Why doesn't Veeky Forums allow firearms in their setting?

Why doesn't Veeky Forums allow firearms in their setting?

Do people actually enjoy these threads?

>look mom, i posted it again!

I do, but I don't make 25 posts about it in a single week

kill yourself

>I'm the only archer among 60 men a good number of them armed guns.

Veeky Forums is not a single person

Because there were too many school shootings and the public demanded they be banned.

They lend too much power to unskilled individuals

>shooting a gun doesn't take skill
look at the faggot who's never shot a gun

It doesn't take anywhere near as much skill to be competant. I've dropped deer at 100+ yards without magnification, and I'm not close to an expert marksman. Admittedly, that's with a modern gun, but even if we said more primitive firearms were only particularly accurate out to 20 yards, which would be an exageration, that's still an enormous advantage.

Because gunpowder doesn't work anymore.

They are still figuring out crude pottery, leather working and how to polish rocks to make better spearheads user.

Because I play DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, not GUNS AND PILLBOXES. If I want guns, I'll play a system designed for gun combat. But until Mearls makes an actually competent rule system when he's not shitting out Wilderness rules, I'm going to exclude guns as I see fit.

It doesn't take anywhere near as much skill to be competent. I've dropped deer at 100+ yards without magnification, and I'm not close to an expert marksman. Admittedly, that's with a polymer compound bow, but even if we said more primitive shortbows were only particularly accurate out to 20 yards, which would be an exaggeration, that's still an enormous advantage. That's why I only allow slingers.

why are you sucking dicks OP?

Guns shouldn't be all different from a buffed crossbow. There's nothing magical about guns.

>he doesn't know about magical guns

Why do have these when there's nothing medieval about them? It's a 100% early modern weapon when guns were around.

I've got bad news, homie. Those swords are early modern, too, and so is your fighter's heavy armor.

I'm not!!!

I allow them, just they aren't as practical as bows are for adventuring. For defending a fort? Can't be beat. But if they need to be mobile, taking a turn to reload isn't good.

Firearms are boring.

LOOK MA! I'm reposting it with my pinkie! XD
>and next with my winkie

Newfag

Because Veeky Forums doesn't run games.

>Because Veeky Forums doesn't run games.
Sure we do

What's the point of these threads?
>Ask obvious question
>Receive reasonable answers
>lololol i troll u (?)

Fuck off.

Just stop already

>Oxidation doesn't work in his setting
I mean... are you running a game about the adventures of non-anaerobic organisms or something?

Seriously, I never understood this type of justification. If you don't want something in your setting, don't look for bullshit excuses. Because as long as even most basic rules of physics apply to your setting (so it's not ultra-magic nor toon), there is no fucking way for "gunpowder not working"

yes.

Ruins the aesthetic

we do. NEXT!

>why doesn't Veeky Forums
Sage.

>these threads are just autists mad that fiction is not enough like reality

How are the guns in 5e incompetent? They look like they're just ranged weapons with some annoying reloads.

Buffed crossbow with potentially less accuracy and impossible to stealth with.

You're shooting deer. Try shooting someone that's trying to kill you.

What’s so fun about shooting once and reloading for a minute?

Early firearms are for mass combat. Most RPGs focus on small-scale skirmishes.

>He doesnt want to use a ribauldequin.

Tension.

I'm playing a retroclone and retroclones don't do shooting good. I cbf to fix them specifically just to allow guns so I play RAW without firearms.

>if gunpowder doesn't work then all oxidation doesn't work
>rules of chemistry need apply to fantasy settings
what's it like being retarded

>you can't skirmish with an arquebus

You might not be, but you do know that these threads are 10 a penny and you know how tg likes bait.

I think that's what he's trying to say, just in terrible English.

Different user, but why don't you tell us how it is?
There is but a handful of situations where "it's fantasy, so chemistry doesn't work" apply. Most common would be the fact that the universe runs on elements as Greeks understood them, so you essentially don't have atoms and shit like that, but instead four basic ingredients that just mix in the right proportions to give end effect.
Or lolsrandom bullshit in tune of magic fairies being the basic unit in physics and they hold their hands together to create matter.
But if your setting doesn't have stuff like that going, then rules of chemistry do apply. And if gunpowder doesn't work, then the only explaination possible is that either oxidation is not possible in your setting (which means nobody breaths and there is no such thing as fire, since those are also oxidation) OR you are a complete fucking retard

>physical laws of a fantasy setting need to be explained down to the atom
>real-world rules of chemistry are the only possible rules of chemistry for a fantasy setting

It's like being you - a broken record moron that just doesn't understand if A happens, then A always happens.
It's that fucking simple. You literally CAN NOT "disable" this or that substance from "working" just because you say "it's fantasy". Either you disable them all or none, or you provide an explaination why it doesn't apply at all.
Neither of which you are capable off, being busy BUMPING THIS FUCKING THREAD.

