ITT: Steamed Hams but it's a D&D session

>"You hear a knock at the door. You open it to find your boss has arrived. He chastises you for giving him poor directions."

"I greet him cordially and go to check on my roast."

>Roll a cooking check

"Shit. I rolled a 4."

>You enter the kitchen to find smoke billowing
from your oven. Your roast is ruined!

"Fuck fuck fuck. I look around to see if there's anything I can whip up really quick."
>You see a Krusty Burger across the street

"Hmmmm... Could I buy some burgers and roll bluff to pass it off as my own?"

>Hold up let me check... yes you can!"

"I exit through the window to go across the street"

>Your boss bursts through the door as your abut half-way through

I tell him I'm.. uh.. doing exercises!

>He asks you why there's smoke coming out of your oven

I roll a bluff check and tell him it's... steam? Yeah, steam.

>Wow. 17 is a success. He looks at you skeptically but returns to the dining room anyway.

I breathe a sigh of relief and run to the Krusty Burger.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/57550442/
youtu.be/9WtWMByFGYU
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>You return with your new dinner. What do you do?

"I enter the dining room and present him with his new dish."

>He looks at you confused, and says he thought you were serving steamed clams

"Shit. I didn't think this through... uhhh... I tell him that it's what we call Hamburgers were I'm from."

>Roll it

>He's confused, but convinced. He asks you where they call hamburgers that.

"Uh.. Albany?"

>He says, "I see." and begins eating. He rolls a spot check and says, "You know, these Hamburgers are quite similar to the ones they have at Krusty Burger..."

"I tell him it's an old family recipe." *Rolls 9*

>"...For steamed hams?'

"Yes!"

>"And you call them steamed hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled?"

"I roll a bluff check to convince him that's how it's supposed to look." *Rolls 1* FUCK.

>You begin, but you can't help but stammer and struggle to get out what you really want to say.

"I excuse myself to the kitchen quickly."

>When you enter, you find the kitchen in flames

"What the fuck!?"

>You forgot to turn the oven off

"Fucking shit! Ummm.. I go into the dining room and tell him diner is over."

>He agrees, but when he stands up, he sees what's going on in your kitchen and yells, "GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE!?"

"Shit. Well, I'm fucked anyway. I just tell him it's the Aurora Borealis or something." *Rolls nat 20*

>Your boss looks at you incredulously. "Aurora borealis. At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN!?!?!?"

"...Yes!"

>He hesitates. "May I see it."

"No."

>As you usher him out the door, you hear your mother yell out to you that your house is on fire.

"I tell her the same thing" *Rolls 12*

>Your boss thanks you for the meal and commends you on your cooking ability. You hear sirens in the distance.

Made me chuckle

bretty gud. accurate.

>Rolls nat 20
>implying this means anything on a skill check
i'll let it slide for the sake of Steamed Hams being an alright meme

xplain

/Thread.

natural 20 carries no meaning on a skill check. critical hits are the only roll which benefits from a natural 20 outside of the resulting roll being high.
if you think i'm lying, look it up in any d20 system. there is no written rule that states that a nat 20 on a skill check is an automatic success

Good stuff

I like the meme, but at this point it is retarded

>Roll a cooking check
>"Shit. I rolled a 4."
>You enter the kitchen to find smoke billowing
Why would that roll affect what happened before the player even walked into the kitchen? If the player had rolled high, would he have gone back in time to save the roast before it was burnt?

I don't think you thought this one through, OP.

He obviously had prepared the food before, the but cooking check was rolled at that point to see how good the end result was.

DM prolly forgot to make the cooking check before.

This.

I sure hope somebody was fired for that.

You don't /thread your own post.

There is. It says that rolls are for when the outcome of the action is unsure. If a 20 is a fail, the result of the roll is irrelevant and should not be done in the first place.
And before you ask. To see the degree of failure the GM first announce that the action failed and ask for a roll to see how bad it is or how well the consequences are avoided.

