Chronopia - Drakar och Demoner

I've been working during the past two years on translating the fifth edition of the Swedish RPG Darkar och Demoner. This covers period from 1994 until Target Games' demise in 1999.

The RPG's version of Chronopia is set in a city state (pictured) that could be described as Manhattan (or London, Paris, or any other great metropolitan city) built like the Kowloon Walled City if it were done like Mont St-Michel. It can be seen as a mirror to the dark worryings of Swedish society, where crime and corruption is rampant, where a sinister religion is poised to conquer the world and the unaccountable government might be in cahoots with it, where immigrants and refugees bring their strange traditions with them.

A wargame of the same name was created in 1997 by Target Games' Scottish division (which is how I was introduced to the setting), but given both the differences of its setting and how much better the documentation is in the Anglo-Saxon world, it is not the focus here.

Chronopia was the official setting of the fifth edition of Drakar och Demoner, a Swedish RPG that was first published in 1982. While the name sounds like Dungeons & Dragons, with it literally translating to Dragons and Demons, it is actually based on Chaosium's Basic Role-Play rules. The first four editions borrowed much more than the rules, as illustrated by the amount of Duckmen one can find in the setting of Ereb Altor, one of the things it initially borrowed from Glorantha.

mega nz #F!WlMFBJ6a!prEC1wa_YMvikMo2gnGI_w

Other urls found in this thread:

theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=430021
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Five periods:
1994 - Rulebook & GM screen/Hired Swords Handbook - obvious in the rules section that it was originally more geared for Ereb Altor than Chronopia. The books have graphics heavy-layouts, with three columns per page and a variety of artists

1996 - First bunch of supplements - similar in layout to the main rulebook, but includes a lot of art by Adrian Smith

1997 - Second set of supplements - layout has been simplified with a white background, while all artists outside of mapmaker David Hansson have been replaced by Adrian Smith

1997 - Third set of supplements - Layout is simplified even further to two columns

1998 - Last supplement and scenarios - New artists brought in, attempt to weld Chronopia to Ereb Altor to please old D och D fans, three scenario books released

Planned books - From reading the books as well as the magazine Sinkadus (which by the time when 5th Ed. D och D was published, had devolved into a catalog of Mutant Chronicles/Warzone miniatures), there was going to be a third supplement dealing with magic that would end a trilogy of magic-based scenarios, and after the switch to Ereb Altor, there would be four supplements (Frost Vidderna's Ruler, Dragon's Sons, Fire Ocean Subduer and Demonic People) that would have fleshed out the rest of the continent.

Notes on this translation project: Not every aspect of every book has been translated. I have mostly kept to translating the fluff parts, so as to determine how much similarity the RPG had with the wargame. Since the original Mutant Chronicles (and most likely Kult, but I must admit that I haven't looked at it) is based on the same rule system (BRP via D och D), and one can find both English and Swedish versions of it, it can effectively serve as a Rosetta Stone if one wants to run with the rule system. The one exception is the magic system, since the MC equivalents, the Art and the Dark Symmetry, clearly don't work the same way. Every book (apart from the scenario books) has been transcribed to a RTF file, given that the OCR (Optical Character Recognition) for most books is quite poor, mainly due to the layouts and backgrounds, as well as an English language PDF. The RTF files and English language PDFs are named after the English translation of the titles.

D och D Chronopia Main rulebook
" Main rulebook magic rules
D och D Chronopia scenario Main rulebook scenario
Hyrsvärdets Handbok Hired Swords
Spelledarskärm GM Screen
Vapen och Rustningar i Chronopia Equipment
Svärd och Svartkonst Sword and Sorcery
Magi i Chronopia Magic
Dvärgar i Chronopia Dwarves
Mörkrets Väktare Dark Guard (MV)
Mörkrets Krigare Dark Warrior (MK)
Alver i Chronopia Elves
Svärtblod i Chronopia Blackbood
Väsen i Chronopia People of Chronopia (Vasen)
Altors Baksida Return to Altor (Altors)

Given that Swedish is not my mother tongue (in fact, I can't speak it), there is still some work to do in regards to getting the best translation possible. However, I have been trying my best.

Most of the rest of the stuff here will just be the translated PDFs. The eventual plan will to be to mimic the layout of each book.

I haven't translated the GM screen (or SL - Story Leader) because, just like D&D DM screens, it's just a collection of table and stats.

Dwarves in the RPG are quite Dwarvy. You could easily run them as in in D&D or WHFRP and no one would bat an eye. The Dwarf clans of the wargame were far more unique, with their animal gods-turned blood totems and their inevitable degeneracy into animalistic mutants.

Sword and Sorcery introduces us to the Ikki, the Wongo triad. Wongos are a race of the Blackblood (greenskins or goblinoids in other settings) that could best be described as hobgoblins, but more of the Robin Goodfellow variety.

As is standard in any dark fantasy setting, Elves are evil and decadent.

