/osrg/ - Obsessively Shitposting and Ranting

/osrg/ - Obsessively Shitposting and Ranting

Welcome to /osrg/, the Old School Renaissance General! Here we discuss editions of Dungeons and Dragons from the TSR era, etc.
>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L
>Ghost Tracker (that needs to get moved into Tools & Resources):
docs.google.com/document/d/17e1ltFE_rjXfBHI1HRXiU5GIngrO35BlqHMD9s3M578/edit?usp=sharing

Previous thread:
Topic for Discussion:
What is one fundamental change would you like to see in your favorite OSR game?

Other urls found in this thread:

paperspencils.com/2018/02/18/20-architectural-features-for-memorable-dungeons/
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-race-crocolings.html
youtube.com/watch?v=SKAqmqVQ700
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You forgot to fill in the subject field, shitpig.

>I swear, Veeky Forums is getting worse every single day
Gotta work hard then.

That's a pretty good table. Is it purely random (so 1d6, 1d12) or is there some modifier?
Uh huh.
>What is one fundamental change would you like to see in your favorite OSR game?
I run a hacked-together homebrew so any fundamental changes are easy to make.

I'd like it if I could keep track of hireling names better. I always get them mixed up. Speaking of, anyone have some good generic Hirelings or Hireling Quirk tables?

>shitposting starts in the OP

I like dungeon world, even though the author looks like an utter retard

I enjoy watching adam koebel run games and think he's a very good GM.

But he is absolutely insufferable when he opens his mouth about politics or gender bs.

I found Shinobi and Samurai recently and liked it a lot, enough to print and ringbind it. However, progress is purely by GM fiat as it uses no XP at all. It's no big deal to retrofit XP progressions into it, but I wish it came with them already - I don't really mind what it's trying to do, but it's an easier sell on people with XP.

>nobody ever mentions Sage LaTorra

I can't even bring myself to bully Koebel any more, he crossed the line from pathetic to depressive a while back.

How and when?

You invited this when you guys accepted BW into /osrg/ when they first began.

Wouldn't that make him more of a target here?

he's also insufferable when it comes to game design

So clearly, open season on shitposting? Nice work, user. See where that path leads you.

Also, space aliens. Good idea? Bad idea? Barrier Peaks aside, any good sci-fi-in-fantasy modules?

When people discovered he was in a one-sided open relationship.

oh damn, I didn't realize it was one sided. was that in that long ass video he had about it?

Bah, ost of Veeky Forums is in a one-sided relationship. Sometimes they switch to the left side for a bit of variety, but usually they keep one hand on the mouse.
>But he is absolutely insufferable when he opens his mouth about politics or gender bs.
Who isn't?

Definitely a good idea if you're going for a Weird Fantasy feel. If you're playing something like LotFP, it's almost a given that aliens would make an appearance, though it would be more shocking to people familiar with that system for there NOT to be aliens.

>Barrier Peaks aside, any good sci-fi-in-fantasy modules?

I gather ASE is enjoyed in part precisely for this vibe. Haven't checked it out myself.

Misty Isles of the Eld is another I know of.

And DCC does one or two of these (#79, Frozen in Time).

There also rumours going around about him lying about his sexuality.

>space aliens
Good in theory, depends on the execution.

Haven't thought about it too hard, but why wouldn't they just throw the arrows?

I need some help here, the following is taken from Page 25 from the Expert(cook) book:

Spell casting. A character must have a stable support to cast
spells. Most magic items do not require a stable support to use.
Missile fire. Missiles fired by a character from an unstable support
have a -4 penalty to hit. Missile fire is otherwise normal.

This is after some talk about aerial combat, explicitly stating "A mount that flies by flapping its wings is definitely not stable!"
Does this mean that horses count as stable support? do they always do? sorry if this is a stupid question but it has been bothering me for a while.

I'm not sure if there's ever been an official ruling (kind of missed that myself), but I would interpret horseback as non-stable, unless it's just standing there. Others might say that any non-gallop is stable, but going full-out is not.

It's a metaphor

I'd rule that warhorses are stable but regular/wild ones aren't

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will be making the following ruling:
"A Warhorse is stable enough for a trained soldier to shoot from, but other wise a moving horse counts as an unstable platform"

>Does this mean that horses count as stable support? do they always do?
No. The amount of time they put into training a horse in dressage is ridiculous, throw in "dressage gait" in youtube and see how unstable the rider looks even on those plus it's extremely tiring for the horse.

