/bgg/ Board Game General

/bgg/ Board Game General

Previous Thread
>Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

>Pastebin
pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Which franchise/license would you very much like to see realized and well executed in board game form?

Which game would you say is completely overrated/underrated?

Tell us about your most recent purchase or play session.

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2018/01/05/mantic-games-hellboy-game-kickstarter/
youtube.com/watch?v=4dtNSyjyPgs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What franchise/license
none, more original settings plz
>Overrated
anything by Eric M. Lang (I understand this isn't true here, but it is in general)
>Underrated
Theseus: The Dark Orbit
Imperial
>Recent sessions
Been playing a fair amount of 18XX recently. Favorite is probably still 1830. I love me some stock-based 18XX and I like the map.

>Which franchise/license would you very much like to see realized and well executed in board game form?
none. like , less rehash more original

>Which game would you say is completely overrated/underrated?
Photosynthesis is overrated.
Fairy Tale is underrated.

>Tell us about your most recent purchase or play session.
Game night Monday had weird table breaks, wound up playing Climate with 3p while the next table played Afrika with 3p. I should have just jumped on Afrika but I've really been trying to get Climate! on the table. It was rough and MPS because carnivores were much tougher to have. The game is way tighter than I expected too, considering Evolution: the Beginning is a poop and card salad.

After that broke out Nefarious and as I was about to teach a new guy came in, said he played chess and wanted to check out our club. I should have just put Nefarious down and gotten out Spice Road or anything else because the dude was literally glazed over.

Now the way I teach Nefarious is we do 3-5 practice rounds then reset and whip out the twist cards. It's quick and it's much easier than trying to explain the espionage income. After the usual rounds the newb was completely lost, but he insisted we play one more round. We went one more round like this, with him claiming he almost had it until we just said fuck it and played out the untwisted game. It was boring as hell and I felt bad because the guy was deer-inna-headlights until literally the last two rounds.

It was a messed up night and not much fun at all.

I’ve been interested in trying Theseus, how does it fare as a 2 player? Can you develop an unbeatable lead early on or does it stay competitive?

Ev:Begin always looked fun to me as someone who's played Climate. What sucks about it? I've thought about picking it up when it's on sale at Target. I don't own climate but have played many times as it's one of my friends' favorite games.

>Which franchise/license would you very much like to see realized and well executed in board game form?
A hellboy/BPRD game done in the style of XCOM.

>purchase
Cosmic Encounter and Fairy Tale
After reading the rules and looking at the pieces, I can't fucking wait to sit down and play a few matches of Cosmic Encounter. I like the presentation, and it looks relatively quick to play.

Fairy Tale lived up to its /bgg/ hype, so, glad I picked it up! Thanks guys!

Nothing sucks about it. Evo: the beginning is a group favorite. It's light, fast and the poop bags are twice as big as the ones in climate! with good reason. It's worked great as a intro game or more advanced. Usually wind up playing it back to back because people generally want another bite at the apple.

Definitely pick it up- you will have to unlearn a few things coming from climate (or vice versa) but both are going back with me to game nights in the future.

I want somebody to make my idea for a co-op game where you play The Daltons from Lucky Luke, and pay me some money for it. Not all the money, just some.
Over? Exploding Kittens. Under? Word Whimsy.
I played a few cubepushers weekend before last. I've been meaning to invite people round to play something thematic, like Evil Intent or Tales of The Arabian Nights.

Something like Conan or Level 7 [Omega Protocol] or that new Batman game but set in either the Terminator or Aliens universe.

So I hate to be That Guy /bgg/ but I recently had a good idea for a game and I don't know what to do. It would be sort of a clank race but with a different theme.

Would making a deckbuilder/maprace similiar to clank/clank in space be too copycat? The end product would be more of an obstacle course than a foot race, but you would still need to move and path to avoid/encounter things and approach a goal.

Like I said, I hate that guy who comes and is like "I have an idea what do" but I have this idea, what do?

>Conan
um...

Who rates Exploding Kittens highly that you'd say it's overrated? Granted it made a ton of money on KS but overrated? Never heard anyone say anything good about that game. Except for some of the artwork I guess.

Make up a prototype and play it and maybe keep developing it. If it turns out that your idea is good you can playtest with a bunch of different people and perhaps contact a publisher down the road.

It was weirdly organized, but I think he's saying a game system like Conan's boardgame and the IP he's recommending is Terminator or Aliens.

Theseus is great at 2, it's the main count I play at. There are ways to stop people from just running away with the game. It is possible to draw the wrong cards while the other person draws the right cards, but again there are ways to mitigate the cards' effects. I've played zero games where I felt the draws alone decided who won and I've played dozens.