Two books were devoted to the darker side of an already dark setting. This one being about the organization of de Hängivnas, which share enough commonality with their wargame equivalent, the Devout, despite some theological differences, that I have maintained the name.

The second of the Dark books is about the dark side of magic, which isn't simply about the Devout's magic, but also brings in general demonology and the not-voodoo of the Cannibals.

The Blackbloods were the last faction to get their own sourcebook. The orcs are quite reminiscent of GW 40k's Orks, and the goblins are a lot like Snotlings rather than Gretchen. The Ogres are brought back after being MIA since the main rule book and maybe one other brief mention. Their position among the Blackblood was clearly influenced by how the Blackblood Empire is organized in the wargame, but given that they are just as dandified as the Elves, it's clear that the writers didn't talk with the Scottish team.

Väsen can mean people or creatures, from what I can tell. This final book focused squarely on the City-State of Chronopia does flesh out the other human ethnicities, as well as recombine all the various groups of a certain type found within the city. So you'll find a text on all the assassin types, the city bureaucrats, etc.

And here's the final book, Return to Altor, a clear attempt at trying to win back the old fans that might have been repelled by Chronopia's setting (although the description of the Grey Halls, a series of inter-dimensional passages, in the main rulebook would have clued them in that they could still use the old fluff books, since those same halls were brought up in 4th edition books).

I must admit that Return to Altor, People in Chronopia and Blackbloods are not up to the same standard as the other books. I've been at it for two years, which means around two months working on each book, from transcribing, translating and revising the text.

I will work on the three scenario books, although Circus Kad isn't really one that connects to the city.

Anyways, I do plan on doing more indepth work, going through the conception of both the RPG and the wargame. This has both roots in Sweden and Britain, and there's a story to be found.

Might as well post some artwork to showcase the look of the setting. As with Warzone/Mutant Chronicles, Chronopia sets out to out-shoulderplate Warhammer, even in the early days (this is from the Hired Swords Handbook).

As well as Adrian Smith, other well-known artists were hired, including Larry Elmore (doing some of his least Larry Elmore-ish paintings) and Paolo Parente on the covers.

And while the 80s-90s heavy metal Sword and Sorcery look is present, it also mixes with a variety of more modern looks, such as the previously-mentioned Elves and Ogres dressed as Dandies, Wongos dressed up as little Mandarins and the Goblins who try to wear trenchcoats and false beards.

You can kind of see how some of the style evolves till you get to the wargame, with the Dwarf Clans becoming more animalistic, the Blackblood become a secular Arab empire, the Elves gain spikey metal armour and the humans become the much more Conan-esque Firstborn Empire and their barbaric cousins, the Sons of Kronos.

Said spikey-armoured troops of the Elven Houses.

While both the RPG and the wargame have a lizardman civilization, the RPG's Drakonits do not have much of an identity. The Stygians of the wargame, however, can be described as fantasy Tyranids, if they were dinosaurs with Egyptian trappings following a blood cult.

Speaking of Blood Cults, this is one of the two factions which practically disappears after the main rulebook, alongside the Drakonits. The Blood Cult is a shadowy organization led by vampires.

Pictured is a Sons of Kronos Blade Maiden.

I know what I'm using for my next game.

The art reminds me to old hammer, in a good way.

>where crime and corruption is rampant, where a sinister religion is poised to conquer the world and the unaccountable government might be in cahoots with it, where immigrants and refugees bring their strange traditions with them.

But user, we don't need an RPG to see all that stuff

Ah, but you see, given that it was from the mid-90s, it could either be seen as a premonition or as over-reactions.

Another Swedish RPG from the mid-90s, Apokalypse, was even darker in its depictions:
theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=430021

What an absolute legend, thank you based swede

When you go from frosty heaven to frozen detroit in a few yaers it tends to twist your look at the world.

Looks pretty cool. Thanks for putting the work in translating this.

I'm not Swedish, but I will most likely need some Swedish D och D fans to help. I plan on making a blog and eventually turning that into a book. Maybe this could be the stepping stone to revive the franchise, like Mordiphius did with Mutant Chronicles.

>immense amt of personal effort to bring a game to all of Veeky Forums
>hurrrrr, lets all shitpost about guns and furfaggotry!
You are the hero Veeky Forums needs but most definitely does not deserve

Fucking hell, user, this is incredible. Fair dues to you, sir.

I could help you, is there any way to contact you for collaboration ?

Wait... Drakar och Demoner is Chronopia, as in, the same setting as the "Warzone but fantasy" miniature wargame? Why did I not learn this earlier?

You can contact me at jakarnilson at magma.ca

It's not quite. It could be an alternate timeline, given that the wargame takes place three centuries after the birth of the One King, while the RPG takes place several thousand years after his equivalent, the Emperor, travels to the city state and takes over. But there are things from the RPG setting that could easily be ported over to the wargame. But also, to prevent any confusion, it's neither Ereb Altor nor Trudvang.

Bomp