EDH/Commander General

Most Used Color/Theme Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes:RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Do you have a certain color or decktype that you see most of your decks trend towards?

For instance I've noticed that about 80% of the decks I make have white in them. Most of them like making value tokens as well.

Black and Green.

I can't escape esper or any of the 2 color combos from it.

>Do you have a certain color or decktype that you see most of your decks trend towards?
every deck i play is either mono colored or has white in it
help

>Thread Question
Red. Aggro.

>thread question

green. i'm afraid to leave ramp. :(

Seconding

god's this card is so fun to play with

Always, ALWAYS monocolor. Mostly because I can't afford expensive duals.

I've been wrestling with this for weeks...

What possible justification can I force for putting red into an otherwise u/g merfolk deck? There has to be something.

sometimes drawing cards maybe?

I personally wouldn't add an entire color to the deck just to include a mediocre card

Jori En, Ruin Diver is a good reason.
Razorfin Hunter, less so.
There's also some useful goodstuff you could run, like Sunbird's Invocation, I guess.

I heard you liked to double up on your draw/merfolk lords

I can't really find fucking nuts creatures in Boros.

The better question is: Who is gonna helm an URG merfolk deck?

What?

>Do you have a certain color or decktype that you see most of your decks trend towards?
White is my major color. I love white's tribes and I love equipment which white has the tools to.
My Bruna, the Fading Light Angels deck and Odric, Master Tactician Soldiers deck are my most favorite to play, and my Sram, Senior Edificer deck isn't far in third place either.

I also just feel secure about having the option to say "fuck it, this board is out of control, Hour of Revelation/Descend upon the Sinful/Consulate Crackdown/etc.".

Balefire Liege
Figure of Destiny
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight

>Figure of Destiny
I keep cutting this guy, even out of my Ranger of Eos package. He's pretty much just a boring vanilla beater.

Nearly all Boros creatures are nuts ya chum
>Aurelia, the Warleader
>Iroas, God of Victory
>Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas
>Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
>Tajic, Blade of the Legion
>Akroan Hoplite
>Boros Reckoner

>I keep cutting this guy
thats cause hes shit

Boros is all about the beaters though.

>thread Q
Green is in most of the decks i build. Ramp is 2EZ and fun
Anyways, currently building Etali, and just wanted to know peoples experiences playing with/against her.
My build is pretty vanilla: artifact ramp, couple card draws, some scrying (no scroll rack yet tho, price has me shook) haste enablers, all the extra combats, some fatties, Neheb, and Grenzo.

Shit, what do you expect out of Boros?

>TQ
I find that most of my decks involve tons of token creatures and usually a way to kill people with them that doesn't involve attacking.
My colors can be all over the place though, but will usually have some kind of white/red involved

>Thread Question

Blue/X/Y, 6 EDH decks, all of them three colors, all of them include Blue. All of them include pic related to keep combo decks in check.

I honestly have no problem filling his spot with more interesting things in my Boros build. The "Boros is bad" thing is a meme. It does have more trouble with ramp and card draw than other colors, but the power level difference is not as steep as the meme would lead you to believe.

>have grand abolisher out
>cast lethal vapors
>enchant it with indestructibility

>get killed 40 turns later by a 1/1

I block with grand abolisher who is a 2/2 :^)

Nope, enchantments can get around the etb destroy effect

u bastard

I love colorless too much. Even if my deck has color in it, artifacts will often take up most of my deckspace. My current project is a 5 color deck, and looking at it, I realise I've only got 7 colored spells in it. Artifacts are just so much more pragmatic-- no colorscrew, fantastic synergy, an enormous variety of effects, and all in all just have a cleaner feel to 'em. I started around mirrodin, and played using steel types in Pokemon before it. Metallic affinity has been long pressed into me. Also, I've never played an artifact combo deck, for what it counts.

Out of my 6 decks, four are red. Two of them mono-red.
I would've taken myself to be more of a blue player.

You could also use avacyn and you wouldn't need abolisher or indescribably
It would also protect any creatures you want to play.

>indescribably
Indestructibility*

I had a dude pull the Enchanted Evening/Aura Thief combo when everyone else was T3 since he played Unexpected Results and got Expropriate.

When I'm playing my Azor deck I find he does well in non-cEDH 1v1 by putting my opponent in the CUBES, but I struggle to maintain control with a multiplayer game. I was thinking I could add more flicker effects to protect Azor and reapply his effect, but it's also harder to find wincons outside of Approach and commander damage with him. I could also make it more of a lockdown enchantment deck, what would you guys suggest?

What's the Arabian Nights card in M25?

My guess is either Desert or Kird Ape. Probably the latter.

Shahrazard :^)

Lock them down with enchantments.
Stall to grind out wins with Azor's Elocutors or Darksteel Reactor.
All else fails, drop an Avacyn and go full MLD.

>impractical 3 card combo
>in 100 card singleton
>doesn't do anything to win you the game

MAXIMUM JOHNNY

Oh baby

>Master 25 continues to have 0 value in it outside of like 5 cards

Diagusting

the reprint we've all been waiting for

As someone who just started months ago I'm looking forward to drafting this and trading for some cards, but I can see how if you've played for a while this set looks like another Iconic Masters.

>they printed BOTH akromas at mythic
The absolute madmen!

>as someone who stsrted a month ago im excited to pay 10 dollars a pack for cards worth 10 cents

Literally just by the singles, cracking packs is litrrally the worst thing you can do.monet wise

HOT AKROMA ON AKROMA ACTION*

(*: Akroma on Akroma action will never occur because they have protection from each other)

He said drafting.