I guess I just had no idea what you meant by poop and assumed you were trashing it. Thanks for the info though.

Let's waggle those collections boys and girls!

I'd love to have a metroid like game. Exploring a world, gaining powerups and abilities that you didn't have at the beginning, and fighting all kinds of aliens and monsters

bleedingcool.com/2018/01/05/mantic-games-hellboy-game-kickstarter/

Careful what you wish for. I too would love a hellboy game too, but who knows what these people are going to give us.

This is actually a really tough question, IMO... I usually don't go for licensed games because they try to be a license first and a game a distant second, but you stipulate "Well Executed", so that clears that.

I could be like the other anons and say that I want more original material, which is true, but if I assume that's not exclusive and I'm just picking one property to adapt into a good game, that has its own considerations

As such, I'm going to out myself as weebtrash and say Madoka Magica. Pretty pink-frosted struggle and despair! Plus the Witch and Labyrinth designs can get really creative and I think there would be a lot of room for a game in the setting without just "Simulate the show!" being the order of the day. I feel like you could play a full game with off-brand mahous and no Walpurgisnacht, though the famous characters and show endgame should be in the box.

>Overrated
Dominion. Its time at the top of the deckbuilder heap has long passed
>Underrated
Sentient. It doesn't seem to have much buzz and deserves at least some.

Haven't made new purchases in a while, so play session consisting of
>Cthulhu Wars
3-player Base game, played big green himself for the first time, against Black Goat and Crawling Chaos. End result was a draw to the deeply screwed Crawling Chaos hitting the last ritual before anybody had full spellbooks to win.
>Smash Up
Played Wizard Cultists against Ninja Robots and Alien Ponies. Alien Ponies ran away with it thanks to a "bounce and replay" invader combo before I could really explode. Had nearly my whole deck in hand at one point, though.
>Merchant of Venus
Went "unfinished", one player had to go. The rest of us carried on but called it when I pulled way ahead at turn 20.

>I can't fucking wait to sit down and play a few matches of Cosmic Encounter. I like the presentation, and it looks relatively quick to play.
... try to contain yourself, user. The game doesn't fail for EVERYONE but neither is it the masterpiece Vasel makes it out to be. I hope your group enjoys it, but try to keep a level head and don't expect amazement.

No idea.

I find Catan in general really underwhelming. I've played it a lot and just don't really get much of the appeal. It feels very random despite being a Euro and while there is lots of strategy I can't help but feel many other games fulfill the same positive aspects with less negatives. I also didn't like Agricola, but I've only played it once so I'm still open minded about it. As for underrated I played Marrying Mr. Darcy the other day and had a lot more fun with it than I thought. I don't know if it's a serious competitive game, but it's a surprisingly fun time waster with a group of friends.

Played a game of Eldritch Horror last weekend with the new expansion. Everything about it is pretty good, I think personal stories are the best part of the expansion. I just wish they hadn't made a big deal about the campaign mode, it's actually pretty awful. I don't even feel like playing it, but at least it has gotten people interested in home brewing better ones.

OP here. How are you all liking the image? Do you like the flashy, colorful style? More of that in the future or nah? Or do you not care?

I don't particularly care what the image is but I do appreciate seeing new images regularly, so keep it up.

>Which Franchise would you like to see realized.
I'm working on a Jurassic Park game, though the recent glut of them as somewhat waned my enthusiasm.

Godzilla would be cool, as would an almost Twilight-Struggle type of House of Cards game. (Really any game about political corruption and planning.)

>Most recent Purchase or Play session
My last purchase spree was an indulgence, picking up a bunch of smaller games: Fortress, Unlock!, Exit, Stuff and Nonsense, etc.

So far, I've only gotten my hands on the Unlock! which was pretty enjoyable.

Since that, I had a couple hour board game session of Lanterns and Tokaido, as my friend is looking for games he could play with his GF and her mother.

>Hellboy/bprd game in development
Sweet.
>co-op
Despair.mp4

I mean, Hellboy works on/with a team most of the time.

I'm the user who told you to switch from JP to breeding mythical creatures and I still think it's a great idea you can use. I want to breed a harem of Medusas.

>I just had no idea what you meant by poop
yeah my bad, I call the food tokens poop after they are taken.

How is Chaos in the Old World for 3 players?

Is 50 bucks too much to pay for it? I can rarely get 4 players.

It's ok for 3 players if you make sure one of the players is khorne.

