>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
What's the worst thing your players have ever done, in or out of character?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aJMvnT_JRa8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung_dragon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

mike mearls you fucking cuck

You forgot to include the new video about everyone's favorite thing! Elf subraces!
youtube.com/watch?v=aJMvnT_JRa8

Guys help me design a kickass focus for my necromancer that isn't just skulls and bones + a staff

>Str: 11
>Dex: 11
>Con: 12
>Int: 16
>Wis: 13
>Cha: 14

Are solid stats for a Wizard? I don't care about being optimized, I just want to know if I'm lacking anywhere and if I'm solid where I should be. Race is half-elf, racial modifiers have been taken into account.

>What's the worst thing your players have ever done, in or out of character?
So one of my players was asked for a blood sacrifice.
They offered me a vial of period blood.

I once covered a guy in chains, then cast heat metal on the chains to get information.

Atrophied arm as a rod. Fist is clenched, with the bony index finger pointing out.

Did you roll or are you point buying? If the latter, you really shouldn't be having all those 11s.

Pretty balanced, but you're better off getting the extra dex instead of STR
>Str: 10
>Dex: 12
>Con: 12
>Int: 16
>Wis: 13
>Cha: 14
You'll very rarely be using strength and having the 11 in it won't really help.
Extra dex is gonna keep you alive.

If I had the means to alter the damage type of Eldritch Blast, would the Agonizing Blast Invocation Damage stack with another feature that lets you add CHA mod to spells that deal a certain damage type? In my case I have a feature that allows me to add my CHA mod when dealing cold damage. We play with Wardrows Feat Compendium, so I've been eyeing the Arcane Pioneer feat.

Point buy. I was going to take elven weapon proficiency as my variant racial trait and have a shortsword instead of a dagger. Having them at 11 meant no negative modifier, which I thought was good. But Dex at 12 sounds like a good call, because it determines your AC if you're unarmored, right?

The finger bones from your dead wife/husband's ring finger curled around the stone from your wedding ring. Set that as a pendant on a necklace laced with whatever precious metal was used for the ring.

We tried to commit a terrorist attack on a bridge

Out of game I recently asked one of my players why their PC chose to start dating an NPC in game. They told me something along the lines of "I feel sorry for them, and feel like they are an lost animal."

After recognizing how messed up that statement was, they soon retracted this statement to say, they are dating them because the PC does not think he will live much longer and wanted to have a little bit of happiness before dying & bring her some happiness too.

>They offered me a vial of period blood.
That's icky. Why would someone do something so icky?

It benefits AC, Initiative and Stealth Rolls.
All good things for a squishy.
It also benefits Mage Armour (13 + Dex)

12 Dex it is.

That's really creative but I don't want to use body parts at all and my character is a single pringle.

Well, what's your character's motivation for adventuring and what made them study to become a Necromancer?

Ghostwood staff.

Shortswords are Finesse weapons, so you can use DEX as your attacking stat instead of STR. Make your +1 stats DEX and INT and then I'd reecomend going either:

8/14/14/16/12/12 if you think you're going to be using your sword a lot to slap people trying to get close or have to worry about cqc. As a Wizard, you don't need to worry too much about CHA except for saves (unless you plan to multiclass into Sorcerer, warlock, or bard).

8/12/12/16/12/14 if you're not going to be frontlining and instead going to be a cheeky cunt sitting in the back spamming magic missile and other shit as a spellcaster mortar and do plan on multiclassing into a CHA caster/ just want to be able to do more in non-combat situations. Decent saves all around except STR, but I can't think of any spells that require STR to make a save.

Either way, you gotta go Mage Armor as one of your spells. It'll be your bread and butter defensively like said.

She had a professor while in the academy that imprinted the idea that no field of magic should be taboo and as long as it's for the betterment of arcane understanding, and used responsibly, necromantic magic needs to be less stigmatized and more accessible. That on top of a natural curiosity on the topic are what pushed her to focus her studies this way.

What's a good damaging spell for a bard to pick up?

Vicious Mockery.

Viscous Mockery

Anything aside from cantrips?

see

How much of a meme is this backstory?

The DM asked for a couple paragraphs. It's going to be a Lv2 High Elf Rogue.

