MtG Art Thread

What are some cards with great art?
What are some great artists?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg9H9LJ2OoGDk-rv1Tz2KuNkgUoRDSHbb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really wanted to make a good EDH deck for her.

There was just nothing she could do that other RW decks (which is already kinda a shitty combination in EDH) decks couldn't do better with a better general.

Feels bad man

It's a casual format full of people playing shitty meme decks, or just bad players playing shitty decks flat, so there's nothing wrong with using a "suboptimal" commander.

>MtG Art Thread

Oh boy, it's 'I Love Titties!' the thread.

Step aside, best MTG artist coming through.

This is now a Seb McKinnon appreciation thread.

best *current MTG artist
I'm gonna be sad when they cut him, and I feel like that might happen sooner than later.

That's a bad thing?

It just didn't function with my playgroup, and I found it rather hard to build around "can't cast spells during combat" and forcing creatures to attack that didn't cause everyone to hate me (when I never got it good enough to deal with that like some decks can), or get really boring and pillowforty.

The only ways I had to make the deck fun to play with my group was to just make it not a Bassandra deck (even if I kept her as the commander), which meant I might as well run Gisela or some other RW general that was more on the theme I actually decided to go with.

Might have been able to pull it off if I invested more time/$ into the concept but we stopped playing EDH a while ago

What if your meta is full tryhard, and you're one of them?

Then you play the kind of deck that I like: "Fuck Yo' Plans" feat, Fumiko the Lowblood and as many wheels as I can get my hands on.

Back on topic though, I always really liked Michael Sutfin's art. It has a nice, crisp kind of style to his linework.

Whoops, forgot the image.

Terese Nielsen loves titties. Were you planning on arguing with her? Seb McKinnon doesn't seem to and he is also 10/10. Cool your jets, user. This is a happy place.

I think Ray Lago was pretty cool. I wonder what happened to him?

Min Yum is the new king, baybee.

He's pretty cool, though I do think his painterly style isn't always the best. Sometimes I feel a card needs the gritty detail of someone like Spencer. Pretty cool stuff though.

I like this art.

Karl Kopinski for me.

If the first post can waifufag, so can I. Plus, I like the colors.

kev walker's always been a favourite

I feel like Adam Rex is pretty underrated

Surgical extraction is one of my favorites, even though it doesn't look nearly as good on the card. You lose half the effect in the cropped version.

I really like that art for terror too. Shame the card isn't that great compared to Doom Blade or Go For the Throat.

Jaime Jones is a personal favorite for me.

My favorite two drop

>wrong neighborhood, mutherfuker! beat him up boys, beat him up!

I fucking hate Homelands so much. It has so much good art, so much good flavor and is so terrible at everything else. I am a sucker for early 90s dark fantasy art and own several cards from that set that are trash but I enjoy seeing.

I once did a home land draft, with 6 boosters each. It was the shit show you expect. Funny as hell tho.

Blowjob pope is a classic.

Bondage fairy is hot.

I've always had a soft spot in my hard for the innistrad vampires, this guy in particular.

One of my recent favourites

Have you ever gotten so angry at a guy not returning your calls that you summoned Cthulhu and then blew up his house?

Hey, at least Ihsan's back.

If this ends up on a playmat I'm going to have to get it. For some reason the Ihsan's Shade rework looks much better than the new Stangg art, even though they both completely threw out everything distinctive about their armor. Maybe it's because Stangg had nothing but his armor due to the lack of any flavor text, or the fact that the twin token looks like a lazy flip.

While I do like this art, I think the original was much more imposing because of how zoomed in it was - it made you think that Ishan was fuckhuge like an FF Iron Giant.

>For some reason
I mean, it's a cool looking spooky knight lit by moonlight. Fits well enough for Ishan, though I'd have also been totally down with that as a new Black Knight, or one of the Paladins.

On the flipside Stangg's just a flat portrait of a grumpy looking asshole. The legends art didn't have much going on either, but at least it had the crazy helmet and sword on display.

>looks like a lazy flip
Doesn't look it, it is a straight flip. Which is just a waste of a unique, legendary token.

New doomsday looks amazing. Hoping to get a playmat

he's always good, and has a very wide range. always seems to nail the backgrounds of his works especially

old art was way, way better. I can see how the old art might not work as well in the terrible new frames, but the old art + the old flavor text was really something

Easily the best current artist, but I'd rate Guay, Ron Spencer, and some of Nielson's stuff above him.

Quite controversial as far as artists goes but dammit im a sucker for his style. Its like everything is made of edges but theyre curvy at the same time, like 2 parralel lines that somehow intertwine at one point.

>no love for RKF
weak taste ITT

was always a big Carl Critchlow fan - happy to see he got some work in Unstable.

so sad to see how digital and clean the game has gone - even the artist everyone on reddit gushes over, noah bradley, is way too computery and digital. his doomsday art has good color but even then you can tell the colors don't look nearly as good as the old ihsan's shade, which makes a much better use of red/black

forgot to attach some sweet critchlow art

Were do you guys get big resolution images of mtg art?

Depends on the artist. Sometimes they'll post high quality versions, other times it'll be hosted on the Wizards site, buried under years and years of inept web design.

Jim Murray, if you're out there, I want a print of Skyknight Legionnaire.

Chris Rahn is one of my favourites. There's always so much plasticity, weight and texture in his pieces.

