rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
Veeky Forums.org/tg/thread/58217735

OP Question: DMs how "deep" do you get into your world building. Players, do you care?

You fucked up the previously link.
delete and try again

Just enough to have an idea of what is happening around the players, that way I can figure out how what they do can change this over time.

>DMs how "deep" do you get into your world building
Pretty deep, but I usually keep most of it to myself.

I might find it fun, but I'm not gonna force players to listen to paragraphs of setting details. I'll tell them the short version of info they need, let them make shit up and steal the cool bits for my own revision, etc.

Or someone can just do this
>Previously, on /5eg/

Link works fine for me. Get Veeky Forums X. Not worth a delete either way.

I do care. It doesn't have to be original or groundbreaking, but I like to have context for things. That said, I also don't want to be a non-factor in a novel.

>giving this shithole money
>ever

Veeky Forums X isn't a Veeky Forums pass.

I session-build, not world-build.

Meaning for example if it's the first session of a new campaign, all I've got prepped is the starting town and (if applicable) introductory encounter, a few adventure hooks, some encounter locations in the vicinity, and maybe the name of the kingdom/nation/empire/whatever the PC's are in, but I'll know NOTHING about that place until (if ever) it becomes relevant to the PCs and their story.

Is it okay to fluff a Tiefling as a Fey’ari? What about a Tannarukk?

We knocked him out, killed the zombies, stripped him naked, ripped out and destroyed all the pages of his spellbook while trying to make it look like it was the Black Spider who sent us, and then proceeded to steal all his shit of value and then burn his clothes. It was really funny. The dragon we actually spoke to thanks to our bard, but the DM didn't want to have him just leave despite the persuasion check being really fucking high, so we basically pussied out because no way in hell were we going to kill a dragon at level 3. We considered it but decided that we'd probably get TPK'd.

As DM, so far not a lot. Have only run one (long) campaign in the Forgotten Realms, so I use their lore.

As a player, I usually care enough to ask about anything that could influence my backstory and/or past knowledge.

>How is the arcane archer?

>DM
I just use Faerûn and official outer planes. Or Tamriel and the various realms of Oblivion and Aetherius

>Player
If it’s homebrew setting I try to be polite and take an interest, but I’m not gonna memorize your lore and shit for just one game that could last one session to a few months

As long as they give NPCs some flair everything works out gravy for me (as a player). I'm also a massive memelord so references and shit are an instant +1 from me.

anyone have any cool PVP stories they'd like to share?

I want to try and encourage some PVP conflict within the party next game I play

Wow, a shit DM and a shit player, you think maybe video games are more your thing?

Lots of options but two shots before needing a short rest is kinda lame. You're still a fighter though so it's still solid.

I've only done PVP a couple times. I wouldn't recommend it unless your players are *very* mature about it.

>Nope.jpg

Tempted to take a 3 level Fey lock dip for pact of blade to summon a bow with eldritch smite. Also for more versatility. He is a Eladrin.

>D&D
>PvP

Like eating soup with chopsticks.

>anyone have any cool PVP stories they'd like to share?
Unless you are 12 and a turbo edgelord, none of them are cool.

Done it too many times when I was younger, never works out. Find a system designed for it, because DnD is not.

Ramen is just soup, people eat that with chopsticks. Checkmate atheists.

It's alright. People really underestimate Curving Shot. Without that, they'd probably be more of a boring BM knockoff.

you need 5 levels in warlock for eldritch smite

Lmao Fuck you bitch boy

My friends and I sometimes do 3v3 fights where we control 3 PCs each. It’s pretty fun when we design the arena with hazards

The 'bad experience from PVP' flag is a pretty rough one in the VN of life.

Third round of ideas, /5eg/. (As I only got one two threads ago)

So my party has a plot McGuffin safely stowed away in a Demiplane behind a powerful King's throne that the bad guys have no idea about. The bad guys need this McGuffin to complete their goal of summoning the Archdevil Beelzebub to the Material Plane (They have 2 of the 3 McGuffins). What would be some actions that the bad guys could take to get the McGuffin in their possession?

They have a few people who can teleport using plane shift or teleportation circle (They know of one teleportation circle into the city where the king is located.), but they don't have the Demiplane spell or knowledge of that Demiplane. They have some demons, an Ice Devil, and a locust swarm with a set of lesser devils that can record information and play it back for them. The BBEG is CR 23 & has a 14th level Rogue/Paladin and 14th level Rogue/Sorcerer working with him. They are also very persuasive and can usually manipulate weaker/evil folks to do stuff for them, but normally the stronger and smarter folks don't. Any ideas as to how they could gain the knowledge necessary about the demiplane and fight to get the McGuffin?

