/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Flash Red creatures that aren't Dragons edition! (Make Red creatures that are rare or mythic that aren't Dragons, but instead another Red creature type. (eg. Hellion, Manticore, Giant))

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Do we really need all these Art Sources?
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Might as well open with this.

>Flash Red creatures
Fuuuck, that was supposed to say "Flashy." Now it seems like I'm saying people should make Red creatures with Flash.

Should have waited until the morning. There's no guarantee the thread gets bumped through the night.

No guarantee the last thread would've survived either.

Phasing is always weird to see. Even stranger seeing it done like this. Not sure how to judge this really.

whoops, wrong artist

How about a big flashy Devil?

So all you need to win after getting this guy out is to hit with him, then use a Shock?

That's the plan, although like most Red plans it can blow up in your face.
They could kill you on their extra turn.
Or worse yet, you play him out, your opponent untaps and is able to damage you 3 times, and your Devil kills you instead.

I'll make something related to the thread theme at some point

as long as you control

Some classic red color hate

Derp. Will fix in my files.

I find I tend to use Efreet when I make a fatter red creature with one of red's trickier/subtler effects.

I don't have much Giant art, but I'm having fun using what I do have to make some with goofy abilities.

This would be more spicy if it triggered at the beginning of each upkeep instead, I think.

Bumping with more manticores

I honestly liked the old one more. It just needs to be readjusted a bit. Like I said, maybe 3GWU and 3/3.

bump

what the fuck

V
O
R
E
L

>T, Sacrifice ~: Draw a card for each charge counter on ~. This ability costs 1 more to activate for each charge counter on ~.

>howthreadsdie.jpg
and no, I will not hold your hands and be the "example". if you post a card give feedback on a card. if you don't want to, fuck off

>and no, I will not hold your hands and be the "example".
>Do as I say, not as I do.
No, you fuck off.

Your anger just proves my point. You refuse to improve. Enjoy your threads that take a week to fill as people decide it's not worth posting because nobody is doing anything but spamming cards. I guess it's too much to expect someone to take criticism who can't be arsed to give it.

Gonna print 4 armies off and see how they play with a mate tomorrow.

It's called bumping at 2AM you salty dipshit

I actually really like the balancing act here. It almost feel Black as well, philosophically, but the Glorious End on a Creature is beautiful. Maybe make it a first-striker instead?

Plunder the Thunder XUR
Sorcery
Create X colorless Bottled Lighting artifact tokens with "{U}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card." and "{R}, Sacrifice this artifact: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player."

So insurrection attached to a 5/5 flyer with haste. I hope whatever set you're making is meant to really up the ante on power level

Wanted to make a red Craterhoof Behemoth but you're right, it's super undercosted.

The costs in top right could use a drop shadow or border to help them pop more

I feel like this should only counter certain types of spells, because it's a very efficient lock and you can simply follow it with another copy.

Honestly insurrection is very overrated. Like to me it's the poster child of an overrated commander card. In other words I don't think it's very good. But I guess it's still pretty undercosted.

This is not uncommon. It also plays at odds with itself, since you want lots of creatures to make manifest worthwhile and noncreature spells to trigger it, but are greatly penalized for drawing creature cards.

Make the counter ability an activated ability. Just feels odd to want Unleash, but then make it hard to get the counters.

Ibwas wondering, do you think itd too crwzy yo do this the simple way snd lett his exipe w crrature with toughness, ssy, I guesss 3 or 4 or less (something red can easily reasonably kill) with the banisher priest text and then allow you to pay some mana to put in the grave for another amount of damage (probably equal to toughness of the yarded creature for aesthetic purposes)? I know red doesnt usually get that but its not too different from just deal 3 or 4 damage to kill something in function and its a random rare ao not expected to be a widespread mechanic, so I dont feel it undermines anything, and it makes it much easier to execute on the vision here.

Also, and ignoring typos, I have to say the flavor works a lot better for this than it did processors. Its stuck in your mouth so if you kill it you can come back, but if it swallows you youre dead and get put in the grave. Maybe itd make more sense as a buff than manifesting as a burn ability but eh. Now that green has this effect in tertiary iirc I want to make that card now.

Source of the art please?