MASTERS 25 MYTHIC ROUND-UP

Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Armageddon
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Vendilion Clique
Doomsday
Phyrexian Obliterator
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Imperial Recruiter
Master of the Wild Hunt
Tree of Redemption
Animar, Soul of Elements
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
Chalice of the Void
Ensnaring Bridge

Thoughts?

I love tribal. Even when I don't go tribal, like with my mono-green deck, I still set weird limits like not using any Human creatures. But I've also got Slivers and Goblins as decks, and my Brago deck is a spirit tribal secondary after good ETB effects.

My least tribal decks are probably Niv-Mizzet, Kambal, and Hapatra, but in those I tried to either make them as Izzet/Orzhov as possible, or fill them full of thematically appropriate creatures, like snakes and insects for Hapatra.

So yeah, I'm that guy that Wizards is marketing for these days and I don't win a lot of games because my decks don't tend to be competitive as they could be.

All of those cards are reasonable to see around in Commander, with only the exception of Vendilion Clique and to some degree Doomsday. Only a handful are relevant for Modern or even Legacy, so this was secretly a Commander set.

God damn I miss the old art sometimes, some cards were so fucking good looking.

I find it so hard to put fatties in the deck, besides Etali himself ofc. Mono colored decks (R and W especially) need so much different shit in order to be playable.

Let's see some openers!

Marath?

Incorrect

Zacama then.

Without screeching about 10 dollar packs, most of those seem like... reasonable mythics. I'd rather see Bridge, Chalice, and Recruiter at rare, but only because they're utility effects when the purpose of mythics is to be huge and splashy (Something they've done better and worse over the course of having the Mythic rarity). And those are probably the highest value mythics in the set so it would be foolish to expect them to be dropped down.

I also would have liked to see only one Akroma. True, she's one of Magic's "faces" (after all, she won the pre-TSP Legend poll over Sliver Queen), and all four versions of her are gorgeous art, but you could have done without the repetition in a very competitive slot.

A25 doesn't seem like a good deal at MSRP, but I'm oddly content, from a philosophy standpoint, with their choices of reprints.

Yep, pretty easy desu.

Good job nonetheless.

My gut is driving me to make a temur deck, I want to use the Ixalan Merfolk.

Straightforward Simic Merfolk tribal is a bandwagon. Gotta do something unexpected.

Anyone. Surrak Dragonclaw was an inexpensive idea, Malestrom Wanderer maybe.

In a landbase of 40 cards, how many cycling lands is too much?

I'm looking for a land giving trample to creatures, any ideas?

Bridge and Chalice shouldn't be mythic, same with Recruiter.
Doomsday is a joke, they should have put in Labman at least instead of the fucking tree.
>EDH shit
lol

Kessig Wolf Run also worth mentioning

>Having Doomsday + Labman in limited when they already have Flash + Protean Hulk
Imagine the salt

But she cheats them into play dood. Or i can shuffle them away, is discard them to loot effects

It would have been another combo win at mythic and would be an excuse for having Doomsday in the set.
I do think Labman is a mythic tier card,
because while it's not OP, it does have an interesting alt wincon, and would be the only rare upshifted to mythic I'd be fine with.

Mostly things with black, I feel uneasy when I can't pay life for things and remove creatures effectively. Lately I really got into combo, especially infinite combos, because lifegain/pillowforting/pacifism really stared to make finishing games a chore in my group

It's fine dude, colorless has way too much good ramp anyways. You can ramp like a pro in any color.

Lean towards more versatile removal cards to have as few dead Etali triggers as possible.
For instance, play artifact removal spells that can also blow up lands in case Etali flips one off the top and there are no artifact targets. Hour of Devastation could be preferable to other red wrath spells because it doesn't kill Etali.

>one single card to keep combo decks in check

I don't get it.

>playing with friends
>one guy complains whenever anyone targets him with anything, ever

I mean I get that he wants to play his deck, but you're sitting at a table with like three other people who all also have decks they want to play, too. It's not like we're playing hard control or stax or anything, just regular casual-mid tier decks. It just gets a little frustrating when every single spell or effect is met with an annoyed comment. How does /edhg/ deal with this?

6/15, they could have done much better. And just as I suspected, they have burned almost all their gas in the first part of the spoilers.

The idea of a reprint set isn't it to make cards available to players? Then why do they keep reprinting shit that is easy to get?

Truly disgusting, my dude.

Being a crybaby is a politics strategy that works. You can call him out, but if no one is buying you might just ignore it

Black and Green, and I dont have a single BG deck or even touched anything Golgari.

I have never had a white deck or touched anything with a splash of white.

Laugh in his face and actually target him constantly.

I can't deal with the cycling lands because they all ETB tapped. They're good draws late game, yes, but it's not worth neutering your early game unless your deck literally just sits around casting nothing the first several turns. So I would say none or all of them.

>Straightforward Simic Merfolk tribal is a bandwagon. Gotta do something unexpected

That's a bad motivation to go three color for.

But hey, you'll probably always beat me. Every group has to have a loser.

how good is tajic as a commander? You kinda just board flood but it seems kinda hard in this format

Is Temmet any good?

Not super amazing, he's more of a 99 dude in Aurelia, Iroas, or Alesha.
Even if you're going for boros weenies, Aurelia or Iroas are more reliable choices, better profit and more consistency.

>Being a crybaby is a politics strategy that works.

I really hate that.

Could put in a bunch of land destruction. Wildfire, Destructive Force etc.

Seems pretty powerful and your commander lets you cast stuff for free anyway.

>Anyone.
But if the commander isn't a merfolk, is it really a merfolk deck?

But it's literally complains about some 1 damage trigger tier complaining. Even better is when he gets by far the strongest board out then starts rating of multiple people try to keep him in check.