How would you guys stat out rockstop

I'd say no for a typical wizard. Multiclass from Barbarian into Wizard and I could totally see horseback-casting being viable. Any steppe-based nation would probably train war-casters on horseback anyway. Ritual casting, not so much, but blasting and controlling, sure.

There are also accounts of knights serving dinner to kings from horseback.

On the other hand, you have the Paso Fino, a breed whose natural gait is so smooth you can carry a glass of wine while riding. Said to be a descendant of a Palfrey line, the medieval riding horse.

If there were a giant in the hex, who has an agreement that he'll protect the three villages and let them eat and use his giant livestock, what would he ask out of it in return?

>generic hirelings quirk table
I use this for basically all my npc, hireling, mooks, wack jobs etc.

Although 100 Weird Hirelings seems good too.

>Gets to eat 1 baby a year
>They help the giant clean its teeth
>Monthly theatrical productions for the giant's amusement, must be different each time
>The giant's dead brother's ghost also lives there, but the villagers must ignore it or face fell consequences

A sacrificial woman to use as a fleshlight

Horrible news coming from the /OSRG/ discord.

Also, what's the best way to fuck with my players in a hexcrawl?

>space aliens. Good idea?
A very good idea. I've considered a setting where demihumans and certain monsters are actually from outer space.

>any good sci-fi-in-fantasy modules?
Anomalous Subsurface Environment is pretty good if you enjoy extremely gonzo post-apocalyptic settings.

Interesting if true. Assuming that's not an IP range ban, I would give better than even odds that it's permanent because of ban evasion.

>discord
You have to be 18+ to post here senpai.

Most of the monstrous humanoids in my game are aliens. The humans aren't even from around there. Its a prison/containment planet, which I find a convenient excuse to have all kinds of weird creatures. But it works with sword and planet gonzo. Not so sure about with a more standard eurofantasy, that seems a lot harder to pull off.

Module wise, I like Red Demon in the Vile Fens and this one a lot.

Hol up, is Dungeon World really OSR?

Yes. Wikipedia says it is, and that's the standard we use now.

This is an excellent table.

-Music. He loves it.
-Fancy festival to its honor with an entire barrel of beer.
These are good too. Eugh, teeth.
How odd.
>Not so sure about with a more standard eurofantasy, that seems a lot harder to pull off.
Depends on your Euro I guess.

literally who?

Wishful thinking on your part, user. Most likely the IP was tagged as a Tor node or something - I once came on Veeky Forums only to find out I had been "banned" since 2014.

Emmy Allen. She's as ancient as she is regular.

A horse that is stationary on the ground would be fine, as would any other stationary animal that can stand firmly on the ground. A galloping, trotting, or cantering horse is not stable, but you may be able to make the argument that a horse walking is stable enough to cast spells when mounted upon.

An animal that's flying, even when hovering in position by flapping its wings, is still unstable.

That's silly. You can catch a ban for posting copyright material, but you can't catch a ban for saying "hey piracy is cool you guys." The rules are pretty clear on that.

is probably right.

Sounds like she caught a ban intended for someone else, then. Recommend filing a ban appeal or getting on the #Veeky Forums channel on the Rizon IRC network and contacting a mod.

>OSRG Discord

why

Cool, thanks for this.

I need some cool ideas for dungeon themes. As of right now, I'm feel a bit like making my next big dungeon something a bit like a low ceiling, yellow muddy river-dungeon sort of thing. Probably has a bunch of catfish goblins, otter shaped traps, lungfish spellcasters, some other shit too.

Any ideas on what to add or different themes to add on here? I've had the map finished for months of my first "proper" big dungeon, but now I need to stock it and make it good.

No. It uses standard array (no rolling for stats), game is easy-mode when it comes to hp, it tries to use the AW framework without anything close to AW's setting or drama. It's rules-light narrative D&D. It's not OSR. Stop confusing the two.

>yellow river dungeon
>divine edible turtle sages
>ancient dams and aqueducts in tiers
>pumps that keep the lower hells from flooding
>'river' boats of competing ghoul poets

np, I think this wold be good too, just haven't gotten to it.

I need a good Post-Apocalyptic system that isn't Gamma World.

