just imagine opening this or Ruric. What a nightmare.

Not mad about it being hard to pull, mad about another mythic slot being wasted by a 3$ card

It's mythic, and honestly, Doomsday is exactly the type of card that should be mythic.

No card should ever be mythic. Mythic was a mistake

MtGlet here, what is the use of this card? I'm guessing it's to set up some bullshit exile combo?

Mostly effects to draw through the last 5 cards, then Laboratory Maniac for the win.

jesus christ this set is a dumpster fire

Wouldn't you set yourself up for a counter that ends the game?

If there aren't any better reprints at rare than Blood Moon I'm gonna be fucking pissed

>reprints cards that have had a promos/reprints already and we already have a billion of them
Ruric Thar, Bident, Akroma, Niv, Gisela, Sundering, Hanna, even useful shit like Thalia and borderline useful things like Vindicate

Even fucking Jace. We don't need more fucking Jaces. Yes, I'm taking that unbanning into account. Reprinting/unbanning him doesn't solve any of the fucking problems revolving around his price in the long or short term.

Imagine you're some faggot who has bought every boxed set product like Planechase or Commander like some proper retard. There is nothing in this set that you don't already have. And the fact that the same idiot who just buys a case of Commander ever release is the same fucking customer who buys these boxes just... I don't have words for it any more.

This community is retarded.

Which is why you include counters yourself. Try searching up some "doomsday piles" for yourself, really is interesting stuff actually.

Why is this T-fighter attacking the giant discord robot?

smash wallets too, or any retard who would buy packs/boxes.

There will certainly be better reprints at Rare than Blood Moon.

But that being said given what other dogshit Rares we've already seen is that going to make you feel any better? The Mythic/Rare pool is diluted with such sewage already; nothing is going to salve that pain.

I don't know about you but the only way this set is going to get redeemed is if every single mythic/rare from this point forward is a homerun. I mean every single card is Snapcaster-grade good from here on out. It's an unrealistic expectation but it's necessary.

I finally pinned down what it is about the bitching in every M25 thread that's been bothering me.

It's like people think Masters 25 was going to somehow magically fix all of the problems with MtG instead of just being another Masters set.

Deaths Shadow, Phyrexian Tower (I forget if that or Volraths stronghold is reserved), ensnaring bridge, karn liberated, Pernicious Deed. Only Karn should be a mythic out of those.

>Tells fact about the full set
>When the spoiler season barely started

>It's like people think Masters 25 was going to somehow magically fix all of the problems with MtG

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/future-masters-2018-02-22
>I've read through pages and pages of feedback on the set, and talked to countless stores and players about Iconic Masters both in person and online. I cannot stress enough that this is something I really, truly care about. If you weren't happy with Iconic Masters, on behalf of the team, I would like to apologize. With everything we do in R&D, we're always learning from our experiences to make the next set as great as possible.

>And I have some good news.

>Masters 25 is the themed Masters set you've been waiting for.

Let's just put aside that there are many problems in Magic and the fact that at some point if you give enough of a shit to demonstrate you're making a turning point, maybe a product that celebrates a 25th anniversary might be an iconic and poetically appropriate time to do so. Let's just push that aside; all of that the problems Wizards doesn't want to address and the misunderstanding in expectations from a dumbass player base.

Let's focus on one problem, the problem he mentions, that Iconic Masters was a pile of dogshit and he thinks 25 will salve that butthurt.

Does it? From what we've seen does 25 look anything out of the ordinary from Iconic? What drastic change to their philosophy have we seen from what we know now. I know, it's obviously a bit early to say because we don't know all the cards. But let's be real here, their first step spoilers were a step in the feces. And the question of "what players want" or "what players are waiting for", well, exactly what player is waiting for Bidents, of which there were billions due to it being a promo.

Who wants a Jace? Standard people don't. Jace isn't suddenly going to "enable" Eternal players to jump into the format because the lands are still unavailable. Modern - fucking scared of Grave Troll 2.0.

The ignorant hope of a romantic fool, thinking this would be different due to the 25'th aniversary

M25 does look like a more fun set with more interesting reprints than Iconic already. But it's not going to change underlying problems with Magic like vintage/legacy lands. As long as the Reserve List is a thing, no set's going to fix that. You need to either accept that as long as Wizards sticks to the Reserve List, Eternal formats are going to have a huge monetary barrier to entry; or you need to stop playing Magic.