At least fucking learn to sage, you drooling moron.

>fictional rules of chemistry in a fantasy setting must have breathing, fire, and gunpowder operate on the same chemical principle

My DM is great but he got rid of AC bonus from armor and shields and made it extra effective HP, weapon finesse grants damage and to hit bonus via Dex. If you aren't a one hit caster using AOE to nuke around corners you're a Dex based fighter or gunner wearing the best armor your dex mod allows. Also everyone has the ability to move, attack, and move again so hit and run gunning is rampant.

That's why I like them. Makes the PCs think because they can get fucked if they do anything remotely stupid.

Tje "training" spoken off in regards to bows refers to the fitness and raw strength needed to pull a warbow: accuracy-wise most ranged weapons require similar levels of hand-eye coordination.

Bows should really be str based in d&d type systems.

You am play cavemen game? What rock number. Me am like 3 and half-one Rock of Caves and Sabertooths

Bows are harder because because you can't really aim it as you could a crossbow or a gun since unlike in movies or TV you can't really "draw, then hold and aim" with bow of at least decent draw strength.

Whats Veeky Forumss feelings on firearms that shoot magic, like one use staves that are fired and dropped and more complex weapons that can load different ammo. The weapons are cumbersome and the ammo is not plentiful so they arent be mass issued, the weapons are also large and unwieldy, but destructive, its basically a non magic user in the role of a caster.

Wondering if there is even a point to having this or just drop it entirely, theyre basically an advanced crossbow.

I personally like the idea of a "fire spitter" or "thunder lance" Magical items that act sorta like guns

I do. They take 10-20 full rounds to reload through... unless you have prestidigitation, than it is 5 rounds.

Why the apron?

Lead cooks.

Motherfucker.

>"Get fried, Turks!"
>"Mattias, that wasn't even remotely funny"
>"Listen here Sven, I bought the apron and committed to this joke. Either laugh with me or stand in front of my next barrage"

Firearms would allow the peasants to defend themselves, which would eliminate the need for adventurers.

The idea was there was amber inside branches from different trees that give different results, and these branches would be fashioned into spears and staves that you fire and forget. The smaller staves could be attached to a device that stops the staff from being spent after a single use, the issue is that you are carrying around large sticks for ammo and the weapon has to be deployed to fire since its so heavy, so it works as an area denial weapon or mid range canon and isnt mobile.

Not sure if its worth it or just stick with the staves, theyre suppose to be a disposable ranged option.

Fuck

Sage and move on.

>it's impossible to defend yourself without a firearm

Is gunsXdnd the current russposting?

This is complete bullshit. Almost nobody bow hunts past 60 yards. Olympic archery maxes out at 90 meters, on a circular target over a meter wide. And that's with modern equipment and the best archers on earth, firing from a static position to a static target.

this isnt rigorous in the slightest
but in a bow vs handgun contest in an open field
both weapons had a lot of difficulty hitting a melon sized target
magnum could not hit 100m at all out of 3 rounds
bow only hit melon at 100m as a complete fluke

it was a quick and dirty contest between enthusiasts, and not the definitive word on the subject but fun to see

I was assuming rifle vs bow. Clearly a pistol, even a modern pistol, is going to be largely ineffective past 20 or 30 yards at most. But even then, it's still dramatically better than say, a mundane crossbow, as it is lighter, concealable, easier to aim, has greater energy and penetration

in a humorous ending
he used a scoped civilian ar-15 from prone position to easily hit the melon
so at least modern rifles hit a melon at 100m easily

Tanks = Giant handheld bowguns > fusils > non-laser sci-fi guns > crossbows > modern firearms > laser guns

Original user here. The justification is that the gods of fire are dead, and so gunpowder is just highly flammable, not explosive. Things can still be set on fire and shit, but it's a pale reflection of the true fire the world once had. So yeah, fantasy physics. Gravity, torque, fluid dynamics, and all that shit still work, it's just that chemistry's been a bit sabotaged. Goblin shit has a tendency to explode when lit on fire, but they're from another dimension so...that's not happening.

