Once again proving Yugioh is the superior game

Once again proving Yugioh is the superior game

I'm mostly drawn back because of the shit art, hideous wall of text, mediocre frame and retarded names.

The last time I played this game was probably somewhere around 2003 and I've forgotten most of it, but I distinctly recall building a deck around this beautiful bastard. Because mandrills are cool.

I should find my old cards. I think I had a decent sized collection, but I can't remember if I actually had anything good or not.

If YGO is the king of games MS Paint must be the king of image editing software.

My nigga. I built mine around Gren Maju and D.D. Dynamite back in the day.

Gren Maju otk is actually sort of rogue meta again, it topped at a few tournaments.

>implying it isn't

>I'm mostly drawn back because of the shit art, hideous wall of text, mediocre frame and retarded names.

Hey now!

The name isn't retarded.

She doesn't even take hostages, since you can just cast the hostage. It's more like a plunderer than a hostage taker.

The flavor is playing on the trope of a person being taken by pirates who then becomes one. Yes the name isn't super great for evoking that.

The name makes more sense with the mechanics on the card than anything in Yugioh, though.

>Not Vampire.

It's Stockholm Syndrome: The card

Huh, I didnt think there was a word that properly captured the idea but yeah actually.

Still mad at Konami for banning based Shaddolls

>Expensive
>Staples + "Archetype cards" + Some tech = That's deckbuilding for ya. Literally no creativity goes into building a deck. The only deck that was great and used cards with no obvious correlation to eachother was Jeff Jone's Quickdraw Dandywarrior. My respect for that guy for thinking outside the box.
>Horrible community. Cocky, smelly, loud.
>KEK No resource system
>Artstyle has gotten worse every year.
>Only one competitive format.
>Draft play is dead. People didn't give a shit about Battle Packs.
>Game has powercreeped to death.
>The extra deck literally makes some mechanics irrelevant (Tribute Summon, Rituals, ATK Boosts)

I wish I could go back in time and punch myself in the face for wasting my time with this shitfest of a game instead of trying other stuff. Part of the blame is that this is the only game people play seriously in my town.

Applies to every tcg bud.

>calling tributes irrelevant when we just had Monarchs
>forgetting the Nekroz and Gishki

Don't forget about True Draco.

Yugioh can't be taken seriously as a competitive game because it's the only major TCG to not have official comprehensive rules documentation.

But it has one in the OCG.

OCG has little to nothing to do with the TCG.

Which game is this art from? It looks sick.

Is this a trick question?

Compare that to MtG:

>Even more expensive
>Color staples + deck core + lands = That's deckbuilding for ya. Literally no creativity goes into building a deck. Despite the expansive card pool, most interesting cards are unplayable outside of a casual level, and are hard to resolve even there. The majority of the cards are strict upgrades/downgrades over other cards with no reason beyond budget to play one over another.
>KEK RNG resource system
>Artstyle has gotten worse every year.
>Only two competitive formats that WotC gives a shit about, depending on if you want your flavor of the year to be mandated by rotations or not.
>Draft play is killing the game. Most sets are designed with draft playability over anything else.
>Game has been antipowercreeped to the point where new players struggle to compete with long-time players without paying way too much for fucking cardboard.
>Most mechanics, regardless of how interesting they were, are irrelevant from release.

That's YGO.

>implying that's not cleaner than 90% of YGO cards

Hostage Taker as a YGO card would be something like:

>Abductor of the Shadow Crew
>DARK
>Level 4
>[Warrior/Effect]
>If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can banish 1 card from your hand face-down; Banish target face-up Monster or Spell, and if you do, treat that card as though it was in your hand (or face-down in your Extra Deck, if applicable). It cannot be used to pay costs while banished. Any material requirements on Extra Deck monsters banished this way become "2 monsters". If this card leaves play; Return the card banished with its effect to the field. You can only activate each effect of this card name once per turn.
>800 ATK / 1200 DEF

>level 4
It'd be 5 or six probably. Levels 1-4 are essentially 0-2 drops in mtg

True. Maybe a Level 5-7 Synchro, then.

And, as a Cardfight Vanguard card:

>Fulfilling Taker of Hostages, Stockholm
>Magellanica / Granblue / Human
>Grade 2
>[AUTO] [GB(2)] [Counter Blast 1, Soul Blast 1]: When this unit is placed on (R), you may pay the cost. If you do, choose a (R) circle and bind any card on it face-up. You may call units bound this way to (R).
>[AUTO]: When this (R) is put into the drop zone, if the unit bound by this card is still in the bind zone, its owner calls it to the circle it was bound from.
>8000 / 5000

any malaysian or SEA user here who plays yugioh? Where the heck do you get your cards? The decks on ebay are relatively cheap but the shipping cost is absolutely fucking assrape

Miss opportunity for not saving it for a Beauty and the Beast inspired card.