At least.

>that art
HORRENDOUS
Still need to pick up the judge promo of the original, but man, what a bummer for such a superb card.

Okay, I know the point is not clear but here it is. The measure of a reprint set to me is how much additional Magic played it enables outside of Limited. The higher % of good reprints, means it's a good set because it would enable more decks to come together. This rate has never been terribly high but it's one way to compare one set to another using a fairly objective metric.

I mean I'll cherry pick. Thalia, Moon, Jace, Cursecatcher, Chalice are all the solid constructed cards we see. In my imagination, I don't exactly feel this is going to make the ability for people to finish or drive them to start and finish a deck and the steps to improve that rate need to be miraculous. Granted, Iconic was super bankrupt and it's really hard to be charitable to much outside of Ancestral and Thoughtseize.

Whatever, I'm not buying it. I'm just tired of seeing people pay so much for trash. You really need to qualify "fun" and "interesting" because that doesn't mean anything to anybody but you.

I like the art

Nobody is expecting Reserve Masters
We just wanted another Modern Masters 2013..

The problem I think is that we never put enough focus on MM being a quality draft and constructed playable experience. Those are the qualities that made it good. The name and such had little meaning.

Wizards has always used "themes" to help sell a set. But often we make the mistake that themes =/= quality. And those who make the mistake sometimes just spend their money on it anyways thinking that themes like an anniversary have more meaning that the usual run of the mill anything. You don't have to wait until Valentine's day to fuck the brains out of your partner. You can plan to do that anytime. You can make something good anytime, not just during an anniversary although if you fuck up the anniversary what does that say?

you mean you don't want to pull a BIDENT OF THASSA as the rare in your pack? how about a mythic AKROMA! XD

Anob, they are saying it every time another Masters set pops out.

My trade binder consists of maybe 50 cards. I've had a Red Akroma in there for around 6 years; probably a hundred people have flipped by it. Super stoked that people finally have this opportunity to live this experience that I know so well.

if only Redkroma had haste as well, it would be so much better. Morph is just garbage and has no reason being on it other than flavor.

>tfw just bought a bident of thassa for my Talrand Mass Polymorph deck

fuck you wotc for making me lose my shirt

Is pierced nipples Akroma really that valuable? I remember her in Commander.

i believe the point is that she's so utterly meh and pointless that everyone flips past her. she's not really even played in commander since she doesn't do anything that another creature would be do better or more interestingly

Morph is the best thing it has, it's the only reason the card has actually seen play.

Why don't they use the set logo they use in Gatherer for ABU?

That's just the generic Core Set symbol, and ABU are core sets.

I know, but the card came from Alpha, why not use an A?

Holy shit this set is so bad

>using the actual art and not some edgy planeswalker noone cares about
Huge if legitimate

>Just over 10% of the set has been spoiled
>This set is bad
Every. Single. Set.

For fuck sake, I thought it was a common and got excited. Why are the common and uncommon symbols so similar?

Because ABU are all the same set.

So far, this set looks great. If it were regular MSRP. Fuck masters overpriced bullshit. Doubly fuck it if they intend people to draft this. Why won't they learn from conspiracy, which has decent reprints and a fun draft environment at a normal price?

Poor quality images my dude

In fairness it was a rare in its original printing. I’ll take rarity downshifts no matter how I get em.

For the same reason Mythic and Rare symbols are so similar.

This was the card we needed on Pauper Zombies. Fuck Wizards.

Jokes on you he's a new pauper edh commander

WE GETTING DEMONIC TUTOR AT RARE OR WHAT WIZARDS YOU FUCKS?

>implying demonic tutor ever
Hell, give us grim tutor. Cards not even great - probably wouldn’t even break Modern too badly.

>Just over 10% of the set has been spoiled
>"This set is bad"
>Set fully spoiled
>Turns out, set is actually bad

This also happens to be true more often than not if not every time in the past five years. Qualify which set you feel was an exceptionally solid set.

When a set like Unstable was good because it pushed the envelope of mechanic design space and sheer card complexity in a way that cannot possibly exist in a regular set, we have a problem. You strip away all the joke words/aspects of that set and it was a really functional draft experience and had complex Rares. Going back to Innistrad even if it was a good draft set the vast majority of the rare/mythic cards in that set outside Snap and Liliana were complete trash.