Pretty sure this one is done. Static (not Static Shock, just Static) is a hero with electricity and magnetism powers. He flies around on a special metal disk, and shocks enemies with lightning. Pretty simple.

Seems good, but I'm not sure I'd put it at mythic.

Kinda neat how you used keywords that fit G and the other colors too. I think I'd actually make this an uncommon, since it's not like you can do much with it without pumping it with other cards. Most likely you'll have it wait in the back and take out a nasty creature attacking you.

Fucking with Islands like this is waaay too powerful. Might as well say "Opponents playing mono-Blue lose the game." Just give it Pro White and Pro Blue I guess. Otherwise, not very impressive. Goodstuff on top of goodstuff.

Seems like it could be interesting. Wondering if it should only swamp nonlegendaries.

Nice. I feel like the ability needs to be playtested to truly balance it out, but at 7 CMC you get to do powerful abilities. Though maybe attach a mana cost to the ability. At least one R, which you'd obviously use the sacced Mountain to pay for.

...Are there even Manticores on Mirrodin/New Phyrexia? I guess you could just retcon them in since Wizards seems to love that. Or just make it a Masticore with the same cost. (Hmm, I should see about making a Masticore.) Anyway, I really don't like how it deals damage to players on entry. Just feels like a cheap way to finish someone off if they already have 7 poison counters. But that might just be me.

Hmm, face reminds me of the Cheshire Cat from American McGee's Alice. Anyway, ability seems OK. Have to work a bit to get the counters on other creatures. Might be better to give it some higher toughness though, so it can actually get into combat and place those counters.

1/?

No idea which of these to follow up on. Impulse is a Speedster who specializes in creating "speed scouts" essentially temporary copies of himself created from the Speed Force. Thus, the tokens.

"can't" instead of "cannot." As for Coven, not much of a fan. Sorry.

Eh, guess it's fine.

Cool. An X-cost version of Mind Stone, Hedron Archive, and Dreamstone Hedron. Though I'd replace the C in the cost with 1, and maybe add an extra 1 to the sac ability. Oh, and I gave you better wording for the ability here Closest thing I can think of is Decree of Silence, which blocks three spells for 6UU. So maybe a double X-cost? But Decree also silenced and didn't give the spells back, so I'm not really sure.

Eh, just not really sure how I feel about this.

2/2

So... attach the Banish ability to the exile, but keep everything else? I guess that works. But the costs and the damage for the last ability are OK?

He did credit the artist. Start with that.

Any good?

I remember suggesting this make non legendsry bbc opies of himself. Was there some reason you didnt like that? You'd have to finagle p/t and/or mana cost but that seems to be the best execution of the idea to me. The only worry I can think of would be people thinking the ability will trigger on the tokens made. Maybe that is too weird and in that instance I think he should at least be making tokens with the same p/t as himself to convey a connection, which means either making tokens 2/2s or making him a 1/1. The first is closest to what I would do.

Also I think coven is actually a good ability (it probably being mostly on creatures and thus kind of working mostly by itself is an improvement over something like metalcraft which mostly didnt work by itself), but that particular card is a poor example of it I think. The ability is not super great to begin with (theyll just block with it immediately and unless you dont play strong creatures he'll die eventually), and it doesnt feel particularly related to coven (why would a card with this kind of ability trade itself off and potentially turn off your coven abilities?), I just think it was not a great execution. But its easy enough to see the good or at least normal execution.

I couldnt tell you if the costing and everything was right. 10 for 4 seems like a lot after also eating a permanent for 4 and getting a hasty 5/5 for 6 but whatever. I was imagining this more as ane etb trigger rather than activated ability but I guess there's no reason it cant be an activated abillity.

Turn your creatures into Quicksilver Elemental.

I guess I could have it make nonlegendary tokens. Which is something that's been suggested on a few other cards I made and just never did before because there was no precedence. But now the Ixalan Jace is out so I'm fine with it.

I mean, it is very weird to make a card that embodies that weird tapped and attacking doesnt trigger on attack abilities interaction so maybe just doing tokens that have the same p/t is a better execution. I dunno. I guess its up to you. But if you do just have him make normal tokens, I do 100% feel they should match his p/t so they at least feel like clones.

Oh, and I wouldnt worry about rules that make it so the tokens match his p/t with buffs like the second one. That seems unnecessarily convoluted to me. Just having the base tokens have the same p/t should be enough to convey it, I think.