Important note, the party is extremely hush-hush about the location of the McGuffin and does not even discuss it amongst themselves out of fear that any of the villans subordinates could be lurking around or someone who could use that information for nefarious purposes is nearby.

I'll be straight with you. An intra-party kill can, in a story where it plays out well and has purpose in the setting, be a great element for cementing the characters in the story. A PC killing off another one with the right mood, setting, and serious tone can make an otherwise mundane campaign turn more exciting in a single instant.

But if you have a sore loser in your party, even one who isn't involved in the combat, you're gonna have a bad time.

Toss a nothic at them. All they have to do is fail a deception check and the nothic can run back to the Big Bad Evil Guy and he will know where it is.

Make it so the villains have to use a work-around to bypass the third McGuffin.

They could either get the McGuffin OR they could search out the MacGuffin, which comes at a higher price.

Or perhaps the villain has to consult Mister Guffin himself, the one behind the McGuffin and MacGuffin.

Does anyone have some online alternatives to roll20?
Looking to transfer my group to online play because some of them are moving away soon.

>I want to encourage
That's where you've already fucked up m80, you don't encourage this kind of stuff because it's blatantly obvious and just leads to people calling you out on it. This train of thought is how you end up as a That Guy story on Veeky Forums.

Have them keep trying to find the McGuffin with the ways they have still their disposal. However if the players have ensured it's safe through a clever use of spells, not talking about it and such then let them have that victory.

I'm not the DM. I'd be a bad guy playing on the heroes party for various reasons or another.

That OP pic is quite similar to the kind they have at /pgg/

It approaches, but it isn't pedo enough for /pfg/ so we're tolerating it.

And yet we're allowing it despite it's obviously anime?

Yeah I figured as much and the point still stands, at most learn how to play Lawful Evil correctly and let someone else be the jackass. Anytime you set out with the idea of "I want to actively create a PvP situation" by intentionally trying to goad the party is the moment you've just become the ass. Be subtle, be crafty, never go overboard or over the top and let things happen naturally.

So did the Revised Ranger make it into XGtE?

How so, I'm genuinely curious as to the reasoning behind that claim.

Trust me, I have tried. Even with mature players I thought could handle it.

But the thing is, DnD is not designed for this. It won't work. There are builds which just completely screw over any kind of fun, and you can stumble into then by accident.

Find another system. Seriously.

Hahahahaha no, we'll be lucky if they actually release it.

Wow... that is actually kind of possible right now. Feels a bit cheeky though.

So I have considered this, a lot, but it feels kinda cheap from a narrative point to just say. "Hey, guys remember how you figured out the Cult needed the 3 artifacts to do their crazy ritual thing? Turns out there was an alternative!" To be fair it is some really ancient magic, but I feel like I would be cheating out my players for the sake of the antagonist getting what they want.

They know the party has it hidden somewhere, as they stole it directly from the BBEG's hands in front of him. They don't know where they hid it is all & how to get it when they get that information.

>however if the players have ensured it's safe through a clever use of spells,
Technically they went to the king of the city and was like "You got somewhere safe to put this devil spear?" and the safest spot was behind a throne that leads to a small demiplane that holds the King's most important belongings.

> let them have that victory.
I really want them to have that, but I can't have the bad guys not try and get it back with some plan that makes sense and has a chance at working. They are alive and breathing so they don't have a reason to give up.

I see you lack creativity in more than just worldbuilding.

Damn.
I mean I could print the Adventure League legal one but when it's in the book it raises so much less questions and attempts at other thigs

It's not. You're probably replying to some salty faggot falseflagger.

Why would a ghostwise halfling be born to a lightfoot halfling?

>Falseflagger

Well then it's not very hidden just well guarded, unless they made sure to only approach him when he was 100% alone someone was around. Who knows what might cause someone to take a nice pay day or be forced to spill that info. If it were me and I had no clue as to where someone hid a very important item, I'd force them to bring it to me or slip up somehow. Start having the bad guys pull off terrorist attacks targeting as many civilians as possible, making it abundantly clear what you want and who has the power to stop it. Grab important figures of state and hold them hostage for the item you want. Go about forcing the heros to make the choice, do they hand it over to save people or do they sit and watch as you kill people and slowly turn the population against them.

Does the party have any loved ones? If so, the bad guys could kidnap a few of them and demand the McGuffin for their safe return.

If push comes to shove and the BBEG is forced to conduct the ritual without the 3 pieces, then you could say that Beelzebub is still summoned, however weaker than he'd be otherwise.

As a piece of advice NEVER have the antagonists plans rely on a single thing, they have to have alternatives. Like in Tyranny of Dragons the Cult really wants to have all five dragon masks to summon Tiamat, but they can still go through with the ritual even if the party managed to steal one or more of them.

