Under what circumstances would you allow someone to play a kitsune?

Under what circumstances would you allow someone to play a kitsune?

ERP I planned on blackmailing them with later and then publicly releasing even after I had gotten what I wanted.

So in short, never.

If they asked to play one.

maid rpg

If I was allowing homebrew and the stats weren't crazy, also they have to promise to not jerk it at the table.

Only if it's not furry or gijinka shit but actually a shapeshifting fox that shoots fire

If they asked me first, before just showing up and saying that they're playing a kitsune. If they also played the race straight, rather than the "animu" images of them.

I.E.: In Pathfinder, Kitsune are fox-folk with some innate magical powers (such as being able to disguise themselves as another humanoid), so actually playing them as such instead of just being cute girls with fox ears and tails.

Whenever it suits the setting, or the player can justify his/her choice. Of course, the rest of the group has to be okay with it.

Other than that, I don't give a fuck.

in some kind of japanese mythological setting, why not? we have dragon people in our western fantasy games

Only if they're Chaotic Evil and okay with regularly having to eat livers.
Kumiho>Kitsune

>this bitch draws on your screen

i was shitting bricks

>it won't be weird if I make it as awkward and unappealing as possible!
It's the equivalent of farting and burping in public to prove you're not ghey.

Yes, that's better than basically announcing that you masturbate to your character.

Also "evil monster" is better characterization than "cringy anime stereotype".

They're a staple of tranny players

kill yourself

>Yes, that's better than basically announcing that you masturbate to your character.
Not really, because not only do you look like an edgelord but now you have people raising questions like "is this motherfucker going to turn on the party" and "why exactly are we traveling with this fuckwit again if all he's doing is killing random peasants for fun?"

As long as you're not calling attention to your character's physical appearance every session, nobody is going to give a fuck about the person you're playing so I don't understand what the big deal is.
>inb4 you're immature because you don't waste your time and energy shitting on things you don't like.

A game master sperging about a normie-tier shapeshifting race and insisting that I should play a CE monster instead is a far bigger red flag to me than seeing an obvious furry at the table. Not in the least because an aspie of that caliber likely won't be able to actually handle a CE monster in the party.

Found the weebshits.

FPBP

Shut up, assburger. I'll put money on you never actually having run a game.

Well, the important questions are “Can this person play a kitsune without being annoying?” and “Do kitsune fit the tone and setting on the game I’m thinking of running?” If the answer to both those questions is “yes,” then the player who’s asking can play a kitsune. Bad behavior would ultimately result in the loss of kitsune privileges, however.

/Thread

This, but the player would have to be an 11/10 and the ERP would have to be in-bedroom LARPing with no fade-to-black skips during the lewd parts.

If you want ME to come to your bedroom and ERP a kitsune with you, I don't think I'm the one who will be blackmailed with that recording.

>Implying I have any shame at all that would allow me to be blackmailed.

Bring it on, honey.

I honestly wouldn't the only way people would see anything called a Kitsune at my table would be
Which are so monstrous as to not be available to players.

Since the game is more focused on western mythologies than eastern ones, I'd suggest a shapeshifter fae equivalent, unless they provide strong reasons why a kitsune would have traveled so far/would even exist in the setting to begin with.

The neckbeerd aggression has triggered a faerie equivalent of the Migrations Period, with magical creatures abandoning their ancestral habitats and moving west.

Whenever they feel like it.

Would be interesting to see what my players do with it. I already know they do absolutely fucking nothing with humans, dwarves, and elves.

I'd allow it in a high base level type game where the players are all starting as demigods setting out on their ultimate journey that'll recognize them as heroes for the rest of time. I'd even allow the general fox spirit motif in a western setting. Thing is though they have to expect hate in a lot of places if anyone finds out they're race. Fox spirits (Like many intelligent animal spirits) have historically caused a lot of people a lot of pain over the years even if the majority are relatively kind if not a bit aloof in nature. Depending on their Party member's backgrounds I'd even encourage them to hide it from their fellow PCs for as long as possible. That way hopefully I can set up a sappy moment where everyone accepts each others differences and let's their experiences outweigh their stigmas

Also no complete mastery of their human form early on without a specific and rare artifact like a magic pendant that matches the shade of their fur perfectly or a leaf carved of jade balanced on their head. Without those then they'll have to be making willpower checks to maintain their human form whenever something that would be considered stressful happen.

