>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>Thin ya paints!
youtu.be/wxWgsqSf74s

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Just made a thread but fucked up and deleted, about to repost but see this.
Fugg
Anyways, heres a Horror from the Warp I uncovered

Repostan since my timing is always dogshit.

Ok, so I got these 2 test models. Going for a Blue with a Papyrus-like trim. Decided to do a main and an inverted scheme kindof like how the Blades of Magnus does it. I don't have all the paints necessary to pull this off i think, and I'm not entirely sold.

I will need to get two brighter blues as I'm not sold on the saturation of Ahriman Blue. I want a bit of a bright scheme.

For the papyrus, I suffer from not having a lighter cream like Karak Stone and also from not having a sepia wash (both of which i will correct. A bonus for the inverted scheme would be having plenty of surface area to scrawl hieroglyphs all over the armour!

Opinions?

personally I don't like all the random patches of colour (half of the feet being one colour looks odd to me, same with the random patches on the legs)
the bone and blue is a nice combination as far as colours go though

i like 1 (one) the best

was just going for a tabletop quality necromancer/lich/wraith

Don't mind those, these are just tests. I did that because loyalist marines have next to zero trim like csm do so I had to improvise to see how the scheme comes out. Any ideas on how to make the bone look like papyrus or just generally better?

Thank you. I'm actually partial to the second, but the first has benefits for army uniformity

Just cleaned these up. Guess my project.

brettonians in space?

So you are painting that scheme on CSM then, not loyalists?

Hard to judge the scheme on the wrong model.... but for sure needs to be less patchy and more uniform.

no it's an army of female squats who are also nuns

No, its for thousand sons. Only models I had access to.. That said, I AM stripping my rubrics so maybe I should've just painted over 2 to test anyway. Might do that next.

I just want a good colour for papyrus parchment. I don't want it looking like bone desu

Well thank god you don't have to rank models up anymore.

Cheers dude, looks bloody great.
Love the Astropath.
I'm going for a not-too-dissimilar washed out tone for my Mech folks.

Dank purp, nice job.

/wip/ is just crushing it lately, so many great projects going and finished.
Good showing lads.

I play 9th age bud. We still rank up. He just goes onto the end of the unit.

like this. Also ignore those bases, theyre are exactly 1.5mm larger on all sides because I bought from a shitty company

Not inaccurate.

What is /wip/ working on tonight? I recently finished up my test goblin for my spiderfang army

Skitariifag here from yesterday. Started on the robes, but kinda struggling with a nice crisp gray.
What do you think? Did I overdo the shading/highlights?
C&C greatly appreciated

How do you guys make yourselves paint or hobby once you get home from work or after class? I’m always so damn exhausted

Take your time and enjoy it. Take a color and start painting a part of a mini you want to paint most. Finish one layer or highlight. If youre not really feeling like it, finish after you did one layer on one miniature.
RInse and repeat. Download an audiobook and try to relax while painting.

It's my zen atm

>make yourselves paint or hobby
I don't make myself paint, painting gets me through the day. I spend free moments at work thinking about the projects I am working on, and what I can get done before I have to get to sleep.

Try to break up projects into steps that you can do in 20-40 minutes. Do a step, see how you're feeling and either stop or carry on. rinse and repeat.

Where'd you get those plastic bolterbitches?

Perry plastics with skeleheads? Nice way to make a lot of spooky bois.

I finished cleaning up my dwarves so I decided to try something out; I'm putting together the Maisontaal as an experiment to see how to do cardboard buildings.

So far I've learnt a fair few things, like don't use watered down PVA.

Got another bashed storm bolter together.

I had an accident and this left me with some health problems. I got back into the hobby to try and occupy my time.

I try my best, is the paint stillntoo thick? Any other advice or suggestions for the base?
Claws and talons of other models will be painted in a darkish green with lime green highlights.

For a good price too.

Worst lighting ever, impossible to see the highlights

Bad pic/10

Resin, Grishnak. Took a month for the fifty ladies to arrive. The resin is REALLY good and the detail is absurdly good.

it's really not that bad you wanker

The purple is a bit uneven, looks like it could use another thinned-down coat to smooth it out. The pale flesh isn't bad, but those gaps in the carapace could use a different color, maybe even just a purple wash instead of the blue

I want to die looking at that

Fuck me these are good.
A bit thinner than the GW ones and the heads are a bit too "realistically" proportioned but way more accurate than any other third party sister I've seen out there.

Base color + Shade + Highlight
Use those three one any one area of color and you'll be golden.

Thank you.

Yeah, you're right. The model isn't finished yet as I'm trying to learn layeribg after shading. Do you mean a pirple wadh directly beneath the carapace where the model halves connect?

There are more options coming from Wargame Exclusives, and Artel W, so I recommend waiting to see what they put out.

Would you mind posing these girls next to the original metal ones?
Can't find a picture of that and I want to see how they compare.

Hey /wip/ how do you paint your gretchin? I'm looking for alternate skin tones.

I used camo green and mixed in bleached bone for the highlights.

The modern equivalent for citadel would be athonian camoshade or vallejo game color camouflage green.

Hahahahahahahahahaha, like I own those old are sculpts. Here is my Immolator though.

Huh, looks a bit small.

Thanks for the pic though.

WIP Aggressor Squad Brutus alongside brother Testus Modelis.

The Sergeant should probably have some red markings on him but I prefer my Minotaurs being mostly bronze, like an army of statues.

Fiancées Death Guard WIP.

can't wait to see them finished, looking good so far

First models for my Legions of Nagash army.

Can’t stick to one army so I keep flitting back and forth between these guys and my Minotaurs, painting a few models of each.