Supposed to reply to

I'm not getting Hit Dice, I don't think. So to determine your starting Hit Points, you roll whatever die that's determined by your class, then add your Constitution modifier to the result? Then you have a number of hit dice determined by your level, and when you do a short rest you can roll them and add your modifier to get hp back? And a long rest gives you back half of your hit dice.

I love how in the module, you can turn a CR 30 god into a CR18 monster.

Or you could take average plus con on level ups

Any DM worth their salt is willing to work with players on using it, the only issue is when players start trying to pull dip bullshit due to how front loaded it is. Then again that is pretty much every class in 5e.

Starting hitpoints is the maximum roll of your hitdie+ CON

Every other level you either roll and add CON, or you half the maximum value and add 1, then add your CON.

You have a number of hitdie equal to your level (You can have multiple types if you're multiclassed, such as having 3d10+5d6 if you're a fighter3/wizard5).
During a short rest you can expend as many as you want, rolling and healing for the number rolled + CON. You can roll them one at a time and decide to stop whenever you want.
After a long rest you get half of your hit die back (minimum 1)

2nd level paladin here.
what spells should I pick?

Say that you're a fighter, so your hit dice is a d10. At level 1, you have HP equal to 10 (the max for your HD) + your Con mod.
At level 5, you have 10 + 4d10 + 5*Con mod. Or, if you take the average instead of rolling, 10 + 4*6 + 5*Con mod.
The bit about short and long rests is correct.

Whats not to get

Whatever
best suits
your character
concept.

I'm running a melee Warlock (Bladelock, which DM has allowed all blade pacts to have medium armor/shields and CHA for hit/damage) with GWM. Is it a good idea to keep Hex, or should I just use some other concentration spell instead?

>DMs how "deep" do you get into your world building.
Reasonably deep. I have a general sketching out of most things, with more information on where the PCs are, but I like to leave enough room to move about if I need to change it up on the fly.

>Players, do you care?
As a rule, not until/unless the campaign is established. If it's just going to be a one-shot, I won't go beyond the basics.

What a great non-answer
Compelled Duel
Divine Favor if you're using PAM
Shield of Faith is good for tanking
Command can be useful control

With GWM, Darkness + Devils Sight is a great strategy, since you get advantage against creatures that can't see you, they have disadvantage hitting you if they can't see you, and you get free disengage if they can't see you.

How deep? I'm writing a small book filled with mythology about the pantheon in my setting and also filling it out with stories of notable figures. Think of something along the lines of Silmarillion.

My players love deep settings though. I sent out a 60 page Word document that detailed the setting, its continents, organizations and such and every single player read through it before our first session. And that was two years ago when I first joined this group.

As a player, I love deep settings with lore to draw on when building a character. My gf does the same thing as me for her campaign setting that she uses for the two campaigns she runs.

what's your race and overall paladin theme friend?

I personally refuse to do darkness cheese, especially since I've had several instances of other players doing it and dicking the party over something fierce.

Should I run princes of the apocalypse? I want to try running something once my group finishes ToA

don't pick any concentrations spells that will interfere with your smiting.

half elf.
planing on going oath of the ancients.
sword and board.

>Not even the GM
>Just a faggot who wants to kill his fellow players and likely plans on using a cheese build to be super effective at fucking his teammates

Just don't cover the players with it.

>Who knows what might cause someone to take a nice pay day or be forced to spill that info.
Hmmm the King/Lord has a Paladin who is dedicated to him and will die before giving that information out. There are a few guards who saw this happen, and I could imagine them getting tortured to a point where they would spill the beans.

> Start having the bad guys pull off terrorist attacks targeting as many civilians as possible, making it abundantly clear what you want and who has the power to stop it. Grab important figures of state and hold them hostage for the item you want. Go about forcing the heros to make the choice, do they hand it over to save people or do they sit and watch as you kill people and slowly turn the population against them.
I like this, they could start by taking the parties magic item dealers (In the Merchants Quarters) as the teleportation circle leads to their shop. Then through disguising themselves, they could start attacking locations branching out from there. I could even take one of the PC's girlfriends for ransom when the party comes back from PC backstory land.

I think I'll do this with the Nothic idea. Good one user.

>Does the party have any loved ones? If so, the bad guys could kidnap a few of them and demand the McGuffin for their safe return.

Doing this.

>If push comes to shove and the BBEG is forced to conduct the ritual without the 3 pieces, then you could say that Beelzebub is still summoned, however weaker than he'd be otherwise.

I'll do this (If the above does not work out). Also, I'll say if Beelzebub is brought back in this weaker state and gets the 3rd Artifact he will return to his full power. Sound reasonable?