What would be a non-bullshit excuse?

Did guns belong in this setting, Veeky Forums?

Because I don't like them.

It wouldn't make sense because explosives aren't something that could be made in the setting.

But I do. I even put them in places they're not really supposed to be. Pic related, I'm adding them to my Brets because they look cool.

Because they are lame.

Im so glad I'm not this autistic. what if a pissed off god (lets call him... GM) doesn't want gunpowder to work?

>guy accidental discovers gunpowder, hut explodes after he tries experimenting
>guy recreates invention, ship sinks before it reaches the king
>someone invents it a third time, he thinks its useless failure, and continues to work on his penis enlargement formula
>1000 years pass, still no gunpowder

>continues to work on his penis enlargement formula
>1000 years pass
But did it work?

he died of heart break after finding out your penis doubles in size but can no longer get hard
even magic cannot get it up

he was the first test subject

yet another brave man who died in the name of science.
F

They are in my 5E game, there's rules in the DMG for them.

A musket costs 500 GP, deals 1d12 piercing damage, has a range of 40/120 and is a loading, two handed weapon. Meaning you only get one shot per round with it no matter how many bonus attacks you get.

The problem is that when you give a gunfag an inch they take a mile. Suddenly that isn't good enough for them. They end up wanting to be able to carry a fucking minigun like duke nukem.

Guns require more training to operate than a bow - especially early muskets. Modern guns are simpler, but even then you need to know about safeties, how to clear a jam, not to mention needing a lot of practice to actually hit anything.

D&D is a medieval or late renaissance fantasy setting. Both of those periods had guns. The DMG in 3.5 and 5e have rules for guns so saying you play D&D isn't really an excuse for not including firearms.

They're less boring than bows and crossbows - there's more going on, explosions, smoke, powder, lengthy reloading drills and less accuracy - more options for things going wrong.

Yep, its people who appreciate history vs people who don't. Neither side has any incentive to take the other seriously.

I prefer magically enhanced guns. Cast magic weapon on the musket balls, or on the gun itself, cast spells for better accuracy, that kind of thing. Firearms are also a good backup for a caster - if they run out of spells they can revert to their gun.

Most peasants can't afford early firearms - the same way they can't afford plate armor or a good crossbow and silver bolts.

Anyone who wants to see what guns should look like in a fantasy setting should watch Alatriste or The Last Valley, or read anything about the Thirty Years War

So homosexual...

>Most peasants can't afford early firearms
Daily reminder that early firearms were the cheapest weapon imaginable: four times cheaper than crossbow, twice as cheap as a longsword and still cheaper than even stuff like messer, which were well-known for being cheap.
So congrats into being retard replying to 7 different posts. I guess you really need to show everyone your opinions.

But what if i make it so nobody breathes and fire doesn't exist? That would be okay for you?

Last time I've checked, it was considerably easier and safer to shoot a bear with a high-caliber rifle than trying to murder it with, say, spears.

>Guns require more training to operate than a bow - especially early muskets
No, this is wrong. You could train a man to use a gun in formation in a couple weeks or less, bows required a lifetime of training.

So many opinions and ALL of them wrong. Jesus, it's not even bait at this point, that's 100% pure stupidity

>After the great wars of the past it is said the gods forbad the creation of what our ancestors called "Black powder" which fueled their monstrous weapons of destruction that nearly destroyed the entire world. Since then many have tried to recreate it, but none have succeeded. There was one time when even a perfectly intact blueprint and manual was found inside an excevated weapons factory. And yet not even the greatest engineers of that time could make the machines work.

G O D S
O
D
S

But I do, almost always since I like to use Renaissance-era technology.

>appreciate history vs people who don't
Yeah because you need your fictional world to be historically accurate too appreciate history

>YOU CAN'T HAVE BREECHLOADING GUNS IN FANT-

14th century says otherwise.

Pic related, 1338 breechloading man-portable gun.

This is the hundreth time we've had this thread. It's been done to death. You're just here for (You)s.

Is this Veeky Forums's sneedposting?

>effective range: n/a