Develop a "Kitchen Table" TCG Format

Alright Veeky Forums, I'm a big fan of card games and have been since I was a kid. For those of you like me, I'm sure you have nostalgia for those times when it was just you and your friends playing whatever jank you opened from the packs your moms bought you at the mall combined with your starter deck. Obviously those times didn't last long once we grew up and learned how to actually play the various games but my challenge to you is to come up with a generic (or malleable) format that recaptures that spirit of casual kitchen table play of the past. My idea is something like a long term sealed game in MtG:
>all players (likely you and your friends) start with a premade starter deck of their choice (probably should be from the same era of whatever game you're playing)
>every "season" can only buy X number of packs per set or per time period to edit their decks
>no singles
>can only make trades writhin your group
>if same player stays atop the rankings for Y amount of time in a row, the rest of the group gets to ban one card from his or her deck

So what do you think? What rules would you implement to try and recapture those times or do you believe it's a fool's errand?

>1 short of a 5
Better luck next time

the pair of you are embarrassing. here’s your 5

>tfw I chose the wrong image to have a serious thread with
>tfw I still have to check Anons digits
Help me relive my childhood you fucks!

>when it was just you and your friends playing whatever jank you opened from the packs
Have you not heard of draft? That’s literally what draft format is

I was thinking something closer to constructed, but where the pool of cards is limited by how many you can get, as opposed to things such as mana cost. I love draft but it's pretty expensive to play often, although I guess I could get off my butt and make a cube. Although that really only works for MtG and similar games.

a five for each of their failures, yami you say dog

>Although that really only works for MtG and similar games.
I thought you wanted to play it for mtg?

Anyway me and my friend play old school yugioh. We have a big ass box of cards that we’ve carefully parsed through and removed anything from the eras we don’t like, set up in monsters, tribute monsters, spells and traps.

Face down, we take as many of each pile as we think we want to build the deck, and play with whatever we pull. It works because it’s the older era cards, so pulling junk is workable.

I’m confused by your post, do you want rules to make your house rules more fun, or do you want us to describe a new TCG for you?

It would require a tcg to knowingly limit the powerlevel of its cards so that games last longer or the strategy of "attack with a bunch of weak dudes" is the best/only strategy.

In order for this to become a popular game, or at least popular enough not to die after one printing, everything other than the gameplay has to be spectacular. People play games because of the gameplay. Figuring out the best strategy, or winning with esoteric strategies is the appeal of 99.9% of competitive games. So you're game can't be competitive. And good luck marketing that.

So the lore has to be phenomenal. But there are plenty of games out there with phenomenal lore. Even the Lord of the Rings tcg didn't last long, and you're not JRR Tolkien. So you're going to have to rely on gimmicks and luck for this one.

And the art has to be great. And you're not an artist, so have fun blowing all your money commissioning art. Oh, you can get people on deviantart to do it? People are already mad about the quality of MTG's art, and they use real artists, so you really think some 15yr old with a tablet is going to save your game because he'll do 20 cards for $20?

And the game cant stagnate. You have to introduce new characters, places, mechanics, etc into your game without it losing that "kitchen table" feel and also without every expansion being a waste of money for people to buy. This means new stories that will take attention away from your old ones. Hope you saved some of that hidden writing talent for the expansion!

I was talking about coming up with a format for existing TCGs such as Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh. Not developing a new one. A format is just a ruleset determining what cards you can construct a deck with and the criteria of that deck.

Card games are fucking gay

Play draft or play old formats. Better yet, draft old formats. It's extremely difficult to capture the feel you want for games you are already familiar with.

Honestly if you want to recapture the old feel, get into a new game with your friends. Buy boxes and see what you come up with completely without being spoiled by the internet.

Dollar store highlander:
Buy repacks bulk cards (In my experience, if you ask your FLGS to sell you bulk draft chaff, they will just let you take as much as you want for free), make a 100 card highlander deck with as many basic lands as you need. If you have doubles in your pool you can trade them to somebody who also has doubles.

Highlander is a good idea. It also prevents archetypes from powercreeping the filler.

That is the exact way I want to play but everybody's a freakin tourneyfag or doesn't know what a TCG is. Please play with me, TC. Where do you reasonable real people all live?

>Setting
It could contain creatures from various Mytologies: Greek, Egipcian, Aztec, Viking, Chinese, Indian.
It cant contain any futiristic mechanism like mechas or sofisticated robots, rare steampunk things at most
>Resources
Players have turn counters, they can play cards as powerful as their counter allows
>Tournaments
PRETTY EXPENSIVE
Players are usually provided with electronic playmats containing QR read machines
Cards have tiny QR codes used to create the olograms of images and animations of the cards
Cards had no text, to know what they do you have to read the oficial site (the cards QR codes also redirects to each card rules link)

Requiring use of e-readers is a really unique idea but limits playability outside of designated areas. Also the cost of taking such a game off the ground is pricy. The overall theme associated with such (which can be tooled into the world building; think what Duel Monsters is to YuGiOh TCG, the setting is a meta world where the game is played) with that sort of technology sets kids to be players of the show they witness. Then you can further develop lore within sets to further build up a world. Stack layers to appeal to multiple audiences. Packs have lore but it’s sold as being representative of the show/media used to appeal to children.

>In my experience, if you ask your FLGS to sell you bulk draft chaff, they will just let you take as much as you want for free
Fucking what?
I've never seen a store charge under 15 cents for a card, and I've rarely seen a store charge under a dollar for anything rarer than uncommon.

>Packs have lore but it’s sold as being representative of the show/media used to appeal to children.
So, what YGO, Duel Masters, and CFV already do?

I dunno user. I've done this at three different stores now, and so far their reaction to me wanting to buy random assortments bulk commons/uncommons is that they just hand me huge boxes full of cards and say I can have them for free. Only thing I've had to pay for were the boxes.

Not only do the stores I've been to charge as many as 50 cents for a bulk common, but they charge extra service charge for buying in large amounts "because it takes so long to ring them all up". I've seen this at a minimum of ten stores.

Dunno user, regional difference maybe? Maybe just get to know your FLGS managers. It is always good to make friends with the manager of your FLGS.

A couple of those I had been at for years. One of them did it because they were struggling to keep up with costs due to active sabotage from another store. Another did it because "they own a store and I don't; they're older than 40 and I'm not; therefore they know better".

The first one is pretty rough, and maybe believable, but the second one just sounds like they were assholes.

The active sabotage was real. They didn't even mention it to me until I brought up overhearing it the first time I checked out said other store.
They were. Every employee there was an elitist. The Magic community there drove me away from the game.

>Greek
Good
>Viking
Good
>Chinese
Iffy
>Indian
Borderline
>Egyptian
>Aztec
CULTURAL APPROPRIATION REEEEE

Exactly, but outside of that one storyline based thing that used those arcade machine things, YGO’s cards haven’t had a collective lore for the cards themselves across the various sets.

just grab a revised core set of netrunner