>As a piece of advice NEVER have the antagonists plans rely on a single thing, they have to have alternatives.

Noted heavily.

>Smiting
>Concentration
Fucking what?
Why waste a spell slot on a shitty smite spell instead of actually smiting and still having a concentration spell up?

Dang you caught me, my entire goal in life is to make everyone else miserable. How did you know?

It depends on how you're playing your paladin and what type of paladin you're playing. Given you posted a Green Knight, I'll assume Ancients.

Command: Useful in combat and out of combat
Compelled Duel: Can be useful to initiate combat but only really good for forcing an opponent to target you.
Protection (Evil/Good): Concentration makes this less useful but with Warcaster, you should be fine to maintain it.
Searing Smite
Thunderous Smite
Wrathful Smite

The Smites are self-explanatory. Keep in mind that most of your spell slot usage will be your Divine Smites, not spells.

Personally I've ran PotA and everyone including me was bored out of their minds after like 8-9 sessions. It starts out good but the entire campaign is one big dungeon which is almost exclusively combat. It gets old.

Sounds good. Thanks.

>badwrong fun
You think playing alone is more your thing?

It's a tad difficult not to when there's a tendency for cramped spaces. And also them also trying to attack the same guys I'm wailing on.

knock the opponent down and lay into them with advantage next hit.

Didn't you read what I said?
You get a free disengage, just get in range, hit them, then back away.

Have the the Veeky Forums character sheets been updated beyond 1.5 to include XGE subclasses?
The mediafire link is from 2016.

And why does the pastebin have warhammer rpg links in it?

Also, Shield of Faith might be worth taking depending on your party composition. If you've got a cleric, have them cast it on you rather than taking it yourself.

Please remember Mearls remade Warlord as a cleric domain yesterday! sorry about the image resolution I had to rip it from a stream ;-;

>Have to worship a god to be a warlock
Mearls is such a fucking fag.

Face it, warlord can't be done with just a subclass.

I prefer playing more balls to the wall, and this character is more the sort who would want to be seen, in the flashy way.
Ultimately it's just a matter of personal preference making me not wanna pick Darkness.

Quick question about a Nothic. If this thing was hidden from a person and used Weird Insight does the PC roll the deception check even though they don't know its there? Or would I roll that?

>It doesn't even get martial weapons

Its more because mechanical overlap. Clerics don't need to be god worshippers, as divine powers can come from ideals too (see eberron, paladins)
Its the same reasoning as Shadar Kai now being elves without changing the flavor at all. Its easier to just use what exists so shit like Mystic and Artificer won't prevent the character idea form happening for *literal years* before becoming officially available.

Good luck user, and be sure to let your players win if they're really lucky/smart.

I'm actually running Tyranny of Dragons at the moment and the party has taken one of the dragon masks for themselves. Next session they will probably be ambushed by the bad guys in a really deadly encounter. I'm obsessing over the details to make sure I've got everything in order. The bad guys will employ extraplanar creatures, which means dying isn't too big of an issue to them and they will fight nastily. I hope my players won't be too stressed when the enemies start swinging at dying PCs.

>DMs how "deep" do you get into your world building.

Typically, I build the world and characters I need for the bigger arc I need, then build some side quests and adventures that can be used in any session in case my adventurers wander off and do something unplanned. A good way to generate such events, cool NPCs, and city maps/layouts is "Vornheim: The Complete City Kit". Its a really useful book so I recommend picking it up if you can/need new NPC/Cities often.

I have a list of NPCs and their overall goals. I advance their goals if they are ignored/helped by the players. If I am doing a long campaign that I have been at for a long time and have a lot of nations/interests etc involved I use a mechanic from "Stars without Number" that allows them to buy assets, grow, attack other factions, etc between sessions, which really helps the world feel more alive and constantly in motion without you having to put that much work into it as a GM. For example, I know what the overall goal of some crime syndicate is, what the goal of a religious institution is, and what the goal of the state is, and can with a few rolls determine how the power struggle ends up, what assets are acquired, and how the balance shifts over time without needing to write the story myself for every big nation and location my adventurers have passed though. Converting the table and systems from a space game to a fantasy setting took a bit of time but it was worth it overall.

Keep in mind this is all from the perspective of a GM with a group who rarely sticks to any main plot or rails and constantly needs to throw new stuff at them as they wander off in random directions, so it might not be as useful for someone whose group tends to act in a more structured fashion.

Shadar-kai made at least some sense, what with being fey in 3e.

If warlord is an archetype of a class, it should be fighter or paladin really.

...god fucking dammit mearls.

Unless you cheese, a bladelock is inferior to an eldritch blaster in every way.