Somber Beast or something along those lines. Would have been perfect for Innistrad.

south corea?

But it'd be a kick in the balls for transform cards,imagine finally flipping your docent of perfection and the opponent goes "mine now"

>there are people who think pendulums 'ruined' this game
>there are people who think Xyz 'ruined' this game
>there are people who think synchros 'ruined' this game
>there are people who think inherent summons 'ruined' this game
>there are people who think IOC ruined this game
>there are people who think this sort of cancer is fair, balanced, and fun
yugioh is and always has been a goddamn mess.

Heres a mock up of both of those.
Took out the Spell targeting and made the extra deck materials archetypal.

I also had the idea for making it a link monster that could steal one of the monsters it linked to but MSE doesn't have a card frame for that.

>yugioh is and always has been a goddamn mess.
That's why I enjoy it. If I wanted to play a game that's truly fair, balanced, etc.; I'd play some chess or go or maybe richii mahjong if I want luck involved.

Yugioh became garbage when it became a game of “who got a better hand trap”

Împliying animu art is't better than we wuz kang shit art pushed by WoTC

for every animu archetype, there's 4-5 well-designed ones.

because most decks need one of thouse 4 cards to usefull?

>not playing the deck made of handtraps

Yugioh is literally half the cost and anything is viable at competitive level right now, if built right. You don't even need Ash Blossom to do well. Someone won at high level with a Dark Magician build recently. I dominated my locals with a shit build from 2010 that by no means should work, but I got it to fucking work. Rotation would never work for Yugioh unless you reprinted everything constantly in a core set, which would kill the value of the game, which Konami doesn't want. At least Yugioh sets aren't bloated in size to 250+ cards or 150+ cards that were built for draft in mind. Besides, Yugioh isn't made for competitive players anyhow.

It was made for children to play with their friends then shitters decided to try and make it a competitive game and now that’s their major demographic, a bunch of unintelligent kangz who buy 5 boxes at 75$ a piece to get one card and everything else besides that card is actually worthless. At least with my draft cards I can build a cube or make a colage or some shit.

>It was made for children to play with their friends then shitters decided to try and make it a competitive game and now that’s their major demographic, a bunch of unintelligent kangz who buy 5 boxes at 75$ a piece to get one card and everything else besides that card is actually worthless.
But thats wrong, the main demographic of yugioh is still nostalgiafags, they literally had an entire arc dedicated to shitting out legacy support and regularly drop anime character packs to improve on cards and strategies from ye olden times. Hell they STILL make boxes and tins with Yugi and Kaibas face on it and they sell like hotcakes, and their most successful franchise is Duel Links. They cater to competitive fags the least.

Ok guys, i'm a newfag in yugioh and i live in a 3rd world shit country, so my question is: Can i buy the cyberse link structure deck and play with that? Mind you i'm only playing against some friends for fun.

wrong, the chink mse, the one they use to make the ygopro 2 cards, has links. I have it but I'm on the phone right now.

Yes. Hell, you could even buy yugi starter 2003 and have fun if its JUST to play with your friends.

starters are usually the best place to start if youre just entering the game.

where will you get it from? Amazon? Ebay?

Synchros are great, xyz is okay, pendulums are op and confusing, and links are actually interesting and gives elements of board control to the game

Mtg can't help it if pathfinder is every retard's favorite role-playing game

The term you're looking for is press ganger

>pendulums are op and confusing
u fucking wot? how are they confusing?

>Have a thing for Brown Egyptain girls
>Get this instead
>Feels bad

Back under the bridge

>vanguard had the balls to make a pirate series of cards with the prefix "negro"
>we have cards like negrolazy and negrobone

You put a pendulum nmonater on each thingy, and then what? Summon a bunch of monsters in one turn somehow?

give me like half an hour, I'll give a full breakdown on pendulums.

If it tqkes more than two minutes to give a decent description of a medhanic it who uldnt be a mechanic

oh it doesn't, I was just doing something.

So pendulums have a blue and red diamond on them(their scales). If you put a pendulum in the scale, it's treated as a spell, and can die like a spell. If you have two pendulums set in the scales, you can summon as many monsters from your hand or faceup in your extra deck, as long as their levels are BETWEEN those scales. So if you have a scale 1 and scale 6, you can summon any monsters that are levels 2-5.

if a pendulum card would leave the field for whatever reason, it goes faceup into the extra deck. As of the new rules, if you want to pendulum summon from the extra deck, you have to summon it into the extra monster zone, or a zone pointed to by a link monster.

pendulums aren't complicated at all.