>I attack the goblin
>Ok, it falls down dead
>Now roll to hit

There's a reason the roll is done before the outcome.

That thread was best

So there's still no rule that states that a natural 20 on a skill roll means an automatic success? Thanks for proving my point, faggot.

Not that guy, but you could always houserule it, if that helps.
I don't think nat 20 being "special" is necessarily that bad, at least if someone can keep the GM in check. It only gets bad when bashing a door open with nat 20 results in a "You hit the door so hard that it flies into a parallel universe", imo.

If one of your players fails a roll with a nat20 you are breaking the rules of the game (or using house rules)

I put the food in the oven.
>roll cooking
I know how an oven works user.
>yeah but you need to roll for cooking now.
Why? the critical part of putting something in the oven is when to take it out.
>Fine we'll roll then. It'll be more dramatic anyway and allow for unexpected failure instead of expected failure.
Yeah, that'll stop me from precognitively knowing I will ruin something and creating a dissonance when I for some reason create a second dish while the first one isn't even ruined yet.
>how immersive!

A natural 20 is still the highest result available, so if you are able to convince them at all on a bluff check, a 20 would do it. I get what you're trying to say, but you've missed the point entirely.

Or they're untrained, or it's a high DC skillcheck, or they have a negative modifier from a debuff.

>the critical part of putting something in the oven is when to take it out.

>I put the roast in the oven, then I leave it, unattended, for 2 days
>come back, roll an 18
>Perfectly cooked!

Like I said, there's a reason you do the roll at the beginning.

I don't think a dm would allow that to happen, maybe you should think a little harder.

That's why the GM should roll cooking in secret and tell them the result when they check the oven.

>I don't think a dm would allow that to happen
Exactly. A good DM would only allow you to roll at the beginning.

Link?

In all of this cases they don't roll because there is no doubt about the outcome of the action.

Get a load of this guy

It's so common, does it really matter user?

There are rules. We're not savages.

OP is a month late to the party

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/57550442/

While we're making retarded arguments
>I put the roast in the oven
>Roll an 18
>I then leave it, unattended, for 252 million years as I wait for the triassic period to end.
>Perfectly cooked!

But rolling an 18 means you wouldn't leave it unattended. That's the result of rolling well and succeeding - you performed the task correctly. I mean I guess you can intentionally fuck it up after rolling, but in that case you can't expect that everything still turns out fine.

That's why you roll before. Rolling at the moment you go to take the roast out of the oven is pointless, because the PC either took it out at the right time and it is perfectly done, in which case a roll is not needed, or he took it out at the wrong time and it is over/undercooked, and a roll is still not needed. Allowing the player to roll afterwards essentially retcons his past actions into being the right ones, regardless of what he did.
>i call the noble a slimy bastard and spit on him
>ok now I roll diplomacy to get him on my side
>great success! he is now your friend

Also I do not think there were ovens around during the Triassic period.

youtu.be/9WtWMByFGYU

You should brush up on your meme lore.

Clearly the noble is from a culture where those a considered compliments.

Fuck off with your normie-reddit shit memes, you absolute subhuman.

Living proof that reddit/tumblr immigrants are the cancer that is killing Veeky Forums.

to be fair, I can't be assed to know all of the stats and modifiers my players have. I usually ask them what their bonuses are for really high DC checks, but usually its just easier to ask them to roll and see what happens.

Site elitism and screaming about normies/reddit/tumblr/etc is what's killing Veeky Forums

>Site elitism

Thanks for showing off how fucking new you are, you shit-eater.

Nah, fuck off.

Amazing how you continue to prove my point how you and your ilk are shitting up Veeky Forums.

You didn't hear about Steamed Hams: Bukkake edition.

You've never rolled for success at the end of the task? Have you played an RPG before?

>No fun allowed
Get bent fag

>That's not how rolling a 20 on a skill check works!!!
>I can't be asked to make a skill check that a character can actually pass
Nigga what?

if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first talk about parallel universes

Go back to /v/ you dumb fuck.

>posting nagatoro