Alright Veeky Forums, we're all used to games with hitpoints. Maybe fatigue. Maaaaaybe hunger

Alright Veeky Forums, we're all used to games with hitpoints. Maybe fatigue. Maaaaaybe hunger.

Where are the games that have stats and mechanics for the entirety of Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

maslow is a hack

Only the weak and foolish need to have their existence validated by others

Sex is not a fucking physiological need, because you will not die without it

You literally only need the bottom tier, so adding the rest as "needs" in an RP seems pointless.

Maslow's hierarchy is about what drives us psychologically and the lowest level is of motivators is physiological. So sex is shorthand for sexual desire. Notice family is listed among Safety which could include having a genetic legacy and sexual intimacy is listed under Love/Belonging.

If you interpret it that way, ALL of those needs are physiological.

Groß probably

WTF autocorrect? I said GURPS.

Ha, if GURPS has a list of mechanics for how to handle Maslow, I want to know.

Woman, I have NEEEEEEDS.

This, he seemed like a nice person to hang with but honestly the whole hierarchy of needs thing his whole career was based on is a load of rubbish, you just need to see how poorly people spend their money to realize its just plain untrue

The complexity-to-experience factor is just too bad to implement most of it in a tabletop RPG. For computer games, especially those that simulate survival in a hostile environment (ARK: Survival Evolved) or social interactions (Crusader Kings 2), those are fine.

The rest handily fit under morale and fellowship bonuses/penalties, which many games have in some form.

Man cannot live on bread alone.

Do you "need" to eat every day? Pft, no. They've had studies where a fatty went a YEAR without eating. Just vitamins to ward off the scurvy. (And constant hospital analysis because holy shit you're starving a man to death.) After the first week he got used to the lethargy that sets in from that much fasting. Yeah, weird right? Totally turns my post-apocalypse setting on it's head.

And just what is a "need"? Something that, without, will be the end of you? In that case, YES, lacking security of body will drive you fucking crazy and it can be your end. Imagine that you were in a position that some sadist could come and torture you or fuck you whenever they wanted and you didn't really have any way to stop them. That's a hellscape. The sort of shit that drives people crazy. To suicide. "Worse than death". Dumb fucks go crazy over all sorts of things. Of course people aren't going to directly die from a lack of morality, but they might do something that gets them killed.

But the entire point of the pyramid is that people build up from the bottom, and will occasionally put off a lower-level to achieve a higher level. Like students missing sleep to secure employment. But if you're missing a layer underneath, all the shit on top becomes less pressing. If you're got all of a layer, you'll start working on the one above it. And yeah, the items nearer the top get a little fuzzy.

It's also useful for justifying brigands and raiders. Remove bricks at the bottom and shit comes toppling down.

And hit-points.... AREN'T a hack?

Is personal development through wanton murder really any better?

Come on, do you know of any RPGs that deal with psychological aspects? I mean, there's SAN loss. That's something.

fpbp
The fact that this shit is still taught at school is a disgrace. Generally the whole humanist psychology was a mistake.

Vampire: The Masquerade / Dark Ages

If you aren't a slavering psychotic wreck by the end of the chronicle you're playing it wrong

AIs prove him right by logic, though.

How would you implement it, OP?

>top level isn't smug anime girl
you already failed

Why do we even need maslow if even IRL we can't fulfil the first level completely?

Jesus, I don't know.

.... Typical RPG rules for lack of sleep, drowning, starving.

A... Psychological stress value. Every... day? that you aren't safe in... something from the list, your STRESS VALUE increments. You make a will save vs. being compelled to change your plan. Like if you're a grunt in a war and you're not safe and you believe you're going to die. Eventually you fail that accumulating check and you're compelled desert. Maybe some sort of state-machine of various checks and compulsions for working your way though issues and finally gaining acceptance. Like you get cancer and there's no cure. You're prompted to try a whole bunch of things liiiiiiike walking through those 12 stages of grief. You can't pass stage 4 and stay bitter at the world for a long time.

Social contacts and family members provide bonuses to psych rolls.

The Esteem tier are essentially minor psychological feat/flaws. Bullshit a bunch of bonuses and penalties, compelled rolls in certain situations. Most should deal primarily with social interactions. Risk of gaining flaws if you don't have a threshold of friends and family (and fucking).

Self-actualization would be victory points. You role play and point out things like "bitches, I totally had a novel and creating solution to that gelatinous cube back there. I get the SA:creativity point this session". Or "hmmmm, I'm lagging behind that douche with the creativity point.... I spontaneously go donate to those orphans Yeah. Come on, give me the points!".

But fuck me, it's trying to reduce the human condition to a few stats. It's hard and I haven't really thought about it. Isn't this the sort of shit professionals write books about?

Quads and dubs prove that Maslow's a hack and AIs are wrong.

Sword Path Glory has rules for
1-needing to sleep
2-Health
3-Morality
4-Seeing friends/family dying reduce your morale (chance to be able to try to make an attack). So, this includes famlity and friends.
5-Same as before but for thinking the enemy is stronger than you, this includes self-steem and confidence
6-Homeostasis is there too, the amount of damage you received at some part of body, determine the max strenght you can use with this part of body and max strenght you can use with this body part without increase your chance to die, and slowing the recovery procress

Good going. I opted for sanity decreasing when non-material needs aren't fulfilled; insanity would have dentrimental effects on stats.

>But fuck me, it's trying to reduce the human condition to a few stats.

I tried to implement the Big Five as a quick character personality generator. Works extremely well for
me as a GM if I want to create top notch NPCs. But my players really didn't want to bother and none of them are stupid or to lazy
with their characters. Nearly all of them people with university degrees and willing to hand my 1-3 pages of sensible background.

That's way beyond what even I tried as mentioned before. My question would be: What for?
I could maybe see something like that for a self-discovery journey and/or empathy training, but that's very specific and not very atttractive (in this volume) as a game.

the top levels are things that should be roleplayed
gamifying them by putting them into numbers is a detriment to anyone apart from autists who literally can not grasp them on their own

>t. solipsist

Too close to home.
At least I'm glad Matt seems to be doing well these days.

Keeping track of things like fatigue and wounds through points is fine, but it's needless crunch for everything else. Roleplay that instead, you penis

We are social tribe oriented creatures user, fighting the animal drive to belong will only increase your suffering.