Nigger you're the fucking support, you're supposed to be buffing your team and debuffing the enemy. You are the captain of the S.S. Retard and by god you need to make sure your idiots stay alive or else you're fucked. You want to play a combat caster? Play Wizard, Warlock, or Sorcerer.

>half-elf
>elven weapon proficiency

Did you mean High Elf?

Seems fine to me. I personally like it. It's a bit more interesting than the average rogue backstory, I'll say that.

Half-Elves can select what kind of Elf makes up the half. Choosing High Elf grants elven weapon proficiencies.

I have the sword in case the DM tries to squish me somehow. The plan is to stay back and cast, but I also want to have good Charisma, for social encounters. I haven't considered multiclassing, but if I did I would probably go Bard. I had INT as one of my +1s and WIS as my other. I could put STR down to 9 and make DEX a +1, but I don't think I'd want to leave STR at 8.

That would put me at 9/14/12/16/12/14, all said and done.

Sun/Moon Elf Descent.

How could Mordenkainen's sword be changed so that it wouldn't suck?

It would depend on if your DM is a shitty dm using Encumberance rules as to if you need the STR higher than 8. If they are, find a new dm. If they aren't then you should logically be able to carry all your gear with 8 STR.

Dexterity is your most important ability score regardless of whether or not you're focusing on combat. Con 12 is livable but I wouldn't go in melee and I'd focus on bows. Int 16 is doing little for you so I'd drop that to a 14. That gives room for more DEX and CON.

I've heard that having your casting ability less than 16 is a bad move. The sword isn't there because I plan to be doing melee, it's there just in case and because it's better than a dagger.

oh I was under the impresion you were a rogue for some reason based off your backstory
nevermind, carry on

for some stupid reason i thought these werre all in the same chain, that's my bad, I was totally confused

It's fine.

Cut out you managing to negotiate with the hobgoblins part, just stick to running away... just like an elf would. A common mistake is just having things become too convenient to believe for the sake of class/race/etc.

Funeral bell that doubles as a dinner bell for your undead hordes.

It is NOT fine.

I'm in the mood of playing some D&D computer games. Which are the best, what system they happen in, what are that games and systems major short comings?

>he was a good actor, always a crowd favorite thus always played the hero

leave playing the villain out, no need to confuse the issue: he played the hero and believed he was a hero! leave out the far distant epic, it detracts from the point: he played the hero, he was damn good, everyone loved him for it, and he began to believe!

>guilds for jobs not guides
>he started by talking about doing jobs
>he began to actually accept small jobs
>getting more and more caught up in the "role"
>he actually WENT on a job (only the one)
>rather than avoiding the fight, he thought stage bravado would be enough to back the hobgoblins off, which ended in them falling on the few fellows who'd come to do the job, having expected he could fight and support them.

I'd also make it clear he didn't fight, didn't even try, and that's why they didn't just kill him in the fight.

>cut off the little finger on his left HAND

and I think Aewyn should beg and plead and the hobgobbos, so impressed with his depth of acting in doing so return him to the king or whatever for entertainment, he survived by debasing himself for the gobbos enjoyment until the same guild sent a bigger force months later to find out what had happened and actually wipe out the threat.

Seeing he was about to be rescued, Aewyn grabbed a dagger and cut off his own left pinky, claiming the still fresh wound was from the battle months before when his companions were lost ("see, I fought?") such a pathetic lie they didn't even bother to call him out, leaving him shunned and evaded instead.

The irony is I actually knew a guy who trained in martial arts to improve or fake some self confidence and while stronger and more skilled than his peers always lost fights in competition because he had some kind of sub-complex.

Also:
1. don't put it on your character sheet
2. it's a good length but literally just use a separate sheet of paper
3. reread your shit nigger, this isn't a post it's for the DM

It is, in fact, fine.

Baldurs Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale, Planescape torment, D&D 2.5e, major shortcomings is it's D&D 2.5 and not just 2e.

dude. I've been playing exiled kingdoms and it's fucking great. android. slow start, lots of grinding, impossible to build a non-DPS and progress, but it's a fucking decent little RPG.

A tome. Just that. Simple. A tome.

MADE OUT OF THE FLESH OF YOUR DEAD CHILD! Or children, since I don't know if a baby has enough skin to make solid bindings for a tome.