If you're buying it new, yeah, 50 is pretty ok. Used, you can get it lower for sure.

The game is best with 4 though for sure.

At 3 players Kemet or Innis will serve you better. Or Forbidden Stars if you still want that Warhammer IP.

You don’t have to hide it anymore Steev, we know your secret love.

I was thinking of going with Hansa Teutonica since I can't find Kemet atm. I don't care about WH and Innis didn't draw me from what I've seen of it.

Thanks. I think I'll pass for the reason of rarely being able to play with 4 players.

>being so obsessed with a tripfag you shotted that uninteresting exchange and later chose to share it at least once

Forbidden Stars is great whether you know/give a shit about WH.

Why settle for the virgin Hansa when you can just move straight to the Chad route building of an 18XX?

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me.

I haven't actually had a chance to work on it since that suggestion, as I'm in a play so rehearsals are taking up my evenings, so I default to calling it a "Jurassic Park" knock-off.

I have no idea what that is. HT and Kemet are the most beautiful board games I've seen so far.

>"Jurassic Park" knock-off
Cretaceous Gardens?

Ok, I'm looking at 18xx videos but I don't think something that needs introductory videos and 'building' would go well with my group, instantly.

>I have no idea what that is
Jesus wept, user. Search 1830 on board game geek

Will take a look, thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=4dtNSyjyPgs

This video seems nice, if there are other unaware people here.

The question is do you pass your friend a one hitter of skunk weed, or do you bust out a few CCs of special k and send them straight into an ego-killing k-hole? You know the right thing to do, user. Starting in the kiddie pool is something you and your friends have outgrown.

If I could find it for cheap, sure. If not, I'd still spend the money on something as pretty as Hansa first. I do have a list of bg's I want to own but so far I only have Bloody Inn (average at best), Munchkin (bought it from a gypsy for a dollar and it was too much) and Chess (Eternal).

>being this unfamiliar with /bgg/

Rules question:

In inis, let's say a player with the "Razzia" card (After attacking, take an action card from the player. If they cannot, they lose one clan.) attacks one with the "Warchief" card (after a manoeuver, the player places one clan and picks a manoeuver again.)

There is no priority in the rules of which one is resolved first.

So if there is conflict, and "Warchief" is the last action card of the defender... Does the attacker steal the warchief? Are both effects resolved?

>dickriding tripfags on any board
eat shit and die, cancer.

The font hurts my eyes

Fair enough. There are plenty of 18XX available for PnP. 1889 is a great intro and there's a sleek looking redesign on bggeek

-Beyblade
-Medabots
-Robotech or Gundam I know there's Robotech RPG but it's dogshit
-It's not a license but something that lets me feel like the commander of a space battle ordering fleets of ships around I know Armada is a thing but I'm already balls deep into x wing

Robotech RPG just died mate, real death.

What are the costs of printing approximately?

I did see the thread talking about it. There's still hope it could be redone the right way

did you know there is a forum for each game on bgg and a subforum for each forum is dedicated to rules?

I only mention it because it took me forever to figure out where the fuck people were talking about on the site.

I printed everything at my local library for like ten dollars. Bought some supplies at the dollar store for like 3. So less than 15 bucks if you're favoring function over aesthetics (which you need to learn to do if you want to get into heavy games of any kind)

Not him but I actually didn't know there was a subforum tab like that. Thanks user.

>not owning a printer

fucking millenials

>buying shit that's not necessary
>supporting big businesses instead a local establishment providing a useful service
Good goy.

No, actually, I didn't. Sorry, I didn't meant to bother. We really liked our game, it's just that this point stuck out badly when it came up.

I like the images on a whole. Only suggestion I have would be a thread question like "What house rules do you use?" or "Whats the longest game you ultimately won?"

Is... Is that a meeple rubbing his imaginary cheeks?

>house rules

Yeah, Bloody Inn didn't explain some things well so I found it that way.

Sounds cheaper than I thought. Perhaps I will look into it sometime, thanks.

Metal Gear Solid. Specter Ops does exist but I'd also like some political intrigue and giant mechs in my stealth game

I bought Inis, Century, Broom Service and Fairy Tale on /bgg/ recommendations. We only played a few games of each, but we liked all of them.

Century went over well, though I prefer splendor. Century lacks the reservation with gold tokens of splendor, and the 10 spice limit makes the optimization much sharper. I should probably have waited for the extensions to be out first- lesson for the future.

We only did a test game of Fairy Tale so far; but we liked it. Short and concise, and still more room to manoeuvre than a passing glance would say.

