/ysg/ Yog-Slothery General - The Gentlemen's Edition!

/ysg/ Yog-Slothery General - The Gentlemen's Edition!

>Readings:
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfHPLovecraft_201412
eldritchdark.com

>Resources:
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!UXAASSwA!GA_sC_n1sLwO_-zEqjEKGg!gKB11K4a
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4
pastebin.com/rtpJfc2L

>m'eldritch horror
Tell Veeky Forums about your classiest investigator, /ysg/.
How much money did they make?
How expensive were their cigarettes?
How fine was their lady (wife or consort)?
How nice was the watch they were wearing when they predictably went insane?

I just ran The Haunting last night for two friends, was pretty fun. They got their hands on Corbitts journal, and I'm thinking of adding a set up in there for the next adventure

What would be a good adventure to use after The Haunting?

The great thing about the Haunting is that it can be used as a springboard into whatever campaign you want to run. I like the addition of the hooded figures. They're gonna be an effective tool for you to transition the players. Just make sure it matches the time period. I personally recommend any of the many adventures that start off at an auction, especially Thoth's Dagger. Although you might have to heavily modify that one for it to be survivable, especially with new players.

Does the Player's Handbook have anything in it that the Core Rulebook doesn't?

Yes

What's your prefered mythos being anons?

I have a soft spot for Nyarlathotep

Flying polyps

Wind boys are fun, and they leave goofy footprints lying about

Has anyone ever tried to syncretize Lovecraftian deities with real ones?

Anywhere to read original literature ?

What do you mean by "original literature"? There's a link to Lovecraft's stuff right there in the OP.

I needed something to bump other than a plain 'bump',

Laveyan Satanists have lol.

You mean real world cultist? I'm sure some geek has tried.

>yfw Ancient Aryans actually built a city spanning all of Antarctica

Anyone have that webm/gif that recreates a scene from Nyaruko san with proper lovecraftian visuals?

A thing from 2x4chan:

Making horror work is simple if you follow the advice of show, don't tell. For roleplaying the more apt version would be describe, don't name. For example, here's what you do when you describe:

Don't click the image just yet, because I need to to prove a point.

>The creature has noticed you. While humanoid in build it resembles a demented puppet more than an actual human. Its round white body has several tumors over it that are meant to pass for shoulders and hips. From these fleshy growths spring spindly limbs that should not be able to carry its weight, yet they do. The things that are meant to pass for arms have thin, bony elbows and end in a pair of oversized white claws. The fingers sprout from it in a way that no human fingers do, tipping out in thick growths twice as wide as the base. They have no nails: instead there are fleshy grabbing pads on the inside. Its legs are just as thin as the arms, with a facsimile of human knees dividing up the legs. Instead of feet the thing as a pair of… growths resembling pointed shoes, carrying nothing like toes or claws. Its rotund head is adorned with two similar growths, resembling hair as designed by someone who only had hair described to them. More fleshy growths adorn its cheek, pulling its mouth into a smile. But it is not a smile. Its large white eyes have tiny pinpricks of pupils in them, looking at you with an empty and dead stare. "Myyyy…" it mutters hoarsely as it approaches you. You take a step back, trying to get away from this thing, but you bump into something. "Myyyy…" Turning around you see nothing there, but as you try to move you feel like you've run into an invisible wall. "Myyyyyyyy…" You desperately try to find a way around, but you run into another wall. And another. Trying to stay away from the creature you feel nothing but walls surrounding you and that thing. You realize to your horror that you're boxed in. "MyyyyyyyyYYYY!" The creature is upon you.
Now click the image and compare that to this:

You encounter a Mr. Mime, who uses Barrier to keep you from escaping.

>You try another door. It's locked as well. You run down the hall while risking another look over your shoulder. It is still following you. It is skinny, way too skinny. Despite its delicate appearance it keeps up with you effortlessly. It walks, but the legs should not be able to move the thing that fast. They are thin, very thin, almost twiglike in appearance. It was no feet either; the legs end in points that would not allow it to stand. But not only does it maintain balance, it remains upright and moving. Despite its speed you do not hear the sound of footsteps coming from it. It does not look like the legs actually touch the floor: it is almost as if it is floating, staying away from the vulgar base earth as this horrifying angelical being moves across it. More worrying is the pale white skin that hangs around its lower body, making a horrifying and inhuman flapping noise as it moves. If it is skin of course: it could very well be flesh or some kind of hair. Its arms were equally thin and long, almost tentacle-like with no visible joints on them. Instead of the pale skin they are of a natural green color. That is, the kind of nature that would have you die of exposure and exhaustion inside of it. Instead of hands it has that look like three talons growing from each hand in a set of thumbless appendages. It still uses them as if they were akin to hands; with gestures of them doors slam shut, windows bar themselves and direct you in one possible direction. The same green grows around its head, covering part of its pair of way too large eyes. It almost looks like hair, but it also looks like something had attached itself to the creature's head, which was supported by a neck that is way too thin for a skull of that size.

You cannot see a mouth on the creature, but you do hear it speak. Or at least you think you do. Stop running. This will help you. Well screw that; you already emptied your gun at the thing but it just caught the bullets with its mind. You're not even sure if you can kill the thing without taking it by surprise. It looks like someone at least tried it: an unnatural crimson growth stuck out of it as if someone had driven a blade through its back. The fact that the creature seems unimpeded by this, not to mention alive, kind of hints at the grim fate of whoever tried that. You make your way into a room. It's a dead end. You turn around but the creature is already there. The door shuts behind it. An invisible force pushes you against the wall behind you. You try to kick and scream, but you lost control over your body. The creature draws near. This will make it all better. you hear the creature say, but still you can see no mouth, even form this close. It places its appendages against the sides of your head. Your body stays where it is, but you can feel your mind fall.

This one's a bit easier, but can still be rather horrifying.

So I'm first time DMing this soon with some friends(first timers overall). What am I in for and what should I look out for with this system?

I see I'm not the only one than use Pokemon in his games, tough I tend to use them as spirits.

Kill them user. Kill them all.