Okay theyre just a very dumb mechanic that lets you bring out mid to high level monsters incredibly quick.

more that they're a shitty, underpowered mechanic that is a different way to spam lower level monsters. almost every pendulum deck summons out level 3-5 monsters.

you want high level spam, go for tribute or synchro summons.

Hm, i guess i justdontlike it because fuck does it take forever for an opponent to finish a turn

...have you ever seen a synchro or fusion spammer going off?

>it only proves that it does a good job at keeping weebs like yourself away from any good games

It's a hostage TAKER. They don't hold your thing hostage, they hold it hostage and take it too.

Pends are generally absolute shit until konami gives them a bunch of broken support and they go off the walls. Once magicians get astrograph and wisdom eye banned theyll go back to being useless shit again.

So how this proves YGO's wording is clearer?
I realise that MtG wording isn't the best english, but as ESL YGO cards often make nauseous due to their convoluted wording and tiny font.

Not to mention obnoxious anime artstyle , but that's subjective.

You know how you can tell pendulums are complicated? Because you had to say all that shit to explain them, and thats without rules interactions. Whats an xyz? You take two monsters with the same level, stack them on each other, and pull a monster with a matching rank from your extra. Thats it. Thats a good fucking mechanic. It isnt complicated to you because you get them already. But by comparing the rules for pendulums versus, say, fusions or xyz or synchros, you can clearly and objectively tell their comprehension complexity is significantly higher. Links are pushing it too though I think they do slightly better because they have a more visual component. Nothing about pendulums looks or feels like they go the extra deck when theyd be put in the grave, but you can at least tell theres some significance to what link markers point at for example. And also i like them more inherently because they are an extra deck thing.

Yeah i think most people agree that pendulums are a poorly made and long winded mechanic. Luckily theyre mostly regulated to their own decks so you dont have to deal with them very often.

>So how this proves YGO's wording is clearer?
>So how does this prove that YGO's wording is clearer? (I think?)
I'm pretty sure it was meant to illustrate the opposite point. Since is only like 7 lines of a pretty big font, compared to 7 lines put into a 17*50mm text box.
See for this in action.

>I realise that MtG wording isn't the best english,
Actually it kinda is, besides layers you can get nearly everything off of the rules text, and the majority of the evergreen keywords are intuitive.
To be honest i think its your English that's the problem bud.

>obnoxious anime artstyle
I have more of a problem thinking about the fact that a lot of the art of these cards don't belong next to eachother, even in the same set. Archetypes at the very least have a consistent art style, but i find it much easier to believe in olivia valderen fighting off a thragtusk than Madolche Queen Tiaramisu and Ancient Gear Golem even existing in the same dimension. The self aware nature of yugioh art-design is very jarring to me.

Synchros atleast go by relatively fast. Much better than
>oh lemme put this guy dwn
>now lemme send him to the top of my extra by killing him, because that makes perfect sense
>now lemme put some more guys in the grave yard
>now lemme put two guys in these uggly ass slotsto the side/in the spellslots.
>now lemme summon the restof my hand and blitz your ass cuz u was unlucky with your draw

okay, for xyz, what happens to the material? what are ranks? do xyz have levels?

pendulums are only different because they had to go into the main deck, and thus had to have modifications to the card itself.

This game is literally aimed at 6 year olds. There's NOTHING to it that is complicated unless you're literally retarded.

yes, because
>let me summon this guy
>now let me summon another guy
>and another
>and another
>let me send these two to the gy
>and I summon this
>then I draw 1
>then send this guy to the gy and this guy
>and then summon another synchro
>and then draw 2
>then summon 2 more guys
>then I draw 2 more
etc.

I'm an old time Glad Beasts player looking to make a new tempo/stun-style deck ala glad beasts. I've not looked too much into recent archetypes in the past few years, can any more informed YGOfags point me towards some cool archetypes that play a tempo/mini stun style game that utilize toolbox effects to gain an edge over the opponent?

>Pic related, glad beasts are awesome

>he thinks rituals withoutritual spells arecomplicated and longwinded.

This is whqt we call autism

>putting words in my mouth
he was complaining that pendulum spam takes forever to finish, I pointed out that synchro spam takes way longer.

glad beasts just got support.