I'm afraid you're right. Maybe I'vr been listening to the pop mtg channels too much but I was under the impression that 2018 was supposed to be the make or break year for wotc. And I realise that a lot is yet to be spoiled but unless some epic stuff is going to be spoiled this whole set is going to be a fucking shitshow. Nothing is being printed that is actually wanted/needed and the stuff that is (chalice) is at mythic so it's not going to matter.

Nostalgia sells a lot, user. That's why we're getting this Old Cards Megamix Masters, and a return to their old plane and characters. Kitchen table players care more about cards and pictures they remembr than actual quality, and ktchen table players are a huge portion of the game.

That flavor text is meta

>all of those wasted mythic spots on shit level timmy cards

i know right? i love it

Why are there no planeswalker reaction images? Seems a waste

They'd just be 80% smug Lilis.

>>Just over 10% of the set has been spoiled
>>"This set is bad"
>>Set fully spoiled
>>Turns out, set is actually bad
You're right but still, a little bit of optimism won't kill you

So are they going to start spoiling the good stuff last now, or is this set going to be just pathetic trash? I mean, usually the first days are used to build hype around the product, but I'm just not seeing it.

How is that EVER a bad thing?

>expecting anything good from WIzards

I call BS on that. I'm a kitchen table player, I play mostly EDH. I have no need for any of the cards spoiled so far except for 1 (Eladamri's Call). And even then, I'll only need one, they're really thinking I'm gonna crack a pack for that?! Unless they're gonna print some stuff that is actually wanted/needed on a reasonable rarity level for either legacy or modern, thi sset is going to bomb harder than Iconic Masters. And in the end they're only fucking themselves cause it's their jobs on the line not mine. I can play magic till I die if I want. Been playing this shit since 1996. I have enough cards to play EDH forever.

Alpha and Beta aren't really the names of the sets. I think it would be silly to label the original cards with an "A" in this set.

Alpha boosters don't say "Alpha" on them, they just say "Magic: the Gathering" and the "M" looks good.

there was some real nigga shit long ago, Innistrad, New Phyrexia and the original Modern Masters to name a few.

2018 is a make or break year, and it's gonna break. M25 spits in the face of the game's history with new Origins borders and new soulless artwork. Dominaria will be a BFZ/Oath of the Gatewatch/SOI/Eldritch Moon-tier nu-set.

>origins borders
They're M15.

It's all been downhill since Innistrad. RTR was decent but much much worse than the original block and then Theros just felt weak so I got bored and took a break for 3 years. Now I'm back into the game and playing often but it was brutal to go back and see how shitty those sets that I missed were. Didn't bother buying any packs from Amonkhet or Ixalan.

kek

Well, they need Richard Garfield back to fix their shit...

Great uncommon, finally.

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!

Good call. This border is an atrocity but i guess the black ink saves wotc some money over usibg color on the whole border.

Really....

>buying singles during spoiler season

I sold my Cursecatchers for $8 each last week, and I'm sure the guy that bought them is throwing a fit.

The problem with the whole Magic community thing is that the minority of Magic players keep up with the community. You and me here, Reddit, and all these CFB or SCG or content creators like streamers or TCC - the vast majority of players are snug in their kitchen table not knowing anything about sleeve quality or World Magic Cup or anything like that.

Their only connection to the dialog surrounding the game is really the product itself, which is about as engaging as the stands at Costco asking if you'd like to try a sample. So even if Magic pop media actually says the right things and bites the WotC hand that feeds them (and they don't), the vast majority won't hear it.

I do feel that Magic will always be with us. It will just be this horrible broken husk of its potential like it is now. It doesn't matter if the community, Reddit, Veeky Forums (we're super small) and whatever store groups all agree that the situation is "weak", those kitchen table folks buying their cards at Walmart are going to continue trucking along. It will always be a good year for Magic long we give up. If they can have board games, movie, MMORPG, crap MTGO, and novels blow up in their faces; dismissing their judges, firing any artist that can actually draw, burdening their stores with endless idiotic promotional events, and supplying big box stores over their LGS training centers - and still announce regular growth quarters with few downturns, many other better companies have failed under better circumstances.

Anybody who still has a sense of optimism at this point hasn't been playing long enough or has and is also blind, ignorant, and/or has a shit memory.

To quote Catholic space Nazis:
"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

>rare
>mfw