Broom service and Inis both were a treat to play. Inis is interesting because the drafting isn't that limiting thanks to being able to change your reserved cards, and while you can fuck someone over at a specific point, it's an investment that's not necessarily that profitable for you. Broom service is very much the kind of thing we enjoy, where everyone can seem to be doing their thing but you still have to be mindful of the others.
The last game on order is Nevermore. I think we'll enjoy that too. We might even get the extension if it goes over well.

it's fine, it's just like the only other thing bgg is useful for (usually someone has asked)

I always googled and got there but I didn't know where "there" was.

>reposting from old thread
Anons, what are some good boardgaming apps? Currently I'm playing a lot of the 2p Agricola App, it's pretty good. Any more recommendations? Prefering euro-style games.
People either recommend me Through the Ages and Terra Mystica, both both being at 10 bucks seems kinda steep.

On average, what are the odds that game that are somewhat recent (a few years) and currently out of stock will become available again at reasonable prices? Are you condemned to buying it from a place with a jacked up price if you want it?

>10 bucks
Where the hell do you live that this is steep?

Entirely depends on the company.

If you'd listened and installed Card Thief you wouldn't have spare time to repost this

all the rest cost burgers or are shit. lots of burgers or very shit. you can dl and play star realms but it gets boring fast and every deck is like $3+, the game itself would barely be worth $3 for all expansions at once.

I try to hit that post-hype 3rd printing after it's skyrocketed after the first two. That and a lot of good luck with random board game places having a copy left over.

Smirk and dagger games (Nevermore).

When most stuff costs 3-5 bucks, I consider 10 a steep increase.

Tried it, was ok, maybe just not my cup of tea.

>tfw literally sitting on my shelf in cellophane because I haven't gotten around to it yet

dude it's $30 on amazon wtf are you talking about. I should buy all 6 copies

>Tried it, was ok, maybe just not my cup of tea.

Bummer. One of the few free things that wasn't shit. I played the hell out of Galaxy Trucker at one point, it's not bad for the $$ but now I don't want to actually play IRL. Generally I won't pay for things so I'm limited to shitty 7wonders ripoffs and utter shit like Onirim.

I'm europe, man. There are places where it's sub 25 but it's out of stock.

>franchise/license
classic Doom
>overrated
engine builders in general
>underrated
Dolmen is completely unknown and really should be appreciated as a multiplayer abstract but that is a pain in the ass to acquire, otherwise Imperial or Letters from Whitechapel
>recent purchase
Tammany Hall came in the mail today, but I haven't had a play session in almost two weeks since I was away last weekend. session is happening at my friend's LGS tonight and I'm bringing in Millennium Blades by request. I'll take Tammany Hall with me as well and see if I can squeeze in both
I'm super happy to see 18XX being mentioned again in /bgg/. I still haven't played any stock-based 18XX yet (only have 1860, which is its own beast) but I'm going to pick up 1889 and 1849 in a month or two from now after holding it off for several months
>Arena of the Planeswalkers
that was my first purchase after getting back into board games (by trading a bunch of MTG cards) and boy did I quickly regret that decision, but here be some wagglin
I was able to teach a friend how to play 1860 (which is known as relatively complex within 18XX due to the amount of edge cases) with relative ease and I never showed him any videos. it's really not as daunting as people make it out to be, but it helps tremendously to have experience with Chicago Express and Imperial and he had played both of those games twice and once respectively. also get a 200/300 set of poker chips and save yourself a good hour on playtime rather than using paper money, or use pen and paper
the design of the tiles in that PnP are absolutely horrendous, really needs a traditional tile set instead

I'm also the guy who printed 1889 and I'd recommend that to give it a try. If you want to just buy one right away buy 1830, it's a better stock based imo UNLESS you plan on routinely playing 2 player in which case 1889 would be better.

>tiles are horrendous
>worried about aesthetics in 18XX
shiggidydoowap, hombre

I wish i had a nice Go board. Hows yours? Where did you get it?

How do you like warhammer quest? I want to like it, but it just doesn't grab me.

Figured why not post mine. I know there are a lot of good games missing, but they are in the mail so to speak!