With that cool link monster they are dope, but I feel the game of yugioh has sped up so much that relying mostly on normal summons, then the glad beast thing of tagging in and out (which if negated, basically clears my own board for my opponent) I don't know if this archetype can really be anything other than pure casual. Not that I play competitively, but I like to have semi-powerful decks.

you dont play glads as a stun deck, you play them as a turbo deck now and shit out Dragacius + Tamer + Heraklinos with a few Gyzarus bombs inbetween.

ok so people bitch the game is shit. how would you fix it user? and no getting rid of it doesn't count.

Go back to synchro era where the game was perfect.

Wait which bazoon era were you? Gadget Bazoon Cyber Dragons/

I meant that MtG English is worse than actual literary English due to them having to cater dozens of technicalities.
>the art of these cards don't belong next to eachother, even in the same set
I noticed it too, I wonder if it's generally jap thing or just YGO specifically.

-bigger font for the text
-less "frame" in the frame so there's more space for art and rules
-get someone who actually speak english to figure out wording
-introduce keywords for things like "cannot be normal summoned, must be only summoned x way... etc."
-have consistent art style (at least for block/set)
-less over-detailed art
-have some resource system (not mana like in MtG) that would restrict bigger and powerful monsters in a way other than 5 lines of small text explaining bullshit way you can cheat it into game.

Also stop pandering to paedophiles but that would probably be pretty bad business decision nowadays.

I think he's having trouble getting how extra deck summons work with them, faggot. It's more than just "Lol, extra deck ritual monster". they change a fundamental part of the game, so someone just coming back would understandably be like "what the fuck is this shit?"

uh, no.

I understand completely how synchros work.

I was pointing out that synchro spam is far more tedious than pendulum spam.

You know how I cal tell none of you have even come close to making the top 50% of a regional or better event?

None of you are talking about the policy documents, the lack of comprehensive rules, and the garbage judge program.

Oh, do you want to deal with rules interactions? I explicitly said in my original post I excluded them because with or without them pendulums are demonstrably and notably more complex than any previous mechanic, but if you're gonna be an asshole I can list every rules weirdness Pendulums have and I would easily outnumber the ones Xyz have just off the top of my head without looking more up that I didn't' think of. And Xyz at least visually compensated for levels, which were an attempt to fix an issue with synchros, which was using synchros to make more synchros. There was a design purpose for that. Another issue was Synchro synergy with graveyard triggers, which Xyz material interaction were also an attempt to fix as well as limit activated effects inherently which was ANOTHER issue synchros had (I should specify for these are percieved problems and not necessarily ones I think truly are issues). Can you tell me why the fuck the concept of spell monsters got wrapped up in this sort of recurring loop if you played two of them mechanic, or why they would make a mechanic where monsters can be played as spells, but they can only normally be recurred as monsters? Pendulums are an absolute cluster fuck.

Being "aimed ar 6 year olds" means nothing and deflecting from my point. If they were truly good at capturing that particular audience they wouldn't have tiny text boxes crunched in with huge paragraphs, not particularly conducive to a young audience. The game is appealing at its core but it's not an especially well-designed game.

OCG actually has either nomi or semi nomi (I forget which) 'keyworded" as a monster type. It got a type in DUEA iirc. I don't know why TCG never adopted the new monster types introduced in DUEA.

Limit Special Summons to three a turn. That could be one monster three times, or Pendulum five monsters and then getting two extra deck monsters afterwards. The game needs to slow the fuck down as a whole.

>in this one specific situation, these cards are spells
>WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS THIS A THING WHAT A CLUSTERFUCK OF A MECHANIC!!!

nigger, literally git gud.

I could also go into how much of a goddamn mess xyz materials were that they had to make a forum post after their release because people were using stupid exploits,
but...

You can't slow down a game where it's possible to play out your hand. I'm not sure what you would expect the game to become if it ended up becoming what you're thinking, but if it did it would actually just be normal summon an 18-19 dude, set 4 or 5 traps, and you'd still be just as fucked because they were able to just play more cards and take the board before you. It's technicaly a little better but I've never heard of "normal summon set 4 backrow" as being many people's favorite format.

and of course, all the decks that spam 'normal summons' would be hilariously OP.

Nice argument.
>Explain in detail about why pendulums don't work as a mechanic from a game design
>Get a trivialized to the point of being borderline unrelated comment and "GET GOOD" in response

>Explain in detail about why pendulums don't work as a mechanic from a game design
is that what you think you did? Because it amounted to a paragraph of "WAAAAAAH ITS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT AND I HATE THAT!"
>while also defending a mechanic that was so badly implemented they literally had to release an update to the rules on a forum months AFTER its release

git. gud.