Is forgoing Ability Improvement the only way to get feats?

Yes.

Sorry I didn't play D&D back them, what are the issue of 2e/2.5?
Any of those you would recommend starting over the others?

That's a neat idea. I was also considering a rod topped with a crystal filled with a small amount of distilled spirits.

2.5 just adds a bunch of needless shit to complicate things. Start with BG1, then 2. IWD is good but doesn't have as iconic party members. If you think you recognize the voice actors or character concepts it's because Bioware has been reusing them for the last 2 decades.

When i played a necromancer/barbarian (he was a cleric that was in service of the god of death) the focus we used for him was a special weapon made of a sharpened pelvis bone atop a severed leg with his phylactery embedded in the crotch (did i mention he was a lich? yeah he was a lich too.)

Session coming up.

Party defended the river ship from a bunch of undead and are going to keep sailing with a skeleton crew (get it?) because some of them got murdered by the party after the fight.

The boat is rowed by kobold slaves kept in pens they haven't seen yet. An NPC they came with is also in one of the pens/cages. There will probably be mean ass pixies in bottles and some other things down there. They know the slaves are slaves and have seen them shackled in groups of 3 to kobold the oars (man the oars, get it?) but dont' seem to give the slightest fucking shit about it.

They've got a few days to get upstream, as in it will take them a few days at least to get there. There is also a group of refugees hanging out in a rowboat kind of waiting to be asked aboard.

I have dropbears for if they go overland
>dropbears: use hyena statblock with a climbspeed
(kudos to the user who posted dropbears, fucking love it). see also: nandi bear

Assuming they (6 level 3s) instead stay on the boat and row upstream, what fun shit can I throw at them en-route?

that or play 3.pf instead

>Assuming they (6 level 3s) instead stay on the boat and row upstream, what fun shit can I throw at them en-route?
Kobold slave uprising.

I need some help with ideas for smallish maps with a main hazard/gimmick.

Also, post pics of some of your favourite maps.

Some kind of weapon would have been cool but my necromancer is a frail 'hang in the back and let the skeletons and fighters take the hits for you' type so just a fancy stick for meee

Tell me about your character’s husbando/waifu. Why did you get enamored with them?

absolutely been in the cards. oddly they have no interest or compassion, but with the few crew left I can see it happening. there are even two kobolds in the crew who could release all of them, seeing the opportunity. hmm.

>Why did you get enamored with them?

You mean why did my character get enamored with them, I hope.

Depending on the area... Crocodiles, Poisonous plants, Snakes, Massive Birds, Spiders.
Wait... This is 5e, not Australia.
Probably a weak-ish roper, river bandits, gnolls.

One of my players is a weaboo and handed me a backstory involving earth dragons. Where can I read about such creatures?

I know what I wrote, I’m asking why you pursued that character as a love interest when you had effectively every other NPC in the campaign to show interest in.

I have a six level mini dungeon that is, in itself a trap entire.

highlights would be spikes on the walls that are actually for lit barrels of oil to explode on, the depressions opposite the spikes are actually thin veneers at the end of ramps.

one room that is accidentally left lit can only be viewed through two arrow slits. the room has a heavy crossbow propped against the wall.

an a spiral stair that turns into a slide with the proper amount of weight, e.g. the giant treasure box and the two adventurers needed to carry it on the top few steps.

there is a bull that gets let out in another room after they pass (reskinned giant elk) and did I mention they go down the whole six floors with no resistance, get ambushed in the treasure room and then have to fight and endure all the traps while lugging the giant chest full of gold in order to get out?

in your setting I'd imagine, since that's where he grew up.

Oh, right, we're playing an official module so it's Forgotten Realmsies

See if you can have a scythe with like bone charms or a rams skull on it. Necromancers are all about the dead and bones and ghosts and shit so you gotta do some shit like that, its just natural.

Then his nonsense dragon doesn't exist?

They don't exist.
Metallic:
>Gold
>Silver
>Brass
>Bronze
>Copper
Chromatic:
>Red
>Blue
>Green
>White
>Black
If it's Platinum or Multicoloured tell them to pick a different one.
Key thing to remember
Metallic = Good (No Exceptions)
Chromatic = Evil (No Exceptions)

/5eg/, I'm trying to figure out how to make a character to best use the new Infernal Calling and Summon Greater Demon spells. I can't decide whether a Warlock or Wizard works better.