If your players can't make a compelling character with the "regular" races, they're not going to magically learn how to make real characters just because they're playing some retarded anime snowflake race now.

Counterpoint, showing enough desire to play a character that they choose something that's a bit out there for the race will likely mean that they're going to put some thought into the character and not just going to make it a statblock made for hitting other statblocks with a sword.

They have some terminal brain disease and it's their last wish.
cuz kitsunes a shit

Man... I think I'd just deny that wish. They'll die with their soul less tainted.

>not feeding their souls to slaanesh
>not using the sacrifice to empower yourself
>not using feverish last wishes to ascend to daemonhood

>human ears + animal ears

They're a standard race in my OA setting, although they don't look human. So if I ever do another campaign set there, I'd allow them.

> mfw fighting Ninetails and he starts using red Celestial Brush to counter mine.

This. Bog-standard races get old real quick; I'd allow a ton of obscure shit in my games as long as everyone was on board with their lore and rules. Kitsune are well-known, but at least they're something different.

Footjobs under the table every time their race is brought up.

Counter-counterpoint: if the player in question is just making a character that is explicitly for fapbait (like OP’s generic anime waifu kitsune garbage), you’re only enabling their behavior for inevitable disruption when they eventually start shoving their ferishes into the game.

Be open to character concepts, but don’t be afraid to question them. If a player is unwaveringly adamant about playing some loli fox demigod in a setting where it doesn’t belong, you’re not obligated to humor them. They can go to /pfg/ or F-list like everyone else who only wants a game to get their rocks off.

How often does magical realm actually happen opposed to spergs sperging about nothing?

I'll let somebody play a kitsune if I'm running a full weeb game. It's happened before.

I trust my players and our group functions properly because we communicate like adults, not emotionally crippled solipsistic manchildren.

Any time I'm running kitchen sink. Also if I'm running shadowrun.

I like to outsource a bit of the setting to the players.
So I give them the option of coming up with their own home town, which includes decisions like "what races are in that home town".

>Four ears
That shouldn't be how it works.

if it fits the setting and isn't obviously a fetish for them

I don't care what they do in their private time but don't be a perv while the game is going

Over my cold, dead, flabby body.

Can I have your liver?

I see what you did there.

When it fits the setting

/thread
No good reason to ever play a Kitsune

Goes great with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

If they were willing to accept that their character would in most cases be considered a freak, not be liked by the party and be forced to stand outside and have no part in 90% of all interactions with other people.

If the game (not system) i run allows playing as Japanese mythical monsters.

i know the playerisnt a terrible weeb who will play an animu waifu but rather someone who will play up the trickster spirit aspect and has a good reason for one to exist in the setting.

>trickster and shapeshifter
>considered a freak
Aha, another village of alarmingly sharp peasants with magic vision and telepathic powers. Mighty numerous, these villages.

Any time, because I'm not an autistic 12 year old and I realize people can make their own decisions. I'm not in the business of censorship.

I was, of course, referring to the "haha I have cute fox ears!" kitsunes, you little shit.

>peasants consider fox ears freakish
>in a world where warforged and thri-kreen are wandering around, and owlbears are outside the town and there are green people and midgets are an entire species and...

And where those things are common, or if they aren't, would similarly be treated with fear, revulsion and distrust.

"Rare" races, unless they have some religious or significantly positive associations, should always freak out normies.

>rare races
>not making whatever races your players choose the most common races in the setting
It's like you WANT them to be special snowflakes.