Get your round based dung beetles outta here

Doing a Storm Raven with a Death Company theme. Originally wanted to feather and glaze the highlights before I realized just how long that would take on this fucking brick. So for now, the quick and easy Duncan way, edge highlights and a dry brush. Think I'm gonna make the eagle white instead of gold and once completely painted add on some decals like written text and atmosphere/battle damage.

Should I make the red X thicker?

These are really nice.

I think it's looking great so far, mate. Don't touch the X or the aquila.

Does /tg have a custom chapter?

Is yours the blue man group?

angry marines

WIP Custodes. The metals undone, black unhighlighted etc.

Jolly good show old chap and whatnot

pubic hair.

Starting a new guard force, just need to clean this tank up and wait for the track guards to arrive.
What do you bois think of my first major conversion?

What paint r u using?

>Wargame Exclusives
Well, if they can retsrain themselves from having everyones' tits hanging out...

you used balthasar gold not the newer stormcast gold didnt you? it looks more bronze than gold, but i like it.

Whats your face painting technique? Its the best I've ever seen.

i just do cadian fleshtone, then 2 washes of fleshtone. first wash is thinned down and goes all over. the second wash is full strength but only in deep recesses like cheeks and eyes. then i redo the cadian flesh tone in a few areas. then kislev flesh on nose, cheeks, etc.

Does anyone know what kind of bases these are? They look really nice.

repostan
stuck on colours for the glowy bits, namely the eyes and coils on the gun, suggestions?

really wish I had researched the glue i used on these guys, such a fucking mess.

Those are some nice skellies.

Finished some bits of my building today. Just need to do the floors and supports.

Hmm, probably yellow. You've already got a yellow accent on the lower part of the robe, so adding a little bit to the upper part of the mini should keep it balanced.

That’s a really nice bronze, how do?

complimentary colours like yellow or orange to make em pop

what's you flesh/tentacle recipe?

Whats the best way to start out painting? does GW have a sort of starter pack for the brushes and accessories and the like, was looking to get orks if that makes any difference.

Well, if you've never painted before, don't start with anything you want to look really good! Which may or may not be an issue with Orks...

GW paints are really expensive, but there are places where you can get their stuff at a discount if that's what you want (it's what I do, I can't stand dropper bottles).
Whatever brand you go for, have an idea of what colors you want for your first/major project before you start, and buy those first.
Pick up a few really cheap minis to practice on; I use both Reaper Bones and Nolzur's Marvelous Minis for that.

Brushes I can't really testify to yet, I started with cheap craft store brushes, some of which aren't holding up great but that's not an issue for me yet. On the other hand, I'm not painting entire armies.

The brushes i have aren't so good, but then again i'm working with a box full of unpainted mini's my brother bought back in like 2011 but didn't really get into. I have a dozen or so colors but no washes or textures and colors that don't even match, for instance he got about 4 grey knights but only one shade of grey and an IG heavy weapons team but no fleshtones so really in short i just wanna start from a clean slate with the right set of tools.

I like it!

How do you gold, user?

Starting with orks is a good idea, space marines are tough for new painters because of all the edge highlights.

Don't bother buying GW brushes or tools. Buy some cheap brushes and go from there. Clippers and knives can be bought way cheaper from other places than GW.

Also good luck and have fun, and remember practise makes perfect. We all gotta start somewhere.

Some people like me start further back than others

And also start upside down aswell

Oh you crazy aussie

2 rows of gravestones yay or nay? Other options would be:
>more/less gravestones
>1 row in the back
>just one stone
>no gravestones at all
>buying the garden of morr kit to do some crazy shit
Though I don't know how the garden would help. A statue/wall would be too much for the small dragon and I like the campy look of just geavestones. It's an oldhammer model that will get a more or less bright paintjob anyway.

Does this ever happen to anyone?

>Paint a mini, turns out really good and you feel like you have improved considerably.

>Start a new different mini, and it just goes all wrong and you feel like you still suck and have not improved even in the slightest or even got worse.

Yes, happened to me a few times. Mostly because I rushed stuff and got lucky how a wash turned out.

YES. Either something was off with the paint or my skill dropped 2-3 levels between sessions.

So a question on 'custom chapters' (i.e. painting something in a non-traditional army colour scheme), how do you determine what colours you would require? Obviously you'd have an idea what what colour scheme you want to paint in, but how do you determine how many colours exactly you'd need?

repositon rows of tombstones so his lifted arm is on top of one. the rows are fine but make sure they are about 1 model apart

So, I'm trying to settle on a good HH Alpha Legion flesh color for faces. Books describe their skin as waxy and fake looking, but most people seem to interpret this as ghostly pale, which I don't think quite fits the description. Forge World's scheme itself seems like any other Marine. Does anyone have any opinions on a good scheme?

this happens to me mostly because of fucking eyes. I'll fuck up marine eyes, just a little bit, and then in trying to fix it fuck up the face.

A slightly yellower tinge, maybe? With the blue/green armor it wouldn't take much.

I think it came down to five things for me. The chapter colors (or color), the aquila colors, power weapon color and the eye color. Things like metal parts, wax seals, purity seals are probably you can just go standard.

shit I forgot to add, bolter colors too.

Nice conversion on the chassis, but the cannon looks out of proportion with the vehicle.

Fuck yeah they look amazing. How did you do the rust?

For the greater good

Fuck. Hopefully this one is better

Pick a green colour
Wash it
Highlight with existing colour plus a little bit of cream paint.

Done.

Well fuck me, I guess I'm going down this rabbit hole of a project

In progress basing tests for my Saim Hann jetbike army

I do squigs and grots darker and more desaturated than the boyz. I use base Castellan Green > light wash Agrax Earthshade > highlight Deathworld Forest > edge highlight Ogryn Camo.
It's good but no pics because I'm a dumb phoneposter.