I'm after shorter 18XXs with lower player counts (mainly so that it's easier to pull them out at my friend's LGS on Saturdays) so I actually prefer the idea of owning 1889 over 1830, but at the same time the sheer chrome of 1844/54 interests me as well. I'm also waiting for a reprint of 1830 that isn't error-ridden. I have no interest in 1846, 1860 is excellent for a somewhat operations-based 18XX
I actually like the rest of the PnP, but it helps to be able to quickly and easily distinguish the tiles from a distance, having a grey background with green/yellow/russet lines is awful for readability
I actually want to sell it, the rulebooks are utter garbage and I personally don't feel it has longevity
>ASL
damn, I'm impressed. when's the last time you played that? doubt you'd get time to with your store, my friend who runs a LGS has been longing to play TI3 for ages but simply doesn't get the time to play it anymore

>ASL
Almost 8 years now. I'm an old grognard so i've been playing crunchy games since the 80s. Not too many people like playing games like that any more. I'm thinking about advertising a day for all us old bastards to get together and play these. I'm also going to hit a few old folks homes, and offer big discounts. Hell,
older people want fun too after all, may as well play games they like.

>1830 that isn't error-ridden
I feel this
>no interest in 1846
I feel this
>PnP awful for readability
I disagree, but respectfully. Partially because, since it's PnP, you can change small things about it to make it better but I get why you wouldn't want to spend the time. 18CZ comes with a 2 player variant that's interesting, but it's very route/company based and not stock based. Heavy Cardboard did a teach/playthrough of the 2p if you're interested in stuff like that.

Not gamers, but I've seen a lot of it among friends/family not in the hobby; they think it's a legitimate game because Target carries it next to stuff like Codenames/TtR/Catan which they read about on faceberg

More novels. Wuthering Heights worker placement when?

Overrated: Targi, Onitama. BGG has weird taste in abstracts in general. Agree with that Eric Lang is highly overrated

Underrated: Sanssouci, Broom Service. I don't think Kramer and Kiesling get the hype they should.

>"Whats the longest game you ultimately won?"
A 50 minute single round of Bang! and I will never play that shit again because of it

Who has similar taste to Rahdo? Less conflict, Euro-ier designs, often with chill themes.

SUSD/jokey gamer Brit channels, The Dice Tower, Undead Viking, and Drive Thru aren't even close.

>giving a fuck what reviewers think
Congrats! You've made the shittiest post in the thread thus far!

cringe

Yep, that was my reaction to the request for reviewer recommendations as well.

I knew the Arena of the Planeswalkers were hot garbage when I bought them. I bought them to use the minis when I play TTRPG with my normie friends. The minis are shit, but they're better than nothing and paying about $25 for close to 80 minis is worth it to me.

How's BattleCON? That's a game I'd love to get if I had someone to play it with.

My go board is pretty nice in my pleb opinion (pic related) but I'm sure those more serious about go than me would disagree. I've never really used it besides the few times I played around with it because I can't find anyone to play with. Go is a game I'd love to be decent at but I get discouraged really quickly every time I start playing again. As for where I got it, my parents got it for me years ago for Christmas so I wish I could help you out, sorry. But knowing them, it was prolly from Amazon.

How's Stuffed Fables? I've been seeing some buzz about it and how adorable it is. I've been wondering if my girlfriend might like it.

>go to BGG
>use geekbuddy system
>find people with similar taste
>read their scores/notes/reviews

>How's Stuffed Fables?
I've had a couple people tell me it's the game Mice & Mystics wanted to be, but nothing concrete enough to make me pull the trigger. There's an user who played one game of it so far and owns; hoping he'll toss out more info on it

cringe

hes right though

I have no problem redrawing the tiles, my main issue is that my housemate's printer is not good enough to make nice looking PnPs and I'm pedantic as hell. give me the PnP design of 1889 with traditional tiles and the production values of DTG/AAG and I'd be happy
>18CZ
still waiting for more informed opinions before I bite the bullet. I do like the concept of the bot for 2 players, but if I wanted to buy another operations-based 18XX I'm still leaning towards 1825 Unit 2 (maybe Unit 3 as well) at this point
is how I've formed most of my collection but I don't geekbuddy people, and about 10% of my games came from /bgg/ recommendations
I can see that reasoning, but I still get a good giggle whenever someone asks me about the game and I think of the green-skinned Liliana
>BattleCON
fucking brilliant, every single person I've shown it to has loved it except for one friend who appreciated the design but doesn't enjoy fighting games in general. still need to get off my ass and try and organise an eight-player tournament at my friend's LGS, but I haven't been trying to get anyone at the LGS to get into it. baby steps

There are turns where you will roll the dice and be unable to do anything useful. Is this worse than attacking and missing? Not practically speaking, but it feels worse to children if you plan on playing with them.

Is there any point in even voting in the Golden Geeks? Gloomhaven is going to sweep the awards more than Scythe did last year.

Why would you even pay attention to nonsensical shit like that?