Pros of Wizard
>Access to higher level summons (Draegloth w/ 6th-level, Chain devil & Hezrou & Shoosuva w/ 7th-level, Bone devil & Glabrezu w/ 8th, Yochlol [& Horned Devil w/talisman] w/ 9th)
>Shoosuva is fucking terrifying and has a horrible CHA save
>limited immunity to losing Concentration
>you're still a wizard at the end of the day

Cons of Wizard
>CR 9-10 demons all have magic resistance as well as high CHA saves, meaning they'll break free after a few turns even with True Name shenanigans
>Similarly, CR 9-10 devils all have high Insight, meaning those upcasted summoning slots are much riskier.

Pros of Warlock
>Bitchin' thematic resonance
>Access to Rod of the Pact Keeper, the only save DC boost that isn't legendary
>Chance of Patron-shenanigans IC for extra goodies
>CHA casting means better synergy with Infernal Calling's opposed check
>Chains of Carceri makes it much easier to handle if they break free

Cons of Warlock
>Limited to 5th-level slots, so no summons of CR 7 or higher
>Get next to no mileage with Infernal Calling, the far superior summoning spell
>Warlocks have a much harder time working outside of their specialization than Wizards do

It essentially boils down to this: Wizard can summon more powerful fiends, whereas Warlocks are better at controlling the ones they get.

/5eg/, which one would you take?

> tfw my tg waifu is a player not a PC

Necklace of Eyeballs

you're the DM you tell us

I'd rather be able to control the ones I summon.
After all, if I think smart enough I can get them to be as effective as a higher CR creature.

W-what? Tell us about them!

He doesn't have one. He's a man on a mission and he doesn't have time for THOTS.

I let my players take both with the understanding that I make all the monsters significantly stronger.

I don't think I would take that deal.

Actually I'm the DM. I was just wondering because the only reference I can find to earth dragons (li lung) is from 3e - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung_dragon - and sometimes you autists know things I don't

Guess I'll just make some shit up.

I'm trying to make a fun battle for a couple of my players that are super into pokemon, I'm basically have them battle the legendary birds. What environment would be an appropriate lair for Zapdos? Obviously in Red/Blue it was in a power plant, but that's not really an option in 5e

all I can say is she's bretty fucking amazing for being a 3DPD

not him but I would make the monsters significantly stronger anyway.

find your DM sack and just say "no".

I give martials a freebie, They have to go through some serious training though.

>I train
>are you serious about it?
>yes
>have a feat

I make them stronger regardless

Whats the best way to destroy a wizards spell book?

would just dumping water on it be enough?

Not if they have an Enduring one from XGtE

I'm very late to this topic but I started getting an idea about a wizard/rogue multiclass.

Half-Elf and choose skill versatility to grab any skills you feel like you're missing (Arcana and whatever you want).
Taking 2 levels in Rogue first would give you proficiency in 4 skills, expertise in 2 skills (Stealth, Perception, whatever), Light Armor, some weapon proficiencies, +1d6 sneak attack (IIRC melee cantrips would work if you make the attack with a shortsword), and cunning action so if you went traditional wizard from here you'd be able to cast a spell, run away/hide with a bonus action. Your saving throws would be Dex & Int. That would greatly benefit wizard in my opinion. You would also have the option of adding 1 more rogue level to get into Arcane Trickster if you desired or just continue to level up as a wizard.

Tell me about an artifact in your world. There's a dagger in the one I'm playing in that, in exchange for two levels of exhaustion, will maximize your sneak attack damage roll on the next attack you make.

How the fuck do I balance combats for a 2 Member party? I can't seem to find the balance and they always seem to have a fucking hard time even when I try to go easy on them.

NPC followers, mercenaries, hirelings, whatever.

Has anyone used Wish in any of their games? What happened?

As a DM, would you purposely fuck with a player's Wish spell or are you more likely to grant them the obvious intent behind it?

Are you applying the right multiplier when totalling the XP? Parties less than 3 move the multiplier up a tier.

The wizard in my game never used it for anything apart from duplicating other spells.

If your group has progressed to level 17 then you should have an understanding between each other by this point, let them have fun with Wish.