Thanks for all the feedback! What don't you like about coven? Is it bad gameplay or just not your taste?

Huh... i did just realize this would be pretty complicated to track. I almost confused myself imagining have to pay attention to all these creatures types. Its the two types that does it. Caring about the race isnt too hard, especially since it tends to be visually apparent, but its gonna be tough tracking soldiers and warriors and wizards and clerics from different races. I think that might still be okay but youd have to be super careful with the rest of a set that you watch board complexity.

Oh, that didn't occur to me. I guess I figured it would be fun building decks that use the perfect combination of creatures to make the right covens.
I'll probably keep it down to mostly race types, then. Good thinking!

It might be tough to pull off flavorwise, but if you could manage to make most coven cards have just a race I think thatd be ideal, then keep creatures with race and class to something like a cycle at uncommon and maybe rare or mythics with 3 types.

It also makes this guy feel more special :)

Exactly the kind of card that shouldnt be even near common in a set with coven desu.

Should be target opponent, or you could just target yourself and rummage. Not sure on the ability itself. Is instant-speed Treason worth drawing a card?

Thoughts?

I'm so glad WotC will never print a female succubus card.

Seems OK since you have little choice over what gets tutored. Could be wrong though.

Why?

Had some ideas.

>As ~ enters the battlefield, choose two nonlegendary card names that share a card type.
>Each permanent you control with either name has both names. The same is true for spells you control and cards you own that aren't on the battlefield.

>As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature card name.
>T: Target creature you control with the same mana cost as the named card becomes a copy of the named card until end of turn.

bump

Because I don't like the trope and I don't appreciate company of people who do, simple.
I like the ability of that card though.

How is a succubus a trope? That's like saying elf is a trope.

>How is a succubus a trope?
is this bait?

First one is a lot of busy work for little gain. Second needs oracle open when playing and acts as an unlimited wishboard.

This is not that much more interesting than Ogre Geargrabber. Perhaps even less as the latter has simplicity going for it.

Here's my shitty Clash variant keyword action. Tell me if you can actually understand how it works with this short reminder text.

The font is too small and pixelised. I can't read it.

I'd word it as such:
>Starting with you, each player may exile a card from the top of his or her library. Repeat this process until a player doesn't exile a card. The player that exiled the card with the highest converted mana cost wins the struggle.

I think it's a bit more clear, if unfortunately more wordy as a result. It's a funky mechanic to be sure. I'm on the fence how I feel about it. The thing about Clash was it didn't cost you a card. I dunno that this would play any better.

Seriously? Balaskas.

Jesus, can't believe I forgot about that card.

The problem is that's not how it's suppose to work. It's suppose to be
>first player exiles the top card of their library
>another person "contests" the struggle by exiling until they hit a higher CMC card than anything that's been exiled so far
>everyone gets a chance to contest again
>this keeps going back and forward until nobody does so and the winner is decided

Worse than Clash because it doesn't fix the problem with randomness, and exiles the card making it nearly impossible to get back.

Nice.

>may
No it does't. If a player decides not to do it, the remaining players that did compare cards and the victor is determined. It keeps going as long as everyone does it. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

>red giving flying
Eeehh... not really feeling that.

Please don't use explore. It's a terrible mechanic.

Thank you, user.

Not him, but I didn't get that from the reminder text at all. I thought everyone exiled at the same time, because you didn't say
>Starting with you

Thought it fit nicely with Landfall. Otherwise I usually don't fiddle with it.

Please don't listen to

Kek. I make whatever cards I want to make; don't worry.

Because that would make the reminder text too long. The second sentence in the reminder text attempts to imply a turn order to it without making the text too long. Maybe I could do something like
>Players may take turns exiling cards from the top of their libraries until they exile a card with the highest converted mana cost. The last player to do so wins.

I expected Treasure or Gold tokens.

I really wish they made a keyword for making Treasures, like investigate.

Yeah I think "Land Grab" or something would make more sense as a name here; I'm with on this.

The reason why investigate was a keyword action is because there was a different keyword action before it in development with the name and the mechanic part got replaced.

How about this? Card's not mine, but by... I don't know what to call him. Pirate user Jr.? Plunder user?