-Tidal segment (floods every few hours, then drains)
-Crayfish people
-Goblins who are experts at muddy sliding tackles
-Any of these: paperspencils.com/2018/02/18/20-architectural-features-for-memorable-dungeons/
-tunnel under a graveyard. Roof is coffins. Some pop open. A witch was buried upside-down.

Why does she care?

Why did she come on to Veeky Forums in the first place

Skerples, why are you still here?

And again, gracias. I can definitely use this stuff.

Why are you here, user

>Skerples, why are you still here?
I like helping people solve problems.
Helps avoid ivory tower design.

Why are any of us here, user?

>Why did she come on to Veeky Forums in the first place

Doesn't matter, once you're here, you're here forever.

>its one of life's great mysteries isn't it? Like, are we just a cosmic coincidence or is there a God, watching us and stuff? I don't know man, but it keeps me up at night.

At least The Dice Must Roll had the decency to leave forever and never come back.
t. knower

Heh, I remember that. Made me write up these guys: coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-race-crocolings.html

Anyone have Stars Without Number: Revised Edition? Gearing up for a space game, and I bought first edition but I'd like the new content.

Yes, but you could be on literally any other website

Like the rest of us user, I can't leave

So could you, and you choose to shitpost here.

I am, but there are some advantages to this place. Not many, but some.

Anyway, finally got 100 hexes done! Just 28 left. Such a relief.

Whoops.

Is there any interest in a hacked together shitbrew where characters branch out into different classes as they level, kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics?

I like FFT. And FFTA, for that matter. FFTA2 is right out, though. Whether I'll like your homebrew, well, we'll see. Branching classes at least isn't entirely new to OSR.

>c-character builds...!
Sure, write it up and let us look.

ntsyrt but I like it here because it seems like at least a 1/4th of the people who post here play somewhat regularity, have ideas, try new things and ask questions without having to worry about social capital like on G+ because osrg is barely a community. You can figure out who blogs and post here if you really want, but its not a big deal.

Its also weird to me people don't use more than one aggregator site for things they like, or have tribal affiliation feelings for any of them.

You know like 80% of the game is free right? Just like mechs and space wizards that are paid.

>tumblr noses everywhere
get that shit out of here.

>advantages to this place

You make me laugh

tumblr noses are red silhouette. His noses are often red, but they are also very detailed

How else am I supposed to make sure stuff is foolproof?

We give fast (if predominantly negative) feedback, assuming we're interested. We also spitball ideas pretty quickly, again assuming we're interested.

Skerples, we're worse than fools

At least I am

:(

>What is one fundamental change would you like to see in your favorite OSR game?
Armor as damage reduction.

Even better!
youtube.com/watch?v=SKAqmqVQ700

>Stop confusing the two.
no need to get your panties on a twist, user, i was just asking

MEGADUNGEONS: What's the point? Are they actually fun?

It's what the game is balanced around.

You become more familiar with them than small dungeons, which facilitates planning.

Expandable content, factions, continuous delving.

>What's the point?
Avoiding wilderness adventures?

>Are they actually fun?
Stonehell is. Others not so much.

>game is easy-mode when it comes to hp

DW basically starts you at level 3 and then goes up to roughly level 4. Plus combat is asymmetrical, so 6 HP on a PC counts for less than 6 HP on a monster..

Digits determine your room. One sentence description. Go!

A skelleton lies here next to wall scrapings which read, go west and d_

A female giant lies half dead, half alive, on the ground with an entourage of ghouls addicted to her blood.

Three orcs examining a fourth dead orc. Their leader will challenge the party to a (non-lethal) display of dominance, and let the party win (though not too obviously). They will then serve as "hirelings", swearing on their orcish honour and playing dumb. The moment they think they can get away with it, they'll rob the party for all they've got and abscond.

An orc-run empanada stand is here. 5 silver a serving. Filling is heavy on the onion.

A wight cooking a level 2 thief alive in a cauldron.

Bedchamber of Hartgreave, immortal lich. Put all his spells into defense. Nearly invulnerable but cannot cast offensive magic so he's only as dangerous as a skeleton. Wants cuddles, stories, fancy shoes with pointed toes in return for hints about other rooms (useful) and relationship advice (less so).

Alchemy circle on the ground, entering it spawns an invisible stalker that hunts you down from room # matching post below mine.

The local thieves guild's holiday party, the punch is a random potion.

Empty room open to the sky.