Also:
Nils Hamm
Dave Kendall
Kev Walker
Jesper Ejsing
Anthony S. Waters (doesn't seem to do MtG art anymore, unfortunately)
obligatory Guay & Nielsen

Yeah, he's a good "newer" artist. I especially like the Pale Rider.

I don't care what anyone says. Vincent Proce is the best MTG artist.

I don't know why but I love this sort of abstract art, it always seems to turn out well on the cards

I like very much Dinosaur Hunter art made by Tianhua X, but cannot find the full resolution.

Jesper Ejsing is legit. Parente is wonderful too. I wish MTG adopted more stylized art like from the golden era, it's far more memorable than *generic digital art piece #9553*.

Fuck that's cool looking. I appreciate art so much more when it's not on a 120x90 piece of cardboard.

In case you haven't seen these.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg9H9LJ2OoGDk-rv1Tz2KuNkgUoRDSHbb
They're really well done.

How can Vincent Proce be the best when Volkan Baga and Donata Giancola exist?

er, donato... woops.

richard wright still puts out good stuff for mtg, pic related. liked pearl lake ancient a lot and several others

There's been a sad lack of Rebecca Guay cards in recent years. Would it kill them to bring her in for promos every now and again? I mean, how long ago was her Path to Exile?

Daily reminder.

traditional art > literally shit > digital art

Terror was THE removal card back then, it was also based in the fear mechanic for Black, where a creature with fear couldnt be blocked save for black (evil) or artifact (robot) creatures.

Not all new art is bad.

It's just that digital art is faster to make and some artists would rather shit ten shit works instead of two good ones in the same amount of time.

>Not all new art is bad.
>posts a hideous muddy mess with zero composition
Nice try, guy.

I don't think she wants to come back. She just does fine art now.

RK POST

MasterRace

This here. This is the art that got me to switch from pokemon to magic. I saw a full-page ad in Scrye magazine for 7th edition that had thorn elemental and Serra angel. I want out and bought a starter set the next day.

Just got this as a play mat and a bunch of his tokens.

>7cmc
>7th edition
>7/7
>7 damage to player

>Beautiful art
>Contrasting red
>Old foil

Truly one of my favourite cards of all time

Posting Larry MacDougal, since nobody else did. I think the Lowryn-Shadowmoore blocks were my favorite era in magic art.

>7dubs

Truly a magical card

It's pretty cool.

I can understand why some people dislike his art, but I really like Drew Tucker watercolors. Now that I use watercolor myself even more.

I like Noah Bradley

those digits

Was it just me or did Unstable have the best general art quality of any recent (non-master) set?

Yeah, loved that set. Best set in the past 3 years imo. Also funny is that unstable had several known regular hearthstone artists do work. Kinda cool to see since hearthstone gets a lot of MTG artists.

Seb McKinnon is top tier.

It had incredible art, lots of variation and a lot or real talent and risk-taking. Unfortunately the card stock was real shit, but hopefully they move that way with future sets in terms of style

My man. Talked to the original magic art store, apparently seb playmats are in the making. Can't wait to pick up Entomb and Pale Rider.

>Took six years to make

Forever my favorite artist, MTG hasn't been the same since Chippy left. His Alara basics are my favorite MTG pieces in the game. I treasure my foils and PILEs of regulars.

As for non-chippy basics this mountain is tops. Really tickles that tolkien itch.

I think that had a lot more to do with RnD than waiting for artists to do their job.

Ah, a fellow man of culture I see.

Not only did they reprint this in M25 as mythic, they picked the nielsen art. For shame wotc! Does anyone else notice all the homogenized art for the most part nowadays- yet nielsen is held like a crown jewel? Like its fine for her to have her style, but who cares about Kane Ferguson, Chippy, rk post, or Ron Spencer! Its bullshit man, just bullshit.

Oh yes, my favorite ones along with Kamigawa mountains and Odyssey basics.

Gisa is bae. Looking for one of her.
Why she so expensive, fa/tg/uys?

She's sort of held up as ~ The Greatest and Most Iconic MTG artist EVER ~ and it's a bad meme that needs to stop.

She's solid, and her style certainly impacted MTG art, but lord almighty she's not near the top. rk post and parente are far more memorable and iconic for MTG's art to me than she ever was.

Heck, the flippin nazi dude's art is more memorable and iconic MTG art for me than Terese's output.

My favorite white card, and my favorite playmat.

Gavony Township has always struck me as such a comfy place to live, reminds me of Oblivion's comfy towns. The playmat I have of this signed by mohrbacher I also treasure.

>His Alara basics are my favorite MTG pieces in the game
*Ron Spears Lorwyn swamp teleports behind you*

Hey man I don't judge, love ron spears. Lorwyn was fantastic art wise and card wise. I'm just a huge sci-fi fag so anything like that aesthetically gets me rock hard. God Alara was the fucking best

I dont care if hes a nazi, his fog is the best, and his sylvan library is a masterpiece. Harold McNeill is an MTG treasure.

One printing. Normal demand.

I think we should all take a moment to remember that Terese put together one of the ugliest card arts of all time, this fuckin' Garruk atrocity.

who /bladerunner/ here

I still am amazed she is Ron Spencer's sister. While that garruk is bad, what a talent for art that family has. Another favorite of mine is Jason Chan.