I stole your pants. All of them. Retroactively. If you look at old pictures of yourself you'll notice the expression of a man who is fully aware that he has no pants. I have stolen your father's pants, and his father's before him. In fact, if you take a look at your family crest, it now says 'Sine Braccas'.

Not really, user.
Many a rare race basically looks exactly like a human with some minor differences.

It depends almost entirely on how much different they look than normal people. And fox ears is barely a change at all. I mean, we've got freakin' robot people and bugmen and demons and shit.

Not really, if there are a billion common freaks, one extra freak is not going to make anyone upset. Might turn a few heads just because they haven't seen many/any of this particular variety of freak, but only homogeneous communities that don't see many outsiders at all would be really concerned.

Not to mention that if your community has druids messing around - and most do - you'll learn right quick not to point your finger at strangers with animal features.

>Look, Jimbob, we have visitors to our tiny hamlet!
>Let's see, we have a dude decked in full plate clanging around like it's tinfoil
>a 2m tall half-orc with an axe
>a wizard with bright blue hair and burning footprints following him...
>OH GOD IT'S A MEMBER OF RACE GM DOESN'T LIKE EW EW EW

Given that every folk tale involved with this kind of thing in the west ends with the peasants marrying the lady with fox ears, and usually destroying the thing that allows them to get away, I'm going to say that peasants probably should appreciate fox ears.

T. huldra and selkie.

we know eachother reasonably well (a month or so of intense shitposting and banter) and i know they are bro tier

Assuming the kitsune is female. I doubt your average peasant would like a well-dressed foxboy with a mandolin skulking around his daughters.

They never mention what happens to male versions in these myths.

You know that manga?

In most depictions, kitsunes are magical foxes that use magic to look like humans, so they can have as many ear as they fucking want

>Under what circumstances would you allow someone to play a kitsune?
if they wanted to.
my group's pretty decent. i trust them to still play alright. or even if they don't, it'll probably still be a good time.

I'd tell them that's fine so long as they acknowledged that they're a shapeshifting spirit fox and not an anime with fox ears, and that they wouldn't actually be called a kitsune in universe since the setting isn't Japan. Oh, and I'd also fill them in on how spirits work in setting, bans and courts and all that, and make sure they're cool with having a lot of weird restrictions and weaknesses to go with the benefits

If it works for the setting and said player isn't a shit.

As long as they weren't overly lewd and cringy about it, I wouldn't care. The problem is that most weebs are insufferable faggots.

What I mean to say is that my players CANNOT make these races compelling. They treat these races as just regular humans - it's like they are playing themselves wearing costumes. Even when they supposedly talk IC, you can distinctly hear that they are actually speaking OoC to one another about the game, and not the experience. Clearly the races the picked are nothing but numbers to them - which isn't the game we all agreed to play together. We agreed on roleplay, not rollplay.

Yeah, exactly. I was hoping to get homebrew stuff into my game - but also make sure to check it to ensure balance.

My plan exactly. But it backfired. They all rolled core ruleset to "make it less complicated". As a result my setting suffers because no matter how I try to make the NPCs stand out and the world around them seem alien, they all just huddle up together like a sphincter and pretend everything is completely normal - because they are completely normal.

There's no fapbait in my game. It is completely devoid of sex (since I know half the group has absolutely no interest in it).

Are they a playable race in the setting? Yes? Then what's the problem?

What are you even doing on Veeky Forums if you hate weebs you dumb shit?

Do you get angry at dragons having 6 limbs?

>implying i wouldn't force them to

If they put forth a character concept that happened to be a kitsune?

This thread seems kinda pointless desu

They have to sign a waver saying I'm allowed to make fun of them publicly if they try to ERP with me or anyone else at the table

They're allowed, but as soon as they describe their character as "anime" they have to eat their character sheet

Kill your self

this, if you are playing a kitsune then you are playing something unorthodox, not a "race"

What about Renard the Fox?

Teaching his children how to hide among the Humans sounds like something he'd do

If I'm playing a game where kitsune or some similar "foxfolk" race is a native one.